IMDb > TRON (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

TRON More at IMDbPro »

A Unique Stylistic Treat

Author: junk-monkey (liam@merriol.freeserve.co.uk) from Highlands of Scotland
5 December 2005

There is not a lot to say about this movie that has not been said many times, and much more eloquently than I will ever manage by other reviewers. But there is one thing I would like to add...

The story is very simple (verging on the simplistic) and mythic in quality; it lends itself to any, or many, interpretations: an allegory on belief systems, global capitalism, the Frankenstein story of the creation becoming the master etc.. Take your pick. The actors do their jobs. The writing is not particularly clever or witty but tells the story well enough. What makes this film a big fat 9 for me is the visuals.

The visuals are still stunning; when I first saw this movie in the cinema when it was released I was blown away. Now, many many years later watching it on a battered second-hand VHS I am amazed to see how well they have stood the test of time. I think ,and this is the point I want to add, I think this is because they were never imitated.

The Star Wars style was ripped off, copied, duplicated, and watered down by other jump-on-the-bandwagon filmmakers, and so merchandised to death by Lucas that the freshness, novelty, and sheer fun of the first film is unrecognisable now. It's been buried under millions of tons of expensive cheap toys, tatty imitations and huge bloated pre/sequels.

Tron never suffered that fate. No other movies co-opted the Tron style. It is one of a kind. This is not to say the movie has not been influential; no one can read William Gibson's books without seeing that, but in movie terms Tron is a unique stylistic treat.

Watch and enjoy!

I'm off to buy a DVD copy and yes Babylon 5 fans, that IS Peter Jurrasik (Londo) in a small part.