IMDb > Porky's (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Porky's

Porky's More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 15: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Great if your IQ is lower than your shoe size...

Author: TC Raymond from Hiding from this film
12 February 2004

I don't want to waste more time and energy than necessary on this atrocious and inexplicably popular trash, but I thought I should put my feelings on record, so that when the history of twentieth century film comedy is written, I can point to the chapter about Porky's being the highest-grossing Canadian film ever and say "Not in my name". This is the kind of film your stupid older brother or slightly retarded cousin who you're ashamed to be seen with in public would drool over. I know several people who consider it to be a classic, and they're all the kind of people you'd run through traffic to avoid. This is just mean-spirited, woman-hating, offensive junk that revels in the humiliation and degradation of its instantly unlikeable characters, then expects you to really care when bad things happen to them. You know you're in for a bad time when the characters on screen laugh more than the people in the audience. Laughter can be infectious, but if I ever found myself tittering at a piece of gutter trash like this, I'd report for psychotherapy the very next day.

horrible, embarrassing piece of filth.

Author: toddrandall8378 from Iowa
30 July 2002

I was completely embarrassed to watch this movie. I remember how all the kids in my 7th grade class snuck into the theater to see this movie. they would come back to school and talk about this movie endlessly. I finally saw it on HBO and I wondered what I missed. The humor wasn't even funny by mistake!! The characters were physically, morally, and socially unattractive. What was all the laughing about? Every scene in the movie had the characters laughing like "fat albert and the gang." Did I miss something? I guess this must have been the directors idea. Putting the laughing inside the movie in lieu of "laugh tracks" must be more realistic. Maybe the director knew that he was directing am awful movie with no humor so he has to remind the public that they paid money to laugh. With all that said, I must admit to watching it subsequent times when I have nothing better to do. I do this just to remind myself that if things ever get bad in my life, I can at least say that I had nothing to do with the making of this horrible movie.

Only funny if you have had a lobotomy....

Author: Puck-20 from Bannana Republic
22 August 2000

A movie from the very uneven Bob Clark, the director who gave us the wonderful "A Christmas Story" and the horrid "Baby Geniuses" ..."Porky's" is a sexist, juvenile, lame excuse for a comedy. I found it so non-funny...mainly because of its mean-spirited approach to humor. Give me "American Graffiti" anyday over this nonsense. I give it a ONE (1), and I'm being generous....

Grossly overrated !

Author: MyDarkStar from United States
4 March 2002

I love to laugh at movies. I go to a movie with the right attitude, open for anything. I had heard how hilarious this movie was when it came out, and went with friends to see it. I was terribly disappointed. I couldn't believe just how juvenile and ridiculous the humor was in this film.

I use the word "juvenile" here, not to describe the type of comedy as much as the amount of intelligence it probably took to write the script. I mean, there's comedy that is raunchy, but funny ("American Pie", "There's Something About Mary", "Kingpin"), and then there's brainless, unclever, and predictable "Porky's".

In the theater I clearly remember watching the film and chuckling and laughing here and there...but not nearly as much as the characters on the screen were laughing. The same stood for everyone in the audience. The one scene that I always remember for this is the scene in the Principal's office with the two male gym teachers laughing in an uncontrollable frenzy. When the people who are laughing the most in the theater are on the screen, then something is wrong with the film.

Oh yha, they have naked women in the showers - ooooh.

Terrible, F***in terrible

Author: Vivian Flemington from Australia
6 April 2007

I can't believe how this even got funding to produce. Worst movie I have seen for a long time. And will have to be in my bottom 10. Pee Wee is such a stereotypical character. Porky is your typical redneck slob, and the teenagers were extremely disappointing. The only teen-sex movies made that deserve recognition are American Pie 1 & 2.

The dialouge is tedious, not funny at all. It is a tedious 2 hour movie, and I struggled my way through it. Sat down and continued to wait for the funny part, which never came.

It tries to tackle social issues of the 50's and currently (well, 1980's anyway), like gender, racism, anti-semitism & contraception, with very very very limited success. If it weren't for the woman who orgasms like a "Lassie" (another lame piece of dialouge and comparison), this would get a 0.

However, she was hot. So it deserves a 2.

An unfunny waste of time...

Author: MaximumCheese (urbanconfederate@gmail.com) from Chicago
24 July 2008

I decided to watch this movie with much higher expectations. After all, it's routinely spoken of by so many as the prototype teen/college movie, so I figured it would be several times better than today's movies of the same persuasion.

I was wrong. The movie seemed to get off to a good start, but quickly lost steam and became nearly unwatchable due to the low quality of the filming. Twenty minutes into the movie, I wanted to turn it off. The hallmark of a classic movie is that it still holds its appeal 20, 30, or 40 years after it was made. Porky's is not a classic. From a cinematic point of view, the character development is horrible by today's standards. Also, he movie is made like it's the first movie ever to contain female breasts, which is extremely irritating.

The jokes are horribly outdated, even for 1982. They might be funny to the 50 and 60-somethings who appreciate crude misogyny, racism, and fart jokes, but to me, they were just pathetic and heavy-handed.

For whatever reason, this movie seems to enjoy copious play on cable, bur I think it's best to just retire this over-rated suck-fest to the trash can.

Worst movie I have ever seen.

Author: Morelle and Todd
28 July 2002

I am ashamed to even be writing about this movie. But I feel a need to warn anyone considering watching this, DO NOT!!! First of all, I first heard about this while I was in Junior High. I remember the "cool" kids snuck into it, while paying for empire strikes back, or some other horrible early eighties movie. when I finally saw it on HBO, i was quite disappointed to say the least. I didn't find humor in constantly referring to "sizes" and "rubbers" being too big. this movie wasn't even funny by mistake. I am ashamed to have even watched it. Every actor was horrible. This movie is a big 0!!!!! I saw American Pie, and I did find some parts of it funny. I laughed out loud. Porkys wasn't even funny to me when I was 14 years old. If I ever laughed it was because every one else did. when I was young, I thought I must be naive and sheltered, now I realize that Porky's just wasn't funny.

Repulsive and unfunny

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
14 December 2001

I saw this movie back in 1981 and was appalled. I thought it was sick and found the constant emphasis on sexual humiliation kind of sad. Twenty years later I still hate it.

It deals with the stupid, smutty adventures of a group of Florida teenagers in 1954. All the jokes deal with sex and are unfunny; all the "teenagers" are obviously in their 20s (one guy was almost 30!); the girls and guys are equally ugly; nobody can act (although Nancy Parsons has a few moments) and, by today's standards, this is kind of dull. This was considered extreme in 1981 but, for better or worse, we've gone beyond it. For some reason this was a HUGE hit and led to 2 sequels. I have nothing against sex humor, but people are constantly being humiliated in this movie--it gets uncomfortable to watch.

I am giving the film a 2 because there are two very funny sequences in it--an "encounter" between Boyd Gaines and a very young Kim Cattrall who is very "vocal" and when the gym girls teacher wants a very--um--"private" exam of all the guys in the school. Those are funny and the film has extensive female AND male nudity! Still, that's hardly a recommendation.

It's hard to believe director Bob Clark did this. He's made some great films ("Murder by Decree", "Black Christmas", "A Christmas Story", "Deathdream"). Why did he do THIS?

An unimpressive entry in a genre that is plagued by lack of quality

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
30 December 2005

The raunchy teen comedy... one of the few genres where good film-making is such a rarity, you would wonder if it exists within it at all. I've seen my share of these films, most of them when I was younger and the tone appealed to me... but once you get over the age of 18, it's hard to look back and not consider them juvenile and tacky. There are a few fairly good films in the genre... the first example that springs to mind is American Pie, or my personal favorite, Road Trip. This, however, is not one of the good films... it's actually not awfully good at all. The humor is crude and pretty poor. The plot is dull and progresses so slowly, it will lull almost anyone to sleep. Anyone who doesn't laugh like crazy at the constant utterances of obscenities and references to sex, of course. The acting is mostly overplayed, as is the humor; gags and jokes are poorly set up and forced. The characters are poorly written and barely developed at all; I honestly can't tell the group of friends that make up the main characters apart. There is little to no comedic value, all the humor is based on being crude and/or seeing someone in embarrassing situations. That's not humor, that's being provocative and serving the inner jerk in the audience(ever hear of "schadenfreude"?). This just isn't a good film, period. Lazily made, plot barely coherent and nothing memorable neither as far as scenes nor as dialog go. One to avoid, unless you are an avid(or should I say rabid?) fan of the genre and you simply *have* to see every film of this kind. How this has risen to be one of the most popular and well-known of the genre is beyond me. 5/10

too much of a bad thing

Author: zimbo_the_donkey_boy from Calumet, Mich.
31 August 2003

Others have already expressed my thoughts on how this alleged "comedy" had no humor written into it. Therefore I will simply assert that, back when it first came out (and I unfortunately took the word of a friend who said it was funny), I was insulted by how poorly it was made. I was gypped out of my ticket price by jerks who dragged scenes on way too long. Did they shoot even one foot of film that they didn't leave in here? Sitting through this was like watching meat rot in the summer sun.

Page 14 of 15: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]