IMDb > Porky's (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Porky's

Porky's More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 15: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I couldn't put a grin on my face

Author: departed07 from United States
14 November 2003

because i found this film too unfunny to watch. As the film starts with a group of teens about sex, there are other conflicts on the way, such as bigotry between two students, parental abuse from one of the guys, and revenge on a fat owner name Porky who doesn't know that the kids are underage. I saw American Pie and i found it more with joy to watch because of the love of the characters and how funny the situations were. Plus, there was a parent in American Pie (Eugene Levy in a cool role), that actually was concerned about his son and his ways of sex.

Porky's

It has some moments, but be more serious.

Pitiful Movie

Author: djkopacz from St Louis MO
29 July 2001

This movie is the only one I've walked out on in over 20 years! It's supposed to be a comedy, but it's not even funny. I like lots of "silly" movies such as Animal House, Caddyshack, and the like. This movie is just dumb!

a disgrace

Author: Tristan Maack from Ottawa, Ontario
5 December 1999

Porky's is a comedy entirely based on humiliation. Therefore, when the jokes occur, we cringe, rather than laugh. There is no character development, or even any true sense of fun to speak of while watching Porky's. But then again, if you have a cruel sense of humour, and find humiliation funny, you may enjoy this raunchy teen comedy. If you're looking for any kind of originality or cleverness you certainly won't find it in Porky's, a raunchy, sexist 80s comedy disguised as 1950s nostalgia. Serious filmgoers avoid at all cost (unless you're interested in the kind of social criticism I so obviously relish.)

Below average at best or Dull, misogynistic "comedy" for those the lowest common denominator.

Author: billjsw from Bellerose, NY, USA
14 July 2006

For years I've passed up the chance to rent Porky's although it had a reputation of being the mutha of all teen comedies (i.e.immature sex romps). However I'm truly surprised I didn't fall asleep watching this dud. The plot is dull and seemingly obligatory that just loosely ties a bunch of tired and unfunny "gags" and a few mean-spirited pranks together. And don't even start me on the shower scene by saying "wow, nudity." Big deal. Just because someone is well-endowed that does not make him any good in the sack. If you catch my drift. I've seen nudity in several teen sex comedies. This all done in a very not-sexy, not-funny (or fun for that matter) generic way.

There are other films of the same time that were not misogynistic, one dimensional and mean-spirited (see The Last American Virgin, Fast Times At Ridgemount High and The Party Animal). And even more so - those films are actually funny and have characters that you remember. Porky's main cast are pretty faceless, generic "guys". There's no depth or real personality to any of the characters to speak of.

They are a group of friends who don't even seem to like each other. Pee-wee is perhaps ill-suited with these guys and then there's a rather tacked-on sub-plot of anti-Semitism involving Tim who is abused by his Father. Are we supposed to not feel sorry for Tim for being abused because he's an anti-Semite?

Very pedestrian film-making aspiring to be a bit more indeed. Perhaps the film-makers are trying to tell us that prejudice, abuse and misogyny apparently were very much a thing that only existed in the 1950's? Actually I don't think they gave it any thought.

If you are emotionally-stunted to that of a 9 year-old you may like this (because you don't know any better) and for those who believe that everything made in Canada is funny (If SCTV is a 10 then this is -8).

Popular College Comedy?!

Author: gcd70 from Melbourne, Australia
8 May 2010

One of the more popular of a spate of these college-sex comedies was Porky's from director and screenwriter Bob Clark. Why? Who knows. About two scenes bring real hilarity. The rest are silly, crude or ineffective.

No one from this film, in front of or behind the camera, went on to do anything big, except perhaps Kim Cattrall. Wasn't she in some of the "Police Academy" movies? And what else did she do again?

**Post dated note that Kim Cattrall has now found much success in "Sex and the City" so I guess I have to eat my words**

Saturday, November 27, 1999 - Video

Contains Full Frontal Male and Female Nudity.

Author: james362001 from Lancaster, California
10 August 2002

Every once in a while I like to watch something so silly I can forget my own problems. I remember seeing Porky's in the theater twenty years ago at he age of 19. I just saw it again now at the age of 39. Porky's is still a hoot. You will laugh so hard your tummy will hurt. This film is NOT for children to see nor hear. This film contains full frontal male nudity and full frontal female nudity and sexual content. The second film is Porky's II: The Next Day (1983), followed by Porky's Revenge (1985).

The Dullest Nudie Movie I've Seen (except for "Showgirls")

Author: dcshanno from New York City
23 May 2002

I remember Andy Kent Kern (this was his name) telling me about the scene in "Porky's" in which a guy pokes his penis through a wall in a woman's shower room while we were waiting in line to go ice skating at Ellenberger Park. We were in second grade. I had a sheltered childhood and hadn't seen `Porky's,' but the idea was nevertheless hilarious to me. Why would anyone stick his penis through a hole in a wall, I wondered. I guess I've carried the memory of that initial tantalizing curiosity with me, and this is why, after 18 years, I finally rented the movie and found out what Andy Kern was talking about. It really was not worth the wait.

"Porky's" is pretty much a raunchy comedy for anyone who found "Animal House" too sophisticated. Filled with a cast made up of "Summer of '42" rejects, "Porky's" goes along as if using the word "rubber" and the occasional appearance of boobs is enough to fill an hour and 40 minute movie. Sure, it strives for a little depth by sprinkling in anti-Semitism, abusive fathers, and a revenge subplot, but it really wasn't enough to keep me interested. I actually got up to get a snack during the shower scene.

Here's the one thing that bothered me about the movie the most: Why would Pee Wee hang out with those guys? They do nothing but ridicule him and don't make a single attempt to help him attain his, um, goal until the very end of the film. Aren't there some other guys in this school?

I rented this on DVD, and, although I appreciated the widescreen format, the transfer was crap. The sequel also appears on the flip side of the disc, but I don't think I'll be watching it.

American Pie Zero

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
31 March 2002

This film reminded me a lot of American Pie, which is to say, if I had watched the films in the correct order of release, American Pie is a lot like this film. This film has a lot of gross out comedy, it goes on and on about sex, it is a bit stupid but it is pretty funny. There are only three thing that Porky's misses. The first is a moral, which both American Pie and American Pie 2 have (true love) or a grand theme (like FREEDOM and FUN in Road Trip). The second is a real cool character, like Steve ‘the Stiffmeister' Stifler in American Pie or E.L. in Road Trip (all three times beautifully performed by Sean William Scott). Third and least, Porky's misses a good script, which means, that there are times in which the film kind of falls flat and gets a bit boring, because people are trying to create a good story where there is no good story. The jokes are good though and not too gross enough (not going over that line, which Freddy got Fingered passed with terminal velocity).

6,5 out of 10

A porker of a movie

Author: Karl Self from Yurp
30 October 2008

This movie is loved by many who saw it as teenagers. I saw it somewhat later in life (last night), and, man, I hated it. This is one behemoth of a bad movie with no redeeming quality to it. Sorry, all you Porky-lovers.

The story centers loosely around a group of high school juniors and seniors who are all played by actors who are roughly ten years older. In the case of the girls, fifteen years older. Some seem to be pushing menopause. Others have brought along their children and grandchildren. One of the gang, Pee Wee, is desperate to get laid, others are peeping into the girls' shower (allowing us, the audience, to finally cop some T&A) and end up getting busted by the aptly named coach Ballbricker (geddit?), two teachers have it off and she (played by Kim Cattrall of Sex And The City, who somehow, throughout her career, consistently managed to get the part of the cute sexpot) howls like Lassie, and another plot involves some of the gang getting thrown out of a strip joint by the evil Southron Porky (hence the name of the movie) and his Southern Sheriff brother, and then taking revenge so epic and disproportional that it makes the bible's seventh son of a seventh' son rule look conciliatory. Some depth is added by addressing the weighty issues of antisemitism ("How do you know to fight so well?" -- "As a Jew, it's either that or having to eat sheet. I don't like sheet." -- "How often did you have to fight before?" -- "First time." -- "So what was that talk about the difficulty of prevailing as a Jew about?" -- "Never mind, let's get on with the movie."), violent rock'n'rolling fathers, and pig-ugly fat prude cock-blocking sports coaches with 'double-entendre' names.

I found the plot arbitrary, ambling and pointless, and the humour puerile, scatological and boorish. I felt like Jesse Jackson at a clan rallye. I didn't like the fact that men share a woman and discuss her sexual eccentricities among each other, I don't think it's good, clean, harmless fun for boys to peep into the girls' shower and stick their private parts in, or to collectively lose their virginity at a brothel or by group-banging a prostitute, or for a girl to have it off with a boy she doesn't fancy but merely at the behest of a group. I wasn't offended or anything, I was just bored.

Like I said, if you have fond memories of watching this movie in '82 in a packed house, good for you. But right now you'd need a time machine to enjoy it.

PS: I thought that the actor playing Pee-Wee, Dan Monahan, looks like the spitting image of Ally McBeal's Peter MacMillan. I had to look them up here at IMDb to find out they're not identical. PPS: The movie has three redeeming features: the Porky's neon sign, Porky's pink car, and the car's horn which makes the sound of a squealing pig. Cool!

The best sex comedy ever made

Author: Richard Travers (richard@travers18.freeserve.co.uk) from Nottingham, England
30 November 2001

Porkys was one of the very first sex comedies to hit the big screen. Many others followed it in a vain attempt to achieve the same level of originality, humour and success, but they all failed, most miserably ! More recently there has been a fairly successful revival of this genre, with the likes of American Pie (and it's sequel), and Road Trip. I still believe Porkys to be the best. The shower scene is an all time classic, preceeded by the famous "Lassie" scene, and followed by the hilarious "Penis Line-up" requested by Miss Ballbreaker ! Bob Clark is a tremendously talented writer/director, particularly when you consider his wide range of films, ranging from Horror to Comedy. Of his films that I have seen, I would particularly recommend Porkys, Turk 182, From the Hip, By Decree and Black Christmas.

Page 13 of 15: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]