IMDb > Porky's (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Porky's

Porky's More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Go ahead and laugh! It's okay!

Author: TOMASBBloodhound from Omaha, NE USA
11 May 2003

I can certainly understand adults not finding this film as funny as adolescents will. This story of high school buddies trying to infiltrate a Florida brothel in the 1950s is neither classy nor sophisticated.

It is, however, quite funny. Just sit back and watch the group of pals playing tricks on each other and sticking together when things turn serious. Watching it today brings back memories of some of the stupid things me and my high school friends did back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. We all tried to get into strip clubs before we were 18. We didn't see any trouble with breaking the law as long as nobody got hurt. We all were out to have a much sex as we possibly could. That's what a good portion of growing up for us guys is all about!

That said, the events depicted in this film, such as destroying a night club and sticking our manhood through a hole in the girls' shower didn't happen. That's why films are made. They take ideas in our heads and try to show what would happen if they actually played out.

Only the coldest and stiffest of men couldn't find anything to laugh about with this movie. It is in no way meant to be taken seriously. It has been criticized to the point of no return, though. Why? Are some people unable to laugh at juvenile pranks, or were they on the receiving end of them when they were in high school?

If you had fun growing up, you will probably like this film. If you look back at your younger years with regret, then you most likely won't enjoy it.

8 of 10 stars

And just gotta add 4/4/2007...... RIP Bob Clark. We'll miss you, man!

The Hound will see you on the other side some day!

Telephone call for Michael.....

Author: jimbo700 from United States
1 February 2006

Porky's is the original teen sex comedy.

I had the great pleasure of seeing Porky's in a late night showing on opening day in March 1982 in a theater packed to the gills with 18-25 year olds (although I was 30). I hurt for 3 days from laughing so hard.

There is a portion of the movie, beginning close to the 1 hour mark that is the absolute funniest 14 minutes ever put on film. This includes these three hilarious scenes: Coach and Lassie in the boys locker room (Coach Brackett finds out why they call Miss Honeywell Lassie), then it segues to the guys peeping through the holes into the girls shower room, where Beulah Balbricker gets a 'handle' on Tommy's situation, immediately followed by the scene with Coach Brackett, Coach Warren and Head Coach Goodenough in Principal Carter's office with Beulah describing the "incriminating mole". There were people out of their seats, laying on the floor of the theater screaming with laughter. I have yet to see another motion picture invoke this kind of hilarity in a movie theater. I saw it in the theater 2 or 3 times in it's original theatrical run with the same response. When it became available, I bought the VHS copy, then the laser disc copy and when I got the DVD a few month's ago, I watched it for the zillionth time and I still laugh my butt off when I see those scenes. The acting is great for a bunch of no-names, there are actually great multiple plot-lines (in addition to the typical "get laid at any cost" plot) and the cinematography, editing and sound is above average. They made this movie in 90 days for less than $4 million and it grossed $7 million opening weekend and has grossed over $100 million in theaters to date, most of that in 1982 dollars. The only thing I can say bad about Porky's is that they should have stopped after the first one. The first pathetic sequel (The Next Day) lacked humor, the second sequel (Porky's Revenge) had 30-year-olds playing teenagers and they had long-since lost their youthful charm.

Absolutely hilarious

Author: Tom Hull (thull1@kc.rr.com) from Merriam, Kansas
29 April 2003

I looked at the first two pages (here on the IMDB website) of other comments and am not at all surprised to find comments ranging from very good to very bad; this is that kind of movie.

If you haven't seen it, here's my take on it. People who are stuffy, proper, sophisticated, and politically correct in a social sense are not going to care for this movie. On the other hand, if you are laid back, easy going, don't have to have an uplifting and moral story line, and appreciate comedy (often sexy and somewhat raw), you are going to love this movie. The producer and director very obviously made this movie for the simple purpose of providing the audience with a lot of very funny comedy. And they succeeded immensely (if you are laid back, easy going, etc.) The scenes range from funny to hilarious.

Buy or rent the video. I've seen this on network TV and it is very "sanitized".

The guiltiest of pleasures....

Author: Mister-6 from United States
15 August 1999

No one goes into a movie like "Porky's" expecting greatness. But if you get at least one good laugh, that's good enough.

Two laughs, even better.

Three, great.

Four, fantastic.

I got more laughs than this out of "Porky's", but since I went in expecting them to reach the lowest common denominator, I got just what I came in looking for.

Who doesn't know the story, o connoisseurs of lowbrow humor? What you want to know is if it's funny. Of course it is, but this isn't the best movie for family video night (then again, it depends on the family).

I won't spoil any of the gags for you but I can tell you the biggest ones depend, separately, on eggs, oversized condoms, holes in the girls' showers and a prank call to the local diner. And where, in one instance, you'd keep a driver's license.

Sorry, you'll just have to see the thing.

Eight stars, and beware of moral turpitude.

A Guilty Pleasure

Author: gbheron from Washington, DC
21 September 2002

All of us have certain films, not well liked by either critics or public, which nonetheless really strike a chord within us. They're our guilty pleasures, movies that we never tire of, but don't brag about. "Porky's" is one of mine. It's insipid, inane, and amateurish. The plot doesn't make much sense, and the characters don't behave rationally. But I don't care. "Porky's" is fun, transporting me back to a mythical time in America when it was great to be a teenager. Life was a lark, issues were black and white, and all endings are happy. In this regards "Porky's" resembles many of Disney's movies like "Pollyanna", a haunt of other guilty pleasures. Sheer fantasy, sheer entertainment. I dig this movie, but that's just my opinion.

Everyone's favorite guilty pleasure!

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
16 May 2009

I've never met anyone in my life who didn't love "Porky's" (in real life, that is, because on the Internet you always encounter people with different opinions) and that is probably just because this is an irresistibly energetic and out-and-out funny 80's teen comedy! The essence of juvenile & vulgar comedies lies here within this film, and arguably also "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "Animal House", but definitely not in the lame and uninspired nowadays flicks such as "American Pie". All the classic gags and politically incorrect jests are here: small penis jokes, big penis jokes, sticking penises in usual things, voyeurism through minuscule peepholes, the eternal virgin nerd, loud-screaming girls, redneck humor and much more. If you ever wondered where Bart Simpson found the inspiration for his prank calls, well that's probably because he watched "Porky's" as well! This is the simplistic tale of a bunch of teenage friends, all of them with incontrollable raging hormones, attending high school in the 1950's. In their never ending journey to get laid, they battle against all types of annoying authorities (read: adults) like gym coaches, parents, police officers and obnoxious nightclub owners. Particularly this last group forms a severe obstacle, as the boys are desperately trying to get into a strip club in a neighboring county but the owner – a fat and sleazy hillbilly nicknamed Porky – and his gang of local yokels get a kick out of humiliating and beating up juvenile visitors. In between all their hectic adventures at school, the group plots the ultimate act of vengeance against Porky and his whole county of hillbilly freaks. Personally I don't understand how you could NOT enjoy a movie like "Porky's", as it is so stimulating, cheerful and harmlessly infantile. The main characters are delightfully stereotypical high school bastards (especially the unforgettable Pee Wee) and some of the situations they find themselves stuck in are indescribably hilarious. A few of the highlights include an outrageous sex sequence with future "Sex and the City" starlet Kim Cattrall and the legendary coach Balbricker's quest to have one of the boys suspended for obscenities in the girls' shower. Needless to say "Porky's" is a sex comedy chock-full of gratuitous T & A (and enough wool to knit a sweater with…) and crude insinuations, but if this movie is too offensive for you already, you better sing up in a convent straight away. This was the biggest box office hit for the versatile writer/director Bob Clark, who directed pleasant comedies like this as well as creepy horror movies like "Black Christmas" and "Dead of Night". He sadly died in a dramatic car accident in 2007. Thanks to films like "Porky's", he at least leaves behind a spirited heritage! Rest in peace, Mr. Clark.

made me laugh

Author: vikki from new york
6 September 2003

I saw it in middle school, thought it super-cool, and most of my

college friends had fond memories to share of sneaking in to see

it. The subject would come up over a game of quarters or

something.

Porky's isn't brilliant and maybe deserves a lot of socio-critical

dissection, but I just thought it was funny at the time. I don't know it

deserves film-critic attack - wasn't it low-budget and lucky to get

some mainstream distribution?

Anyway, my memories of Porky's made American Pie a lot more

funnier, too. The two would be a good movie night double feature.

Very fun comedy

Author: Chromium_5 from Minnesota
30 October 2005

I am proud to say this is one of my favorite comedies, and I normally don't even like the "American Pie" type of sex comedy. The humor is raunchy, but in a good-natured way, and all the actors look like they're having a blast. The odd thing is that there doesn't seem to be any real reason why it's taking place in the 50's, except maybe to get across the message that teenagers have always been, and always will be, horny. Also, to the people who say this is "dated"... you guys do realize it's taking place 30 years before it was made, right?

It's not the funniest movie you'll ever see, except for a few truly hysterical scenes, but you have to love the way it captures the fun irresponsibility of high school. I think a lot of people can relate to this no matter what generation they're from, making it a definite classic. My advice is to steer clear of the upcoming remake, which will undoubtedly be raunchier and ruder, but probably have ten times less heart.

Pure hilarity

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
2 July 1999

Porky's is a film that has so many funny moments in it that you don't really have time to catch your breath before the next gag is hurled upon you. This is absolutely one of the funniest films I have ever seen. And the reason for that hilarity is because of it's frankness and propensity to take risks. They don't make movies like this anymore. Everyone is so worried about the damn sensors and that is too bad because a movie like this, while I can acknowledge may not be for everyone's taste, is one that explores teens in high school and it also explores how innocently cruel we were to each other in high school.

What makes this film so funny is that the characters look like they are having fun. They like to mess with each other. They enjoy embarrassing one another and they are sex starved high school kids. And really, weren't a lot of us males like that in high school? Are a lot of us still not like that?

You have an assorted cast of characters from Meat, the rather large ( in many ways ) guardian of the group. Women love him for various reasons and it is his size and manliness that makes him so much fun to poke fun at. Then there is Tommy Turner. He is the leader of the group and always seems to come up with the ideas to get his friends laid or in trouble. You have Billy and Brian and of course PeeWee. He is the guy that everyone likes, yet his exaggerated Casanova stories get him in several sticky but funny situations with his friends. The characters at Angel Beach high school are hilarious and I honestly wish I could have known guys like this.

The true strength of this film is the hilarity. The kids make it funny because they always look like they are having fun. When one person is taking their licks, the other five that are in on the gag are laughing under their breaths and all you get is a snicker or two. And we can all relate to that. How, something is funny but we have to play our part to keep the cherade going. These kids do that with perfection here. I also have to mention some of the scenes that make this film the teen classic that it is. The first is the scene when Mr. Carter, their principal is being pressured by Ms. Balbricker to find the guy who had his penis hanging out of a drain pipe in the girls shower. Mr. Carter is doing his best to keep a straight face but he is going to crack at the absurdity of the request. To make matters worse, the two male gym teacher are not making it any easier by snickering to themselves. When Mr. Carter finally cracks, we crack with him. This is comedy at it's best. Also very funny are the Lassie part and the beginning when PeeWee is running down a country road naked. You really have to see it.

This film is unapolegetically crude, lude and vulgar in many ways. But it is so damn funny that you don't pay attention to that stuff. My gut still hurts from laughing when I watch this film. And oh yeah, the shower scene isn't bad either.

Laugh mom!

Author: milosengle3 from Belgrade, Serbia
16 December 2007

First I read the review that Maltin and Ebert gave for this movie.They were bad.But they were wrong! Porky's is a great old school comedy! It's about friendship,It's about girls,It's about life and how life should be like:JOKES,JOKES,JOKES!!! Having fun with your friends,having fun with girls and yes having fun with your enemies!!! I really liked this movie,it made me laugh;showed that you cannot solve all your problems by your self...If your friend is drunk,help him,if your friend is beat up,stand by his side,if you have a problem with girls perhaps your buddy will help you... Maltin,Ebert go watch Casablanca one more time.You missed something,there's no jokes,no shower and no Porky's!!!

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]