IMDb > Di wu ying (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Di wu ying More at IMDbPro »

Nothing to see here citizen, keep moving.

Author: ckormos1 from United States
3 January 2017

It starts with shiny pretties then cuts to a butterfly figure in Thailand. Pearl appears as the butterfly in costume among many others in costumes to demand who is paying to have her killed. She somehow robs them and leaves. The nonsense continues as we meet her strange gang.

I watched this movie simply because of the leading lady credit. Pearl Cheung made many martial arts movies but I would categorize this as an action comedy. On closer inspection I also see Pearl listed as the producer, director, and script writer. Based on that I am inclined to call this a vanity piece similar to John Liu's movie made in Paris. The total lack of quality in any category other than costumes for the lovely lady supports my inclination.

I watched it once and I am sure I will never watch it again. Sometimes I write a review, this is more of a warning.

Very very strange

Author: Cobainiac (jack_jekel69@hotmail.com) from Virginia, USA
26 July 2001

I and a friend of mine, led by some mysterious force, actually rented this movie a couple of days ago. Let me tell you one thing, do not be misled by the title, THIS MOVIE DOES NOT CONTAIN KUNG FU! It has more to do with elaborate costumes and some of the strangest dialogue I have ever seen than anything to do with actual fighting. As far as I can figure it, this Butterfly woman is like some kind of cruel transvestite Robin Hood who everyone refers to as "mister" despite the fact that she is a woman (I think). This had the hardest plot to follow of any movie I have ever seen, including Against The Drunken Cat Paws, which is, in my opinion, a much better movie, but back to the Dark Lady. In her mild mannered day job she is the boss of a bunch of caveman-looking juvenile thieves that she refers to as "monkeys". The best things about this movie would have to be A). The dubbing of the police chief, who is a kind of bumbling Mr. Magoo B). The soundtrack, which is an equal mix of traditional Chinese music and early 80's dance hall funk beat, and C). by far the real winner, the dialogue, which contains such gems as,"My name is no name. No is my surname and name is my.....name.","I am from Heaven, so of course I am very talented." and the following exchange,"Why are there two Lady Butterflies?" "Yes, I see two of them." The latter two quotes by a character named Houdini(yes I know, but I'm really not making this up). So in conclusion, let me just speak on behalf of everyone who has seen this movie by saying simply,"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Thank you.