IMDb > Porky's (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Porky's

Porky's More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Robert Clark (In Memorial)

Author: lastliberal from United States
5 April 2007

Film director Bob Clark, best known for the holiday classic "A Christmas Story," was killed with his son Wednesday in a head-on crash with a vehicle that a drunken driver steered into the wrong lane, police and the filmmaker's assistant said.

His breakout success came with this film.

It is Florida in the 50s and Pee Wee (Dan Monahan) desperately wants to get laid. His friends arrange trip to Porky's, a redneck sleaze joint built over a mangrove swamp (a sad disappearing thing in Florida).

Check out Boyd Gaines' pursuit of Sex and the City's Kim Cattrall; and the scenes with Ms. Ballbreaker (Nancy Parsons. Robert Clark directs a well-paced film which also includes a glimpse of ethnic prejudice and class difference. Sure, it's crude humor focusing on penises and getting laid, but it's harmless fun.

A must watch guy comedy

Author: Jsimpson5 from United States
21 December 2006

I first watched this film my senior year in high school, and it remains one of my favorite movies of all time.

The movie is about some high school friends who try to have sex and also get into a 21+ strip club called Porky's. When they do get in they are kicked out by the owner and plan a revenge to get back at Porky.

This movie is full of stereotypes (Meat, the jock, Wendy the town slut, Brian, the Jewish teenager who knows how to fight, Pee Wee, the guy who all he wants is to have sex, etc).

This movie has some of the funniest scenes I have every seen. I had to pause the movie while I was watching it, because I laughing so hard I was crying. This movie is must for all guys to watch. You will not be disappointed.

It's like getting surrounded by tallywhackers

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
20 January 2006

There are certainties in life. One of those certainties is that a guy getting his genitals stuck somewhere (or to be more precise, anywhere) is always funny. Throw in a fat woman and you have yourself a movie. Some might find this stuff low-brow and repulsive and I'll throw them a bone, it is. But they keep leaving out that it's really effing hilarious and incredibly entertaining. This old underdog story has been done millions of times, but these guys make it work so well. I suppose that's largely thanks to the clever writing which shows some depth when it's called for, but then quickly goes back to stuff about "Mike Hunt". The contrast between the good guys and the bad guys is really textbook but hey, I wouldn't want it any other way. This is just the epitome of teen sex comedies. Many have tried to copy it, but this thing is pretty close to perfection. One of the most awesome things ever created.

Decent First Effort for a New Sub-Genre

Author: Ace_of_Sevens from Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
21 July 2004

Porky's kicked off the teen-sex comedy sub-genre that led to so many classic 80s movies and the recent American Pie series. Generally speaking, the first of something won't be the best as filmmakers learn as they go along, and this is no exception.

Porky's revolves around a group of high school boys in the 1950s and their attempts to get laid. These attempts bring them to Porky's, where Porky rips them off and humiliates them, then it's time for revenge.

Strangely, this is a period comedy that makes almost no jokes about the era in which it's set. The first time I watched it, I didn't even realize it was set in the 1950s. I just figured everyone was driving classic cars.

There's some nudity here, though not as much as in its spiritual successors.

Like those, it's as much about situational humor and awkward situations as titillation.

Overall, the joke density is a little low by modern standards and the more serious subplots are somewhat questionable, but the scene in the girl's shower is priceless. And no one ever gets tired of revenge. In the end, a decent comedy.

Crass but funny

Author: hausrathman
3 February 2004

A group of horny high school students in the '50's plot revenge on the owner of a nightclub/cathouse who humiliated them. Okay, I realize that reasonable, sensitive adults are not supposed to like this tacky, low-class film, whose huge box office success spurred a wave of terrible rip-offs that linger to the present day. ("American Pie" anyone?) However, I must give this film the nod since it did make me laugh out loud, which is more than I can say for a lot of the more acceptable politically-correct comedies. Director Bob Clark's film output consists of a positively schizophrenic series of highs and lows. This is one of the highs.

Classic Farce

Author: Picador66 from Maine
3 January 2004

(Possible Small Spoilers)

I cannot believe how many people here are downing this film. It is flat-out hilarious! Maybe it's generational prejudice on my behalf: I was sixteen when this one first hit the theaters. This was THE movie everybody my age needed to see. Forget John Hughes, Bob Clark's "Porky's" was definitive to us as "Animal House" was to our older brothers and sisters.

It strikes me as funny to keep reading references to the actors in this film as a bunch of Unknowns. They aren't unknown; they're the cast of "Porky's," darnit, they're icons! What's more, the characters they create here are distinct, appealing, and funny. Sometimes it's better to use actors who are a little bit older, and therefore wiser, than the types they are spoofing.

People deride this movie's trashy story line. Comedy is designed to depict humans in their baser states of being. If "Porky's" is nothing more than a low-budget, low-brow farce, well shoot, that's all it was meant to be. Desperation is the key element of farce. A bunch of teenage boys who desperately want to get laid is a situation both timeless and humorous.

Sure, this is mostly a "guy's" film, and it definitely objectifies women. But women went to see this movie and laughed at the mostly-male antics. They received equal opportunity to view the men on-screen in an objectifying manner, too, since most of the guys in the movie shed their clothes at one point or another.

Filming people who are laughing at their own jokes is not always funny. But the scene in the Principal's office where the three phys-ed coaches are desperately trying not to laugh while Miss Balbricker states her case against Tommy Turner is perfectly executed and side-splitting. Even President Eisenhower agrees!

It'd be funny if Hollywood spent a fortune re-making a movie that was made this cheaply, and got it all wrong this time around. I must be getting old, because I can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't just want to enjoy the original.

A classic

Author: squeezebox from United States
3 March 2003

PORKY'S is no NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE. Not even FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH. But it is what it is, and that's a funny, kinky, wild comedy, and it's carved out its own niche in comedy cinema.

Basically, the plot centers around four or five high school boys in the 1950's who are desperate to get laid. There's a few subplots here and there, involving everything from the titular strip joint to anti-semitism, but basically the movie is a showcase for gags involving the boys getting into various misadventures involving their johnsons.

There's the famous shower scene, which starts as a gratuitous excuse to show a half dozen naked girls, but then turns into a side-splittingly funny slapstick masterpiece. There's the infamous "Lassie" scene, in which a young, hot and bare-bottomed Kim Cattrall demonstrates why she's nicknamed after the world's most famous canine.

Unlike a lot of raunch comedies which try to excuse their excessive crudeness by throwing in some sort of socially redeeming subject matter, writer/director BOB CLARK handles the semi-serious aspects of the movie with surprising ease, smoothly fitting them into the rest of the story.

If you haven't seen PORKY'S, then check it out. Long before AMERICAN PIE was this gross-out comedy. And, in my opinion, it's far more outrageous than anything within the last few years. Nice to see a handful of male actors who aren't too chicken to show their manhood either!

The first raunchy high school comedy

Author: the93man
21 January 2003

"Porky's"was the first raunchy teen comedy,"Animal House"was the first raunchy college comedy and"American Graffiti"was the first coming-of-age teen comedy.All of them are great.I remember watching"Porky's"several times on HBO in the 80's,this movie was very funny but kinda weak compared to gross-out movies of today's standards,ala"American Pie","Mallrats"(The smart"Porky's"),and"Road Trip",but is still a classic.Kim Cattral is so hot in this movie as usual,and Don Monahan has great comedic acting skills,he should of been a huge star.Porky's is one of the all-time classic teen movies.9 out of 10.

Porky's kicks ass

Author: potekan from Tàrrega
12 July 2001

Porky's kicks ass, though being so antifindus... We at FindusClub would like to be like 'em, but we can't... help us! :)

Anyway, we found this movie quite funny and brutal, and, why deny it, that's what we are looking for when watching a film on TV, don't we? Cheers, and be pure!

The Epitome of '80's T & A Flicks

Author: ccmoore from Maryland, USA
27 December 2000

This whole franchise is great for what it is: gratuitous sex and hi-jinx with a group of friends. If you view it for that reason, Porky's is a very entertaining movie. I always thought it would be nice if they did one of them in college, but anything beyond a third installment of a movie is usually trash.