IMDb > The Big Score (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Big Score

The Big Score More at IMDbPro »

A cool, fun, exciting, well paced, action packed movie with The Hammer, Shaft, John Saxon and Stack Pierce

Author: The_After_Movie_Diner from United States
18 January 2014

OK, listen up, the rest of the people who have reviewed this movie are either blithering idiots or have never watched a B Movie actioner before. Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson directs and stars in this renegade cop versus a drug syndicate movie which has everything you could possibly ever want from one of these kinds of films. There is gun play, fisticuffs, explosions, great one liners, a damn cool soundtrack and a terrific cast having a ton of fun with the subject matter. Is it true that it's low budget, fairly rare, shot on a lower grade film and sort of illogical in places? yes of course, it's an action film made in the early 80s but that's not why you watch a movie like this. You watch it because Fred Williamson is one of the coolest men on the planet, because The Hammer always gets his man, because the cast list reads like a Whos Who of AWESOMENESS, because it's shot on real locations, because it's fun and gritty and, if you need one more reason, because there are full human body explosions in the movie!!

The Hammer plays a rough and ready, rule breaking cop who gets suspended after a drug bust gone wrong fails to turn up a million dollars in cash. Now this renegade has to clear his name and stop the bad guys who have a vendetta against him and want their money back. It doesn't disappoint. From the opening scene of Williamson undercover dressed like the smoothest pimp you've ever seen to the explosion filled ending it is a well paced, slick, fun, exciting, funny, action filled movie with a soundtrack that sets it on fire. A fairly bad copy is available on YouTube or you can buy it cheap on Amazon. I would suggest you do so. Yes this film needs to be watched and reviewed as what it is. Although the production value might not stand up against a big studio picture, considering it was probably made for 7% of the budget of say, a Beverly Hills Cop, it's a damn fine film and The Hammer knows how to get bang for his buck on screen.

Also, for the other reviewer that said that Black Caesar is the sequel to Hell up in Harlem, it's the other way round. You're on IMDb it would've taken you literally seconds to find that out.

Anyway, please ignore everyone else and give this movie a chance. It's kick ass!

Forget It

Author: clockwork8812 from USA
25 November 2004

This is now the second movie I've seen this year from Fred Willamson that sucked. The first was ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO back in April. While all of these movies are action oriented, the problem is there's no budget, which makes viewing these films a cheap thrill. Here in the cast we get John Saxon, Richard Roundtree, Ed Lauter, Bruce Glover and Joe Spinell, yet the whole affair feels like it was shot on a home video recorder. With a solid cast like that, you keep telling yourself, if only they had a bigger budget, then things would've really been rocking. But there are other flaws that hamper this movie besides the cheap budget. The dialogue. Throughout the entire movie, there are instances where it makes no sense. For example, when Williamson is suspended by the Chicago PD Internal Affairs division because the narcs never recovered a million dollars after a drug bust, Ed Lauter tells him to hand in his gun, but not his badge. And to top things off, Roundtree disappears midway through the movie never to be heard from again. There are so many other instances like this that bog the whole film down, you're better off just watching a re-run of HILL STREET BLUES. On a lighter note, there are a couple times during the film when we get to see real life musicians, like Ramsey Lewis and a soul group whose dressed in white suits with red bow ties that might be the Mac Band. Jay Chattaway's score is once again above par.

Score, 3 out of 10 Stars

If It Does Not Have a Wikipedia Entry...

Author: Nick Florest
17 September 2011

I'm not sure what to vote. This literally showed up in my Netflix suggestions and what I've been doing lately is I've watched these random recommendations while reading the reviews/receptions in their Wikipedia entries... only this is the first time I can't find. There is absolutely nothing on Wikipedia at all about this movie at all.

Usually if there's no entry set up something popular, it will at least be mentioned in a relative entry. Not "The Big Score". I checked Nancy Wilson's page, Fred Williamson's page, John Saxon's page and none of them had it listed. Richard Roundtree's entry is the only one that acknowledges it and there it is non-post.

That's a sign of how bad it is, which leads to an even bigger mystery:

How and why is it on Netflix?

Typical Fred Williamson Movie

Author: mqp from United States
14 November 2006

I saw this movie some years ago. And I've seen many Fred Williamson movies and all I have to say is........"It's a typical Fred Williamson Movie." Most of his movies are cheesy to say the least. If you keep this in mind before viewing the movie, it lessons the blow. I look at his movies as comedy. They are good movies for you and your buddies to get together with some beer and chips and just "rag" on the movies. (Please check out the following Williamson Classics. "Bucktown", "O.G.", "That Man Bolt", Hell up in Harlem...and it's sequel "Black Ceasar".) And also make sure you are drunk and with your friends when watching. However, I must say, the music was pretty decent. It features Jazz greats Ramsey Lewis and Nancy Wilson (who also plays Williamsons women)and R&B greats the Chi-lites.