V (TV Mini-Series 1983– ) Poster

(1983– )

The Invasion Will Be Televised
Matthew Kresal11 November 2009
If a ninety-nine out of a hundred science fiction films fall into being cliché ridden, one will stand out above the rest. V, in its original miniseries, would be one of those that stands above the rest. V is anything but your typical science fiction story of an alien invasion. It is a tale of a fascist (alien) takeover of our society and the resistance of a few in a society to it. As a result V, while a product of the technology and culture of the 1980's, is a timeless piece of science fiction.

One of the elements to V's success is its cast. Leading, so to speak, the cast of human characters are Marc Singer as cameraman Mike Donovan and Faye Grant as med-student turned rebel leader Julie Parrish. Both Singer and Grant give nice performances that, for the most part, come across as real people in extraordinary situations. In fact the performances of the entire cast be described by that last phrase as well ranging from the Maxwell family (Michael Durrell, Penelope Windust as the parents with Blair Tefkin, Viveka Davis and Marin May as their daughters) who find themselves persecuted to the point of joining the resistance much like the Taylor family (Jason Bernard, Richard Lawson and Michael Wright) to the Bernstein family (George Morfogen, Bonnie Bartlett) who find themselves torn between their Visitor friendly son Daniel (David Packer) and the Holocaust survivor grandfather Abraham (Leonardo Cimino). In fact the single best scene involves Abraham, who is wanting to hide the persecuted Maxwell's, reminding his son that this whole situation is all too familiar for the consequences of them not being hidden means "we haven't learned a thing". This is a scene that is not only well acted and well written but incredibly rare in your average science fiction story as well. There's also many other fine members of the cast including Neva Patterson (Donovan's mom), Evan Kim (Donovan's camera partner Tony), Jenny Sullivan (reporter turned Visitor spokeswoman Kristine Walsh) and Kristine Walsh (as Gardener turned rebel Sancho) amongst many others. The human side of the cast is just the tip of the iceberg though.

There's also a fine cast playing the alien "visitors" as well. They range from their seemingly benevolent leader John (played briefly and well by Richard Herd) to Andrew Prine as the authoritative Steven. Then there's the innocent abroad in the form of Robert Englund as Willie and the resistance from within the visitors themselves in the form of Frank Ashmore as Martin and Jenny Neumann as Barbara. Then there is Jane Badler as Diana, perhaps the most attractive and conniving of the alien visitors, who plays the role with a seriousness not usually found in this kind of role. Together they form one of the best, and definitely one of the most diverse, cast of alien invaders ever assembled.

V is also aided by fine work behind the camera. There's the cinematography of John McPherson especially the tracking shot of characters watching the first contact sequence and the scenes in the mother-ship. The production design in the form of the mother ship interiors are fine examples of science fiction sets. There's also the special effects work ranging from the excellent shots of mother-ships (a decade plus before Independence Day) to the aerial dogfight at the end which all work marvelously for the most part despite a very few shots which don't look quite finished. No review of V is complete without mentioned the fine prosthetic work of the miniseries which range from the Visitors true faces to some rather uncomfortable dining sequences. Last, but not least by any means, is the fine score by composer Joe Harnell which takes puts together classical music influences and choir in one of the most unusual and best scores produced for any science fiction television piece I have heard, especially for the opening and closing credits of any part. In short: strong production values go a long way.

To my mind V's ultimate success lies in the script and direction of Kenneth Johnson. V was originally conceived not as a science fiction tale of alien invasion but as the tale of a fascist takeover of the U.S which can still be found deeply embedded in the final product. In fact that is what separates V from many other alien invasion stories. V is about fascism, how people can be lured in by it, how far those in power will go to secure their position, how the average person will react and what happens when ordinary people stand up to resist it. There's also more then a few hints of Nazi Germany as well from the Swastika-like symbol of the Visitors to Friends of the Visitors youth groups (the Hitler Youth) and, before the miniseries is over with, a strong allegory with the Holocaust as well (see the miniseries to get it). Wisely Johnson also puts a fair (but not gratitude) amount of action in as well which helps to compliment the story and move it along. V is embedded in the technology and culture of the 1980's when it was made to sure but that doesn't date the story at all. Instead V becomes, like H.G. Welles War of the Worlds before it, a timeless tale of alien invasion and human resistance to it.

What makes V successful? Well it's large cast of fine actors, nice cinematography, good special effects work, excellent prosthetic work and fine score go along way. Yet the true success of V lies in its script and story. Why? Because ultimately V is not about spaceships and ray-guns but is about people and their reactions to the extraordinary events around them.
16 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
V for Victory!
dakki7814 May 2005
Now this is real sci-fi! Kenneth Johnsons story is (in my opinion) one of the best ever written. While I rank The Tripods as my favourite sci-fi adventure, this will come as a good second.

I wasn't very old when I saw V for the first time, but I can honestly say it blew me away! And even now almost 20 years later I can still watch it and be in awe like I was way back then.

And now I am just waiting for the return of V, which finally seems to be becoming reality. Hopefully it will stick to the basics and not go "overboard" like so many re-makes have done over the years. But with Kenny at the helm I doubt that will be a problem, since I happen to know that the legacy of V means a lot to him.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The TV event of my day
Dan Grant14 June 2000
I was 11 and 12 years old when V first aired. It was on late at night, so I wasn't allowed to stay up and watch it. I taped the show and I would get up at five the next day to watch the adventures of Donovan and company before I went to school. Now granted, I loved TV when I was a kid but nothing captivated me like V. I couldn't get enough of this show. And seeing as it went on for two years, those of us that saw the show were quite frustrated as we waited for the Final Battle to be introduced to us. But that is another review. As for V, it was unlike anything I had ever seen.

Kenneth Johnson introduced us to the situation, it's characters and the tyranny and then he cut us off. He made the first two episodes and as the show ended with Elias spray painting the wall, you sat there and said, "that's it?" You just knew that the Final Battle would have to be made to sum it up and finish the series. And when you think about it, I'll bet this series could have made so much more money if it had been made into a major motion picture. You could have had five movies from this mini-series. But as it stands, you have a five part mini series that just knocked everyone out back in the early 80's.

This series came out 10 years before ID4 and the similarities are astounding. But I really believe that this does it so much better. Right from the beginning we are hurled into the story when Donovan and Tony are in El Salvador or Nicaragua or whatever, and they witness the giant spacecraft hovering over the earth. From there we meet the leaders of the aliens and we are introduced to some of the key players. The set up is great but what makes it so compelling is that none of the people that form resistance groups are super-men or larger than life super-heroes. They are regular, common people that band together for a common cause. Sure many of them are doctors and scientists but you also have the elderly, a cameraman, a Mexican truck driver, a thief, and kids, black, white, jews, christians, atheists and a plethora of others. This makes you feel as though it is somewhat real and the events which are taking place are actually possible. A great touch was Abraham, the elderly Jewish man that is one of the first to take in and hide some so called "fugitives" on the run. He equates the reign of the Visitors as nothing more than Hitleresque imprisonment. He tells his son that when he was eight days old he had to be smuggled in a suitcase in order to flee the Nazi's and that alone should make them want to help.

V introduces and teases us with everything that the Final Battle is going to encompass. Think of the first two V's as Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. They set up Jedi as does V set up Final Battle. I really and truly think that this is the best mini-series ever made and it is the highlight of TV in the 80's. Watch all five back to back to back to back to back and you are in for a treat.

10 out 0f 10
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More than a SciFi
I was reading a comment about this movie made by Lone Solo who states that "V" is a metaphoric SciFi film about nazi and Holocaust. While I agree with him I say that "V" is more than an allegory about this two topics. It is a SciFi miniseries that contains many social comments.

First, of course, Holocaust and nazi.

Second, it shows TV as a powerful tool to reach every single soul on our planet. It also shows how TV can manipulate and brainwash people. Notice that the arrival of the aliens as every single move they do on our planet is covered on TV.

Third, it shows that people can sell their souls even to the devil when they are compensated with expensive gifts. In other words, how materialistic people are.

Fourth, how rich and fortunate we are in having a planet with valuable natural sources as water. At one point, friendly alien tells earthling rebel Donovan "Your planet is rich. I envy you."

Without any doubt, "V" is a powerful SciFi movie that not only entertains (it does it a lot) but also makes us think about our conditions as human beings.

As an interesting note, we can enjoy of a pre-Freddy Krueger Robert Englund as a dumb but nice alien.
28 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic Science Fiction Television
maudejunior21 August 2004
Considered by many to be one of the best in the genre, V is a television classic.

Airing during 'May Sweeps' on NBC over two nights, the mini-series was a surprise ratings smash. Critically praised for it's introspective tale with strong themes, the special effects were top-notch, particularly for television of the time.

NBC had taken a gamble with this cutting-edge, creative, and creepy alien-invasion story that pays off in some memorable performances from members of the large cast.

Twenty-plus years later, Kenneth Johnson's epic V holds up extremely well, it's message of resistance and sacrifice being ever more relevant in this Post- 9/11 world.
36 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic sci-fi
JRmf13 February 2004
First saw 20 years ago and its fascination to me then has not dimmed.

Skillfully told tale of alien contact - "we come in peace" but this soon changed as a deep and premeditated plot by the aliens to enslave/rape the Earth emerged. Obvious overtones common to any invader/oppressive regime in particular The Holocaust.

Strong storyline and characters that one really felt involved with/cared for.

Special effects (especially the at-times wobbly V shuttle craft) not state-of-the-art by today's standards but competently done and more than compensated for by the strength of the storyline.

Would recommend to people who don't particularly like sci-fi, because of the personal side of the story.

10 out of 10.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hey, put that water back!
Falcon-5115 March 2000
Made-For-TV movies of today are poorly acted, exaggerated and make you happy you have a remote control, so you can quickly change channels to X-Files reruns. However back in the 80's many TV movies were brilliant including this one. "V" takes you on an adventure where some aliens try to become friendly with humans and then rip us off. Except they're not after our silverware or jewelry they want the real important stuff like water, and I'm not talking about a couple gallons of Evian. I am talking about the entire world supply. Take time to enjoy a mini-series that will stand for all time. Great performances by all players. Kudos to Marc Singer.
34 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome show!!
Prashant Solomon18 July 2006
This is one of those rare epics that come only once in a blue moon. This is one of the best 'First Contact' genres ever made. No movie on the big screen so far - no, not Independence Day or even Close Encounters of the Third Kind (amongst my favorite films, I might add) have been able to give you the kind of goose pimples that watching 'V' gave me.

The ensemble cast with Marc Singer, Faye Grant, Jane Badler and others have done a fantastic job and Kenneth Johnson has done a superb job making this show. Not only is the storyline and plot very capturing, the characters in this really come to life and you actually get involved with them unlike many other shows. And this is even more amazing because there are SO MANY characters and each one of them has their own story which is depicted very well. I love the way the characters all start off in different settings and events and don't know each other, but gradually they come together.

The Nazi-esquire theme also works out well. The special effects for 1983 are cool enough to be used today and the lasagnas on 'V' are the absolutely coolest ones ever. Better than Star Trek 'phasers' or Star Wars 'blasters'. Not to mention the Mother Ships and the various classes of shuttles.

This is a good one and this is certainly something I am hoping they give more. Either a movie or a remake. There is supposed to be a 'V-The next generation' in the making. I can hardly wait!
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
V as Vigileance (dvd)
leplatypus7 July 2012
"V" and me is a long story: it has been broadcast in France in 1985 and it was a huge hit: Sadly, as it was Monday night, my brother and me couldn't watch it. Indeed, our parents allowed us only Tuesday to watch TV after dinner. But as past legends, we were told the stories by our friends at school. Next, i was able to watch it on a rerun maybe 5 years later but i missed the essential episode, that is to say the first one. Thus, i never knew how the visitors arrived. Next, the DVD came out but there was only the first series (the two episodes of Johnson). It's only in 2004 in a London trip that i found the DVD of the "Final Battle" in English only. Finally, it's when i collected them all that a lavish collection with all episodes was released in France that I couldn't buy so.

Now, i can watch peacefully my DVD thirty years after the release and the show is still a incredible one. It begins with great credits with this iconic painted V and the great musical theme. Sure the special effect are outdated but that's not the point otherwise we would never watch old movies as well. Maybe what's more annoying would be the short-cuts in the story: Why did Visitors conspire in English when they are alone in their own mothership ? Also, the events are ultra fast (as the scientist conspiring or the pregnancy) which made them unlikely and they do too much operations inside the mothership. For sci-fi fan, it wouldn't be very original because "V" strips a lot of classics ("Episode IV", "4th dimension", "War of the worlds").

However, those cunning visitors allow the best lesson of democracy mass audiences can find. That's why this show would be always accurate. In short, it says that dictatorship comes ala ways under a mask. When its evil roots have taken, the pluralism is the first victim and the only way to restore liberty and freedom is the fight.

What's original and totally truth in this show is that the resistance or terror are personal choices and it can bring strangers together or divide families as well. It's very different from what we see today when heroic characters are Potus, the army, police, which may be a signal that fascism is indeed coming.

The so awaited first episode of the arrival is brilliantly directed and totally anticipatory. The invasion can be followed live on streets as well on TV. The news keep going on the screens of all the key families and it's a good trick to tell the story as well to introduce the characters.

Finally, it's one of the few shows that deals with an extended cast in which all of them are real good. I have never seen them in anything else (except from the deadly Freddy) but they were unforgettable in those "V" shows! In addition, it's cool to have a show wrapping all the story lines at the end.

Our young generations should take a look at this show and find inspiration for the nowadays threats that keep going stronger!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Girl Power!!
rooprect18 May 2008
Long before Janeway (Kate Mulgrew) assumed command of the Starship Enterprise, long before 80s prettyboy Starbuck (Dirk Benedict) had a sex change turning him into Katee Sackhoff ...there was "V".

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, it was unheard of to put a woman in power (the honourable Mrs. Margaret Thatcher notwithstanding), but here we see a series that pushed the envelope. Not only was the antagonist (beautiful Jane Badler) one of the most formidable characters in scifi history, but the leader of the good guys (Faye Grant) was one tough cookie herself. Throw into the mix a few beefcakey gents with great abs and whose shirts always seem to fall off, and you've got yourself a great show for the ladies.

Me, I'm actually a dude. All the same, I love shows that offer a viewpoint contrary to the usual male-dominated adventures that Hollywood churned out for the first 100 years. This was one of the first shows that really gave women proper credit for being leaders and warriors (and genocidal villains). Faye Grant delivers a particularly powerful performance as an ordinary geek who's suddenly thrust into leading the human race to salvation--not your typical born leader yet one who accepts the responsibility nonetheless and does it with passion.

Jane Badler... *phew, a moment of silence for bodacious Jane Badler, please* ... all I can say is she was the fantasy gal that got me through me pre-pubescent years. Homina homina.

Sure, the show has many flaws befitting an 80s TV series. It can seem cartoony at times, predictable and cheezy. But this is what made 80s TV so GREAT! Today's kids may have a tough time understanding it, but they should give it a try just the same. The overall quality and production of this miniseries was stellar, with special effects that were so colossal they were used 10 years later in the motion picture "Independence Day". Created and directed by Kenneth Johnson ("The Incredible Hulk") and musically scored by Joseph Harnell (again, "The Incredible Hulk" ...best made-for-TV music ever), this miniseries was nothing short of huge. Any kid who was alive back in 83 HAD to see this or else risk getting pummelled in school gym class.

Being, I dunno, 6 years old at the time, I hardly noticed some of the complex themes this show introduced. The miniseries has a very WWII-era slant to it with many allusions to fascism, political deception and the underground movement to liberate an oppressed race. At times you feel like you could be watching a historical recount of Nazi occupation. Other times the show makes a pretty strong argument for vegetarianism, especially after you see human beings being prodded and carted off to slaughterhouses. And on an individual level we see an intricate soap opera of human behaviour, how people are driven by different passions (for better or worse) in extreme situations. The overall theme, which keeps recurring throughout the whole series, seems to be that everyone can make a difference regardless of age, sex, size or stature. This show makes you want to go out and kick some butt, fight for what you believe in, vive la resistance, or maybe I should just hold up 2 fingers and say "V". Rock on!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best thing to ever hit the TV screens
si_lad749 January 2004
What more can I say..... V was simply a superb piece of work. Great special effects, great story line and a great cast. Good luck to Kenny Johnson as he tries to get V: The Next Generation off the ground. It's going to be great to see V back on the screens after over 20 years.
28 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
v's love rats
kai ringler3 April 2010
i loved this series growing up as a kid, it was one of my fav's along with the movies,, this movie seems to have it all it sets the stage for the series,, you have michael ironside, robert englund jane badler faye grant evan c kim,, the list goes on and on,, what a great story , you got aliens visiting our planet and trying to deceive us by saying they are our friends,, all the want is water they say , for their dying planet,, well a couple of our main heroes don't buy into that idea and they are off to prove to the whole world that the visitors are not who they appear to be. they are called the resistance led by Mike Donavan , and Julie, there is also something called the 5th column a secret society of V's that are against the leader,, they are led by Martin,, Dianne is the captain of the Mothership and no one dare crosses her ,, she is assisted by Lydia who doesn't get along well with others.. all in all this is one of the better TV movies of all time i think,,
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Independence Day
caspian19784 January 2005
I was 5 years old when the series premiered on television. It was the biggest and to me, the greatest science fiction show ever made! More than 20 years have pasted, and still, to a degree, the show remains strong. Even though the special effects are now considered lame and at times funny, the show in itself was a giant milestone for network history. The Beastmaster, Marc Singer is the poster child for early 80's cool. Richard Hatch must have asked for too much money. You could not of had movies like Independence Day if V wasn't made. Today, video shelves have the original 3 hour mini series with a separate tape, "the final battle." The following year has not yet been made available for the public.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Definite undertones of how the Nazis gained power
Maniac-929 January 2012
Other then small differences like the V's being aliens the way they assimilated power and conquered the earth is very similar to how the Nazi's took power of Germany in the 1930's.

The V's like the Nazi's had a charismatic leader, brainwashing and propaganda in the media. Even the uniforms of the V soldiers is very similar to the storm trooper soldiers of the Nazi and they use the same Red and Black colors.

Same way that the Nazi's used hope for the future to help influence the population the V's used a cure for things like cancer and other ailments. Early terrorist attacks on the V's were blamed on scientists in the same manner that the Nazi's did the same to communists. This miniseries shows society can be swayed by easy answers and charisma.
The Belly of the Whale
Andy (film-critic)21 May 2009
"V: The Miniseries" captured the attention of the 80s. It was what American audiences needed after such success of "Star Wars" and "Star Trek", it was a new chapter of science fiction, and the marketing gurus behind it were ready to make history. Released in 1983, this short chapter is part of a bigger idea, but it was a powerful start to that idea. Randomly, what I invisioned a Tuesday afternoon, the sky is flooded with huge alien spacecraft ready to make contact. We are scared, the flush of the unknown is heavy, but as soon as we see that they look just like us - we are calmed. They want resources, talk of a dying planet, and even during a Cold War, we - the nations of the world - extend an open hand to them. It is the beginning of the end ... well, so to speak.

Nearly 26 years after its original release on television, "V: The Miniseries" is continually voted one of the top cult shows of the 80s, and one can agree - it is a poineering show for television, but the pressing question is - does it still hold up after all of these years? With CGI a staple in Hollywood, and the science fiction genre proving to be a lucrative endeavor, does "V" feel all-powerful, or is it just another hokie film masquerading history with reptilian creatures? Passivly, the response is yes. "V" (excluding "The Final Battle") was a fantastic miniseries in the 80s, and continues to provide unparalleled entertainment today. What lacks in an elongated story pressured by history, it overloads with magnificent visuals. Consider "V" in the 80s to be the "Battlestar Galactica" of today -- thrilling characters, the idea of the unknown, and the creatures that will leave a lasting, and iconic, impression for weeks after viewing. Yet, a modern viewing will have to patiently wait for the reward as it arrives in waves throughout the entire three hours. A bold opening, the over-zealous spacecraft appearing in the skyline, the fear of the unknown, and the arrival of those red suits will pull you in, but then it slows as we introduce characters (both big and small), and further bring connections between 1983 and German influences in the 1940s. Patience is more than a virtue with this series, as it is important to watch through the ending, there are just small details that pull away from the overall impact of the show. The scientist elimination and discrimination was random - at first - having to readjust your concept of "why" - we are jolted from a sudden disappearance to a hatred from both the alien race and human. It was shocking to see how quickly one human could turn on another - but again - it was at that time when Kenneth Johnson was pushing the German/Jewish undertones. A stronger transition from alien arrival to a debunk of social standards would make the flow stronger, and allow modern eyes to adjust.

This said, "V: The Miniseries" is more than just your 8pm Wednesday science fiction, it is symbolic, hurtful, idealistic, charming, incredibly 80s, and pioneering for today's television. Between this and Lynch's "Twin Peaks", it is shameful to think "Lost" is that creative. "V" is a great show to watch, and from a personal standpoint, I loved watching everything Johnson brought to the screen. The posters within the film are as vibrant and vintage as when released. The visual of red spraypaint creating that V on the cartoonish prints are just as important as that of the first discovery of the reptile. It was a slice of my youth, but it is not a show that I could watch again and again. The intensity was high, the acting was mid-level, and the central story (outside of the action-packed intro and outro) was mediocre at best. I wanted to fall back in love with this show, but the middle drama was overly symbolic. I didn't need overbearing Nazi implications, I wanted to discover it for myself. Johnson, again, did a great job - just a bit too pushy with the message.

The DVD itself was not as sharp as modern discs, but it was an 80s TV show. It felt like it was coming on TV for the first time, complete with lackluster colors and over-budgeted special effects. I liked this style and release, and am highly excited about jumping into "The Final Battle". For this chapter, I liked what I saw - what I was re-exposed to - I just didn't love it as I did was I was 7.

Grade: *** 1/2 out of *****
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The start of a good series.
Sonya Woods19 February 2002
This is how the wonderful series started. The Visitors come down to earth acting real nice trying to suck up to the people when what they really want is them and their water. All of the water. Don't trust the lizards and don't be a traitor and work with them.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The epic Miniseries that makes you think!
RainDar867 July 2001
The epic 80's Miniseries had everything a sci-fi fan could ask for, aliens,spaceships,ray guns and action pack excitement. I originally saw V when it originally aired in 1983. I now own the DVD and the Film never looked better. For fans of scifi nothing out their can touch V in it's ability to tell a realistic alien invasion story with flesh out character Development. I would give V a 10 out of 10.
The high budget film of the TV movie Independence Day ID4
singe-33 May 2001
Independence Day ID4 was probably the film I have had the most excited anticipation for. V had produced cracking entertainment for a TV movie with limited budget, actors that would go on to horrendous straight to video movies and unknown directors. What a great movie ID4 was going to be with the opposite of all that. Er... Everyone came out of the cinema saying it was just a crap version of V. And it was. But where I am sure they were pretending V was not up to much, it not being very cool to like 80s TV programmes, what they really acknowledged was how good V is.

Everyone knows that TV series are not as good as they used to be. This one is so good it really should have been a film. It is probably too long for some people's filmic attention span but that just means more interesting characterisations for the rest of us. It is probably also too intelligent for some people's expectations of a film but that just makes them stupid. So much is covered and so many styles are incorporated even to the extent of including a hilariously bad rendition of the Star Wars theme when the aliens land.

As a final word on how good it is, compare the special effects of V with ID4. Apart from the alien effects, V's are better. As for the computer game....
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The thinking man's action miniseries
severe_td17 June 2004
"V" is one of those rare TV miniseries that manages to contain action, decent special effects (especially for 1983), and a storyline that actually makes you think. It's not without flaws, but if you overlook its faults, this miniseries can be both entertaining and thought-provoking.

Yes, yes, Kenneth Johnson went over the top with the Visitors' similarities to the Nazis, right down to their "symbol". Yes, there were a few continuity errors and plot points that didn't quite make sense. Yes, you had to suspend your sense of believability in various aspects of the film. However...

The miniseries did a good job portraying a lot of interesting character stories and traits that you don't otherwise find in most action films. Consider the following:

1) Mike Donovan's relationship with his mother was complex and interesting in itself. Donovan's mother, who had apparently been through a tough life, desired power and the ability to live "the good life" so much that she literally closed her eyes to everything that was happening around her. Even the Visitors' kidnapping of her only grandchild didn't faze her. Eventually she completely turned on Mike, and finally turned on her Visitor friend at the end when it appeared the Visitors were losing the war. This sort of character is very real, and I'm sure all of us know people who will switch allegiances at the drop of a hat.

2) The depiction of both earth people who assist the Visitors and the Visitor "5th Column", who are secretly sabotaging their people's own mission, provides us with good examples of people turning on their own kind for reasons of greed or morality.

3) The Daniel Berstein character, obviously looking for direction in life, never quite fitting in with the 1980s earth world, was fascinating. It was totally believable how he fell in with the Visitors and became an officer in their army, just to feel like he belonged. Even the torture of his parents and murder of his grandfather only lightly affected him.

4) The internal squabbling between the Visitor high command was also interesting, especially given that they all generally had the same goal. Diana wanted the mission to proceed as more of a giant scientific experiment, while other Visitor higher-ups wanted it to be strictly a military mission.

Sadly, Kenneth Johnson was not involved with V:The Final Battle, and it showed. The Final Battle was more of a pure action film, while the original V was a lot deeper. Remember the "message" that the humans sent to the Visitor's "enemy", asking for help? Notice that was never referenced again in the Final Battle. Twenty years later, Johnson is picking up where he left off! "V" is going to have a sequel, but it will essentially ignore The Final Battle and pretend it didn't exist. Instead, the humans will be assisted by the Visitors' enemy, who I presume got the message. I hope this miniseries actually gets off the ground and appears on TV. I'd love to see what Johnson can do with it. Supposedly Jane Badler, Marc Singer, and Faye Grant will reprise their roles. I don't understand how they can do such a thing, all being 20 years older. We'll see...
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reptilian Invasion
Claudio Carvalho27 May 2006
The main cities of Earth are surprisingly visited by fifty-one huge alien spacecrafts, and their leader introduces themselves as a friend people looking for cooperation with earthlings. Sooner, they blame the scientists of sabotage and uprising against the visitors. The journalist Mike Donovan (Marc Singer) discloses the real intentions and the reptile appearance of the aliens, while groups of people organize resistance against the invaders.

"V" was a successful miniseries broadcasted in the 80's in Brazil. However, it has never been released on video or DVD in my country. I recently bought the imported DVD and after watching it, I still like this film a lot. The good story is an adaptation of a masquerade alien invasion with the Nazi actions and people reaction and resistance in Europe before and along World War II. After twenty-three years, this dramatic and full of action movie has not aged and is still one of the best science-fiction for TV. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Not Available"
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
where are the mini series of yesteryear?
sharkey19722 August 2006
I can remember watching this the first time it ran on TV. After Close Encounters and ET, it was almost refreshing to see aliens who were evil and bent on taking over the planet. I was impressed with the of the piece, the allusions to Nazi Germany and the idea of how everyone would react to such a takover.

Now, over 23 years later, I watch this series and want to weep for the lack of good, original programming that we have now. For all it's faults, it's slightly melodramatic tone, etc, this mini series was such a superior piece of television that that alone overshadows any flaws one might want to nitpick. The characters--and there are many--are all given good backstories and we care about them. The scope of what this series did was phenomenal, with both production design and story.

Many people have said the sequel was not as good, and it's true that it abandoned any undertones of significance for a more linear story, but it did give a good wrap up. I loved the idea that we could defeat the aliens by using biology and not super weapons. While stealing straight from H G Wells, it was a wonderful ending that made logical sense. I just wish Elizabeth had saved the world the way she did in the book, by using the computer, instead of the mystical rays emitted from her body. This didn't get explained and was a reach, but it can be forgiven in view of the other strong points.

Just to point out, this series came out the same year as the Thorn Birds. It makes you ask, what has happened to television? Does no one want to take risks anymore?
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A World Defending Itself against Evil Deceitful Aliens
ninfar14 January 2007
I am a fan of classic 50's science-fiction movies..but I just love "V", ALL of it..the whole thing makes you feel like you are right there fighting with them.I also am a fan of the original "Star Trek",which makes you feel you are right there with them.That is very important to me and I feel to a lot of people.The whole story in itself makes ones own mind and imagine think hard about our own planets countries in chaos,war and heavy problems,like former posts commented on.Would we as a world unite and fight "together" this evil foe from outer space??or react like the story shows it?All I can say is TV today is horrible beyond words.There is a lot of gore,killing without any feeling or human emotion into it.I haven't seen a good TV mini series yet since "V".I think TV back in the 80's was far superior in acting and imagination then now.I would be so excited if any of the TV stations would take on a continuation of this fabulous,sci-fi,drama,adventure.I just hope beyond words whoever is in charge of this continuation will keep to the original "feeling" of the story.I just love all the actress's and actors in it.They all where perfect for the part.I also don't see anything wrong in the special effects either.I have seen some rather lousy special effects in today's movies that are not as good as what they did in "V'What more can I say,except,if you don't watch it,you are really missing something very special.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hungry reptile/human-like visitors! "Do Not trust Them!"
palexandersquires22 February 2005
They Came, in a fleet of 50 spaceships, We were fooled by their offers of the hand of friendship, we should of known by their funny voices, that they were aliens. Only E.T.was a proper friend, his excuse for visiting our planet, was he was left behind by his mum and dad! These aliens, under a false story uttered by John, was their planet was in a survival crisis turmoil. and we believed them! and that Diana was a complete baddie! she looked beautiful on the surface, the old saying is,And I quote, " Do Not Judge A Book by it's cover" the book may look nice outside, but inside it may be vile and nasty! their real motive, was discovered by the brave Mike Donovan/Marc Singer! was to suck us dry!!!! and harvest us for of all things FOOD! as Martin showed him.I thought, Good old martin and the 5th columnists! I would of offered my services to the resistance! I also thought that Diana's conversion chamber was very barbaric! I quite liked their shuttle crafts, they seen very easy to fly! with only 2 controls for left and right and up and down! and the laser cannons are on a push button on these controls.the most alarming fact, was they was also draining all our rivers dry, until the resistance movement blew up a pumping station. I also did not like Donovan's mother, she was bribed by Steven to be on their side, I also thought that Ham Tyler was a good organiser of tactics against all visitors! I quite liked cute Elizabeth, but even she too was part visitor and part us, but more us than them! I also found the doomsday machine very disturbing! A whole spaceship could destroy our earth! until Elizabeth used her powers to neutralise this!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
bigdgander4 January 2004
Blame for this waste of film should rest obviously with the director and writers. Was TV really this horrible in 1983? This is one step below the most bland soap opera. I understand how this might appeal to the most avid Scifi fan living in the darkest recesses of a parents sub-basement. Joanna Kerns in particular must be singled out for her weak attempt at impersonating an actress in a tv mini-series. I must note that I did not purchase this dvd, and never attempted to watch it when it originally aired. I was subjected to this creation by an acquaintance. Alas, I have been driven to the internet now for entertainment. Obviously, studios will burn "anything" onto dvd.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this