IMDb > "Manimal" (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Manimal" More at IMDbPro »

Manimal

Author: Daianeira from United States
21 December 2005

I was 7 when this show was out and myself and other friends of mine still remember watching this. He was a new super hero to me that was right up there with the Hulk and Wonder Woman shows. I would love to see the old episodes come onto DVD because my son is now 7 and I think he would love the show as much as I did and I would love to be able to share it with him. Up until I was in my teens my favorite animal was a black panther, that's how much I loved that show. I think the show needed another chance, they should have kept it on and maybe I don't know change the day or time of the week they maybe should have played with it a little before canceling it, most people I talk to never heard of it and if it was something people hated they would have remembered it so it is more likely they never saw it and if so many people never saw it, maybe if they would have it may have been more of a hit.

I Finally Got Manimal on DVD

Author: peterninja2000 from London
16 November 2004

yessssssss

well like many postes here, i also spoke about this TV show when friends are around talking about the 80s TV. Very few remember Manimal but the fact that some do is really something.

it only ran for 8 EPs and that Includes the pilot. and I'm talking from London England, so some TV people here payed money to air it here. like i say it ran for Just 8 eps and we still remember it to this day so i must have made some sort ot impact. Shame there wasn't more.

well i looked into it and it was never released on DVD so god knows where this came from. ahhhh memory's

all i need now is Auto-Man, StreetHawk on DVD

Enjoyed this show about a shape shifting man when I was a kid.

Author: Aaron1375
20 July 2010

I am not going to score this show, as it has been forever since I have seen this one. I can say that I enjoyed it when I was a kid as did most of the kids I went to school with. Of course, it was canceled rather quickly leading me to believe it was a CBS show and they being one of the less intelligent networks ever. It is the network that purged all the farm shows of the 60's because they did not want to be known as the country type show network, and again had a purge in the 70's with he superhero shows they did not want to be associated with. Both blocks were highly successful, drawing younger viewers a block that any network would love to have these days. This one had a bit of a superhero type feel to it as it featured a man who could change into just about any animal (I think he even turned into a shark) to get he and his friends out of terrible jams. Like most shows that run an hour and are focused on action though, it did have a relatively short run on television. Even the really successful hour long action shows never made it to 100 episodes like A-Team. Still this one had us imitated it at school and such. It was fun to watch back then, though my guess is, if I watched it now it would be quite terrible.

Great Viewing During a Cable Outage

Author: MCL1150 from United States
19 October 2006

I have a habit of archiving short lived TV series that will probably never be seen again. One of them was "Manimal". I finally pulled it out and watched the lone episode I had saved for posterity. My cable was out and I was running my VCR on a small generator and decided to dip into my collection. The episode was titled "Illusion" and centered around a Seigfried & Roy like duo and a murder supposedly committed by their prized tiger. All in all, certainly not the greatest TV show ever but it was kind of fun watching a "B" show from the early 1980's. When I taped this 23 years ago it was a completely unwatchable show. After 23 years of aging though and, along with the original commercials and NBC promos for other series, I found it fascinating. A real time capsule. I'm glad I finally watched it, but it'll most likely be another 23 years before I might watch it again. I HATE reruns!

gives a whole new meaning to 'bringing out the animal inside you'

Author: Shishir Yerramilli (syerramill@aol.com)
23 November 1999

Like the previous two commentators,I remember watching this series when I was a kid and I absolutely enjoyed it.Glen Larson who I understand was the exec producer of this show also the driving force behind Knight Rider and also went ballistic with Automan and perhaps other sitcoms with unusual style of fighting crime. Getting back to the show,the casting was perfect esp Simon McCorkindale as the charming,slick Prof JC who at least is in control of his metamorphosis unlike the Incredible Hulk where Bill Bixby transforms in a green troll even if he stubs his toe on the coffee table!The plots were mildly intriguing.Sure it was cheesy and sometimes downright ridiculous but hey it was the 80's,what do expect in retrospect?I can think of worse shows that hit the jackpot.Also what was irritating was the requisite chemistry between prof and his pretty police associate.But whats important is that they are not trying to redo Kafka!This was a lot of fun and did not deserve to die so quickly.

Pretty Good (from what I remember)

Author: jasonm-3 from Toronto
7 September 1999

I remember watching this show as a kid late Friday night. I absolutely loved it.

The coolest part was when Jonathan Chase started transforming into an animal - the veins in his hands would swell up as if his andrenaline was going through the roof.

I am sure if I watched it today I would think it was cheesy though..

Ben Affleck...Brittany Murphy...Mekhi Phifer..."Manimal." Coming when hell freezes over to a theatre near you.

Author: Victor Field from London, England
20 January 2003

Short-lived and watchable (well, it was when I was a teen) but pretty embarrassing to remember, Glen A. Larson and Donald R. Boyle's "Manimal" cast Simon MacCorkindale as a criminologist with the ability to tranform into any animal he chose; his assistant and his girlfriend were the only ones who knew, and if only more people - as in viewers - had known, it might have gone to a full season.

Due to a) budgetary concerns and b) this being before morphing, viewers only ever saw him change into THREE animals - usually a panther or a hawk (both realised quite well by Stan Winston), but for the episode "Scrimshaw" we saw him turn into a snake to rescue Brooke (the show's token female) from a sinkhole. This repetition and the need to hide other changes as a result (in the show where he became a horse we had to make do with sound effects) must have bored viewers, though the actual scripts can't have helped... safe to say we won't be seeing a movie version of this one.

This is, however, not as painful to watch as some of Glen Larson's other shows after leaving Universal. Or would you really rather see "NightMan" than this? Thought not.

Intriguing, but highly disturbing

Author: jr-gary from United States
20 January 2015

he series featured the story of Dr. Jonathan Chase, a shape-shifter who could turn himself into any animal he chose, and used this ability to help fight crime. Only two people were aware of Jonathan's secret, his friend Ty Earl and Police Detective Brooke Mackenzie. Jonathan and Ty would assist Brooke with a case she was working on, with Jonathan transforming himself into an animal when it became useful. Manimal is not well regarded by most TV reviewers. John Javna's book The Best of Science Fiction TV included Manimal in its list of the "Worst Science Fiction Shows of All Time", along with Space: 1999, Lost in Space, Buck Rogers in the 25 Century, and The Starlost.[3] TV Guide also ranked Manimal number 15 on their list of the 50 Worst TV Shows of All Time in 2002. The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Fantasy described Manimal thus: "Axed after seven regular episodes, the only surprise being that it ever got past the pilot stage".

Good show (for the '80's)

Author: Riker-3 from Riverside, NJ
12 August 2002

Hey, I liked the show too !! I do agree the theme of "any animal" was FAR fetched unless you can only count to two. BUT, the idea was great. I guess the budget couldn't account for more effects but if it was done NOW, I know it would be MUCH better. Who knows, since TV and Movies are reaching in the past to make movies (cartoons, old series, and even old movies) they just might do some dust cleaning and stumble upon some old reels and read the faded writing and make out the words "Manimal" and then go "Hey !! I remember this now !! Hey Charlie, take a look at what I found .....".

ha!

Author: Matt Mercer (mmtwilight@aol.com) from Chapel Hill, NC
12 February 2000

everyone thinks i'm crazy when i talk about this show, because they don't remember it and they think i am delusional. but now i have proof! i used to love this show when i was 3... i really do remember it. -mm