IMDb > The Secret of NIMH (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Secret of Nimh

Author: johnbooger (johnbooger@hotmail.com) from Newquay, Cornwall
11 March 2003

I have to say, I've read a few comments on this page and I don't agree with everything thats said.

I saw The Secret of Nimh when I was about four or five and the film did NO harm to me. I agree there's violence but its not over the top and not unnecessary. Too many families are not showing films to children for the wrong reasons. The film shows struggle, passion, love all things experienced in everyday life of a child.

The film is a great storytelling experience and though its not a direct book to film adaptation I believe it stills holds itself well. They changed the name Frisby to Brisby because they thought children would become confused with the name...e.g. the popular FRISBEE....I think this is a poor decision as film companies still don't respect the knowledge of their viewers.

Children have an amazing ability to understand a film (such as Secret of Nimh) and I felt I got plenty out of the film than just the violence. I may be a bit of a fanatic but the power of the film comes through and thats something I felt when watching it again recently...it brought back the feelings I had as a child.

Anyway I digress, another aspect I feel is getting some heavy critism is Disney animated features. I agree Disney have lost the impact in the animated films that they once had. This isn't to say that ALL their films have been bad. Some of the films focused on story rather than special effects have been fairly successful. Lilo and Stitch is a pretty good attempt. The Emporer's New Groove never saw as much recognition as I thought it should...

To tell you the truth I'd watch a Don Bluth film anytime but I think you can't have one without the other...Disney is the reason why Don Bluth did his own thing...its a bit of that "you can't have good without evil??"

Anyway....never watch the sequel!!!!!!!

good but could have been better

Author: paperbasket from US
23 January 2003

I liked the movie but it was a disappointment compared to the book. Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH was my favorite book from childhood and I still read it from time to time. My problem with the movie is the fact that it has blown every detail from the book out of proportion and even added more unnecessary ones. But that is expect for any animated adaptation from a book, clear villians must be established and everything must be fantastically exaggerated. In the book, there is no villians, not Jenner, not even the scientists from NIMH. It is a tale of a simple but courageous mouse and the secret of the intelligent rats. There is no magic stone nor a murderous Jenner. If you want something that would excite your imagination and leave you thinking after reading it, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH is for you. Rent the movie if all you want is a good animated film to keep you occupied for about 80 minutes.

Best film ever. (this review contains spoilers and is long enough to fit into a detailed account of Don Bluth films.)

Author: rapt0r_claw from Karachi, Pakistan
21 January 2003

Films are measured by their aesthetic value [NOT entertainment], and, with that, this is the best film ever. It's compelling and artistic, and is filled with horror. The beginning has a mysterious setting, which is wonderfully done. Nicodemus is superb, as is Dom DeLuise with Jeremy; he injects some humour into a [overall] morbid film. Dragon's attack is exemplary - the conniving approach, the intimidating bounds, and the ferocity that has been moulded into his character is masterful. Jeremy's good intentions and bad results are comical genius, and the character of Mr. Ages is beyond superb, the secretive mouse, pushed to the brink of madness by the earth-shattering secret he keeps so faithfully. The rosebush is proof of the fact that Don Bluth is the ultimate king of animated horror. the menacing door, the vines, and the thorns reaching for Mrs Brisby. The owl is another majestically great element, huge and intimidating, old and crippled; yet he strikes fear into all who have ever heard of him. Brutus is great - an offensive power that has an unknown force and keeps it as a weapon. The chase is great, rushing through the thorns, and a great spear held by a great rat bearing down upon Mrs Brisby.

Nicodemus's room is artfully animated, the mysterious rat revealing the greatest secret of his life to a stranger. The book and the writing itself is mysterious, and once again shows that Nicodemus is a higher power than any mouse or rat, or any earth-living creature.

The final fight is great, though it somehow reminds me of Robin Hood. This is where the real horror part of this horror film begins, and is definitely moving [not the CRYING way, mind!].

I plan on publishing a detailed account of Don Bluth films, and don't you a DARE laugh when I inform you that I'm 10 years old!

An inspiring performance

Author: Kunzai from England
14 December 2002

I've just watched this again, and let me start by saying how inspiring the film is! I am a 16 year old who hopes to create animated films, and I can tell you that films in this genre of this quality are very rare indeed.

The Secret of NIMH is beautifully drawn, and the characters are so real you can almost believe they are actors in their own right. I was entranced by the scenery, but also by the stunning performance, or so it would seem, of the story's heroine, "Mrs Brisby". The emotions were put across extremely well, and the serious storyline handled in a courageous manner.

Beautiful Animated Fable

Author: Corrie (vintagegirl93078@yahoo.com) from Spokane, WA
23 August 2002

This has been on my top-ten list of favorite animated movies since I was at least five years old, along with "Sleeping Beauty", "The Last Unicorn", "Lady and the Tramp" and "American Tail", to start.

The first person who reviewed this marvelous film was completely accurate. Animation is not only for children. This movie is one of the few that can be thoroughly enjoyed by adults and children as well. You've gotta love Jeremy, the crow - "Gotta get the sparkly, Miz Briz! Gotta get the sparkly!" - Justin - "Well, that's a refreshing change, Jenner, usually you're screaming about us" and Auntie Shrew - "Prepare to move your very large and very odd family!" The sad part is, that like others have mentioned, almost all animated movies made within perhaps the last 50 years or so, have had sequels. Lady and the Tramp 2, Cinderella 2, and don't even get me started on the whole "Land Before Time" franchise. My husband has an idea for the next "LBT" movie. It gets dark, you hear some screaming from the annoyingly cute baby dinosaurs (even that bitch Sarah) and then the credits roll. Anyway, on with my review.

This movie is a simply stupendous piece of cinema. That probably sounds presumptuous, but I don't really care. The characters are brought to life not only by Don Bluth's beautiful animation, but by the wonderful voices of the actors portraying the characters. Did Wil Wheaton get some inspiration for Wesley Crusher from doing the voice of Martin? They're both brats, you know. But in an animated movie, characters don't randomly burst into song. We'll leave that to Disney. If you have seen this movie and didn't love it...well, what's WRONG with you?

I've always wanted a sparkly of my very own...

Author: BethKyleXYnet from United States
13 June 2002

This movie is an absolute animation classic. It's smart, cute, sweet, hilarious, and absolutely worth whatever is necessary to own a copy. Justin was always my favorite character, being the brave good hero-rat that he is. Mrs. Brisby is a wonderful example of a very hard-working mom who really loves her kids. Jeremy is a TOTAL RIOT! Even 20 years after the movie was made and having seen it about 30 times, I still continue to totally enjoy it.

This movie is very VERY quotable and excellent as a very well-animated learning experience for young children. Highly recommended.

Praise, praise, and more praise

Author: scottlepew from Pittsburgh, PA
8 March 2002

This is easily one of the few best examples of western animation ever produced. The Secret of NIMH is an amazing movie, and should be seen at least once by every person who's ever watched a cartoon. The art and music of the film are both strikingly beautiful, and the story is heartfelt and well played. This was the first film Don Bluth directed after leaving Disney to escape its declining production values - and it shows, in that the recoil of his mood caused amazing production of this movie. I've never yet met a person who has seen and not *loved* this movie. If you haven't seen it, do so. You won't regret it.

Animated perfection, plain and simple

Author: Radius-3 (sark314@hotmail.com) from Iowa City, IA
20 February 2002

This is, hands down, the best animated film ever. Snow White was pioneering, various other Disney efforts have been entertaining, but nothing has been as intelligent, vast in scope, or magical as The Secret of NIMH. Matching Bluth's work in these respects is Jerry Goldsmith's absolutely phenomenal score, for which I still feel he has not received adequate recognition. It is certainly the best score ever made for an animated film, and I would definitely put it in the top five film scores of all time, including live-action films. There, now watch the movie if you haven't seen it. :-)

Review

Author: glendafolsom from flagstaff, AZ
8 February 2002

A great film for the whole family. Contains beautiful imagery, great dialogue, and a wonderful story. It is nicely paced, and contains love, loss, family values, friendship, and every other feeling imaginable. The story would normally be difficult for some children to understand, but this film is not complicated at all. Perfectly enjoyable from the kids to the parents, and include whatever pets you may have as well.

Best drawn full lenght cartoon of all time

Author: gottfrid from Brazil
4 December 2001

Completely different from Disney cartoons, specially recent ones, this is surely the best work by Don Bluth, and my favourite full lenght cartoon of all time. Don't expect a musical with nice little fluffy animals singing and dancing, but a creative drama, with a lot of suspense, mystery, action and even tragedy.

Funny how the era of drawn animation ended with another Don Bluth cartoon, Titan A.E. The guy who had the guts to walk out from Disney and start his own company, to try and go to a different way in animation!

And this film paved that way!

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]