IMDb > "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Scarecrow and Mrs. King"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Scarecrow and Mrs. King" More at IMDbPro »

Great show overall.

Author: ( from Washington, USA
11 November 2000

I watched this series all the time when I was little. Bruce Boxleitner is a great actor and really shines as the star, Scarecrow. As I watch it nowadays I feel that he must have enjoyed this series a lot, as he seems so natural and comfortable in his role. This is a cute, endearing show based on a simple premise. The first few seasons are especially great to watch, as the contrast between Lee and Amanda is most striking before their romantic relationship develops. (The fourth and fifth seasons are not quite as interesting, but they're inevitable) It's kind of a Lady and the Tramp story set in Washington, DC, with Lee being a charismatic government spy/ladies man, and Amanda a sweet, suburban single mother. What makes this duo so charming is the culture clash between their two worlds. He is forever "burdened" by her ineptness when it comes to government work, and she is always critiquing his lifestyle and trying to get him to live more like a normal, "real person".. Their unlikely partnership leads to plenty of fun and adventure for the audience, and eventual romance that is (fortunately) postponed for as long as possible. The writers and producers seem to know exactly what the viewers want, the guy and girl who like eachother but can't say it or deal with it, and end up tiptoeing around the issue for three seasons... except for the occasional hint or inuendo, executed with perfect style. "Charlie's Angels" fans will have fun seeing Kate Jackson in this different, motherly role, and I think most females will find it very hard to resist the boyish and talented Boxleitner. His skill with dialogue delivery is beyond compare. This series is a classic, great for anyone who likes a little action, humor and romance. It's best seen from the beginning, so you can really appreciate the relationship between these two TV greats.

Danger, Intrigue and Grocery Day

Author: mrwiseman-1 from United States
22 June 2006

One of the best "fish-out-of-water" series ever filmed. Amanda King is an ordinary Arlington, Virginia housewife. Divorced for a year, dating a weatherman, living in her house with her boys and mother, she seems to be ...normal. However, while at train station, a mysterious man gives her a package and tells her to hand it "to the man in the red hat." Moments later he is chased down by some unsavory characters. It isn't long before Amanda King finds the man she trusted is Lee Stetson, spy. Soon, she finds her self drawn into his work, and darn if she isn't a natural! Only she has a problem; her family cannot know what she does for a living.

So "normal" Amanda King becomes a secret spy, and is partnered with dashing lady's man, Lee Stetson. Along the way Lee and Amanda become quite a team...and mix in a little romance.

This series is to me one of the best, and most satisfying, romantic series to ever be on TV. Unlike other 80s...(and shows today) the characters avoided the "back and forth" romance where the writers would make you frustrated by plots intentionally keeping the leads apart. Instead on Scarecrow and Mrs. King, the relationship between Lee and Amanda, "naturally" evolved from reluctant co-workers, to friends, partners, lovers, and married couple. It is a shame this series did not get a proper ending. Over 23 years later Scarecrow and Mrs.King is still my favorite show.

someday on DVD?

Author: vmcorrigan from United States
10 April 2005

I do love this show, for its sheer entertainment value. It's a little idealistic and perhaps stretches credibility at points, but so what? I don't always want to be educated when I watch TV, nor do I particularly like being grossed out verbally or visually, as the newer shows push the envelope ever farther in search of ratings... Kate Jackson and Bruce Boxleitner might not consider SMK their best work, but I think they discount their fan base. I loved Bruce in this, and in Babylon 5, a lot better than any of the drippy made for TV movies he made with his wife (sorry Melissa!) I wish Scarecrow and Mrs King would come out on DVD so I'd have a chance to watch it again. Maybe this time I'll hate it! But I doubt it. April 2005

Clean Cut Drama!

Author: AbeStreet from Willoughby, OH, USA
22 August 2003

As a teenager this was one of the few evening shows that I could watch with my mother. Every Monday night at 8pm we would watch this show and then "Kate & Allie". During the mid eighties gritty crime dramas like "Hill Street Blues" and "Miami Vice" were dominating the popularity poles I looked forward to the light spirited romantic spy show "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" (S&MK).

First of all "The Agency" Lee Stetson worked for never could make up it's mind what type of government agency it was. At times it was like the FBI, at other times it was like the CIA and still other times like the NSA and U.S. Marshals. "The Agency" would investigate foreign espionage, transport witnesses, provide security for people and events and conduct overseas investigations. What an agency!!!

The plots usually involved the Russians and U.S.S.R.. A typical plot would find Lee Stetson (Agent Scarecrow)in over his head and the only person who could bail him out would be the civilian temporary help Amanda King. Despite all the other trained agents like Francine Desmond who was always more worried about looking good before she went on an assignment. Let us not forget Billy Melrose, this shows version of Oscar Goldman from the "Six Million Dollar Man". He could always be counted on to show up right after the nick of time just like Oscar Goldman.

The criminals always were clean cut middle aged yuppie types with horrible accents. Just about every show I can remember ends with Scarecrow and his obvious double chasing and beating up the bad guys while Amanda King almost innocently saves the day by using her skills she developed as a housewife and mother.

Despite the cheesy story lines and settings this is a very enjoyable show. Right always triumphed over wrong. The entire case acted well together and over the 4 years the viewers grew to know and like them. The relationship between Lee Stetson and Amanda played out well. The first 2 years with them feeling each other out. The third dealing with their desire to move forward and not knowing how. The fourth with their marriage and how they concealed it from everyone.

During the last season the writing began to suffer. First of all you can only have so many episodes with Soviet espionage and sabotage. Secondly, Mrs. King after 4 years could not longer be viewed as an innocent civilian and her innocent charm was fading. Finally, it was nice to see the relationship progress between Mrs. King and Scarecrow but once they were married like most shows of this type the tension that kept the audience captivated was gone. It was clear the show would not be back for a 5th season when Amanda was taken out of the episodes because the actress that portrayed her had breast cancer and the show was moved from Monday night to Friday night. Given all these changes the 4 year time frame was just about right for this shows run.

Lastly, this show was a nice diversion from the ordeals of everyday life. Hopefully as shows that are released in DVD form continue to become available this one will one day come out in DVD format.

Good show with characters you cared about

Author: johnfuen from San Diego, California, United States
7 September 2005

I didn't get into this show until a few seasons went by. But once I did get into the show, I found that I really liked the characters portray by Bruce Boxleitner (Lee Stetson aka Scarecrown) and Kate Jackson (Mrs. King). Scarecrow was a suave American spy -- an American James Bond and Mrs. King, a divorced housewife who ended up becoming his partner with the perfect cover....a suburban divorced mom.

Mrs. King wasn't your gorgeous Bond girl....she was more of a pretty all-American girl next door/mom. There was something about her sly intelligence mixed with the slightly husky voice that I always found very appealing. With these two very attractive early 30 something actors playing off of each other, I always thought there was a sexual/romantic tension that radiated off the screen. I was very happy when the two characters got married and became a husband and wife team.

The plot lines were a bit beyond belief, but the way the two leads played off of each other made it fun to tune in.

I can't wait for Scarecrow and Mrs. King to come out on DVD

Author: jedriscoll from United States
17 June 2005

The cable network TVLand recently had a promotion weekend that Scarecrow and Mrs. King was part of. I was so excited to see a few episodes, but it made me wish that the series was on DVD even more!

Scarecrow and Mrs. King was a great series about an unsuspecting housewife who gets pulled into undercover spy work with a reluctant and then fully accepting spy. It's a little hokey, but great overall. Kate Jackson plays single mom, Amanda King and Bruce Boxleitner plays spy, Lee Stetson. The show was really all-inclusive, action, romance and comedy all in one.

The sexual tension in the 1st two seasons is a little like the dynamic between Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepard in Moonlighting.

I still want to be a spy...

Author: ( from Georgia
20 June 2004

As I read so many of the user comments, I thought it amusing and funny that it sounds this show reached an unexpected audience. I was really young when my mom would record the show while she was at work, come home really late, and play the tape for us. While other little kids were playing Transformers and Barbies, I was playing as if I were a divorced housewife with two kids who suddenly becomes a spy.

The show has at its core the concept that made shows like "Buffy" popular. They take ordinary average everyday girls, the girls and women who get overlooked, and they made them superheroes with "falable knights on white horses" or as in the case of "Scarecrow and Mrs.King" a really neat silver car.

Yeah, so it is a little cheesy and predictable but I think today, when everything is so not cheesy and predictable it's nice to pop in an old tape of "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" episodes and watch and be reminded that sometimes happy ever after does exist.

My childhood's most treasured memory

Author: ALittaM from Milano, Italy
1 March 2001

I watched this show when I was a little girl. And it soon turned up to be one of my favorite shows ever: the leading characters are great, and they interact in the cutest way.

Kate Jackson plays Amanda King, the most ordinary, suburban mother whose greatest hope is a special discount at the grocery store.

Bruce Boxleitner plays Lee Stetson, a secret agent who loves being a spy and being a Don Giovanni.

Their meeting happens at the train station, when Lee is forced to ask Amanda for help. From that day,these two become the most unlikely pair of secret agent, and more than often Lee wonders just what the hell Amanda is here for: she has no clue about anything concerning spies, guns, or secret weapons. On the other hand, she has a lot of common sense, and she uses a special intuit that more than once saves them both.

As seasons pass by, Lee and Amanda develop a very special friendship, that eventually turns into love. It takes three whole years, though, to see them show their feeling for each other. And this, for fans (or for me at least), was like a secret hope, just like what happened for X-Files ten years later.

Technically speaking, this show is just like any other 80s TV show: poorly directed, badly edited and with stunt over-using (most of the time causing embarrassing shots where anyone could see it wasn't them!). It was set in DC, but filmed in California, so they mixed long-range shot of DC monuments with street shots of the WB lot. Bruce and Kate acted pretty well, Bruce being the best of the pair and giving on the whole a very charismatic portrait of Lee (which caused a lot of women to fall for the actor AND the character - as I did!). On the last season, though, Kate Jackson cut her appearances on the show due to a sudden illness, and after a few episodes without Amanda the show stopped. Too bad they didn't get a chance to film a decent end to a very nice show.

I recommend it to those who suffer old-times nostalgia, and to those who haven't forgotten Bruce Boxleitner in his glory days. Plus it has a great theme tune!

Not Charlie's Angel Anymore!

Author: ( from United States
17 October 2006

I remember watching this show on CBS Monday nights before Kate and Allie and Newhart. I thought the show was great with Charlie's Angel, Kate Jackson, playing single mother, Amanda King, in the Washington D.C. area. Somehow, she manages to mingle with Bruce Boxleitner's character. He plays a Washington spy/agent for the FBI or was it CIA. I don't remember. I remember Beverly Garland playing Amanda's mom on the series. I thought this series had humor, great acting, and intelligence. The Scarecrow and Mrs. King should be out on DVD eventually. I think Kate proved that she was no more Charlie's Angel and this series displayed her acting abilities as well. I miss shows like this and it was set somewhere other than Los Angeles or New York. Maybe they never actually filmed in D.C. except for the regular shots, this show was always entertaining to watch for family hour.

My Favorite Show of All Times!

Author: gmogge from United States
12 July 2005

I have never before enjoyed a TV series as much as I have enjoyed, "Scarecrow and Mrs. King". There was great chemistry between Kate and Bruce along with action, mystery, and comedy. And even though it's labeled as "old" it's far more entertaining than these silly reality shows that are polluting every channel. I was very upset when PAX (the only channel with it airing) took it out of its line-up. I wasn't happy with how PAX had dubbed minor swear words out of the show but at least it was airing. I was able to tape a number of the episodes but they're of very poor quality (due to the fact there's at least 4 on each tape) and VHS tapes won't last forever. I hope they release the show on DVD soon. No matter what the price I'd buy it.