IMDb > The Secret of NIMH (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Fantasy.

Author: Kawlle. from Stockholm, Sweden
9 November 1999

This is one of the best animated films I have ever seen! Gracefulness and magnificence, both action and drama AND fantasy. The music/soundtrack in the film are skillfully and elegant performed, the paintings, the layout are much better than Disney , when making film with computers you only make the films look like cheap comics. But the secret of NIMH is no computer product, it is made with love... so it seems when you look at the film. And you better look at it, like there are two crows flying off together in harmony to the music =)

Love is the key.

Author: Kawlle. from Stockholm, Sweden
6 November 1999

Animated films are usually nothing I used to watch, "its for kids"... no, not this one. The Secret of NIMH is my favourite animated film. This is a Very, Very well drawned animated fantasy film which has a well done scenario about a mouse who seeks help from the intelligent rats to save her house and family. A very loving and beautiful story that I think most people will like. It's drawned in the classical style and that just makes it even better. I also like the soundtrack and flying dreams... and love is the key.

a more artistic approach to feature length cartoons

Author: phil-257 from houston, tx
2 November 1999

This is by far the best Don Bluth effort. Not simply a cartoon for children, the drama and pace of the film are as engaging as any live-action piece I've seen. Musicians and music lovers should note: if you like the music for Ravel's ballet Daphnis et Chloe, you will love Jerry Goldsmith's score for this film.

A great film from long ago...

Author: Brian D. Scott from Aurora, CO
25 September 1999

I was first introduced to the book, Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of NIHM when I was 10 in 1975. It was fortunate that Scholastic and Xerox had book clubs for kids, and I bought that book in the fifth grade. I've had the film on tape for years, but I finally watched it on DVD tonight, and am still touched and awed by it. The DVD suffers from an OK transfer evident in the graininess of the print and it should have been remastered (I noticed one of the laserdiscs was). A real trip was the fact that Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher of Star Trek TNG) and Shannen Doherty provided the voices of two of the children! Still, this is one that was a no-brainer to purchase, and I can't wait until I have kids to let them see it!

Bluth's greatest achievement!

Author: Richard Harris (Norway1) from Oslo, Norway
27 August 1999

Following only Banjo the woodpile cat, which counts only as a short story, "NIMH" sets the pace for animated movies with the unforgettable voice of Dom DeLuise as Jeremy. So popular was he that Bluth decided to have him in several features following this one including "All Dogs go to Heaven" and "An American Tale", among others. Mrs. Brisby is a sweet little field mouse with a terribly sick young boy, Timothy. She finds out that the field she lives in will soon be plowed thus destroying her home unless she moves. With little Timmy's condition she feels she must seek council among the rats that live in a rose bush near the farmer's house. These rats have exceptional wisdom derived from a test-serum injected them as an experiment by human scientists at a place called NIMH. Throughout the film Mrs. Brisby finds herself discovering new truths about her late husband, Jonathan, who is much revered by the general animal kingdom. She finds courage to do what she never would have dreamed possible and finds friendship in rodents previously deemed to be only vile disgusting creatures.

I loved this movie when I was a kid and still do. Great movie.

Author: Nicholas from Austin, Texas USA
13 January 1999

This film has spectacular animation. The characters are very real and easy to become attached to. The story line is both enchanting and exciting.

Disney's bane...

Author: Martin Davidson
8 January 1999

When I first saw this film, I knew I couldn't be happy with the Disney-type films again. Especially now as the last several have been "cookie cutter" type affairs with the same general plot themes. The voice-acting in the film was very powerful, especially Nicodemus, and the musical score could not have been better suited to this animated story. A fine adventure filled with characters I loved as a kid, and have grown more fond of as an adult. Easily one of my all time favorites.

The best American animated movie ever.

Author: Vegeta-2 from Tennessee, USA
9 December 1998

This is the best animated movie ever made in America. The animation blows away anything Disney was doing at the time, and most of what they're doing now. The story, however, is where the movie really shines. A good adaptation of the book, the story is better than the typical Disney fairy-tale plot-by-numbers fare. The characters have personality, and the voices are all excellent. Bluth hasn't made a movie since that equals this masterpiece.

Words Fail Me...

Author: Linnard from The Boiler Room
28 November 1998

I can't think of anything to describe this movie...every adjective I know simply falls flat on its proverbial face. Immaculate animation, lovely voice acting, a well conceived plot and special effects that work excellently but don't drown out the movie at large...they simply don't make them like this anymore. It's a bare-naked shame that the sequel can't feature the original Mrs. Brisby, or won't have half the quality of this piece. If I had to yank anything, I'd pull Jeremy; Dom DeLouise pulls out a fine comedic performance, but in this intense fantasy piece, it comes off as mere comic relief and almost unnecessary. And a note to parents: this movie isn't as orientated towards small children as the animation standard would lead you to believe; it's a very complex plot, and much of it might simply fly over a youngster's head. But you can't let your child grow up and never see this tape; that's a travesty. And since it's recently been re-released on VHS, now's as good a time as any.

Beyond Excellent!

Author: Richard Harris (Norway1) from Oslo, Norway
28 October 1998

Interesting to think that Bluth's greatest achievement was his first full-length animated feature after leaving Disney to go solo (with a bunch of artists to back him up, of course). Following only Banjo the woodpile cat, which counts only as a short story, "NIMH" sets the pace for animated movies with the unforgettable voice of Dom DeLuise as Jeremy. So popular was he that Bluth decided to have him in several features following this one including "All Dogs go to Heaven" and "An Amercan Tale", among others. Mrs. Brisby is a sweet little field mouse with a terribly sick young boy, Timothy. She finds out that the field she lives in will soon be plowed thus destroying her home unless she moves. With little Timmy's condition she feels she must seek council among the rats that live in a rose bush near the farmer's house. These rats have exceptional wisdom derived from a test-serum injected them as an experiment by human scientists at a place called NIMH. Throughout the film Mrs. Brisby finds herself discovering new truths about her late husband, Jonathan, who is much revered by the general animal kingdom. She finds courage to do what she never would have dreamed possible and finds friendship in rodents previously deemed to be only vile disgusting creatures. Learn from the depths of this enchanting and amazing story that will awe and inspire the hearts of all.

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]