IMDb > Porky's (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Porky's

Porky's More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

"Porky's" is as reckless as its characters and as memorable as its best scenes

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
28 May 2009

"Porky's" is the ultimate teenage fantasy, a movie celebrating group mentality shenanigans, everything from obsessing about sex to pulling the ultimate prank on that one old guy always bringing you down. It's a film that says that at heart, we're all good-natured kids that wish we could be irresponsible every so often.

This is "Porky's" only point, both its hindrance and most celebrated characteristic. There isn't any character development or a through plot line -- going to the strip club Porky's is only representative of two major scenes in the movie. It's about high school kids horsing around and trying to get laid in Florida in the '50s. There are some admirable but pointless subplots fixed on anti-Semitism and parent abuse, but it's just about laughs.

What makes "Porky's" unique is that it's about laughter, it's not just about creating it for the sake of being a comedy film. A stand-out scene is when the strict oafish gym teacher Ms.Ballbricker is explaining to the principal her plan to identify a trouble-making student by lining up several of the boys to examine their manhood. In the background, two of the students are dying from laughter and even the principal at one point can't hold it in any longer -- then a nice close-up of a portrait of President Eisenhower with a big grin on his face. That sums up "Porky's" nicely: we all need to laugh at the ridiculousness and humor of certain situations. If only the film spent a bit more time hammering that in instead of meandering about like a bored high schooler.

This is a film you can watch over and over again, not only because it can be funny for all appropriate ages, but it only thrives from scene to scene. The entire high school-aged fantasy of boys getting spy on the girls' showers owes its birth to this film, the hilarity as the new gym coach learns why the attractive young girls' coach is nicknamed "Lassie," and of course that ultimate revenge against the powers that be, in this case Porky and his redneck sheriff brother, who try and stop kids from having fun. It can be watched one scene at a time -- there's nothing gluing it all together.

Bob Clark's film has a carefree and reckless attitude that resembles that of his characters, but as admirable as that is -- and a rare find in a movie indeed, especially comedy -- there's no doubt that "Porky's" avoids being the kind of coming-of-age film it could have been. There's no substitute for memorable characters in addition to unforgettable scenes, but "Porky's" viewers can at least relish the latter.

Porky's

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
6 January 2009

I expected this to be some sort of early American Pie, with teens desperate to lose their virginity, except in a strip bar, slightly more tasteless though, from director Bob Clark (Black Christmas, A Christmas Story, Baby Geniuses). Basically it is 1954, and we are following a group of high school teens going through puberty, and only thing on their minds, sex. We have horny toad Pee Wee (Dan Monahan), bad boy Tommy (Wyatt Knight), tough jock and abnormally "packaged" Meat (Tony Ganios), wise-ass redneck without any care Mickey (Roger Wilson), smart Jew Brian Schwartz (Scott Colomby), and racist Tim (Cyril O'Reilly). So they are peaking through holes to the girl's shower room, and making life difficult for teachers and each other, and then they find striptease bar "Porky's", only to be thrown out and humiliated soon after entering. They realise they won't get in, so they plan revenge, but they know that owner Porky (Chuck Mitchell), his brother is Sheriff Wallace (Alex Karras), making it difficult, and they also have to forget their differences to work together. Also starring Mark Herrier as Billy, young Sex and the City's Kim Cattrall as Honeywell, Kaki Hunter as Wendy, Nancy Parsons as Ms. Balbricker and Susan Clark as Cherry Forever. The highlights of the film for me are young Cattrall having sex, and her screams echoing in the below basketball court, and after peaking at the girls, one of the guys sticks his penis through one of the holes, and gets it clutched by the teacher. It is quite tasteless, but there is a tiny strange sense of charm about it also, a quite entertaining comedy. Worth watching!

A bit overrated but still a very funny teen sex comedy

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
16 March 2008

Rated R for Strong Sexual Content,Nudity,Language and Some Violence all involving teens

I first saw Porky's II The Next Day about six months ago on TV.I was a bit disappointed with it but I heard it was a disappointing sequel and I wanted to watch the original Porky's.Ireally enjoy the teen film genre.People compare this film to American Pie but I think American Pie is a bit better.Not to say that this isn't a hilarious film which is miles better than the sequel.The film takes place in the 1950's and it is about a group of friends and their funny misadventures while trying to have sex.They try to get into a nightclub called "Porky's" but the owner harasses them.One of the members keeps going back and gets his ass kicked plenty of times so they exact revenge on the nightclub.Porky's is a fairly funny teen film but I have seen better.The Last American Virgin I find is a better teen sex comedy(it is my favorite actually) because it has plenty of gross-out humor but it is also dramatic and realistic.Anyway, funny film.

That'll never be all, folks!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
10 April 2007

Bob Clark's untimely death in a car crash a few days ago brings to mind his career, including the hilarious T&A fest "Porky's". When I was really young and walked by it at the video store, I always assumed that it had something to do with Porky Pig; it does, if only very loosely. Watching the movie, I could only wonder how much fun they must have had filming it. I almost never stopped laughing, and when I did it was mostly because I ran out of breath from laughter. It's hard to say whether the best scene is the shower scene, or the whole end sequence. It's the sort of movie that you just have to see to believe.

OK, so a lot of the movie consists of what are probably male chauvinistic fantasies, but this is a comedy, folks! You're not supposed to take it seriously. But no matter how you interpret it, you gotta love it. Among the cast members is Kim Cattrall, many years before "Sex and the City". I liked the sequel equally.

In conclusion: Bob Clark, wherever you are, we'll always remember you, if only for this movie and its sequel.

Bob Clark directed movies as different as the "Porky's" movies, "Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things" and "A Christmas Story". The things that we see in life...

Still one of the funniest high school comedy movies of all time

Author: torskie from United States
3 December 2006

Porky's was a pleasant surprise to me when I watched it years after it's screening. If I had been in a movie theater, I would have made frequent trips to the urinal and likely evicted for loud, uncontrollable laughter.

The practical jokes, the sexual tensions of the teachers, and the sheer lust of high school vs. the moral majority is magnificently depicted. The shower scene was classic, only to be followed by Ballbricker's plan for catching the culprit. I still laugh until I cry when I see this, even on highly censored TV screenings.

This should be a classic teen comedy, if it isn't a cult classic already.

Adolescent male fantasies.

Author: OFG-Movie from Washington St.
13 September 2005

I like this movie. It's funny, it's entertaining and it is perverted. This movie is a collection of common adolescent male fantasies sewn together into story about Florida high school kids in the fifties. Fantasies depicted include a peek into the girls locker room, a trip to an adult club, making it with that especially good looking teacher, (done vicariously teacher on teacher) revenge against a group of bullies and more. Add to this several just plain funny practical jokes mixed in between the other scenes and you get an entertaining movie. Just about every male out there will be able to relate one or more situation or one or more characters. If you are looking for art or a message then this is not your movie. If you are looking for a glimpse into the teenage male mind, then you may enjoy this film, just don't become indignant when you see yourself dimly reflected here and there in the film.

surprisingly decent overall, very funny

Author: Kreme (kreme@kreme.com) from Earth (Middle)
21 September 2004

Porky's is no ANIMAL HOUSE or FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH, but then again, what is? Still, it has one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in film. The 'Lassie' scene? No. The 'shower' scene? Nope. The scene following the shower scene, featuring the coaches and the school principal discussing the possibilities of a 'line up' is still hilarious.

The comedy is raunchy, that's true. The 'plot' is simplistic, sure. The acting is passable, but nothing remarkable, OK. But it is funny, and it is still a lot of fun 20 years later. And, of course, it spawned a thousand imitators and two sequels. None quite capture the original's humor and somewhat innocent raunchiness.

Keep an eye out for Kim Catrell in an early role as "Lassie"

Great fun

Author: rebeccameily from United States
8 October 2007

I first saw this movie when it came out and have seen it at least 5 times. It is one of the funniest movies ever. You need to see it twice to really catch all the nuances. It is just as hysterical to me now, at age 50+ as it was when I was younger. It's a little raunchy at times but not so bad that I can't watch it with my teenage kids. It shows them a little slice of what kids were like during that time period...a little harmless fun and games. The movie's writers also fought against racism long before others had the nerve to do so. I would definitely recommend the movie to anyone with an irreverent sense of humor. In fact, see all 3; the naked KKK guys being paraded into the stadium are hysterical.

At times extremely annoying, but at times actually pretty funny

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
27 August 2007

My boyfriend and I were at a DVD store the other day and he saw the big special edition of "Porky's" and was like "I loved this movie so much, isn't it so funny?" and I just looked at him and was like "Ummm, I never saw it" and he just looked at me like my hair fell out. He said this was such a classic and that I shouldn't call myself a movie buff if I hadn't seen this film. So I took his advice, I rented it, and watched it this morning. I know he's gonna hate me because to be honest, I didn't really find it that funny. It just seemed like a typical teen sex comedy that was more gross and unrealistic than actual comedy. But I admit that I did have a couple of laughs here and there, the story wasn't really that bad.

Basically a bunch of boys in high school are determined to get laid. Some have been laid before, but there is a guy they call Pee-Wee, understandably by his lack of a package, they take him to a strip joint called Porky's. There they give the owner, Porky, a hundred dollars to have the strippers for an hour, but Porky tricks the boys and ends up humiliating them instead. So throughout the movie one of the boys keeps going back to get revenge and finally they all just do it together for the ultimate revenge tactic.

Porky's did have a few funny scenes, like the "love" scene between the coach and Honeywell, played by a very young Kim Catrell, her screaming was so hilarious. Then the female gym teacher going after the boys because they were teasing the girls in the locker room through the peep holes, she was pretty funny. Over all, I wouldn't say that Porky's is at all a bad film, it has it's moments here and there, but I'd rather stick with other teen sex comedies, but this one is worth a look if you're into them.

Reasons why this movie rules

7 June 2007

1) The infamous girls' shower locker room scene. Boy, do you get to see plenty of smoking hot young ladies parading about in their birthday suits. Plus the whole gag involving one guy shoving his penis through the peephole is totally hilarious. 2) There's something for the ladies, too. A bunch of young guys disrobe and bare their entire bodies as well, so this film can't be accused of being sexist. 3) Kim Cattrall. She's always been (and still is) a major babe. Well, she's absolutely delectable here as a luscious coach who howls like a dog while making love to a fellow high school coach in a men's locker room. 4) The cast have a ball with their roles. Dan Monahan portrays the libidinous Pee Wee with impish charm and glee to spare. Kaki Hunter is likewise absolutely adorable as the brash Wendy. Popping up in nifty supporting parts are Nancy Parsons as the uptight gym teacher Ms. Ballbricker, Chuck Mitchell as detestable brothel owner Porky, Alex Karras as a corrupt sheriff, Eric Christmas as the meek principal, and Susan Clark as a bawdy prostitute. 5) The anti-Semiticism subplot about one guy who antagonizes a Jewish student because his brutish dad beats him up is surprisingly strong and poignant. Moreover, it's real heavy stuff for a comedy. 6) The picture's outrageously raunchy sense of no-holds-barred crude'n'rude humor will never win awards for either taste or subtlety, but it's nonetheless constantly funny in a blithely lowbrow sort of way. 7) It's a well-made little flick with slick cinematography, a rockin' score, and a catchy golden oldies soundtrack. 8) Writer/director Bob Clark. Does this man have an amazingly eclectic resume or what? From the seasonal slasher prototype "Black Christmas" to the utterly charming yuletide favorite "A Christmas Story" to the first two "Porky's" movies, Clark delivered a steady succession of on the money solid and enjoyable features. Rest in peace Bob Clark and thank you for all the terrific entertainment.