IMDb > Porky's (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 14 of 15: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Grossly overrated !

Author: MyDarkStar from United States
4 March 2002

I love to laugh at movies. I go to a movie with the right attitude, open for anything. I had heard how hilarious this movie was when it came out, and went with friends to see it. I was terribly disappointed. I couldn't believe just how juvenile and ridiculous the humor was in this film.

I use the word "juvenile" here, not to describe the type of comedy as much as the amount of intelligence it probably took to write the script. I mean, there's comedy that is raunchy, but funny ("American Pie", "There's Something About Mary", "Kingpin"), and then there's brainless, unclever, and predictable "Porky's".

In the theater I clearly remember watching the film and chuckling and laughing here and there...but not nearly as much as the characters on the screen were laughing. The same stood for everyone in the audience. The one scene that I always remember for this is the scene in the Principal's office with the two male gym teachers laughing in an uncontrollable frenzy. When the people who are laughing the most in the theater are on the screen, then something is wrong with the film.

Oh yha, they have naked women in the showers - ooooh.

Terrible, F***in terrible

Author: Vivian Flemington from Australia
6 April 2007

I can't believe how this even got funding to produce. Worst movie I have seen for a long time. And will have to be in my bottom 10. Pee Wee is such a stereotypical character. Porky is your typical redneck slob, and the teenagers were extremely disappointing. The only teen-sex movies made that deserve recognition are American Pie 1 & 2.

The dialouge is tedious, not funny at all. It is a tedious 2 hour movie, and I struggled my way through it. Sat down and continued to wait for the funny part, which never came.

It tries to tackle social issues of the 50's and currently (well, 1980's anyway), like gender, racism, anti-semitism & contraception, with very very very limited success. If it weren't for the woman who orgasms like a "Lassie" (another lame piece of dialouge and comparison), this would get a 0.

However, she was hot. So it deserves a 2.

An unfunny waste of time...

Author: MaximumCheese (urbanconfederate@gmail.com) from Chicago
24 July 2008

I decided to watch this movie with much higher expectations. After all, it's routinely spoken of by so many as the prototype teen/college movie, so I figured it would be several times better than today's movies of the same persuasion.

I was wrong. The movie seemed to get off to a good start, but quickly lost steam and became nearly unwatchable due to the low quality of the filming. Twenty minutes into the movie, I wanted to turn it off. The hallmark of a classic movie is that it still holds its appeal 20, 30, or 40 years after it was made. Porky's is not a classic. From a cinematic point of view, the character development is horrible by today's standards. Also, he movie is made like it's the first movie ever to contain female breasts, which is extremely irritating.

The jokes are horribly outdated, even for 1982. They might be funny to the 50 and 60-somethings who appreciate crude misogyny, racism, and fart jokes, but to me, they were just pathetic and heavy-handed.

For whatever reason, this movie seems to enjoy copious play on cable, bur I think it's best to just retire this over-rated suck-fest to the trash can.

Worst movie I have ever seen.

Author: Morelle and Todd
28 July 2002

I am ashamed to even be writing about this movie. But I feel a need to warn anyone considering watching this, DO NOT!!! First of all, I first heard about this while I was in Junior High. I remember the "cool" kids snuck into it, while paying for empire strikes back, or some other horrible early eighties movie. when I finally saw it on HBO, i was quite disappointed to say the least. I didn't find humor in constantly referring to "sizes" and "rubbers" being too big. this movie wasn't even funny by mistake. I am ashamed to have even watched it. Every actor was horrible. This movie is a big 0!!!!! I saw American Pie, and I did find some parts of it funny. I laughed out loud. Porkys wasn't even funny to me when I was 14 years old. If I ever laughed it was because every one else did. when I was young, I thought I must be naive and sheltered, now I realize that Porky's just wasn't funny.

Repulsive and unfunny

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
14 December 2001

I saw this movie back in 1981 and was appalled. I thought it was sick and found the constant emphasis on sexual humiliation kind of sad. Twenty years later I still hate it.

It deals with the stupid, smutty adventures of a group of Florida teenagers in 1954. All the jokes deal with sex and are unfunny; all the "teenagers" are obviously in their 20s (one guy was almost 30!); the girls and guys are equally ugly; nobody can act (although Nancy Parsons has a few moments) and, by today's standards, this is kind of dull. This was considered extreme in 1981 but, for better or worse, we've gone beyond it. For some reason this was a HUGE hit and led to 2 sequels. I have nothing against sex humor, but people are constantly being humiliated in this movie--it gets uncomfortable to watch.

I am giving the film a 2 because there are two very funny sequences in it--an "encounter" between Boyd Gaines and a very young Kim Cattrall who is very "vocal" and when the gym girls teacher wants a very--um--"private" exam of all the guys in the school. Those are funny and the film has extensive female AND male nudity! Still, that's hardly a recommendation.

It's hard to believe director Bob Clark did this. He's made some great films ("Murder by Decree", "Black Christmas", "A Christmas Story", "Deathdream"). Why did he do THIS?

An unimpressive entry in a genre that is plagued by lack of quality

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
30 December 2005

The raunchy teen comedy... one of the few genres where good film-making is such a rarity, you would wonder if it exists within it at all. I've seen my share of these films, most of them when I was younger and the tone appealed to me... but once you get over the age of 18, it's hard to look back and not consider them juvenile and tacky. There are a few fairly good films in the genre... the first example that springs to mind is American Pie, or my personal favorite, Road Trip. This, however, is not one of the good films... it's actually not awfully good at all. The humor is crude and pretty poor. The plot is dull and progresses so slowly, it will lull almost anyone to sleep. Anyone who doesn't laugh like crazy at the constant utterances of obscenities and references to sex, of course. The acting is mostly overplayed, as is the humor; gags and jokes are poorly set up and forced. The characters are poorly written and barely developed at all; I honestly can't tell the group of friends that make up the main characters apart. There is little to no comedic value, all the humor is based on being crude and/or seeing someone in embarrassing situations. That's not humor, that's being provocative and serving the inner jerk in the audience(ever hear of "schadenfreude"?). This just isn't a good film, period. Lazily made, plot barely coherent and nothing memorable neither as far as scenes nor as dialog go. One to avoid, unless you are an avid(or should I say rabid?) fan of the genre and you simply *have* to see every film of this kind. How this has risen to be one of the most popular and well-known of the genre is beyond me. 5/10

too much of a bad thing

Author: zimbo_the_donkey_boy from Calumet, Mich.
31 August 2003

Others have already expressed my thoughts on how this alleged "comedy" had no humor written into it. Therefore I will simply assert that, back when it first came out (and I unfortunately took the word of a friend who said it was funny), I was insulted by how poorly it was made. I was gypped out of my ticket price by jerks who dragged scenes on way too long. Did they shoot even one foot of film that they didn't leave in here? Sitting through this was like watching meat rot in the summer sun.

Insipid and stupid.

Author: dr_shred (steve@sprangle.com) from El Segundo, Ca
4 May 2005

Giving this movie credit for all the brainless teen comedies that followed is something like giving credit for mold growing inside your toilet bowl. It's actually a pathetic imitation of the real innovator, Animal House, the movie that really got the genre started. Animal House had some of the same problems but did have good writing (Doug Kinney and Harold Ramis), good direction (John Landis), good acting and was, well, funny. Porky's makes Animal House look like The Brothers Karamazov. It's a vile pastiche, patched together from somebody's infantile memories of high school, a dumb practical joke gone bad. And boring? Isn't this the one where the kid wakes up in the morning and refers to his male member as "you big husky" and tries to encourage it to, uh, rise? How funny. It does have one redeeming value: a sign of a significant generation gap between those raised on comedy which began (and in some ways ended) with the early greats (Lloyd, Keaton, Chaplin, Mac Sennett, Laurel and Hardy, W.C. Fields, Mae West, the Marx Bros. et al) and the Howard Stern generation.

Indictment of humankind, worst piece of crap ever produced

Author: toddrandall68 from United States
5 August 2005

I did not know that the man that directed "A Christmas Story" had anything to do with "Porkys." I am utterly dumbfounded and depressed right now as I ponder that fact. Porkys is straight out of the bowels of hell, and not worthy of the time I am wasting writing this comment. However, I do feel the need to warn everyone how horrible this degrading movie is. It is an indictment of human history. I think I found out why the "terrorists" hate us. I am actually starting to hate "us" too (at least those who encouraged meaningless, shallow people to produce movies like "Porkys"). I have resigned myself to the fact that I have to waddle through movies that are such simple minded nonsense because most movies goers want to be told what is funny and they would laugh at animal cruelty if there was sexual humiliation involved.

One last story before I go: When I was really depressed in my life once, I turned on the TV and this channel was showing these Porkys series back to back. I instantly felt better. I realized that no matter how bad things got in my life, at least I could say that I would neither subject another human to such mean spirited humiliation and juvenile hijinks nor lower myself to support such productions.

Anyone involved in the making of this movie should be disemboweled, boiled, kicked in the face, and then spat upon.

What a piece of crap.

Author: john in missouri from United States
29 April 2001

Having thought about it, I really can't say it more elegantly than that and get my comments past the censors.

Since I'm forced by the IMDb system to include at least 4 lines of commentary, and with due respect for all the fine teenage-sex-loving people who thought this was a wonderful film, let me add that when I was at K-Mart today combing the video shelves for a quality film to buy for my kids, I came real dang close to pulling a copy of Porky's off the shelf, toting it over to the checkout counter, shoving it in the checkout boy's face, and yelling, "YOU CARRY FIVE COPIES OF THIS S*** AND YOU DON'T HAVE EVEN ONE SINGLE COPY OF 'DRIVING MISS DAISY'??!? WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE??!?"

Out of 5 possible stars, this film earns a turd.

Page 14 of 15: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]