IMDb > Porky's (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Porky's

Porky's More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 14: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The best sex comedy ever made

Author: Richard Travers (richard@travers18.freeserve.co.uk) from Nottingham, England
30 November 2001

Porkys was one of the very first sex comedies to hit the big screen. Many others followed it in a vain attempt to achieve the same level of originality, humour and success, but they all failed, most miserably ! More recently there has been a fairly successful revival of this genre, with the likes of American Pie (and it's sequel), and Road Trip. I still believe Porkys to be the best. The shower scene is an all time classic, preceeded by the famous "Lassie" scene, and followed by the hilarious "Penis Line-up" requested by Miss Ballbreaker ! Bob Clark is a tremendously talented writer/director, particularly when you consider his wide range of films, ranging from Horror to Comedy. Of his films that I have seen, I would particularly recommend Porkys, Turk 182, From the Hip, By Decree and Black Christmas.

Great if your IQ is lower than your shoe size...

Author: TC Raymond from Hiding from this film
12 February 2004

I don't want to waste more time and energy than necessary on this atrocious and inexplicably popular trash, but I thought I should put my feelings on record, so that when the history of twentieth century film comedy is written, I can point to the chapter about Porky's being the highest-grossing Canadian film ever and say "Not in my name". This is the kind of film your stupid older brother or slightly retarded cousin who you're ashamed to be seen with in public would drool over. I know several people who consider it to be a classic, and they're all the kind of people you'd run through traffic to avoid. This is just mean-spirited, woman-hating, offensive junk that revels in the humiliation and degradation of its instantly unlikeable characters, then expects you to really care when bad things happen to them. You know you're in for a bad time when the characters on screen laugh more than the people in the audience. Laughter can be infectious, but if I ever found myself tittering at a piece of gutter trash like this, I'd report for psychotherapy the very next day.

horrible, embarrassing piece of filth.

Author: toddrandall8378 from Iowa
30 July 2002

I was completely embarrassed to watch this movie. I remember how all the kids in my 7th grade class snuck into the theater to see this movie. they would come back to school and talk about this movie endlessly. I finally saw it on HBO and I wondered what I missed. The humor wasn't even funny by mistake!! The characters were physically, morally, and socially unattractive. What was all the laughing about? Every scene in the movie had the characters laughing like "fat albert and the gang." Did I miss something? I guess this must have been the directors idea. Putting the laughing inside the movie in lieu of "laugh tracks" must be more realistic. Maybe the director knew that he was directing am awful movie with no humor so he has to remind the public that they paid money to laugh. With all that said, I must admit to watching it subsequent times when I have nothing better to do. I do this just to remind myself that if things ever get bad in my life, I can at least say that I had nothing to do with the making of this horrible movie.

Grossly overrated !

Author: MyDarkStar from United States
4 March 2002

I love to laugh at movies. I go to a movie with the right attitude, open for anything. I had heard how hilarious this movie was when it came out, and went with friends to see it. I was terribly disappointed. I couldn't believe just how juvenile and ridiculous the humor was in this film.

I use the word "juvenile" here, not to describe the type of comedy as much as the amount of intelligence it probably took to write the script. I mean, there's comedy that is raunchy, but funny ("American Pie", "There's Something About Mary", "Kingpin"), and then there's brainless, unclever, and predictable "Porky's".

In the theater I clearly remember watching the film and chuckling and laughing here and there...but not nearly as much as the characters on the screen were laughing. The same stood for everyone in the audience. The one scene that I always remember for this is the scene in the Principal's office with the two male gym teachers laughing in an uncontrollable frenzy. When the people who are laughing the most in the theater are on the screen, then something is wrong with the film.

Oh yha, they have naked women in the showers - ooooh.

Pitiful Movie

Author: djkopacz from St Louis MO
29 July 2001

This movie is the only one I've walked out on in over 20 years! It's supposed to be a comedy, but it's not even funny. I like lots of "silly" movies such as Animal House, Caddyshack, and the like. This movie is just dumb!

a disgrace

Author: Tristan Maack from Ottawa, Ontario
5 December 1999

Porky's is a comedy entirely based on humiliation. Therefore, when the jokes occur, we cringe, rather than laugh. There is no character development, or even any true sense of fun to speak of while watching Porky's. But then again, if you have a cruel sense of humour, and find humiliation funny, you may enjoy this raunchy teen comedy. If you're looking for any kind of originality or cleverness you certainly won't find it in Porky's, a raunchy, sexist 80s comedy disguised as 1950s nostalgia. Serious filmgoers avoid at all cost (unless you're interested in the kind of social criticism I so obviously relish.)

Below average at best or Dull, misogynistic "comedy" for those the lowest common denominator.

Author: billjsw from Bellerose, NY, USA
14 July 2006

For years I've passed up the chance to rent Porky's although it had a reputation of being the mutha of all teen comedies (i.e.immature sex romps). However I'm truly surprised I didn't fall asleep watching this dud. The plot is dull and seemingly obligatory that just loosely ties a bunch of tired and unfunny "gags" and a few mean-spirited pranks together. And don't even start me on the shower scene by saying "wow, nudity." Big deal. Just because someone is well-endowed that does not make him any good in the sack. If you catch my drift. I've seen nudity in several teen sex comedies. This all done in a very not-sexy, not-funny (or fun for that matter) generic way.

There are other films of the same time that were not misogynistic, one dimensional and mean-spirited (see The Last American Virgin, Fast Times At Ridgemount High and The Party Animal). And even more so - those films are actually funny and have characters that you remember. Porky's main cast are pretty faceless, generic "guys". There's no depth or real personality to any of the characters to speak of.

They are a group of friends who don't even seem to like each other. Pee-wee is perhaps ill-suited with these guys and then there's a rather tacked-on sub-plot of anti-Semitism involving Tim who is abused by his Father. Are we supposed to not feel sorry for Tim for being abused because he's an anti-Semite?

Very pedestrian film-making aspiring to be a bit more indeed. Perhaps the film-makers are trying to tell us that prejudice, abuse and misogyny apparently were very much a thing that only existed in the 1950's? Actually I don't think they gave it any thought.

If you are emotionally-stunted to that of a 9 year-old you may like this (because you don't know any better) and for those who believe that everything made in Canada is funny (If SCTV is a 10 then this is -8).

Terrible, F***in terrible

Author: Vivian Flemington from Australia
6 April 2007

I can't believe how this even got funding to produce. Worst movie I have seen for a long time. And will have to be in my bottom 10. Pee Wee is such a stereotypical character. Porky is your typical redneck slob, and the teenagers were extremely disappointing. The only teen-sex movies made that deserve recognition are American Pie 1 & 2.

The dialouge is tedious, not funny at all. It is a tedious 2 hour movie, and I struggled my way through it. Sat down and continued to wait for the funny part, which never came.

It tries to tackle social issues of the 50's and currently (well, 1980's anyway), like gender, racism, anti-semitism & contraception, with very very very limited success. If it weren't for the woman who orgasms like a "Lassie" (another lame piece of dialouge and comparison), this would get a 0.

However, she was hot. So it deserves a 2.

Redefines the lowest common denominator

Author: bob_meg from United States
10 January 2010

You grab your camcorder, sneak into a locker room full of naked girls, start filming them, and howl hilariously the entire time, maybe even putting down the camera so you can laugh some more. Next time you get together with your friends, you show it to them, and THEY laugh hilariously also. Sure...why not? Then you ask them each for money. Suddenly the laughter stops.

Of course they're not going to pay you...you basically were just jacking around with a camera for laughs. Yet, that's exactly what Bob Clark did in 1982, and legions of high schoolers flocked to see "Porky's." Some might call this "good business"...I call it a con job. I thought so when it came out, at age 17, and I think so now.

Other than the film --- and I really hate to even call it that --- having virtually no character development, abysmal acting, onion-skin plot, and blatant hucksterism in spades, what's really offensive about it is how the "characters" react in the face of all this outright degradation...they think it's a scream. Hey, being a crass, insensitive moron is HYSTERICAL.

The late Bob Clark, while being an OK director, had some talent buried deep within him --- it flashed briefly with "A Christmas Story" and "Black Christmas" --- but when he wasn't doing movies set in December, the guy's range was shockingly limited. He obviously would do anything for a fast buck, judging by his list of credits, and it looks like that integrity extends to his family in the wake of his untimely death a few years back...

If this kind of juvenile crap turns your crank, fine. Go snap some nudie footage of your girlfriend, sister, or whoever. Just don't slap it on the retail market and try to make money off of it.

Worst movie I have ever seen.

Author: Morelle and Todd
28 July 2002

I am ashamed to even be writing about this movie. But I feel a need to warn anyone considering watching this, DO NOT!!! First of all, I first heard about this while I was in Junior High. I remember the "cool" kids snuck into it, while paying for empire strikes back, or some other horrible early eighties movie. when I finally saw it on HBO, i was quite disappointed to say the least. I didn't find humor in constantly referring to "sizes" and "rubbers" being too big. this movie wasn't even funny by mistake. I am ashamed to have even watched it. Every actor was horrible. This movie is a big 0!!!!! I saw American Pie, and I did find some parts of it funny. I laughed out loud. Porkys wasn't even funny to me when I was 14 years old. If I ever laughed it was because every one else did. when I was young, I thought I must be naive and sheltered, now I realize that Porky's just wasn't funny.

Page 13 of 14: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]