IMDb > "The New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show" (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

I don't think I agree with the 4.3 rating!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
14 August 2009

The New Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo Show does have its flaws, but I was flabbergasted when I saw the 4.3 rating. Yes, it isn't as good as the original Scooby Doo shows, but I don't think it is that bad. The animation is lovely on the most part, and I do like the theme tune. Plus Don Messick and Casey Kasem do delight as always as Scooby and Shaggy. My problems with the show are as follows. The villains are more predictable than they are in the original shows, and I don't think it is quite as funny as its predecessors. Maybe it's because of Scrappy, there are times when I do think he is irritating, but other times when he is tolerable. He is very good at solving clues, and is funny at times. My main problem with him is his catchphrase Puppy Power, it is alright at first, but it does wear thin when he says it nearly all the time. I really like the episodes of the "Scooby and Scrappy Show" with Fred, Velma and Daphne, not so much the ones without them, they weren't as funny, and as well as overdoing Scrappy, Shaggy, Scrappy and Scooby seemed to be chased by real life monsters and very little mystery solving was involved. My final problem was Daphne, instead of the danger prone damsel in distress portrayal, she was seen as intelligent and resourceful, and I felt she was out of character. Overall, I do not think it is a bad show at all, it is flawed, but in my personal opinion, it's not as bad as some make it out to be. 6/10 Bethany Cox.

Not the best of the Scooby line

Author: buddhadan-1 from United States
10 September 2006

While I have remained one of the most loyal fans of the Scooby line of cartoons and even the movies, this particular period of Scooby history would best be left by the wayside and forgotten by everyone.

Almost anything with scrappy in it, in my opinion, was just plain awful. The addition of this character, far from energizing the show or adding a touch of cute (which may have been intended originally) only seemed to provide a character that was so annoying that even as a young child I despised him.

Stick with the classic Scooby line, the new Scooby doo show, and even the one when they are all kids, as all of these are entertaining. But leave this specific series in the dust where it belongs.

Good show!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
13 July 2005

When this show was on I watched it every time I could! I thought that the characters were really funny and all had great personalities. The animation in My opinion was crisp, clean, and really clear. Not to mention beautiful! Most of the characters in this show are hilarious like Looney Tunes characters that we all love. in My opinion these characters are the funnies and talented ever seen. In fact, The things that goes on in this series' cartoons are in My opinion nuts which that is what makes them hilarious! There are so many to like and laugh at and the silly things they do! If you like the original Looney Tunes then I strongly recommend that you watch this show!

Please bring this to DVD

Author: zombiekid29 from Canada
13 March 2006

I watched many different versions of Scooby Doo,from the original Scooby Doo where are you?, to the cheesy yet somehow amusing Scooby Doo Dynomutt hour.But there is one that has stuck with me for years.The All New Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo Show.Let me just start by saying this was a great show.The All new Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo show was the greatest of all the Scooby Doo shows.The characters were likable and funny,considering it took the 2 best, Shaggy and Daphne and put them together with Scooby Doo and his hot tempered nephew Scrappy Doo. The locations and plots were great, making sure you never knew who the villain was,combined with great dialogue,voicing and animation to make one of the best animated shows of our time.I hope Warner Bros. decides to release all 13 episodes into 1 DVD set.I'm sure 1000's of people would appreciate it.I know I would.

Why did we need a new show?!

Author: TheTVConnoisseur from TheFilmConnoisseur
1 July 2003

After the series was brutally murdered with the introduction of Scooby's nephew Scrappy they actually continued to make shows and began to make movies!!!!

This show deliberately began what I like to call "The Dark Ages of Scooby-Doo"

Scooby Series Are Really Going South With This Show: BTW, this show aired in 1983 not 1986

Author: voicemaster71 from United States
6 January 2007

I really did not care much for ABC's Saturday morning programming in 1983. The network did this stupid little K I D's love their A B C's crap. Then there was Menudo in between the shows. Need I say more? There were crappy shows like the Monchichis and they made an out and out cartoon of the Rubik's Cube and worst of all The SuperFriends were removed from Saturdays that year despite having some new episodes made that wound up airing overseas. No wonder I channel surfed that year. I found stuff to watch on CBS and NBC as well.

So what's left? Scooby Doo. And at this point, we got not one, but two Scooby shows and this pattern would follow for the next several years.

The rerun show and the newer show. The rerun show was the Best of Scooby Doo and it featured the original gang solving their classic mysteries from 1969-1970 and a few from 1976.

The New Scooby and Scrappy Doo Show was something I initially looked forward to at that time because they were doing something new. Two episodes a week as opposed to three. And Scooby was back to solving mysteries and contending with ghosts and villains again. And just when I thought the whole gang would be back WRONG!! All the writers did was merely reintroduce Daphne. At this point, the gang had last names as well and Daphne Blake was now a reporter of some type of magazine and Shaggy Rogers and Scooby and Scrappy Doo were her three associates. Still no sign of Fred and Velma.

Interstingly enough, Daphne had never driven the Mystery Machine on any of the previous incarnations until now. Plus, she is no longer danger prone Daphne, but she is intelligent and takes the leadership role for the 4 of them. In splitting up, it's back to Shaggy and Scooby like the old days while Scrappy now tags along with Daphne. Now here's where my hatred of Scrappy Doo really takes off! Scrappy didn't bother me all that much until this series. Now, Hanna Barbera was trying to make Scrappy into more of a junior detective and Daphne's primary helper!! What's up with that?! And the villains line about those meddling kids meant nothing to me if all four of them were not in the picture. The only episode that sticks out in my mind from this series was the gang trying to find and capture a villain called the Chameleon whose hatred of Worcestshire Sauce, which no one could pronounce ended up being his downfall.

In the final outlook, the New Scooby and Scrappy Doo Show wound up being a disappointment to me and a series I'd sooner forget along with it's previous incarnation in 1982 with Yabba Doo!! But hey!! Even this series is watchable compared to what was coming up 2 years later.

Scrappy is always worth watching

Author: Cylex from England
30 June 2002

Scrappy was always my favourite character in the Scooby series. When I watch the earliest shows I don't enjoy them as much. There's no one to meet the monsters head on or give Scooby such love and devotion. Scrappy always has great faith in his friends and does all he can to help. He has articulate speech and is good at finding clues. He seems more mature in this show but is still cute. Those who revile him are wrong. Scrappy never sank the show and I'm sure I can't be his only fan. If I was he wouldn't have appeared in so many episodes.