IMDb > The House on Sorority Row (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

This House Rocks

Author: Horrorf from United States
7 August 2006

I caught this movie on VHS in the early 90s, having Missed it in the 80s I don't know how? I just re-watched it tonight, and I must say YES its a typical 80s slasher movie but it has great Humor and great suspense and A really creepy Killer.The music just adds to the suspense and mood. And you have to love 4 out of 5 Doctors, the house band at the girls party! Just check out that dudes hair!If you like your Horror served straight up ...and you are tired of what Hollywood has been releasing as suspense/horror these days, go rent HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW, pop some popcorn, turn out the lights, and put on some candles, just don't watch it alone,especially on a College campus!

an above average slasher film!

Author: AngryChair from Brentwood, USA
7 August 2006

The House on Sorority Row is one of the better tales of vengeance in the slasher genre.

Sorority girls pull a prank on their house mother, only for her to end up dead and the girls left in a world of trouble. They believe they have covered up the crime, but when night falls someone begins to seek murderous revenge against the sorority sisters. Questions abound, but will anyone be left alive to answer them?

Between director Mark Rosman and a decent cast, this low-budget horror tale rises above many of it's kind. Rosman makes the most of the filming locations while nicely adding stylistic touches to the film with good camera work and some nice imagery. He creates some truly effective moments of psychological horror, as well as physical (with some occasional bloody moments). Ultimately the film manages to build to some good suspense and a claustrophobic finale! Also of note is the lavishly wonderful music score, which provides some beautiful and haunting themes for the film.

A worthy (and under exposed) horror outing for genre fans! Check it out.

*** out of ****

A creepy slasher movie. Positive nostalgia.

Author: dead_dudeINthehouse
10 November 2003

"The House On The Sorority Row" came in the right moment; the early 80's.

The "Friday the 13th" franchise commanded the slasher explosion by 1983.

Tons of slasher movies were released but only few are still in the memory of horror fans. "House On The Sorority Row" may be one of those films that are still remembered and recurred for some slasher fun.

The plot is somewhat inspired by Friday the 13th. The movie starts with Ms. Slater giving birth to a boy... Sadly, she has to abort due to some difficulties. Twenty years later (or more)Ms. Slater -now the owner and director of a sorority house for girls-is killed by the sorority girls. The girls killed her accidentally as they were planning a prank on her. These girls try to hide Ms. Slater's dead body outside the house. Unfortunately to them, the body disappears and suddenly these girls and their boyfriends start to disappear. One by one, these teens are brutally murdered inside and near the Sorority house. Katie Rose (one of the girls that had to do with the murder) finds 2 dead people and believes that Ms. Slater didn't die and now is doing the murders. Katie goes with the Doctor that 20 years witnessed Ms. Slater's abortion. To Katie's surprise, the Doctor confessed that the child didn't die and probably is living inside the house.

Katie and her boyfriend especulate that Ms. Slater's son watched her mother being killed and now is taking revenge. Katie realizes that her friends are still on the house and their lives are in risk. Could it be that Ms. Slater came from the grave and is taking revenge? Is it possible that Ms. Slater's son is alive? Katie and her boyfriend return to the house to solve the mystery and stop the killing spree. Witness one of the most shocking and terrorific endings in slasher cinema.

"House On The Sorority Row" delivers a great slasher experience as it's gory, suspenful, and very well directed. The acing and fun factor are interesting as you can imagine the outcome of the movie but you're never sure about it. The best thing about the movie is the creepy atmosphere. You can say the girls are terrorized while being inside the dark, big house.

This movie was the producer's first and last experiece in the industry. I think these people had a good potential in the genre. This movie is buried in the slasher cementery, just behind the precursor franchises of the genre.

4/10 Overall. On the slasher rating: 7/10

What it lacks in originality it makes up for in competence and entertainment value

Author: sgtking from United States
30 May 2010

'Halloween' certainly inspired many other movies, but some of those films even inspired some themselves. Without 'Friday the 13th' we wouldn't likely have 'My Bloody Valentine' and without 'Black Christmas' we might not have 'Silent Night, Deadly Night.' Roger Corman produced many great cult films in the 1980s, some of which imitated other films that were great hits. The 1982 Slasher flick 'The Slumber Party Massacre' was his contribution to the sub-genre and would make way for a few similar films, such as this little known one. Like 'Slumber,' 'The House on Sorority Row' involves a bunch of young women partying it up and being slaughtered. Sounds like good times, which for the most part it is.

Pros: Fine job done by the cast, and surprisingly the characters are not really interchangeable. A score that's often eerie. Moves at a good pace. Doesn't take itself too seriously. Plenty of creepy sequences. Writer/director Rosman gives the film more style than it deserves. He also creates some suspense.

Cons: Nothing new here. Too many characters, not enough time to really get to know each of them. Pretty dated, especially because of the band playing at the party. It's not much of a mystery who the killer is. Disappointing end.

Final thoughts: This is pretty much a case of "been there, done that," but the film isn't a total washout. You can tell the people in front of and behind the camera were having a good time and trying to make the best film they could. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a hold of a copy, but if you love 80s Slasher flicks like I do then give it a chance.

My rating: 3/5

"The House On Sorority Row:" A House Worth Visiting

Author: eytand94 from United States
31 August 2009

"The House On Sorority Row" is above your average slasher flick. It's up there with "Halloween's" followers like "Friday the 13th," "Prom Night," "My Bloody Valentine" and "Sleepaway Camp." Unlike most slice-and-dice movies, "The House On Sorority Row" actually has a plot, some good acting from the cast, a mysterious killer, and it's not that bloody.

The plot revolves around the 7 girls of Theta-Pi sorority: Katey, Vicki, Liz, Diane, Stevie, Jeanie and Morgan. At the end of their college days, the Thetas decide to have one last fling before they go. However, their evil house mother, Mrs. Slater, is willing to do anything to stop the festivities. But that doesn't mean that the Thetas don't have a plan of their own. They decide to pull a very cruel prank on Mrs. Slater, which is guaranteed to work perfectly. But the prank goes too far, and it results in Mrs. Slater's death. Afraid that the police will suspect them, the girls hide Mrs. Slater's body in the pool. They will have their party and will get rid of the corpse in the morning. Unfortunately, somebody knows what they did, and that person decides that they're going to make the girls of Theta-Pi pay for what they did.

"The House On Sorority Row" is very similar to "Prom Night" and "I Know What You Did Last Summer." However, "Prom Night" and its successor were there before the 1997 box-office smash.

The cast is well-chosen with Kate MacNeil as Katey, Eileen Davidson as Vicki, and the rest of the sorority girls are not bad.

"The House On Sorority Row" does have its flaws, but they are only minor. One of the girls has almost zero lines of dialogue, the film drags just a little bit, and it's so obvious that Lois Kelso Hunt's(who played Mrs. Slater) voice is entirely dubbed, since director Mark Rosman says that her voice was not scary enough for the role. But I did not pay attention to these issues, and I really enjoyed the movie.

The result: Sometimes, what a slasher fan needs is a little bit more than just a hack-em-up film. Some genre fanatics might look for a slasher-thriller. "The House On Sorority Row" is that movie. It offers suspense, a little bit of gore, some of the inevitable female nudity, good characters and a creepy villain. Not to be missed.

***

very good slasher film

Author: dx4lifexpac (dx4lifexpac@aol.com) from new york
31 December 2000

another comment said it best a hidden little gem, The House On Sorority Row is a classic horror film, movies like scream and most of all I Know What You Did Last Summer ripped this off, a bunch of Sorority girls pull a prank on the old women who runs the sorority they by accident kill her, and dump her body in a pool that is filthy so they think for the time being the body will be safe there since nobody will swim in the pool, well the body turn up missing and the sorority girls are getting killed one by one. the acting was not that bad at all, and the directing was solid, this is a fav of mine, if you can find it rent it, if not if you have a dvd player buy it, if you're a fan of 80's horror you will love this classic horror film i know i do, i give The House On Sorority Row 8/10

Terror with a predictable twist!

Author: andell (andell1@juno.com) from Toronto, Canada
26 April 2005

There seems to be a lot that people have to say about this movie, and I will make no exception of this- but I must cast my foot squarely in the camp that says that this was a great 80's slasher flick.

If you look for shocks, then surprise: there are shocks.

If you look for gore, then surprise: there is gore.

And there is suspense, and there is pretty people all about.

This was, after all, what 80's slasher horror was all about. Do not forget that the proliferation of these films in the 1980's was no mistake: if you watch this film, you can watch it either for a good startle, a good lark, or merely as a study in the culture of the time.

Prom Night, Friday the 13th, Halloween...all of them say something about us between the late 70's and the late 80's- a loss of innocence, a loss of restraint, and the depreciation of the antiquated values that came with a homogeneous and repressed society.

In all of those cases, the gloves came off with these slashers; what made this one unique was that it did not swamp us in sequels which repeated the message. Culturally, this study of privilege, of deception, of 'sisterhood,' and yes, even of vengeance stands well because it stands alone.

I will not ruin the movie for anyone, for clearly there are enough spoilers on here if you wish to ruin the surprise of the movie- however as my younger sister, an anti-80's slasher horror critic said to me after watching this one day, this is one creepy, scary movie! If you let yourself enjoy it, and enjoy it for what it is, and what it says about the time before computers, you may just agree!

Good 80's slasher flick that is a must see

Author: lthseldy1 from Norfolk, VA
13 March 2002

This is one of your typical 80's slasher horror flicks similar to "Prom Night", "Friday 13th" and all that goes with it. A group of teens dicide to have a party at the owners expence and find out how mean she is when she does not like their behavior. The teens try and get even with the lady by accidently shooting her in a swimming pool and she later comes back to life and kills the girls one by one. This movie is fun to watch but it lacks more explanation as to who the killer really is. After all the girls are dead and only one is left, we find out that her friend the doctor had something to do with "bringing the old lady back to life". Then in the end we find out that it may be her "long lost son" that could have been the killer. Or was it the doctor himself? That was the only part of the film that I couldn't get. Other than that..... I liked it.

One of the best 80's slasher films ever made!

Author: Prolox from Canada
5 June 2010

After accidentally killing their house mother, following a prank that backfires, seven sorority sisters decide to dump her body in the filthy pool, but attempts to dispose of it goes haywire, when guests for their party they are throwing on campus after the rest of the college kids have left arrive for the evening. However their deed doesn't go unpunished, when a maniac, armed with the house mothers cane, uses it to his/her bloody ends, dispatching them one by one & dumping their bodies in the pool, while the remaining girls attempt to save themselves & figure out who's doing it & end the maniacs bloody crusade. But the big question is did the sorority house mother really die? or did she live & is now out for revenge? (an incident in the films prologue causes her to become somewhat unhinged & capable of murder, as we find out after the opening scene). HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW is easily one of the best horror films ever released in the eighties! unlike most horror entries released to capitalize on the horror movie craze of the 80's, ushered in part by Friday The 13th, SORORITY ROW is a fine example of a really good horror film, tense set-up's executed with style, suspenseful build up's before the characters demise, plot twists, the requisite amount of creative kills, nudity & gore & enough jump out of your seat moments to please even the most demanding of horror buffs. The acting & directing is also a big plus here & it also helps that the cast is attractive (the sorority sisters are gorgeous!) A must see for horror fans, with an entertaining & interesting plot twist. Despite it's claims as a remake, the 2009 film just called SORORITY ROW is not a remake of this films plot & merely borrows a few character traits, the house name & carries a very thin plot to this films about an accidental murder committed by the girls who pledge to cover it up & never speak of the incident, only to be picked off by a maniac eight months later, while brandishing a home made tire iron & not a Caine.

**** stars

A great movie from the 80's

Author: psywizard880 from United States
8 November 2006

I was lucky enough to see this movie and actually was able to go to the house where it was shot. A huge brick mansion. If I remember it right, it used to be the old summer home for the people who owned either Hecht Company or Holchild Khone stores in Maryland. A huge house and grounds, with a huge built in pool. This place was beautiful!!!! Land everywhere, you could not see any main roads at this location. The movie is one of my all time favorites. Something to watch on a rainy night, or just anytime. Of course we all know who Eileen Davidson is from The Young and the Restless. Yes she does show some skin in this one. There were other soap-opera stars as well. Harley Jane Kozack played a great part. I have this movie on VHS and I would love to see it on DVD. Does anyone know where I can pick it up on DVD? A great film to see once, or many other times. I just love it. The house now is still standing, however, it's been sold off as flats. People purchased them and they live there. I would love to see it now.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]