IMDb > 1990: The Bronx Warriors (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
1990: I guerrieri del Bronx

1990: The Bronx Warriors More at IMDbPro »1990: I guerrieri del Bronx (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

One of the two best movies ever made!

Author: Cristian-3 from 7 Craven Rd., London, England
5 December 2000

Forget "Terminator 2", forget "Jaws" or "The Matrix" or any of those groundbreaking yet utterly predictable movies. What I am reviewing here is simply one (the other being its sequel) of the most fantastic works of art ever committed to celluloid, a movie of such vision and imagery as to haunt anyone who sees it for the rest of their lives. This is a movie that, if you just happen watch it on tv as a child you will be asking people 15 years later what it was and it will become so dear to your heart you'll have owned a copy in every conceivable format. VHS, CED, LD, VCD, DVD, Phase 4 Plasma crystal...well, in the future. If you see it as a teenager it will leave its mark on you and you might actually refuse to see it again because you will not want your fond memories of this movie wrecked, but I assure you, its magic and power will last a lifetime. One day, when you're no longer young, you will look back at this movie and remember what it was like to really feel alive. The main couple will be young forever on film, forever kissing as if each time was the first time. Young forever will remain the heroes.

And this I appreciate about it: finally a movie with teen heroes who actually are teenagers, not 30 year-old Eric Stoltz-types. Our hero was only 17 when he was picked to play the youthful leader of a motorcycle gang.

1990: The Bronx Warriors (1983)

The year is 1990. The place is the Bronx. In an alternate reality where crime has supposedly risen to such impossible heights that the police no longer attempt to enforce the law in the Bronx, Trash and his gang of Riders fight a corrupt corporation's efforts to destroy gang rule in the Bronx.

By 1990 most of the Bronx was owned by the evil Manhattan Corporation. This unscrupulous organisation was bent on dominating and owning the entire Bronx for the financial gains. They used of force to move people out of their homes. Naturally they needed the government out of their way so they exaggerated the Bronx's crime rate to get the government to give up on enforcing the law and left it up to the Manhattan Corporation to rule the place. However there was a flaw in the plan.

The Bronx may belong to the M.C. on paper but it really belonged to street gangs. In an environment where only the strong will survive, the many gather together to become stronger. Tribes are formed and together they protect their property and take justice into their own hands. And ruling over all is The Ogre.

Yes, that would be Fred Williamson! In the year when this was made it was already considered hyper-cool to have Fred Williamson in a movie. And he is here, yet another reason why this movie is AWESOME! As the Ogre, Williamson totally runs the show and steals every scene that he is in. We can see why other gangs fear him. His mere image imposes respect. He is regarded as a king, as THE King of the Bronx by everyone, friend or foe...only his foes don't get to live long, dig?

It's in this lawless world that we meet 17 year-old Trash. This young men is way wise beyond his years. He has the beauty of youth and his eyes reflect the wisdom of ages. Even older members of his gang respect him as their undisputed leader. And they look to him for answers when members of various gangs start showing up dead.

Enter Ann. She runs into the Hell we call The Bronx, runs straight into Trash's arms. Who is this troubled young woman? Who or what is she running away from? This girl shows up out of nowhere, purposedly trying to enter the Bronx and is attacked by members of a gang named "The Zombies". The Zombies rollerskate around in white hockey gear with large epaulets and they tease Ann before closing in for the kill. She is rescued by Trash and she is eternally grateful to him.

The climate in the Bronx is tense. Although most gangs can share the Bronx as long as no one enters the other's turf, all hell can break loose at any moment. Hell..that's what this place is. Hell.

As two members of Trash's gang are making out in the stairs of a building, a lone mailman makes his way up the steps. He is carrying a long parcel. As he makes his way through the ruined building, one of Trash's men threatens the postman. But, there is something fishy here. The postman turns and dispatches the Rider with shots from a rifle he was concealing in the package. Why, IT'S VIC MORROW!!!

VIC MORROW!! One great underrated american actor! Here he plays a great villain, a mercenary working for the Manhattan Corporation. His name is Hammer. He believes in nothing, he will stop at nothing. His only loyalties are to himself. As Hammer, Vic is what Tom Atkins usually tries to be, but only Morrow can be Morrow. A dedicated character actor, Morrow was killed in California, while filming TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE. I remember the very day, July 23, 1982. Morrow is an interesting casting choice because he truly was a Bronx native. He had been playing heavies since 1955's "Blackboard Jungle", an early JD flick, alongside Sidney Poitier, so by this time he had elevated it into an artform in itself! This was his next to last movie. Before that he had also been in a different italian film with James Franciscus named L'ULTIMO SQUALO. His character's last name in that movie was also Hammer, if I remember correctly.

So now I have explained the plot elements and I will not spoil anything else about this fantastic action-horror movie. The stage is set for the ride of your life in this NON-STOP movie where every minute something new happens. Boy, was I surprised to see BIG APE HIMSELF, Mr. George Eastman as Golan, the leader of the Zombies! He has a great little fight scene with someone in the cast...and I really don't want to spoil anything but it is one of my favourite scenes. The Ogre has a henchowoman named "Witch" who is anything but, unless it's meant to say she's enchanting! Like a superheroine from a Marvel comic book (Not DC....they'd never get it right), Witch is a leather clad kitten with a deadly whip! Trash's right hand man, Ice, looked like a young Steve Jobs. ;-) But everything in this movie is so crazy and hypnotic! The costumes of the different gangs, the ruins of the Bronx...this movie plays like a modern-day fantasy-quest!

The acting is a little uneven but this is to be expected in a international co-production where actors speak different languages and have their lines dubbed in afterwards. Mark Gregory as Trash is simply incredible. In more than one touching scenes he actually cries! The tough exteriour is briefly removed so we can get a glimpse of the real man inside.

Ann is played by Stefania Girolami, daughter of actor Ennio Girolami who is also here as the President of the Manhattan Corporation. Director Enzo Castellari has his usual cameo, in this case as the Vice-President.

This is a movie that is incredible, and its sequel was even better!

1990 i guerrieri del Bronx Also Known As: 1990: The Bronx Warriors (1983)

********** Ten stars out of a possible Five!

LEAVE THE BRONX!

Nowhere near as entertaining as I expected, but still quite enjoyable.

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia
10 September 2003

'1990: The Bronx Warriors' is a VERY cheap Italian rip-off of John Carpenter's 'Escape From New York' with a little of 'The Warriors' thrown in. Before I watched it I thought it was going to be a deliriously silly and hugely entertaining trash classic, but I'm afraid for me it just never quite made it. Not that it completely sucks mind you, but I was a bit disappointed. I think if you watched this playing a drinking game where you imbibe every time you see or hear "The Bronx" it might make it a lot more fun! (I said "see" because I was fortunate enough to see this in the original Italian with English subtitles) The two leads are pretty dull, muscleman Trash (Mark Gregory) and runaway rich girl Ann (Stefania Girolami), but the supporting cast includes Vic Morrow (his second last movie), George Eastman (from Joe D'Amato's notorious 'Antropophagus' aka 'The Grim Reaper'), and best of all, blaxploitation legend Fred Williamson ('Black Caesar', 'That Man Bolt', 'From Dusk Til Dawn',etc.etc.). Though why Morrow's character is called Hammer instead of Williamson's is quite puzzling! Anyway, this is quite enjoyable low budget idiocy with some rather laughable looking gangs and enough fight scenes and explosions to satisfy most people. I can't say I was knocked out by it, but it's worth watching, especially if you are a fan of Fred Williamson who steals the movie. But make sure you watch the John Carpenter and Walter Hill classics that "inspired" this first. They are both GENUINE trash classics, not a limp imitation like '1990': The Bronx Warriors'.

inferior copy of The Warriors (1979), but still somewhat entertaining

Author: FieCrier from Upstate New York
11 March 2005

Definitely struck me as an uncredited remake of The Warriors (1979) with elements stolen from Escape from New York (1981).

The Bronx has been abandoned by police, since it has been taken over by gangs. Each gang wears costumes and have matching modes of transportation. A woman runs over a bridge into the Bronx. She's due to inherit the presidency of The Manhattan Corporation, but wants to avoid those people who would have her be just a puppet. After she gets attacked by one gang, another gang saves her and she becomes the girlfriend of their leader, Trash, who has the most feminine walk I've ever seen in a guy. Perhaps that's what too-tight pants does.

Anyway, Trash's gang ends up having to fight their way through a couple other gangs to get to the King of the Bronx, the head of the Tigers, Ogre. Trash also has to deal with traitors in his own gang.

The video I saw unfortunately was cut, so I missed out on the tap-dancing gang (!). There were some silly gangs in The Warriors too, so I guess they were just following that.

Fairly entertaining, but derivative. Don't bother with any cut versions.

Moronic but entertaining Italian ripoff

Author: TheMarquisDeSuave from Worcester, MA
30 July 2006

Ever wanted to see an Italian action flick that manages to simultaneously ripoff "Escape From New York", "The Warriors", and "A Clockwork Orange"? Well, heres your chance. This stupidity in this film reaches near surrealist heights, but is an entertaining way to kill some time. The plot revolves around how the Bronx of the future has become a gang no-man's land. Ruling over it is Fred Williamson as The Ogre. Gang leader Trash gets wind of a police attempt to infiltrate the city to rescue the president's escaped daughter, who has decided to become Trash's girl. He also discovers the man heading the investigation was a former member of his gang.

Already, you're not expecting Shakespeare. This film is DUMB. I mean I feel as if I lost brain cells just watching it. The characters and the gangs are meant to be cool and intimidating in that "Warriors" style, but their bizarre costumes do nothing but cause giggles. I mean a gang of tap-dancers that dresses up like Alex's droogs from "Clockwork Orange" is meant to be taken seriously? Another memorably surreal moment takes place in a meeting on a beach. All the major gang leaders are there to discuss the problem, and pounding drums are heard on the soundtrack. However, due to the camera's zooming out, we see a drummer sitting on the beach providing the soundtrack to the film. I'm not even going to attempt to explain this.

As far as performances are concerned, the usually good and charismatic Vic Morrow and Fred Williamson seem to be only interested in picking up a paycheck. This can also explain Enzo G. Castellari, who is usually seen to be a more competent director. The screenplay is full of tough guy dialog that comes across as wimpy and unintentionally homo erotic. Also, the actor playing Trash has one of the most annoying effeminate voices ever for an action hero. Not to mention that goofy walk of his, which apparently made the actual bikers on the set become convulsed with laughter. The film is entertaining in spots, but due to long length drags occasionally. This film is good for a beer and movie night with some humorous buddies, but don't expect great art (or even a great cult film). (3/10)

Excellent Cheese-fest from Enzo

Author: Michael A. Martinez (aylmer666@juno.com) from Los Angeles, CA
2 November 1998

Although not nearly as cheesy as AFTER THE FALL OF NEW YORK or Castellari's own WARRIORS OF THE WASTELAND, this is sure to please most fans of apocalyptic or THE WARRIORS-type flicks. Takes a few viewings to appreciate, but that awesome music, cool action scenes, and funny Kung-Fu violence make up for the lulls in the script. NOTE - the movie was butchered by about 8 minutes for U.S. release. Try to find an uncut copy if possible, since the U.S. version is missing a lot of action, violence, dialogue, and an entire gang!

These reviews must have been written by the cast and crew.

Author: Leonard Smalls: The Lone Biker of the Apocalypse from Arizona
22 December 2008

Well, it's been a few months since I've seen something as downright poor as "1990: The Bronx Warriors." I'd compare it to Bruno Mattei's "Rats." Plot: The year is 1990. The Bronx, NY has turned into a 'violent wasteland' mostly comprised of sissies riding rollerskates, bikers with brand new, sparkling clean Levi's, and a bunch of horribly costumed 'gangsters.' An obvious homosexual male named 'Trash,' leads the biker gang known as The Riders. They have no real motive or mission, they just live in construction sites and act stupid, not really committing any crime or doing anything interesting. A woman, who happens to be the heiress of a huge corporation, flees to the Bronx so she doesn't become a 'puppet' and The Riders, specifically Trash take a liking to her. A guy named Hammer, who is hired by the corporation, tries to take out the Riders and pretty much succeeds in the end, eliminating everyone cool in the film and leaving the wimpy, weepy Trash to finish him off.

The movie had such potential as a screenplay written by the amazing Dardano Sachetti, but in the hands of Castellari, this turkey doesn't even come out cooked. There are holes, acting that is on-par with a high school play, and stretches of sheer yawn-inducing dialog that the whole thing makes you scratch your head and wonder- could these people really be serious here? There isn't enough gore to make it cool, the costumes are atrocious, and throughout the film we see life going on as normal around the actors. (Cars going by on bridges and highways, kids playing basketball, old people walking the street, etc.) The Bronx hardly seems like a 'wasteland' and aside from the horribly costumed gangsters and 'scavengers,' the only thing wasteful about this film is the fact that money was spent making it. Look for some especially horrible acting from the guy who plays Trash when he forces some tears out in a few scenes. God, it was like watching a student film. What happened, Enzo?

"Escape From New York" it ain't. Italian horror buffs and vintage exploitation junkies can by all means skip this one. For a better example of Castellari's genius, see "The Big Racket" instead.

2 out of 10, kids.

So Bad It's Good

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
28 August 2005

THE BRONX WARRIORS is one of those movies that you can't forget due to the fact that it's so bad . I saw it in 1983 and it's nothing more than an Italian movie trying to cash in one the likes of MAD MAX , THE WARRIORS and most blatant of all that John Carpenter / Kurt Russel movie where the one eyed hero saves President Donald Plesence from the penal colony of New York . I don't wish to bring up national stereotypes but I think Italians make blatant rip offs the same as they make war - Very badly

First of all we see a tough streetwise gang led by Trash ( Mark Gregory ) who sports a leather waist coat and has a frizzy perm . Obviously he's a tough nut because no one ever suggests to him , at least not to his face , that he could have a career as one of the dancers in camp early 80s disco crooners The Boystown gang . His right hand man wears a wermacht uniform and wears glasses . So we have a tough streetwise gang led by a man who dresses like a gay icon and his understudy is bespectacled . Oh I'm scared

I can't remember much about the plot possibly because the storyline might not have a plot , but I think it's set in a post apocalypse scenario or so the characters say . Strangely there's nothing on screen that suggests this since everyone is able to afford gasoline for their motorcycles and cars and all the buildings seem to be intact . I think most of the running time is taken up with Trash going on a quest through New York and bumping into rival gangs including one who wear gold bowler hats led by a woman

" Hi Trash . Where you going ? "

" Ah gotta get to da Bronx " mumbles Mark Gregory who at this point convinced me if The Boystwon Gang didn't want him then he could always try to become a speak your weight machine as a career move . But why should he show any emotion ? If you were menaced by Ruthie Henshall and the cast of a Broadway musical just how scared would you be ?

So Trash continues on his way and finds a friend who is crucified who tells him it was done by fascist cop Hammer

" I can't take the pain anymore Trash "

So instead of calling an ambulance - And there's nothing we've seen that suggests ambulances no longer exist - Trash breaks his friend's neck to save him anymore pain in an emotional scene that suggests that Mark Gregory would have difficulty being employed as a speak your weight machine

To cut a long story short the gangs get together to suggest their move on Hammer ( Vic Morrow ) who do you think turns up ? Only Hammer himself who has his fascist pigs pull out flamethrowers and start frying the gang members . Is it just me or would fascist cops burning gang members have been a good idea earlier since it would have stopped the city falling into a state of anarchy in the first place ? No matter because you forget such things as you see Hammer rant and rave like Hitler on speed until someone kills him .

The End

I'm shocked to read that some people paid money for the DVD . I watched this for free on video over 20 years ago and I still felt ripped off

B Movie, but not even Vic Morrow's voice is there

Author: David Carter from Greenville, GA
1 February 2007

I have seen this movie from Showtime around the same year he died in 1982 and the Italians didn't even keep his voice in the movie ! I can't believe they would just dub out his voice with some cheap imitation because this was one of the last movies Vic Morrow made before he died. I rated this a 2 because I can't say it's awful because Vic is in it. The acting STINGS and everything else is the same junk you saw from the Italians in the 1980's. One point though, the World Trade Centers are shown a few times in the background so that might be worth seeing it for. If you want to see a boring two hours then I recommend it, otherwise just skip it.

Cartoon-like movie which is very appealing

Author: Giovanni rossi (lidia.miroglio@alice.it) from torino, Italy
12 March 2000

I just finished watching this movie tonight,( I saw the complete version). I thought it was actually pretty good, it reminded me a lot of the movie "The warriors by Walter Hill", but even though it reminded me of that movie, because of all the gangs and violence, I must say it didn't rip it off. It was original in it's own. The main character seemed straight out of a comic book. I must admit that the movie flows really nicely it goes fast. The music is nice. And the ending isn't predictable. I recommend it.

a whole lot of cheese goes a long way

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
2 March 2009

1990: The Bronx Warriors. Just look at the title, first of all. The movie is from 1982, and it's about *eight years in the future* where Bronx is a total wasteland, there's a "Manhattan Corporation" that runs things by not-so-shady guys in suits, and it's... damn it, let's face it, it's a rip-off. The Warriors came out a few years before, a smash hit, and the Italian exploitation maestro Enzo G. Castellari (also director of the original Inglorious Bastards) decided to do something unique in the annals of Western movie-making: a Bronxploitation feature! It's got bad dubbing, I mean baaaaad dubbing, a side gang called "The Zombies" that are really a bunch of hockey nuts, plus some gang members who do tap-dancing around their victims, a random drummer keeping the beat during a confrontation scene by the river, and uh, other stuff too like Fred Williamson being Fred Williamson.

So, yeah, you shouldn't expect fine art, but that doesn't mean that Catellari doesn't try, Lord does he! There's lots of SHOTS (I put capitals for a reason) as we see intense close-ups like of Trash crying (done ever so eloquently by the great Mark Gregory... please sense the sarcasm), panorama shots of The Riders riding their bikes through this No Man's Land of the Bronx with *other drivers driving behind them*, of lots of BIG action set-pieces. Did I mention as well that most of this was shot in Brooklyn and Roosevelt Island? To be fair, some wont be able to tell, unless one knows that that, uh, BRIDGE that's in many shots goes not to the Bronx but to Brooklyn, and as well there are actually quite a few good locations used. There were plenty to spare in the 80s that already looked deadened in the projects. So, in that sense, the ripping-off of the Warriors actually pays off.

But 1990 Bronx Warriors should be considered a kind of classic compared to scores of other wretched crap that came out around the same time (not least of which this film's sequel- yes, sequel- and other post-apocalyptic rip-offs like 2019 and Endgame). Now, don't get this review wrong, the writing in the movie is absolutely awful at least half of the time; if a character like, say, anyone has to speak for more than one line it hurts, horribly, such as dialog between Trash and Ann by the seaside. Making up for this though is a whole lotta attitude and so much unintentional (or just accidental) humor that it keeps one glued to the screen. Anything even remotely possible that could be even further exaggerated from Walter Hill's film is taken up for grabs, with a possible touch of Escape from NY thrown in, and the action is actually directed pretty well in that tasteless and trashiest of exploitation/grindhouse/whatever-goes style.

So, get some friends, grab beers, and root for the Riders and the Ogre (yes, that's Williamson) as they face off against scads of cops on horseback (?) all around the Bronx. It's crazy, mindless fun.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]