IMDb > Porky's (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

rotflmao!

Author: miztexrgv from United States
3 August 2006

O.K....First, I am 48 years old, female, and a teacher. second, I have seen all the Porky's movies multiple times. I saw the original first release in college with friends and peed in my pants laughing. I read a comment by someone here that if you still like this movie after 40 that you need help. Thank GodI can still see the humor in this movie. My husband and I watched it together and both died laughing all over the place again. I hope I am never too old to laugh at sex jokes, pompous teachers and administrators, red-necked bigots, and horny teenagers. A sense of humor has helped me to survive 25 years of teaching and right wing conservatives with absolutely no sense of humor(I think that, more than anything, is why I am not a conservative anything!!). Parents wanting to know about this movie: 1.15 and under; No way! (They wouldn't get the best jokes anyway) 2. 15 and up; with parents (but only if the nudity doesn't bother you.) 3. Language is very crude (Hey, it's supposed to be High School!!!) 4. I saw it in college, which I believe is the perfect age for this flick. You can really appreciate the high school stuff (not too far removed) but you can see the adults side of the movie. 5. Basically, this is just your old fashioned "us against them and we get 'em Good" movie with a lot of penis jokes.

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
12 December 2009

"I've never seen such wool, you could knit a sweater."

In the 50's, high school kids just want to get laid and have an awful hard time doing so.

It's amazing that one film can almost completely focus on getting laid, but Porky's does so, and is successful at it. The jokes are almost entirely based solely on sex. Such gags as "Cherry Forever", "Mike Hunt", "Lassie"(..Miss Honeywell's "response" to the smell of a boy's locker room), Ms. Balbricker's request for a "mole inspection"(..after letting something "slip through her fingers")and the principal's response to such a scenario("tallywacker"), all contribute to the crude hilarity that is Porky's. While tame compared to even PG-13 comedies today, Porky's is certain to offend some with it's naughty humor. And, before there was Meg Ryan's fake orgasm in When Harry Met Sally, there was Ms. Honeywell(Kim Cattrall, who would've had to have been a major wet dream for many teenagers at that time, I imagine, was a fox!)announcing to the whole gym what a real one sounds like! And, Dan Monahan's Pee Wee is a priceless character, finally getting his "cherry popped" at the end, securing a neverending pursuit of satisfying a lengthly quest. Good support by Art Hindle as a police officer whose younger brother, Mickey(Roger Wilson)wouldn't halt waging war against Porky(..the massive Chuck Mitchell). Interesting enough, Susan Clark(..as Cherry Forever)and Alex Karras(..as Sheriff Wallace, Porky's brother)both would later star as husband and wife on the popular sitcom Webster. The cast work incredibly well together and share a camaraderie that's actually quite poignant, even though their topic of choice is chicks(..my kind of guys).

The drama aspects are also here. One of the group of horny males is a kid named Ted whose abusive father just got released from serving time for homicide. There's an emphasis on accepting a Jewish student who, for a time, was frowned upon, but is actually a hospitable guy. But, the core is a large repulsive strip bar owner in the next county from where most of the film is set, named Porky whose equally repellent brother is the sheriff. The boys attempt to pay for sex from some of his girls, get tricked and humiliated, and seek revenge against him for their mistreatment. So there are alternating story lines which accompany the main point of the students seeking sexual fulfillment so they can no longer dream of "what it's like."

The grand finale, when the gang put together a plan to get Porky back for putting their stubborn friend in the hospital because he wouldn't quit returning to the bar to get revenge, adds the exclamation point, even though we're asked to believe they could get away with it just through crossing over into another county.

Just funny

Author: vranger from United States
18 June 2009

When I first saw the ads for this film in the theater, I thought it looked like yet another absurd, stupid, juvenile comedy.

Then the producers made the astute move of airing commercials showing brief interviews of people leaving the theater after having just seen this movie. They were all smiles, and universal in explaining just how funny they thought it was. It sold me and my wife and I tried it.

The movie was indeed at times absurd, often juvenile, and one of the absolutely funniest movies I've ever seen. It may well have the single funniest scene in any movie, ever. (Ms. Ballbricker explaining to the principal and the coaches about her desire for a 'lineup'. If you haven't seen the movie, this doesn't sound like much. Watch it and see. You'll turn red and be holding your stomach for all you're worth before the end of the scene).

When you feel you are in the mood for a sometimes silly, often raunchy, but VERY VERY funny movie, put this on some Friday evening. You won't be disappointed.

"Porky's" is as reckless as its characters and as memorable as its best scenes

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
28 May 2009

"Porky's" is the ultimate teenage fantasy, a movie celebrating group mentality shenanigans, everything from obsessing about sex to pulling the ultimate prank on that one old guy always bringing you down. It's a film that says that at heart, we're all good-natured kids that wish we could be irresponsible every so often.

This is "Porky's" only point, both its hindrance and most celebrated characteristic. There isn't any character development or a through plot line -- going to the strip club Porky's is only representative of two major scenes in the movie. It's about high school kids horsing around and trying to get laid in Florida in the '50s. There are some admirable but pointless subplots fixed on anti-Semitism and parent abuse, but it's just about laughs.

What makes "Porky's" unique is that it's about laughter, it's not just about creating it for the sake of being a comedy film. A stand-out scene is when the strict oafish gym teacher Ms.Ballbricker is explaining to the principal her plan to identify a trouble-making student by lining up several of the boys to examine their manhood. In the background, two of the students are dying from laughter and even the principal at one point can't hold it in any longer -- then a nice close-up of a portrait of President Eisenhower with a big grin on his face. That sums up "Porky's" nicely: we all need to laugh at the ridiculousness and humor of certain situations. If only the film spent a bit more time hammering that in instead of meandering about like a bored high schooler.

This is a film you can watch over and over again, not only because it can be funny for all appropriate ages, but it only thrives from scene to scene. The entire high school-aged fantasy of boys getting spy on the girls' showers owes its birth to this film, the hilarity as the new gym coach learns why the attractive young girls' coach is nicknamed "Lassie," and of course that ultimate revenge against the powers that be, in this case Porky and his redneck sheriff brother, who try and stop kids from having fun. It can be watched one scene at a time -- there's nothing gluing it all together.

Bob Clark's film has a carefree and reckless attitude that resembles that of his characters, but as admirable as that is -- and a rare find in a movie indeed, especially comedy -- there's no doubt that "Porky's" avoids being the kind of coming-of-age film it could have been. There's no substitute for memorable characters in addition to unforgettable scenes, but "Porky's" viewers can at least relish the latter.

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
6 January 2009

I expected this to be some sort of early American Pie, with teens desperate to lose their virginity, except in a strip bar, slightly more tasteless though, from director Bob Clark (Black Christmas, A Christmas Story, Baby Geniuses). Basically it is 1954, and we are following a group of high school teens going through puberty, and only thing on their minds, sex. We have horny toad Pee Wee (Dan Monahan), bad boy Tommy (Wyatt Knight), tough jock and abnormally "packaged" Meat (Tony Ganios), wise-ass redneck without any care Mickey (Roger Wilson), smart Jew Brian Schwartz (Scott Colomby), and racist Tim (Cyril O'Reilly). So they are peaking through holes to the girl's shower room, and making life difficult for teachers and each other, and then they find striptease bar "Porky's", only to be thrown out and humiliated soon after entering. They realise they won't get in, so they plan revenge, but they know that owner Porky (Chuck Mitchell), his brother is Sheriff Wallace (Alex Karras), making it difficult, and they also have to forget their differences to work together. Also starring Mark Herrier as Billy, young Sex and the City's Kim Cattrall as Honeywell, Kaki Hunter as Wendy, Nancy Parsons as Ms. Balbricker and Susan Clark as Cherry Forever. The highlights of the film for me are young Cattrall having sex, and her screams echoing in the below basketball court, and after peaking at the girls, one of the guys sticks his penis through one of the holes, and gets it clutched by the teacher. It is quite tasteless, but there is a tiny strange sense of charm about it also, a quite entertaining comedy. Worth watching!

A bit overrated but still a very funny teen sex comedy

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
16 March 2008

Rated R for Strong Sexual Content,Nudity,Language and Some Violence all involving teens

I first saw Porky's II The Next Day about six months ago on TV.I was a bit disappointed with it but I heard it was a disappointing sequel and I wanted to watch the original Porky's.Ireally enjoy the teen film genre.People compare this film to American Pie but I think American Pie is a bit better.Not to say that this isn't a hilarious film which is miles better than the sequel.The film takes place in the 1950's and it is about a group of friends and their funny misadventures while trying to have sex.They try to get into a nightclub called "Porky's" but the owner harasses them.One of the members keeps going back and gets his ass kicked plenty of times so they exact revenge on the nightclub.Porky's is a fairly funny teen film but I have seen better.The Last American Virgin I find is a better teen sex comedy(it is my favorite actually) because it has plenty of gross-out humor but it is also dramatic and realistic.Anyway, funny film.

That'll never be all, folks!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
10 April 2007

Bob Clark's untimely death in a car crash a few days ago brings to mind his career, including the hilarious T&A fest "Porky's". When I was really young and walked by it at the video store, I always assumed that it had something to do with Porky Pig; it does, if only very loosely. Watching the movie, I could only wonder how much fun they must have had filming it. I almost never stopped laughing, and when I did it was mostly because I ran out of breath from laughter. It's hard to say whether the best scene is the shower scene, or the whole end sequence. It's the sort of movie that you just have to see to believe.

OK, so a lot of the movie consists of what are probably male chauvinistic fantasies, but this is a comedy, folks! You're not supposed to take it seriously. But no matter how you interpret it, you gotta love it. Among the cast members is Kim Cattrall, many years before "Sex and the City". I liked the sequel equally.

In conclusion: Bob Clark, wherever you are, we'll always remember you, if only for this movie and its sequel.

Bob Clark directed movies as different as the "Porky's" movies, "Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things" and "A Christmas Story". The things that we see in life...

Still one of the funniest high school comedy movies of all time

Author: torskie from United States
3 December 2006

Porky's was a pleasant surprise to me when I watched it years after it's screening. If I had been in a movie theater, I would have made frequent trips to the urinal and likely evicted for loud, uncontrollable laughter.

The practical jokes, the sexual tensions of the teachers, and the sheer lust of high school vs. the moral majority is magnificently depicted. The shower scene was classic, only to be followed by Ballbricker's plan for catching the culprit. I still laugh until I cry when I see this, even on highly censored TV screenings.

This should be a classic teen comedy, if it isn't a cult classic already.

Adolescent male fantasies.

Author: OFG-Movie from Washington St.
13 September 2005

I like this movie. It's funny, it's entertaining and it is perverted. This movie is a collection of common adolescent male fantasies sewn together into story about Florida high school kids in the fifties. Fantasies depicted include a peek into the girls locker room, a trip to an adult club, making it with that especially good looking teacher, (done vicariously teacher on teacher) revenge against a group of bullies and more. Add to this several just plain funny practical jokes mixed in between the other scenes and you get an entertaining movie. Just about every male out there will be able to relate one or more situation or one or more characters. If you are looking for art or a message then this is not your movie. If you are looking for a glimpse into the teenage male mind, then you may enjoy this film, just don't become indignant when you see yourself dimly reflected here and there in the film.

surprisingly decent overall, very funny

Author: Kreme (kreme@kreme.com) from Earth (Middle)
21 September 2004

Porky's is no ANIMAL HOUSE or FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH, but then again, what is? Still, it has one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in film. The 'Lassie' scene? No. The 'shower' scene? Nope. The scene following the shower scene, featuring the coaches and the school principal discussing the possibilities of a 'line up' is still hilarious.

The comedy is raunchy, that's true. The 'plot' is simplistic, sure. The acting is passable, but nothing remarkable, OK. But it is funny, and it is still a lot of fun 20 years later. And, of course, it spawned a thousand imitators and two sequels. None quite capture the original's humor and somewhat innocent raunchiness.

Keep an eye out for Kim Catrell in an early role as "Lassie"

Page 2 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]