IMDb > Porky's (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Porky's

Porky's More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

a bona fide comedy classic, the American pie of the 80's

Author: daworldismine from United Kingdom
5 May 2012

as a teen sex comedy porky's is miles above the rest, in fact the only movie too touch it was 1999's American pie. everything about this movie is brilliant, its truly hilarious, the set pieces, the dialogue, all the cast are brilliant, and the script while not art, for what it is, is very well written. following the antics of a group of sex obsessed teens from angel beach high, we follow them on all kinds of hilarious escapades, i could just tell you all about the funniest parts, but why, if you haven't seen it, i don't want to give anything away, the main lead though 'pee wee' is one of the funniest characters in any comedy, and his misadventures are laugh out loud hilarious, as are all the other character like 'meat' 'tommy' 'billy' 'brian' 'wendy', and unlike most teen comedies of the 80's they seem like real people, talking like real people, a must see comedy i highly recommend

More than just a teen sex comedy

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
14 March 2011

The well-remembered PORKY'S was the American Pie of its day, a sequel-spawning popular hit about a group of male students and their encounters with the opposite sex. Seen today, it's a film that hasn't dated too much, which may be due in part to the clever decision to set it in the 1950s (much like GREASE).

Obviously, sex and nudity play a part in the film, but it all feels underplayed and no longer shocking, especially in comparison to the latest gross-out humour filling the multiplexes. The jokes are tame and the emphasis isn't on titillation but rather humour stemming from the libidos of the central characters. The surprise is that this is actually an entertaining, well thought out movie with a heart. It addresses coming-of-age issues and it looks at racism, revenge and familial abuse in a matter-of-fact way that many an '80s teen film aspires to. Kudos to director Bob Clark (BLACK Christmas), seemingly at home in any genre.

Growing pains

Author: jotix100 from New York
12 September 2010

The years of the last Eisenhower administration loom large in this story about a group of teenagers in high school that, at the time it was released, caused quite a stir by its irreverent dialogue and situations not shown in a typical film directed to that age group. The students from Angel Beach, Florida, were addicted to sex in whatever way they could get it. They get inventive in ways that some of their contemporaries never thought possible.

On second viewing, Bob Clark's 1982 "Porky's", still packs a punch in the way the people depicted went about their salad days getting into all kinds of problems. The frank talk in the film will turn off, and may be offensive to a lot of viewers. Mr. Clark captures the mentality of the times vividly, right down to the way most of these kids viewed their lives, and that of others.

Nancy Parsons made a mean coach Balbricker. Kim Cattrall, who went to bigger and better things, and Kaki Hunter, one of the trashiest teens ever seen on a film, are good. Dan Monahan, Scott Colomby, Susan Clark, Alex Karras, and the rest of the large cast do fine work for Bob Clark.

Surprisingly important

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
1 June 2010

Porky's really isn't a very good film, if one is to be brutally honest.

But it is an important film because it created a template for horny teen high school comedies which has been followed by many movies since.

If it wasn't for Porky's, there would be no American Pie, which IS a good film (I'm not talking about the sequels or the other films which carry the American Pie brand).

And Porky's itself has some pleasing elements - the 1950s setting rings true, and there are decent performances from Dan Monahan and Kaki Hunter, not to mention an entry for Kim Cattrall (by which I mean an entry into her movie career, what did you think I meant?).

Robert Clark (In Memorial)

Author: lastliberal from United States
5 April 2007

Film director Bob Clark, best known for the holiday classic "A Christmas Story," was killed with his son Wednesday in a head-on crash with a vehicle that a drunken driver steered into the wrong lane, police and the filmmaker's assistant said.

His breakout success came with this film.

It is Florida in the 50s and Pee Wee (Dan Monahan) desperately wants to get laid. His friends arrange trip to Porky's, a redneck sleaze joint built over a mangrove swamp (a sad disappearing thing in Florida).

Check out Boyd Gaines' pursuit of Sex and the City's Kim Cattrall; and the scenes with Ms. Ballbreaker (Nancy Parsons. Robert Clark directs a well-paced film which also includes a glimpse of ethnic prejudice and class difference. Sure, it's crude humor focusing on penises and getting laid, but it's harmless fun.

A must watch guy comedy

Author: Jsimpson5 from United States
21 December 2006

I first watched this film my senior year in high school, and it remains one of my favorite movies of all time.

The movie is about some high school friends who try to have sex and also get into a 21+ strip club called Porky's. When they do get in they are kicked out by the owner and plan a revenge to get back at Porky.

This movie is full of stereotypes (Meat, the jock, Wendy the town slut, Brian, the Jewish teenager who knows how to fight, Pee Wee, the guy who all he wants is to have sex, etc).

This movie has some of the funniest scenes I have every seen. I had to pause the movie while I was watching it, because I laughing so hard I was crying. This movie is must for all guys to watch. You will not be disappointed.

It's like getting surrounded by tallywhackers

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
20 January 2006

There are certainties in life. One of those certainties is that a guy getting his genitals stuck somewhere (or to be more precise, anywhere) is always funny. Throw in a fat woman and you have yourself a movie. Some might find this stuff low-brow and repulsive and I'll throw them a bone, it is. But they keep leaving out that it's really effing hilarious and incredibly entertaining. This old underdog story has been done millions of times, but these guys make it work so well. I suppose that's largely thanks to the clever writing which shows some depth when it's called for, but then quickly goes back to stuff about "Mike Hunt". The contrast between the good guys and the bad guys is really textbook but hey, I wouldn't want it any other way. This is just the epitome of teen sex comedies. Many have tried to copy it, but this thing is pretty close to perfection. One of the most awesome things ever created.

Decent First Effort for a New Sub-Genre

Author: Ace_of_Sevens from Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
21 July 2004

Porky's kicked off the teen-sex comedy sub-genre that led to so many classic 80s movies and the recent American Pie series. Generally speaking, the first of something won't be the best as filmmakers learn as they go along, and this is no exception.

Porky's revolves around a group of high school boys in the 1950s and their attempts to get laid. These attempts bring them to Porky's, where Porky rips them off and humiliates them, then it's time for revenge.

Strangely, this is a period comedy that makes almost no jokes about the era in which it's set. The first time I watched it, I didn't even realize it was set in the 1950s. I just figured everyone was driving classic cars.

There's some nudity here, though not as much as in its spiritual successors.

Like those, it's as much about situational humor and awkward situations as titillation.

Overall, the joke density is a little low by modern standards and the more serious subplots are somewhat questionable, but the scene in the girl's shower is priceless. And no one ever gets tired of revenge. In the end, a decent comedy.

Crass but funny

Author: hausrathman
3 February 2004

A group of horny high school students in the '50's plot revenge on the owner of a nightclub/cathouse who humiliated them. Okay, I realize that reasonable, sensitive adults are not supposed to like this tacky, low-class film, whose huge box office success spurred a wave of terrible rip-offs that linger to the present day. ("American Pie" anyone?) However, I must give this film the nod since it did make me laugh out loud, which is more than I can say for a lot of the more acceptable politically-correct comedies. Director Bob Clark's film output consists of a positively schizophrenic series of highs and lows. This is one of the highs.

Classic Farce

Author: Picador66 from Maine
3 January 2004

(Possible Small Spoilers)

I cannot believe how many people here are downing this film. It is flat-out hilarious! Maybe it's generational prejudice on my behalf: I was sixteen when this one first hit the theaters. This was THE movie everybody my age needed to see. Forget John Hughes, Bob Clark's "Porky's" was definitive to us as "Animal House" was to our older brothers and sisters.

It strikes me as funny to keep reading references to the actors in this film as a bunch of Unknowns. They aren't unknown; they're the cast of "Porky's," darnit, they're icons! What's more, the characters they create here are distinct, appealing, and funny. Sometimes it's better to use actors who are a little bit older, and therefore wiser, than the types they are spoofing.

People deride this movie's trashy story line. Comedy is designed to depict humans in their baser states of being. If "Porky's" is nothing more than a low-budget, low-brow farce, well shoot, that's all it was meant to be. Desperation is the key element of farce. A bunch of teenage boys who desperately want to get laid is a situation both timeless and humorous.

Sure, this is mostly a "guy's" film, and it definitely objectifies women. But women went to see this movie and laughed at the mostly-male antics. They received equal opportunity to view the men on-screen in an objectifying manner, too, since most of the guys in the movie shed their clothes at one point or another.

Filming people who are laughing at their own jokes is not always funny. But the scene in the Principal's office where the three phys-ed coaches are desperately trying not to laugh while Miss Balbricker states her case against Tommy Turner is perfectly executed and side-splitting. Even President Eisenhower agrees!

It'd be funny if Hollywood spent a fortune re-making a movie that was made this cheaply, and got it all wrong this time around. I must be getting old, because I can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't just want to enjoy the original.