IMDb > "The Bill" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Engrossing police programme.

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
31 July 2009

Yes, some plots are a bit hard to follow, and The Bill does have a tendency to get violent, but it is actually an engrossing show, that I try not to miss. A vast majority of the episodes are very exciting and quite tense, and the acting is fairly good, though I do miss Roberta Taylor as Inspector Gina Gold and Todd Carty as Gabriel Kent. I will admit, I prefer the older episodes to the newer episodes, and it is a bit of a shame that the programme is now after the watershed, as I found it easier to watch when it was at 8.00. Still, why I like The Bill is because not only it is engrossing, but the cliffhangers at the end do make the next episode unmissable. It is true though, that it is more melodramatic than it was, but I really like this programme as a programme that doesn't try to take itself too seriously. 8/10 Bethany Cox

I don' think you can beat a cop series like this

Author: ross robinson from england
28 October 2003

The Bill: I remember when i first saw this years and years ago, i was born after when the bill first started way back in the 1980's (1983) This year the bill has been on live for the first time to mark the 20th anniversary of the tv drama series. I don't think there will be a beating with the bill and another cop series.

'The Bill' as serious drama .................... or not!

Author: Richard_of_York (rtoseland1@sky.com) from Hereford, England
2 July 2006

The Bill is a TV drama series shown at peak (pre-watershed) times. It has always fitted this category. It started out years ago as a 50 minutes or so episode, spent many years as a 30 minutes show and in recent years has returned to the longer format. Originally each programme had a self contained storyline, but now there is a continuity between episodes.

It is what it has always been. Entertainment. It is not intended to be a serious commentary on police procedures.There are enough real life police programmes (both British and American) on British TV. I watch The Bill for a couple of weeks sometimes and then maybe not again for months. It doesn't matter! The characters will still be there and if they're not they'll be referred to so many times in the months after their departure for whatever reason (to say nothing of the popular press saturated coverage) that I'll soon find out where they've gone.

Very Good Watching

Author: Willowi
5 June 2004

My sister loves this and to be honest so do I. When at either of my Grandmother's houses I always watch this and sometimes do at home. I would like to watch it everyday but I mostly forget. It is a very good programme and has very good storylines and also (if you are obsesssive like me :p) makes you see police officers and there work in a different light. I personally like the series now being showed on UK Gold better than the new one but I watch both series. The charectors are likable and complex and though there is sometimes repetivness the storylines are generally belivable and the crimes very well thought up. I especially like the storylines that involve undercover work.

Long live a brilliant cop show!

Author: supercell (supercell44@hotmail.com) from Cornwall, England
4 September 2001

What a series! This is probably the best long-running drama on T.V., although it has gone downhill since D.S. Boulton was killed. The new C.I.D. cast have a lot to live up to. THE BILL is rarely boring, mostly enlightening and normally with a great sense of humour. It has kept us entertained with a clever mix of crime-fighting and human interest stories. Long may it last!

A highly-enjoyable UK drama

Author: Eddie McKeirnan (vvguru@hotmail.com) from Wollongong, Australia
1 March 2000

"The Bill", a very popular UK drama in Australia, is one of my favourite television series thanks to the excellent quality of the storylines and the superb and convincing performances by all of its stars.

However, I think too much of the action takes place with the CID (Criminal Intelligence Division) unit, and that we should see more of the uniformed officers.

As I mentioned before, the storylines were excellent in quality and the recent storyline involving PC Eddie Santini's (Michael Higgs) harassment of WPC Rosie Fox (Caroline Catz) was one of the best storylines I've seen on "The Bill". I already know of several major up-coming storylines, but I won't be giving anything away except to say to Aussie viewers that you are all in for a treat.

What I'd really like to see on "The Bill" is some more storylines involving the uniformed officers like PC Dave Quinnan (my favourite character played by Andrew Paul) and PC Tony Stamp (Graeme Cole).

Overall, "The Bill" is an excellent cop show and it is highly recommended viewing.

The Bill Kiss-off

Author: Sophie (street-5) from Pirton, England
30 August 1999

I really liked this episode, and the last 20 minutes really kept you wondering: would they get shot? In general, I thought this was a brilliant episode, and there was brilliant acting all-round, and exceptional acting from Caroline Catz (DS Rosie Fox) and Michael Higgs (Eddie Santini). The best line is: "Gotcha".

The Bill Is Wicked!!!!

Author: marc_blucas_fan from United Kingdom
8 April 2006

Right along with the BBC's drama "Holby City (Holby)" & "Casulty" ITV's "The Bill" have made Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday all so much worth staying in for. I'm eighteen so I would be out with my mates but because of the sexy characters, gripping story lines and some of the heartbreaking scenes these shows are now long-running series inside of nine/ten episodes, I stay in. Personally I love it this way because now The Bill can do two-part episodes so you don't have to wait until the next week to find out what happened!!! The recent storyline with Serg. Dale Smith (Alex Walkinshaw) and him been set up for murder had me screaming at the TV, like a lot of people I know because he was intercont.

Guy candy like Scott Maslen (Phil Hunter), Andrew Lancel (Neil Manson), Chris Jarvis (Dan Casper) and Gary Lucy (Will) makes the girls happy why the actress like Melanie Gutteridge (Emma Keane), Seema Bowri (Leela Kapoor), and Kim Tiddy (Honey Harman) keeps the lads happy. Seen what happens to characters after work and in their personal lives makes you want to watch the programme. I watched it as a younger kid but stop and then started watching it a year ago and it has had me gripped ever since. I've missed like 1/2 shows of it but then your lost.

The Bill is one of the best police dramas on TV and it also does special live action shows with makes it cool to see these people can act under pressure!!! 10/10 from me.

"The Bill" is the UK's most successful Police drama

Author: JohnDunc from Chichester area, England
24 November 2002

This show is so well respected, and has been running for so long, that it has included guest appearances by almost every UK actor I've met or heard of, and many I haven't. Anyone you meet who says "My son/daughter's an actor" will be likely to tell you they have been/will be/hope to be appearing in it.

getting lost in the best plot of the year

Author: julisadarrigo
27 August 2002

After months of enduring six or seven part sagas including an officer having financial problems, THE BILL would only occasionally spit out the odd 'beauty'. These seemed to come in the form of episodes that resolved themselves within the 45 minutes. It seems rare that an episode of THE BILL just concludes without a 'to be continued'. Not that there is anything wrong with the old cliffhanger.

At present in Australia we have been treated to a welcome change featuring DC Spears and a somewhat different Liz Rawton. (I'm very confused about this charater as in March she appeared with Duncan Lennox in "Lies od Silence" and had a husband called Martin. Five months down the track she is said to be engaged to a man called David; the engagement would appear to be off as Liz is more interested in her rape case). The producers of THE BILL seem to forget viewers have brains and memories.

The first three episodes in this six part saga were very good. It was refreshing and Liz Rawton was welcome relief. But the fourth episode has ruined the thread. It could possibly have been resolved in episode number four, or suggested a result was coming up in a fifth and final episode. Long time viewers of THE BILL will know that Liz Rawton is smarter and sharper than most coppers. As soon as she started getting sent knickers and rose petals, she should immediately have known that a copper was the only person who could have known this about her past. But she just has a go at Duncan who the normal Liz KNOWS would never laugh at behind her back. She is completely blind all of a sudden. We are expected to believe she has been promoted to Inspector and yet she can't see what's right in her face. It's just not Liz. (However if Liz knew DS Cork had tried to rape Kate Spears, she might have her result by now).

Now I'm not slagging off the Liz Rawton character. Far from it. She is perhaps my favourite character. I'm just giving an example of how the scriptwriters mess with characters we know very well. Suddenly, Liz Rawton is so consumed with ambition that she doesn't seem to care. During the first half of this saga, she did, but suddenly, she seems hard and unfeeling. She seems to want a result for the glory and not for the sake of getting a sicko off the streets. The true Liz Rawton has inner softness and toughness. But she is suddenly impossible to confide in. Otherwise Kate Spears would be able to talk to her Guv'nor and usually, a Liz Rawton Guv would listen and give her a chance. We saw her support Rosie Fox against the odds. Now if the scriptwriters just allowed Kate Spears to get her DI on side, we would see Liz wake up and smell the coffee and see what was going on. We sit there throwing up hands up at the screan shouting "wakey, wakey" to Liz, and "pull yer finger out" to Kate.

It's just a real shame that THE BILL found itself a storyline that was exciting and quite rivetting for three episodes. But now it's become silly. They've made the excellent Liz Rawton look like a fool (I dread to think of all the egg on her face when it becomes known that the culprit is the profiler she chose personally) and Kate Spears who seemed savvy when she first joined the show has become naive, foolish and quite the plonker.

To think I was so excited when this storyline was launched! I even had my mother interested. But she was insulted by part four. I can only hope that there is a turnaround in the next two episodes (i'd really like to know what happened to Eddie) and to see Liz get back to top form and give poor Kate a fair go. To the viewer, it's obvious the case is down to Liz and Kate. I just hope they haven't ruined the Liz Rawton character for good as her guest appearances are always so welcome.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]