IMDb > The House on Sorority Row (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

This House Rocks

Author: Horrorf from United States
7 August 2006

I caught this movie on VHS in the early 90s, having Missed it in the 80s I don't know how? I just re-watched it tonight, and I must say YES its a typical 80s slasher movie but it has great Humor and great suspense and A really creepy Killer.The music just adds to the suspense and mood. And you have to love 4 out of 5 Doctors, the house band at the girls party! Just check out that dudes hair!If you like your Horror served straight up ...and you are tired of what Hollywood has been releasing as suspense/horror these days, go rent HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW, pop some popcorn, turn out the lights, and put on some candles, just don't watch it alone,especially on a College campus!

an above average slasher film!

Author: AngryChair from Brentwood, USA
7 August 2006

The House on Sorority Row is one of the better tales of vengeance in the slasher genre.

Sorority girls pull a prank on their house mother, only for her to end up dead and the girls left in a world of trouble. They believe they have covered up the crime, but when night falls someone begins to seek murderous revenge against the sorority sisters. Questions abound, but will anyone be left alive to answer them?

Between director Mark Rosman and a decent cast, this low-budget horror tale rises above many of it's kind. Rosman makes the most of the filming locations while nicely adding stylistic touches to the film with good camera work and some nice imagery. He creates some truly effective moments of psychological horror, as well as physical (with some occasional bloody moments). Ultimately the film manages to build to some good suspense and a claustrophobic finale! Also of note is the lavishly wonderful music score, which provides some beautiful and haunting themes for the film.

A worthy (and under exposed) horror outing for genre fans! Check it out.

*** out of ****

A creepy slasher movie. Positive nostalgia.

Author: dead_dudeINthehouse
10 November 2003

"The House On The Sorority Row" came in the right moment; the early 80's.

The "Friday the 13th" franchise commanded the slasher explosion by 1983.

Tons of slasher movies were released but only few are still in the memory of horror fans. "House On The Sorority Row" may be one of those films that are still remembered and recurred for some slasher fun.

The plot is somewhat inspired by Friday the 13th. The movie starts with Ms. Slater giving birth to a boy... Sadly, she has to abort due to some difficulties. Twenty years later (or more)Ms. Slater -now the owner and director of a sorority house for girls-is killed by the sorority girls. The girls killed her accidentally as they were planning a prank on her. These girls try to hide Ms. Slater's dead body outside the house. Unfortunately to them, the body disappears and suddenly these girls and their boyfriends start to disappear. One by one, these teens are brutally murdered inside and near the Sorority house. Katie Rose (one of the girls that had to do with the murder) finds 2 dead people and believes that Ms. Slater didn't die and now is doing the murders. Katie goes with the Doctor that 20 years witnessed Ms. Slater's abortion. To Katie's surprise, the Doctor confessed that the child didn't die and probably is living inside the house.

Katie and her boyfriend especulate that Ms. Slater's son watched her mother being killed and now is taking revenge. Katie realizes that her friends are still on the house and their lives are in risk. Could it be that Ms. Slater came from the grave and is taking revenge? Is it possible that Ms. Slater's son is alive? Katie and her boyfriend return to the house to solve the mystery and stop the killing spree. Witness one of the most shocking and terrorific endings in slasher cinema.

"House On The Sorority Row" delivers a great slasher experience as it's gory, suspenful, and very well directed. The acing and fun factor are interesting as you can imagine the outcome of the movie but you're never sure about it. The best thing about the movie is the creepy atmosphere. You can say the girls are terrorized while being inside the dark, big house.

This movie was the producer's first and last experiece in the industry. I think these people had a good potential in the genre. This movie is buried in the slasher cementery, just behind the precursor franchises of the genre.

4/10 Overall. On the slasher rating: 7/10

What it lacks in originality it makes up for in competence and entertainment value

Author: sgtking from United States
30 May 2010

'Halloween' certainly inspired many other movies, but some of those films even inspired some themselves. Without 'Friday the 13th' we wouldn't likely have 'My Bloody Valentine' and without 'Black Christmas' we might not have 'Silent Night, Deadly Night.' Roger Corman produced many great cult films in the 1980s, some of which imitated other films that were great hits. The 1982 Slasher flick 'The Slumber Party Massacre' was his contribution to the sub-genre and would make way for a few similar films, such as this little known one. Like 'Slumber,' 'The House on Sorority Row' involves a bunch of young women partying it up and being slaughtered. Sounds like good times, which for the most part it is.

Pros: Fine job done by the cast, and surprisingly the characters are not really interchangeable. A score that's often eerie. Moves at a good pace. Doesn't take itself too seriously. Plenty of creepy sequences. Writer/director Rosman gives the film more style than it deserves. He also creates some suspense.

Cons: Nothing new here. Too many characters, not enough time to really get to know each of them. Pretty dated, especially because of the band playing at the party. It's not much of a mystery who the killer is. Disappointing end.

Final thoughts: This is pretty much a case of "been there, done that," but the film isn't a total washout. You can tell the people in front of and behind the camera were having a good time and trying to make the best film they could. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a hold of a copy, but if you love 80s Slasher flicks like I do then give it a chance.

My rating: 3/5

very good slasher film

Author: dx4lifexpac ( from new york
31 December 2000

another comment said it best a hidden little gem, The House On Sorority Row is a classic horror film, movies like scream and most of all I Know What You Did Last Summer ripped this off, a bunch of Sorority girls pull a prank on the old women who runs the sorority they by accident kill her, and dump her body in a pool that is filthy so they think for the time being the body will be safe there since nobody will swim in the pool, well the body turn up missing and the sorority girls are getting killed one by one. the acting was not that bad at all, and the directing was solid, this is a fav of mine, if you can find it rent it, if not if you have a dvd player buy it, if you're a fan of 80's horror you will love this classic horror film i know i do, i give The House On Sorority Row 8/10

Sorority Slasher Flicks

Author: acidburn-10 from United Kingdom
9 March 2007

Sorority Slasher flicks, you've got to love them, The House On Sorority Row isn't your normal sorority slasher flick though, this one actually has a story, and believe it or not, it's actually a very good one. A couple of sorority girls accidentally kill their housemother and soon enough the girls start disappearing one by one. You can really feel the tension between the girls and everything is very well done even though the movie is fairly predictable.

Now, while other sorority slasher flicks tend to be very tacky with lots of female nudity, this one is actually very stylish and we only get to see two girls get naked (sorry guys, but it'll just have to do). The movie is brilliantly directed and the photography is so incredible that this movie could've been made today. Oh don't you just love these high budget slasher flicks?

The acting is actually very good, Eileen Davidson whose great during her short time in this film, All in all, The House On Sorority Row is a highly entertaining slasher flick with a very clever story, even if very predictable. If you, like me, love high budget slasher flicks with a little brains, this will most likely entertain you as much as it entertained me.

Good 80's slasher flick that is a must see

Author: lthseldy1 from Norfolk, VA
13 March 2002

This is one of your typical 80's slasher horror flicks similar to "Prom Night", "Friday 13th" and all that goes with it. A group of teens dicide to have a party at the owners expence and find out how mean she is when she does not like their behavior. The teens try and get even with the lady by accidently shooting her in a swimming pool and she later comes back to life and kills the girls one by one. This movie is fun to watch but it lacks more explanation as to who the killer really is. After all the girls are dead and only one is left, we find out that her friend the doctor had something to do with "bringing the old lady back to life". Then in the end we find out that it may be her "long lost son" that could have been the killer. Or was it the doctor himself? That was the only part of the film that I couldn't get. Other than that..... I liked it.

Trying to be funny, takes a serious turn!

Author: saint-21
13 August 1999

O.k., lot of alot of elements here! (scream, i know what you did last summer) but in early 80's fashion. This is a pretty good little horror film that i actually enjoyed. Starts out in June of 61' when a woman is giving a painful birth on a dark and rainy night. Speeds up to present day (82). A group of seven college graduates plan to throw a farewell part in a old looking house on sorority row. The house mother gets a little upset (the woman in the beginning giving birth). The plan of the party is shot down. But the girls plan a prank that they think will be a funny sweet revenge, that backfires into a total no laughing nightmare. The house mother is shot dead, so the girls hide her lifeless body in the swimming pool. And proceed on with the party. Then the body turns up missing, and the body count starts. Victims are being stalked and killed. Only thing is The house mothers dead body is found in the attic. ummmm. I wonder if this has anything to do with the beginning!!!!

"The House On Sorority Row:" A House Worth Visiting

Author: eytand94 from United States
31 August 2009

"The House On Sorority Row" is above your average slasher flick. It's up there with "Halloween's" followers like "Friday the 13th," "Prom Night," "My Bloody Valentine" and "Sleepaway Camp." Unlike most slice-and-dice movies, "The House On Sorority Row" actually has a plot, some good acting from the cast, a mysterious killer, and it's not that bloody.

The plot revolves around the 7 girls of Theta-Pi sorority: Katey, Vicki, Liz, Diane, Stevie, Jeanie and Morgan. At the end of their college days, the Thetas decide to have one last fling before they go. However, their evil house mother, Mrs. Slater, is willing to do anything to stop the festivities. But that doesn't mean that the Thetas don't have a plan of their own. They decide to pull a very cruel prank on Mrs. Slater, which is guaranteed to work perfectly. But the prank goes too far, and it results in Mrs. Slater's death. Afraid that the police will suspect them, the girls hide Mrs. Slater's body in the pool. They will have their party and will get rid of the corpse in the morning. Unfortunately, somebody knows what they did, and that person decides that they're going to make the girls of Theta-Pi pay for what they did.

"The House On Sorority Row" is very similar to "Prom Night" and "I Know What You Did Last Summer." However, "Prom Night" and its successor were there before the 1997 box-office smash.

The cast is well-chosen with Kate MacNeil as Katey, Eileen Davidson as Vicki, and the rest of the sorority girls are not bad.

"The House On Sorority Row" does have its flaws, but they are only minor. One of the girls has almost zero lines of dialogue, the film drags just a little bit, and it's so obvious that Lois Kelso Hunt's(who played Mrs. Slater) voice is entirely dubbed, since director Mark Rosman says that her voice was not scary enough for the role. But I did not pay attention to these issues, and I really enjoyed the movie.

The result: Sometimes, what a slasher fan needs is a little bit more than just a hack-em-up film. Some genre fanatics might look for a slasher-thriller. "The House On Sorority Row" is that movie. It offers suspense, a little bit of gore, some of the inevitable female nudity, good characters and a creepy villain. Not to be missed.

Not as bad as I thought

Author: cardboardzombie from England
15 June 2006

I found these film in one of those 4 movie sets on ebay, produced by the obscure Hollywood DVD. I wasn't too keen on watching this one, though when I read the plot I felt like maybe it was worth the watch.

The film is fairly well done for what it is, an independent low budget slasher. It has a great memorable theme tune and an interesting plot, though a very stereotypical one of an '80s horror.

A group of girls grow fed up with the house keeper, the aging Mrs Slater. A prank is pulled, though she ends up shot with a pistol. Her deformed child watches this whole event through the window, and starts picking them off one by one with a sharp object. Elements of Friday the 13th pop up at the end when we see him in a toy's mask.

Overall, it's a good film, if you're willing to accept the times and budget. The main character Katherine is played by a decent actor, and if you liked the movie "I Know What You Did Last Summer" then you may enjoy this one.

I hope you benefit from my review.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]