IMDb > Christine (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Christine

Christine More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

King + Carptenter = GOLD!

Author: TheScottman from United States
3 May 2006

I loved Christine as a book, but that was in part to the movie, Since I grew up watching this movie. When I read the book I was surprise it was so different. But I didn't have a problem with that, it was a very good adaptation with one of John Carpenter's trade marks Great special effects. I know how they had christine put herself back together, but it's still amazing for the 80's, even by today standards(Because it would be all CGI and look terrible).

I am also surprise that not many horror fans (at least around this area) don't talk about this movie or like it. This is one of carpenter's best, it's up there with "The Thing", "halloween", or "Escape from New York". There arn't too many bad Carpenter movies.

Stephen King has a lot of good stories that are just messed up when they are made into films, but not Christine. King should just let Carpenter or George A. Romero, do all his movies from now on.

P.S. The world will be a sad place once John Carpenter leaves us.

A perfect movie , with a good storyline

Author: mattandlaila from United States
14 April 2006

A very entertaining film i really enjoyed the thought of a car that can restore itself. While watching this movie with my wife i made it clear to her it would be great to own such a vehicle considering she wrecked 5 of mine ,,, The car was a true piece of work ,,cars from the 50,s always had an appeal to them ,,i guess the love story angle ,,that we all share a young guy and his 1st car who will ever forget there 1st car? also what brings the movie closer to heart is the buying or obtaining an old junk ,,and personally fixing or restoring it,,many of us had tried it and failed but the dream is there,,and last i do know many guys that would put there car before there girlfriends,,its those reality's that make this film so entertaining,, A great movie with a good storyline

Beyond desire, is something WAY out of control!

Author: TruPretender from Sundance, Utah
13 February 2006

In some genres, a certain combination will bring out a pretty good story. In this case, Author Stephen King gave us the equation, as well as the solution. The book "Christine" is a horrifying story about the psychotic bond between a school geek, and his demonic car. You have a story about a shiny car that was born bad. It's bad enough as is, but it also goes deeper than just a maniacal machine. This car can love, just as well as it can kill. It has a burning desire for the affection it can receive only by the loneliest of men, with nothing else to live for. It is all very depressing, I will explain.

Putting aside the opening sequence, we have two friends, full of life. One being Arnie, a stereotypical geek with virtually nothing going for him, the other being Dennis, a literal all-American apple-cheek football jock, the kind of guy to help his fellow man out. We find a nice bond with them. Perhaps they grew up together, or maybe their parents were friends. Whatever the case, it's a friendship worth having. Enter Christine, a blood-red Plymouth fury with an eerie past, and a mysterious gravitation field, effective on the most uncommon of men. Arnie is instantly seduced by this man killer of a machine, and once the final connection is made, there is no turning back. Arnie's behavior begins turning and changing in reflection of this unholy presence that destroys its enemies. A once respectful 17 year-old begins to display the most unbecoming of behavior towards his parents, the public authority, and soon, his friend, Dennis. He also reacts violently against the new girl in town, Leigh, who only wants to help.

This film never grows old in it's distinct style and outrageous effects. Acclaimed director John Carpenter of "Halloween" fame brings to the screen, a stylish, eerie, chilling adaptation that also bears within itself a depressing element of a desire that kills. We have Arnie, who desires Christine, who in turn, yearns for his absolute devotion. Human hearts don't work like such, unless it is Christine they desire. The concept also asks the question, what do you want, and what are you willing to give for it? Soon enough, the character Arnie is isolated in his own desire, that grows with both rage and passion every time someone or something interferes with he and his car. Christine is a deadly temptation, as Arnie is the weak desire. Unnatural love takes it's course, while reality, in the form of Dennis and Leigh, goes on. Only so much can occur before evil vengeance is unleashed in a rage beyond control. What puts the depressing part in motion, is the need of the two martyrs to help, but trying to stop Christine is like teaching a bowl of rocks to fly.

Keith Gordon certainly gave us his best as the ill-fated Arnie, which was a long way from almost becoming shark-food in "Jaws 2". We see him transform throughout the entire film, from honest decency, to morbid, selfishness, and the unnatural moments of intimacy with he and the car, are too creepy for words to say. John Stockwell gives the biblical impression of a modern day prophet, in Dennis, a teen who plays life by the rules, not only because he is smart, but because he cares. He has a real heart for friends, and the moral law of nature. Bravo! Alexandra Paul is also good as Leigh. Naive and gentile, but also very smart, and pro-active. Harry Dean Stanton turns in a fine performance, as does the rest of the cast.

John Carpenter was riding the waves of success as his legacy was continuing from "The Fog". He put together a score to suit the film, and a great rock'n'roll soundtrack to fit the conceit of death with tunes of life. All around creepy, and never a dull moment. "Christine" will serve you with chills and thrills to the final cut.

Superb phantasy for it's genre!

Author: (roman11@aol.com) from Palo Alto, CA
17 September 2002

Sure it's hokum and make believe but extremely well done. The plot is about a 1958 Plymouthbut that's not all by a long shot. Keith Gordon is marvelous in the role of Arnie Cunningham making the transition from a spectacled nerd to a,weird,handsome,possessed maniac. The friend played by John Stockwell,the girlfriend played the beautiful Alexandra Paul are very real and convincing in their protrayls. Not to be omitted are the three villians of the high school They are menacing. Robert Prosky's crude, rude and profane junk yard owner is a standout.

I find no fault in the film. Even though I didn't mention all the cast members they deserve kudos. I'ts fascinating and really holds. Great entertainment!

Classic...

Author: poe426 from USA
10 March 2002

As had Stanley Kubrick with THE SHINING, John Carpenter took from Stephen King what was needed to craft a good movie and discarded the rest (which is exactly what Alfred Hitchcock had espoused throughout his career). King tapped into several of the quintessential Twentieth-century archetypes, and Carpenter happens to have been on the same wave length, filtering it through his own cinematic sensibilities. (And, if you think that's easy, just ask King himself, whose Big Screen version of his short story TRUCKS is something less than tolerable.) Few people have been willing to give Carpenter credit where credit is due. (In fact, in at least one interview following the release and general dismissal of the film- by everyone, including King himself- Carpenter ventured that perhaps he had made some mistakes along the way. I beg to differ.) CHRISTINE happens to be the best cinematic treatment of a King story so far- bar none.

This is my favorite movie of all time!

Author: (chvylvr80@aol.com) from Los Angeles California
3 March 2002

Christine is a cinematic masterpiece that certifies the genius of both Stephen King and John Carpenter. Christine is a 1958 Plymouth Fury Sport Coupe with a bad attitude. Keith Gordon does a fantastic job of playing the nerdy Arnie Cunningham and John Stockwell does a great job playing Arnie's jock friend Dennis Guilder. In fact everyone in the film is perfectly cast and is exactly how I envisioned them in the book. This movie has got to be one of the greatest book adaptations that I have ever seen and with a few omissions bring the book to bright red life. In a way, this movie is kind of a love story and the love that Christine and Arnie have for each other is strong. An added plus to this film is a great oldies soundtrack that unfortunatly is not available for sale. John Carpenter's musical score is eerie even for him and adds to the suspense and atmosphere of the film. Harry Dean Stanton makes a small but memorable performance as Rudolph Junkins, the streetwise cop who suspects not everything is kosher with Arnie's car. On a side note, every engine should sound like Christine's Golden Commando V-8. Her exhaust note is music to my ears. Anyway, see the movie, see it now, and then go back to imdb and rate this movie a ten. Anything less would be a crime against humanity. Check out the book too. It's great!

Killer Car.

Author: vamptrampzombie
4 November 2000

This is a great adaption of a great book. The book, however, was more of a ghost story, while the movie keeps the focus on the killer car. I liked the movie alot. Buddy Reperton is one of the greatest jerks in horror movie history. He is a good bad guy, if he could be called that. And the evolution of Arnie from nerd to semi-greaser is fun to watch. Keith Gordon was also in the movie Back to School, and did a similar turn. The oldies soundtrack was good, if you're in to that sort of thing. A recomendation for any Stephen King, or John Carpenter fan.

A superb film, perfectly cast and terrifying

Author: smokehill (smokehill@att.net) from Chancellorsville VA
27 October 2000

One of the finest genuine horror flicks of all time, and all the more impressive because it's achieved strictly through brilliant direction, acting and cinematography rather than cheap gore, predictable "shocks," and the obligatory silicone tits.

I must admit to a bit of bias, since I owned a great many of the awesome MoPar (Chrysler Corp) street-stompers, like this '58 Fury, and I have a great understanding -- nay, sympathy -- for Arnie's obsession with this spectacular breed of car. My twin-carbed Chrysler 300s and Plymouths also evoked a visceral, almost sexual power when you lit 'em up and the tailpipes roared....with the twin four-barrel carbs and 150-mph speedometer, this breed of rumbling metal vampire was as close as Detroit ever got to building a sex goddess.

I've just watched CHRISTINE for the umpteenth time, and still cringed whenever she got smashed. I only hope they did most of this with models or tricked-up Belvederes, not Furys...

If you've overlooked this gem because it sounds schlocky or just because it's Steven King's -- go rent it. Make some popcorn, turn down the lights and get ready for a Hell of a ride....literally.

An Effective,Underrated Horror Classic. John Carpenter and Stephen King at their Best.

Author: jcbutthead86 from United States
4 January 2013

John Carpenter's Christine is an effective,well-made and underrated Horror Classic and was the first and only collaboration between John Carpenter and Stephen King. A great mixture of excellent direction,great characters,atmosphere and a wonderful Rock N'Roll soundtrack,Christine is Carpenter and King at their best,one of the best Stephen King adaptations and one of the best Horror films of the 80s.

Based on Stephen King's novel of the same name,Christine tells the story of a nerdy teen named Arnie Cunningham(Keith Gordon)who discovers a 1957 Red Plymouth named Christine and falls in love. Although wreaked and damaged,Arnie decides to by it and rebuild it. While Arnie rebuilds it,Arnie's best friend notices changes in Arnie's behavior and discovers that Christine is a car with a life of her own and will kill anyone that gets in the way of her and Arnie's relationship. Now,it's up to Dennis and Arnie's girlfriend Leigh(Alexandra Paul)to stop Christine and save Arnie before it's too late.

Christine is an excellent Horror film because this film takes the concept of haunted car and makes it truly creepy and the film works because of the story,characters,suspense and atmosphere. While some people wouldn't find the idea of a haunted scary,Carpenter takes Stephen King's story and makes it frightening and believable where you feel like something in Christine can happen in the real world and that you're not safe or secure,where you feel like any character isn't safe from Christine's wrath,rage or fury. Christine is a character in the film that doesn't say a word in the film but has a evil presence that you feel like she's everywhere at anytime and can strike when she wants to and there's nothing you can do about it because she is powerful and in control. The film and story also seems to have,in my opinion a weird sense of humor and playfulness about itself,whether it's the dialog of the characters or dealing with Christine and how serious the characters are about the situation at hand with Christine,so while the film is downbeat at times,the film doesn't always take itself seriously. I also love how the film portrays teenagers and teenage life in the film,with the three main characters dealing friendships,parents,bullying,love or revenge or life in general,whether it's Arnie and Dennis' friendship or Arnie's troubled relationships with Leigh,his parents,his love for the car Christine or Arnie dealing with school bullies and the film doesn't sugarcoat it. The only other Stephen King Adaptation that I can compare to Christine and deals with teenagers is the Brian De Palma classic Carrie,because while both films have different story lines,both films deal with the concepts of teenage life,revenge and death. Both would make a good double feature. John Carpenter is a master and expert of dread suspense,terror and atmosphere and it is on full display in Christine. John Carpenter uses the Christine car to give the movie a sense of dread and fear every time she shows up,because you never know what Christine's going to do in certain situations and that's one of the things that adds to the terror,you are distracted by Christine's beauty as a car,yet we forget that she is pure evil. The presence and fear by Christine is felt throughout the film and not one character in the film can escape from Christine's brutality and vengeance. Horror fans maybe a little disappointed with the lack of blood and gore that's not shown in the film,but the film doesn't need it or require it because Christine like Carpenter's earlier classic Halloween relies on terror and suspense and Christine isn't dark,gloomy or gory like Carpenter's brilliant The Thing where everyone and everything is doomed at the end. Like I said before earlier Christine has a playfulness and sense of humor and after all the film is about a haunted car. Christine is a Horror film but is pretty light in comparison to Carpenter's early films. The ending of the film is great because it ends on a cliffhanger and will make viewers ask a lot of questions and wonder what will happen.

The whole cast does a great job. Keith Gordon gives the best performance of his acting career as Arnie. Gordon is frightening and believable as Arnie and his transformation from awkward nerd to psycho is excellent and scary. John Stockwell is wonderful as Dennis,Arnie football jock best friend with Stockwell bringing depth to the role and has a good chemistry with Gordon. It's interesting that both Gordon and Stockwell both became film directors later on. Alexandra Paul does a great job as Leigh,the new girl in school who becomes Arnie's girl friend and hates Christine. Robert Prosky gives a fantastic performance as Will Darnell,an auto shop owner that Arnie works for. Harry Dean Stanton does a wonderful job as cop Detective Rudolph Junkins who's investigating Arnie and murders associated with Christine. Roberts Blossom is great and creepy as George LeBay the man who sells Christine to Arnie. Christine Belford(Regina Cunningham)and William Ostrander(Buddy Repperton)give good performances as well. Also look out for an early appearance by Kelly Preston(Roseanne).

John Carpenter's direction in the film is excellent,with Carpenter always moving the camera and giving the film an energy and pace and giving the film a sense of terror and dread when Christine shows up. Great direction,John.

The score by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth is effective and masterful and adds to the film. Another great Carpenter score. The film has a great Rock N'Roll soundtrack with songs like Bad To The Bone(George Thorogood and The Destoyers),Beast Of Burden(The Rolling Stones),Bony Moronie(Larry Williams),Come On,Let's Go(Ritchie Valens),Keep Knockin'(Little Richard),Rock And Roll Is Here To Stay(Danny & The Juniors),Not Fade Away(Buddy Holly and Tanya Tucker),Pledging My Love(Johnny Ace),Harlem Nocturne(The Viscounts),I Wonder Why(Dion & The Belmonts),We Belong Together(Robert & Johnny)and more. Great soundtrack.

In final word,if you love John Carpenter,Stephen King,Horror films or movies about cars I suggest you see Christine,an underrated Horror classic that is among John Carpenter and Stephen King's best. Highly Recommended. 10/10.

Christine

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
9 September 2006

Arnie Cunningham(Keith Gordon, who has never been better)finds a junker Plymoth sitting in a yard for sale. It is shown at the opening of the film to have smashed one automaker's hand with it's hood while suffocating another with carbon monoxide. So we know what Arnie doesn't..that this car whose name is Christine isn't your ordinary Plymoth. Something deep within this car is evil and it grips a demonic hold on whoever drives it. Dennis(John Stockwell), a star football player, tries to warn his best friend to not buy this hunk of junk, but Arnie can not resist it's pull. Arnie's parents do not approve of buying it and his resistance towards them begins here. Arnie is shown as sweet and self-deprecating. He is mistreated by three bullies in machine shop, and the leader plans to assault Arnie, and Dennis who takes up for him with a switchblade knife. They take their anger out on Arnie when he and Dennis report them to the autoshop teacher, by destroying Christine..that will be quite a mistake! The film's main conflict, however, is Leigh(Alexandra Paul)..a hottie who becomes Arnie's love interest. She is truthfully Christine's main nemesis other than the thrill bullies for she comes between the car and Arnie. You see, anyone who comes between Christine and her man must be punished.

I believe Christine gets better every time I watch it. Now, I know the story and/or idea of a car with demonic powers(..not to mention her hold on whoever is the rightful owner)might be regarded as silly, but there's something so compelling about it. I guess what comes out the creepiest is Keith Gordon's transformation as the film continues. He's so self-deprecating and timid, we love him at the beginning which makes what Christine does to him even more tragic. We watch as he begins to resist his parents(using foul language towards them in defiance;even attack his father), turns away from possible love with Leigh{who deeply cares about him}, barking at those who wish to insult his "lady", growing apart from Dennis, and seeing this evil slowly overcome him. We truthfully see what Christine does to those who "become hers". The film also shows that she can repair herself after serious damage is inflicted on her. When the gang of bullies smash her to smithereens, Arnie {..by this time almost completely psychopathic}gives her the extra push to reshape her torso so that they could seek revenge towards those who hurt her.

Despite it's reputation, the film isn't graphic for Carpenter wishes to ratchet up the suspense instead of bloodying the screen. We watch as Christine chases down each of the three who caused her and Arnie harm and the car's wrath brings on an investigation directed toward Arnie. That detective is played by Harry Dead Stanton.

Dennis and Leigh(who both have now realized how evil Christine is thanks to Leigh's near choking death thanks to the evil car)must try and save Arnie before the car destroys him. But, can Arnie be saved? Ultimately, the film is about obsession. Arnie becomes obsessed with Christine and vice versa. But, perhaps Christine finds certain suitors who are weak and need affirmation from someone when life deals them a bad deck. Certainly in Arnie's case, Christine awakens something sinister, though at first he simply gains courage by asking out Leigh and facing overbearing parents. But, by the end we know that the quiet, hurt young man who just wanted more out of life is erased and all that is left is a monster a certain girl created.