IMDb > Partners (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Partners More at IMDbPro »

A Little Information Is Better Than None At All

Author: omniwise from America
23 February 2004

I would like to point out to all the people who felt it necessary to take offence at this movie: It was pretty groundbreaking for the time it was released. Speaking as a lone gay teenager in the Bible Belt, it was very informative to see people such as the "caftan clad landlord" and realize that there were places in the world where men could live together as couples. The landlords story of his relationship was very touching.This movie holds a special place in my heart because it was the FIRST movie that let me know I was not alone in the world. If you are not gay, you don't understand what I am pointing out.If you are gay, and you are that offended at the gay stereotyping in the movie, then you were born in California, New York or somewhere else progressive and should consider yourself fortunate you didn't have to rely on movies such as this one for acceptance.This movie was presented from the point of view of Ryan's character which is to be expected since he was the bigger star at the time.

ANTI-Gay??? Ridiculous!!!

Author: hokeybutt from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
13 August 2005

PARTNERS (3+ outta 5 stars) Very funny movie... I guess you could basically call it the situation comedy version of "Cruising". In the Al Pacino role of the reluctant undercover cop who has to pretend to be gay is Ryan O'Neal. He is teamed up with Kerwin, an actual gay man (John Hurt) who will help them gain legitimacy as they move into LA's gay community to search for a killer. O'Neal does a nice, light comedy job (and even gets to show off some naked tush) but Hurt really gives this movie some heart as it becomes more and more obvious that he is starting to have tender feelings for his hetero partner. For the life of me I can't understand how people have gotten the idea that this is an ANTI-gay movie? Sure, some the attitudes towards homosexuals and the jokes directed at them are offensive at times... but the movie makes it clear that the people making those remarks are in the wrong! The film's sympathies are definitely with Hurt and not with the gay-bashing cops and their snide comments. As a police story or a mystery the movie is only so-so... but as a smile-inducing buddy movie it hits the bullseye. Scripted and produced by Francis Veber, who created "La Cage Aux Folles" and many other similarly-themed movies in France. The direction might be a little crude and uninspired, but the movie's heart is in the right place.

this is a comedy

Author: roydmck from Canada
2 February 2005

Yes that is right- this movie was released as a comedy not a document on gaylife in the 1980's or whatever- I really get tired of all the reviewers who have to read social relevance into every movie about gays that was ever made. 40 or so years ago there were no gay movies - so at least in 1982 we had gays on the screen. This all being said I would not call this a great movie- it is amusing - mostly from the stereotypical gays and gay-jokes that make up the substance of the movie- I rated it a 4 on the scale- I laughed- I spent a pleasant hour or so watching it on video. Nothing earth-shattering but also nothing all that derogatory- it doesn't deserve all the ranting that I have read about it over the years.

A cop's life can be pretty 'gay' sometimes!

Author: Antje from USA
6 January 1999

John Hurt and Ryan O'Neill as a very odd couple. Kerwin (Hurt) and Benson (O 'Neill) both cops are determined to solve a case together. So far nothing unusual... The problem is the victim is a homosexual living in a gay community and Benson and Kerwin have to investigate undercover. So all they have to do is pretend to be a happy gay couple. For Kerwin not too bad. He is gay. But for Benson... He is as straight as straight gets...

Actual the story of the movie is not the deepest. What made the movie funny for me was the problems Benson had pretending to be a gay man and the development of their "relationship" And really it has some nice gags.

pink partners

Author: (bgjm_rotterdam@planet.nl) from Rotterdam, Netherlands
15 December 2005

I saw this movie years ago and thought it was a refreshing movie. First of all it got a gay man in it, who doesn't get aids for one time. Although the film uses quite some stereotypic situations used a lot for gays in movies, the film stays respectful towards gay people . Gay myself I could really enjoy this movie about two cops, one straight and one gay. The gay one ( Hurt)has an administration function at the police post and is not at all thrilled to be picked to work together on a gay murder case .Especially not with the other cop ( O'Neal),who on his turn is certainly not thrilled at all to be forced to work with a GAY man. They need to infiltrate into the gay-society and live as a gay couple.Towards the end of the film, both cops are getting to know each other better and gain respect from the other. Eventually they solve the murder case too....Although the film looks obviously dated ,it still is very enjoyable and funny .Even your children could watch it and learn something about prejustice too....

From a straight non-homophobic...funny as hell!

Author: Tom from United States
26 November 2011

Stereotypes, how does anyone get them. I've met men and women throughout my life and around the world whom were either shy closet types you'd never know existed, or standing up waving a flag obvious, and everything in between. Some have noted the movie is anti-gay, guess it depends on your attitude and who's watching it, just like anything else. I didn't think it was. To me the movie was a comedy about two reluctant cops balking at crossing orientation lines. And they find out they can work together just fine, co- exist, and the orientation lines blur a bit. I'd tell you my favorite scenes but that would ruin the movie. And except for a guy who's flamboyancy preceded him (funny as hell too), and the guy that used to come to the grocery store in paint, heels, and purse, most of the obvious stereotype stuff is kept indoors in my opinion.

This is a funny and entertaining movie that I went looking for again to add to my collection. If your not afraid of the flamboyant stereotypes and have an open mind you're going to love this movie.

One watches in a state of numb shock...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
25 January 2006

Here's a gay-themed action-comedy that even the gay community has thankfully forgotten, an appalling, tangled mess involving two male Los Angeles police detectives (one straight, one gay) posing as lovers in order to track down a killer of homosexuals. You have to commend Ryan O'Neal, he gives this one-joke affair his best shot; but poor John Hurt (the most sullen gay character ever!) sluggishly performs as if against his will. The plot is promising--it might've been a sharp satire of "Cruising" had the handling been a bit more nimble. But "Partners" has the patched-together feel of too many different hands, and the laziness of the writing and directing sinks the idea almost completely. Sniggering jokes, embarrassing and half-hearted sentiment, and a plea for the understanding of the gay minority turns this tale into one swishy stew. *1/2 from ****

Not Such A Bad Movie

Author: ladymidath (ladymidath@gmail.com) from Australia
26 May 2012

I remember seeing Partners a few years back and I enjoyed it immensely. It is a little creaky around the edges but that is due to the fact that attitudes towards gays have changed. The movie itself is sweet but tries a little too hard. I think they were trying to show the ugly side of homophobia but it didn't quite come off. Rather it feels like one continuous sniggering gay joke but I don't think that was what was intended at the time. Still it's a fun film if you don't take it too seriously. Ryan O'Neil and John Hurt are fine as are the supporting cast. I would have loved to have seen some of the other characters such as the landlord get a little more screen time. But for all it's flaws, it's not a a bad movie. Just a little dated.

Very dated gay-themed comedy

Author: mnpollio from United States
27 July 2011

Topical issues, farce and mystery become very strange and reluctant bedfellows in this comedic misfire, which finds macho straight cop Ryan O'Neal and mousy gay police clerk John Hurt sent undercover into the gay community to investigate a string of deaths.

Watching the film now, it functions as an interesting time capsule in how gay culture was viewed in the early 1980s. It is also interesting to note that the film is a thinly disguised comedic take on the then-controversial Al Pacino film Cruising. Given that Cruising was not a hit and even now does not hold a particularly cherished place in the hearts of the most devoted Pacino fan, the logical question is why anyone felt that a lampoon of said film would be a good idea.

Deriders of the film and its stereotypes certainly have their point. The film is brimming over with caricatures of gay men - whether the flamboyantly effeminate or the leather crowd. The comedy is expected to arise from the discomfort experienced by O'Neal - who is depicted as a macho, misogynist homophobe - in being forced to interact with such people, especially living in such close proximity to partner Hurt. Yet for all of the foolish clichés, to say that there is not some dignity present here would be misleading. It pretty much goes without saying that O'Neal will be humanized by his partnership with Hurt and develop sympathy towards the gay community that he previously did not have. The story really has little surprises in regard to the evolution of the characters. It would also be misleading to imply that there are NO laughs. The film does contain a smattering of laughs - certainly not enough to make it a success, but enough to lift above failure status. There is also some sense of satisfaction in watching O'Neal's initially obnoxious chauvinist be put through the ringer. Yet even with that the film really could do with a healthy jolt of energy.

The mystery story is not well thought out and fairly irrelevant. The culprit - as well as those aiding in the plot - are not especially difficult to discern.

In the absence of a particularly interesting caper and only sporadic laughs, one can take some solace in the cast. O'Neal acquits himself well enough as the rugged straight guy suddenly at sea in a world he can barely fathom. He conveys his discomfort well without overdoing it. Plus there is the undeniable titillation factor of O'Neal - still physically in his prime - squeezed into foolish leather outfits and, in the film's most memorable moment, forced by circumstance to strip completely naked in front of a bossy woman and a gay guy. Hurt manages to craft a sympathetic and sometimes amusing character out of the scraps given him by the screenplay. However, since he is depicted as being closeted, not a member of the gay community and not a street cop, one must wonder why exactly the police superiors would have fastened in on him for such an assignment. Kenneth McMillan is amusing as the sardonic police chief.

While not as incredibly awful as some would have you believe, it really has nothing of worth to offer beyond its time capsule qualities. Watch if you must, but don't go in with hopes high.

touching and fun

Author: silken_wings from Europe
18 July 2003

I think "Partners" is an absolutely sweet movie, well balanced with a great John Hurt and the ending is really, really touching *tissues* ^_~ (and for the record, no I'm not a gay man, I'm a het gurl ^^)