IMDb > Project A (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
'A' gai wak

Project A More at IMDbPro »'A' gai wak (original title)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

US Version Stinks

Author: marquis de cinema from Boston, MA
16 May 2001

'A' Gai Waak/Project A(1983) is known for the physical comedy performed by its star, Jackie Chan. No one does physical comedy with the same type of bravery like Jackie Chan does here. Physical comedy is the hardest kind of comedy. This is because a person has to be in excellent shape to do the kinds of stunts required in physical comedy.

Project A(1983) is my favorite film of the Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao collaborations. Film proves why they are the Marx Brothers of Kung Fu Comedy. These three actors are at home when working with each other. The fight scene between the head pirate and Chan/Hung/Biao is done at a frantic pace.

The stunts in Project A(1983) are dangerous and daring. They are also filled with energy and style. The stunt on the clock tower is both amazing and breath taking. When it comes to stunt work, Jackie Chan is the best at taking chances in giving action scenes an ounce of authenticity. The actors make the stunts look easier than they actually are.

Jackie Chan does a brilliant job in the dual role of actor and director. As an actor he gives a simple performance that is transcended by his ability to perform incredible stunts. As the director he films the action scenes with high speed energy. The best film for Jackie Chan as actor and director.

The scene with Chan hanging from the clock tower is a fabulous homage to the famous sequence from the silent comedy, Safety Last. Scene shows the actor's love for silent pictures and the Harold Lloyd film. This scene is a throwback to the glory days of silent comedy. Not only does it gives respect to Safety Last(1928) but also stands on its own as something memorable.

The action scenes in the movie make any similar scenes from the average Hollywood action pic look puny. A pure action film that shouldn't be mistaken for intellectual viewing. The fight scenes are done with imagination and passion. Action scenes from Project A(1983) are just as impressive as the action set pieces in Police Story(1985).

Project A(1983) is an entertaining tribute to the great silent pictures of Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd. Jackie Chan plays a character in the Keaton and Lloyd mold. Its this aspect of Jackie Chan's arsenal that makes him a superstar. Project A(1983) is a great example of a film with the techniques of a silent comedy.

In comparing the USA version of the film to the Hong Kong version, I came to the conclusion that the version released here is a travesty. First, the US version is missing some key scenes that made the film funny. Second, the film was badly dubbed and poorly edited for its US release. If I ever got this film on DVD its most likely I will get the Hong Kong version.

Its a pleasure to see Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung fight side by side in Project A. Their films are usually terrific whenever they appear together. The fight scene in the tea house showcases their similar but slightly different brand of fighting technique. Its a shame that these two haven't done anything with each other lately.

One of the top films directed by Jackie Chan besides Police Story(1985), Armour of God 2(1991), and Project A part 2(1987). Ho-Shan Kwan provides the comic relief as the hard headed Captain Chi. Yuen Biao is good in a role that's over shadowed by Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung. A film for fans of action movies and people who want to discover the films of Chan, Hung, and Biao.

Jackie's Best

Author: no-skyline from London, England
26 May 2005

Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao and Samo Heung were all at the height of their considerable powers when this film was made and it shows. This blows just about every other martial arts film out of the water faster than any of San Pao's pirates ever could. With humour, suspense and a half decent plot thrown in to add to the blistering action I found this to be the 'three dragons' most accessible film to a western audience. The humour translates well and three sequences stand out as some of the best action scenes ever put to film the three being Jackie's homage to 'Safety Last' by falling from the clock tower, the bonkers bike chase through increasingly narrow city streets, and the final showdown defeat of San Pao by Jackie, Yuen Biao and Samo (with a little help from Mars and some wayward grenades). This is the pinnacle of Jackie Chans stunt career and is near impossible to better and I doubt that anyone will ever reach this level of stunt excellence again. If you only ever see one Jackie Chan film see this one as it is truly unique.

One of the best from Chan

Author: ag-nor from Trøndelag, Norway
5 December 1999

Pirate Patrol is clearly one of the best and funniest of this film-series with Jackie Chan. It's exciting & funny at the same time and manages to combine this two elements in a successfully way. I remember I saw most of this movies back in the late 80's, and thought they was amusing as hell. The sequel of this one is also good.

(8 out of 10)

Possibly the best Jackie Chan movie

Author: niz from Melbourne, Australia
20 January 1999

Project A combines a complex, twisting plot, a nice historical period setting, typical Chan humour, and of course, many breathtaking fight and stunt sequences. One scene: a bicycle chase though narrow alleys, has to be seen to be believed. The level of invention throughout is awesome, and will never be matched by Hollywood's output. Is this the best Jackie Chan movie? It is definitely a contender, but so many of his films are high quality that it becomes difficult to judge. See it, then make up your own mind.

Great stunts, great fighting

Author: Carl Tano from Trollywood, Sweden
26 July 2001

Incredible movie, it ranks up there with some of Jackie Chan's best movies. It is not to be missed by any martial art-movie fan. The stunts performed in this movie is incredible. The clock tower fall by Jackie Chan is the most amazing one but I also loved some of the falls that Jackie's opponents did, a lot of people must have gotten injured while making this movie. The fighting scenes are top-notch, maybe not quite as good as the ones in Drunken Master II, which still remains my favorite Jackie Chan movie even though this one gets really close. Jackie Chan must be the most exciting man ever to appear in a movie, he risks his life to bring us entertainment, is he dumb, crazy or out of his mind? I don't know, all I know is that he's entertained me more than any other man ever has. Watch this movie and prepare to be amazed.

Fun and action-packed

Author: knsevy from KCMO
9 November 2002

Boy, that lead-in stinks of a rotting cliche, doesn't it? But I really do enjoy this movie. Every time it hits cable, I watch it.

Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung play wonderfully off of each other, even in the dubbed version. The story is realistic enough to be compelling, and the action sequences are superb. My personal favorite is the battle on the bicycles in the narrow back alleys.

The one thing that has made Mr. Chan my favorite martial arts actor is the way his movies infuse humor and slapstick into serious fight scenes, and Project A, in my opinion, does that better than any of his other films.

Highly recommended.

One of Jackie's BEST!!!

Author: Karthik Abhiram from India
30 May 1999

Project A, I feel, is one of Jackie Chan's best movies. It's one of the funniest, most action-packed, most entertaining movies I've ever seen. I'd give it a 10/10. I must have seen this one at least 20-30 times. If you haven't seen it, please do. Chan and his co-stars, Samo Hung and Yuen Biao are really fun to watch, and the stunts are excellent (the bicycle chase scene, the scene in the clock tower,...). Here in India it's available on video and VCD in a severely cut version- scenes are eliminated for no reason at all. This version runs only 90 minutes or so. See the complete version. I've heard Project A Part II is even better, but I haven't been able to see a good print of it. Along with this, Operation Condor: Armour of God II, I feel, are his best.

His best? Probably!

Author: sahuagin from United Kingdom
8 October 2002

Many people state that this film is dated by todays standards! I disagree.... The stunts are incredible and the fight scenes are breath-taking!

Anyone who loves films for sets & scenery will have a field day here!

Just one thing....Get the Hong Kong Legends UK 2 DVD pack with AAALLLLLLL those gorgeous extras, interviews, documentaries and everything else! Well worth the extra 5 squid! (sorry US residents....it isn't available over there!)

One of the greatest adventure movies of all time

Author: minnguy64 from minneapolis, mn
3 March 2004

This is considered by many Jackie Chan's masterpiece and greatest movie he ever made. I would definitely put it in his top 3. I doubt any American action star could do the fights and stunts in this movie - that is what makes this movie so special, as well as a captivating, rousing story. Jackie plays Dragon Ma, a Coast Guard officer at the turn of the century. There are some phenomenal, unique fight scenes in a bar and a hotel that are absolutely classic. Then you have a classic bicycle chase scene and finally one of Jackie's greatest stunts ever where he falls two stories, crashes through a canopy and onto the ground. Jackie took a week to muster enough courage to do the stunt because it was so dangerous.(The scene had to be shot twice because the first time he fell on his neck which you can see in the outtakes.) Incredible. The story continues as Jackie hunts down pirates with his friends Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao, and anytime you get the three of these action stars together, you can be sure you are going to get plenty of action, humor and fun. This movie is one of the greatest adventure movies ever made and is one that a lot of people do not know about. Unfortunately, the American release really botched up some things from the Hong Kong version. Notice the horribly mismatched background music during the fight scenes and some cuts from the original that do nothing to help. You could use this movie as an example in a film class of how music can make - or ruin - a scene. Still, a must-see movie for any Jackie Chan fan.

Jackie's Masterpiece.

Author: magilvilla from Robinson, IL
26 February 2000

Jackie will proably never be able to top this film. It is without a doubt his best movie. Funny, fast paced, and full of action and amazing stunts. I was never bored while watching this movie. This should be released in America as soon as possible. Many fans will be grateful.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]