- Expanded conversation between Kirk and McCoy in Kirk's apartment about his birthday gift, the glasses. Also, McCoy now says "For most patients your age, I'd usually administer Retinax Five". This is an alternate take, since in the theatrical version, he says "recommend" instead of "administer" (Seen in ABC-TV version).
- Conversation between Kirk and Midshipman Preston in the Enterprise engine room, with Scotty revealing that Preston is his nephew. Also, the "take" at the scene's end with Kirk addressing Scott and McCoy asking "Admiral, what about the rest of the inspection?" is different from the one seen in the theatrical version. Kirk's dialogue is also slightly different. (Seen in ABC-TV version).
- The scene where Chekov informs Dr. Marcus and her team about their new "orders" via com-pic has been expanded. Carol Marcus now asks "Who gave the order", and the mind-controlled Chekov dances around the answer a bit before David says, "Pin him down, mother" (Seen in ABC-TV version).
- The scene where the scientists at Regula One argue about Starfleet's "order" is a different take, and has been expanded at the end to show Carol Marcus telling everyone to pack their things up so they can depart before the Reliant arrives. (Seen in ABC-TV version).
- McCoy and Spock's argument about Genesis in Kirk's cabin has been slightly expanded. They discuss what might happen if Genesis fell into the wrong hands, and whose hands are the "right" ones. Kirk attempts to break the two up, but Spock cuts him off with a comeback to McCoy (Seen in ABC-TV version).
- Preston's death in Sickbay has been expanded. Preston now says "Aye" and dies in close-up (instead of in the medium shot with Preston's back to the camera and the others visible around the table seen in the theatrical version) Scotty asks why Khan wants revenge. McCoy's line, "I'm sorry Scotty" now comes in the middle of the scene, instead of at the end. After Spock informs Kirk via intercom that impulse power is restored, McCoy and Kirk talk a bit longer, and Kirk says they only survived because he knew something Khan didn't about starships (Seen in ABC-TV version).
- An added shot of Kirk, Spock and Saavik climbing a ladder between decks has been added, in which Kirk says, "That young man is my son", and Spock replies, "Fascinating". Also, the music in the scene has been "looped" to account for this added shot, but it "loops" at an earlier point than in the ABC-TV version. This makes the music flow better, instead of repeating the same bit of music twice in succession.
- An extension occurs as the Enterprise approaches the Mutara Nebula. Saavik wonders if Reliant will follow them in, and Spock states that he must remember to teach her about the human ego. The music is "looped" at a different point than in the ABC-TV version to accommodate this extension, and it is thus much less distracting.