IMDb > Christine (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Christine

Christine More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

absolutely stunned

Author: rickdumesnil from Canada
30 October 2012

For sure i thought i would hate this movie but decided to watch it on a late show last night...what the heck ill zap if its boring. Low and behold from the very beginning i was entranced. The story is fun.....the music is good...the actors are excellent....its scary...funny...sad. I just loved it and what a genial ending...the man walking with his radio behind the wreck.Alexandra was a true beauty and in that movie she had the whole package deal.....John Stockwell why isn't he around anymore....now that was a sexy lad...not artificial like some actors of the day. And the actor who played the nerd....felt so dam sorry for him and his facial expressions were so real...i still cringe. Yes a good movie that i should have watched when it came out. OHand lets not forget CHRISTINE wow what a sexy lovely thing.

Great Stephen King adaptation

Author: deatman9 from Canada
26 October 2012

This movie was a really good book to movie conversion. Directed by John Carpenter it really did turn out great and quite similar to the book. The actors did a great job and it really is quite the creepy movies even these days.

This movie is about a young nerdy boy named Arnie. He finds a car he wants to buy and instantly becomes obsessed with it. As he spends time with the car though he begins to see it has a mind of its own...an evil mind that is turning its owner into something evil as well..

This movie was made out of a classic book and they did a great job for once. fans of the book watch this because I truly believe it does the book justice.

Your definition of scary!

Author: anchoreddown from United States
18 August 2012

Christine is one of those movies that is only a horror tale by who made it. A possessed car may not be that scary to some people, but the fact that it's based off a Stephen King novel might scare a few people off. The movie is based around this 1957 Plymoth Fury that was maid in Detriot. The owner is consumed by the car that it takes the man's life. The man's brother who is played by Roberts Blossom later sells it to Arnie who is a young high school nerd kid from the late 70s. He is captivated and it consumes him. This movie skirts the edges of material that you may or may not consider to be horrific, yet in the same manner, it keeps you looking over your shoulder if your in the position of one of the high school bullies. The car itself acts like a stalker and the portrayal of it is really well done. Several visual effects shots were needed to give Christine a life-like for for the devil that she is. Most of these shots were very much cheaply done, yet are seamless when played back in movie-time. There is the argument that some can't see such a beautiful muscle car like her be menacing. The thrills are different for a movie like this with a different pace. Hopefully this will not make the reboot list of 80s movie hits because I certainly can't see this movie getting a remake. It's one of those pieces that is unique and has the quality of storytelling that comes only from the masters who create them.

I never cared about classic cars until now!

Author: nathanschubach from Northwest Ohio
22 July 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this film. It's been out for years, a bunch of my friends have seen it many times over, but I just had to see it for myself. I thought it was great. The characters, the self- awareness of Christine, and the overall feel of terror that this town and group of people found themselves in with this jealous car "alive" and running amuck...it's the combination that makes a great horror movie. Hamburger-loving girlfriends beware! Christine plays no second fiddle!

First off, the music is so important to the character of Christine. Old 50's rock & roll drives this car along its path of destruction, and it is so clear why Stephen King based the era of its construction of the '58 Plymouth Fury in Detroit as their economic downturns were upon them… Christine was not a good spokes model for the car industry up there. Second, the special effects were phenomenal. The reversing crumpled fenders, the busted glass, the charred paint job that somehow found the perfect coat of the rarest color around 20 years after the car model originated…it's a fantasy and a nightmare combined into one.

You need to own this movie. It's a delight. The characters are fully fleshed out (my favorite was the mechanic-shop owner, Will Darnell played by Robert Prosky) and very unique. It's too bad Arnie's parents were complete control freaks; they got the hardest job of trying to come between the car and its owner since the beginning. It really shows what car possession means. I would run out and purchase it on Blu Ray (if it becomes available), but until then, DVD will do.

A Unique Concept in Familiar Territory

Author: amwcsu from United States
16 March 2010

Normally the only unmanned car that works well in above all others is KITT from the 1980's series Knight Rider. But Christine is a very rare exception to the rule. Indeed, she doesn't talk, but she has superpowers: impervious to fire, vandalism, etc.

This movie is a unique concept because you're wondering why is this red 1958 Plymouth so....you know, evil from the assembly line onward. But that's not the only aspect that capture my interest. It's the connection this car has with the film's main character, Artie who is a rather typical geek/bullied teen. He's pushed around by jocks and gear-head punks at school, led by the merciless Buddy Ripperton(yeah, real threatening name, there?) and criticized by his elitist, cold, snotty bitch of mother, Regina. His only sense of freedom and independence is found in Christine, a '58 Plymouth Fury in which he finds in the yard of an old hermit.

The chemistry between Artie Cunningham and Christine is established as Artie himself restores the possessed classic car to her former glory, despite being scoled and harassed by everyone. After Chistine gets beaten, almost destroyed by Ripperton and his goon squad, this is where the magic happens. She(the car)shows her dark side and creates Arnie's as she repairs herself and goes on a mission of revenge and murder killing or almost killing(if you count Artie rescuing his girlfriend Leigh from Christine's unseen choking grip) that interferes their man/machine relationship. You're almost rooting for Arnie and Christine because let's face it: The mother's pissy snob, his classmates are brawny hoodlums. Personally, I could identify with this classic case of intimidation. Besides, Seeing this old-school car kick some serious ass is a rather pleasant experience.

Christine adds a devilish mystique that is makes a fantasy horror film watchable. John Carpenter did his job in making a revenge fantasy done right from the get go. Finally, where did that evil spirit that was embedded into Christine's sheet metal and frame come from? Your guess is as good as mine.

Nothing comes between a man and his own pair of wheels...

Author: Bones Eijnar (namriggs@hotmail.com) from Trondheim, Norway
4 January 2010

John Carpenter's CHRISTINE opens with a murderous car with a personality killing two men even before exiting the warehouse in which it was produced - the crazy wheels should have been stopped right there. Then follows a careful depiction of teenage life, and focusing in on Arnie (Keith Gordon), a nerdy student who's only got one friend (John Stockwell) and finds himself bullied at school by punks, and controlled at home by his parents. All his turmoil reaches redemption as he buys a ragged vintage car and determines to shine it up - he does, and in the process, changes his entire persona. An unbreakable and quite disturbing relationship develops between Arnie and his car, in which he names Christine, who shows herself to have a thriving and evil-minded personality. Adapted from the Stephen King novel, the film is great entertainment, full with great special effects (especially the celebrated bit where Christine rebuilds herself), broadly painted teenage characteristics, tingling score and Carpenter's nice knack of keeping a tight pace.

Do not re-make this. Expand on it.

Author: WolfgangR5150 from United States
7 November 2009

I loved this movie, great old music. Awesome meltdown into insanity and just a good movie all over. I hope they don't re-make this one. I hope they make a sequel. My idea is simple. I would love to see the original cast back minus Arnie since he is dead, maybe a cameo by Keith Gordon would work but bring back John and Alexandria. The story takes place same town etc etc. They are now married and have a son or daughter, maybe make a daughter to show the obsession she could have as well. Anyways, we all saw the car start to regenerate at the last frame of the original. So anyways, she is now of age to drive and it is obvious where this is going but I can see this image of Alexandria in the kitchen and hearing the car pull into the driveway sounding all beat up like it did when arnie bought it. She looks out side and sees the car in bad shape and playing the song she heard when she almost choked in it. Basically this time the car came looking for them and taking their daughters life will be the ultimate payback for Arty dying. I don't know about where you would go with this. But if you could get the cast back I think this would kick the crap out the stuff Hollywood is putting out now.

A fairly scary movie.

Author: Joshua Warren from Norway
2 November 2009

This is not John Carpenter's best film, but it's not a bad one either. It's a fairly scary film, but i wasn't as impressed as I've been with other Carpenter films, or Steven King stories for that sake. This is probably a better book than film.

The acting was good, and the Carpenter way of creating thrills was definitely there. But I also felt the story was a little stiff and predictable. The start was fun, the middle was a little boring, and I really liked the ending. I give this movie a 6/10. Carpenter has admitted to make this film, because it was the only thing available, and i must say it show from time to time. I would advice you to see John Carpenter other films.

Pleasure to burn

Author: Tender-Flesh from United States
19 February 2009

This is one of the few horror films created in a time when violent on screen deaths and super-gore were commonplace where we are given neither and yet still a healthy meat n potatoes, stick to your ribs film is what we get. I've watched this movie probably 10 times and haven't gotten sick of it yet.

One of the things that I feel makes it enduring, much like previous Stephen King books that have been translated to film, is that it differs enough from the source material that, upon learning the plot of the novel, I find the film to be better. Ghostly happenings are eliminated from the storyline, leaving evil Christine to be a bad girl from her very birth. This is one of the better worm-that-turns films, with Arnie Cunningham transforming himself as he rebuilds Christine. Or, perhaps, it is his hard work in rebuilding her that allows her to rebuild him in a more fitting image as her new owner and driver. Little did John Carpenter know that he would be creating such an iconic figure with Christine. If you are lucky enough today to see an exact model of Christine or even a similar body type painted red, the car from this movie is the first thing you will think of. As a kid, after seeing the movie, I wanted a Christine of my own for years because I became obsessed with the chrome and the monstrous engine.

Carpenter wisely chose mainly unknowns for his cast or older B movie actors. The car is the star, not the actors. This was back in the day before Carpenter went soft and he could really make a great film with spectacular pacing and masterful shots. His sparse, subtle musical interludes between classic rock n roll pieces are superb. The heavy synth score reminds me of a few light flavors of artists like Goblin. The best use of Carpenter's theme is set during the gas station attack where Christine is engulfed in fire, chasing the hapless bully, Buddy, down a deserted stretch of road. Unfortunately, that scene doesn't hold up all that well after all these years as if you are paying attention to the roadway, you'll see Christine isn't driving very fast while ablaze. That sort of kills the shot, but back when I first saw it, that scene left an imprint on me as one of the best horror scenes. As I said earlier, it's iconic.

I've heard rumors about remakes and I'm sort of on the fence about that. Some humble advice I'd give to producers would be to hire someone like George Miller who knows his way around car chases. Make sure the car make, model, and color are the same, but maybe show some gory scenes this time. Not over the top nor with every death, but maybe one or two, like a tire tread rolling over and crushing a head or something. Hopefully, a remake will be a remake of this film and not the novel. I find this movie superior to the book in every way.

This is classic

Author: Gunnar_Runar_Ingibjargarson from Reykjavík, Iceland
19 June 2008

She can't (and won't) drive 55.... Stephen King's novel about the twisted love affair between a boy and his car gets transferred to the screen, courtesy of suspense master John Carpenter. Although lacking some of the more outré supernatural elements of the source material, this high-octane cinematic tune-up more than delivers the goods, horror-wise (Christine's midnight rampages will never be forgotten)--as well as being a sly exposé of the random cruelties within the high-school pecking order. Keith Gordon (who has gone on to become a stellar director in his own right, with films such as A Midnight Clear and Mother Night to his credit) gives a wonderfully controlled central performance. Carpenter's atmospheric original score is backed up by a well-chosen collection of rock classics, including George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone" (the titular character's all-too-apt theme song).