IMDb > Love & Money (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Love & Money More at IMDbPro »

Quite mediocre...

Author: Mikael Stening from Helsinki, Finland
20 October 2001

but very entertaining. Byron Levin (Ray Sharkey) is a middle-class man who is working in a bank somewhere in Los Angeles. He is living together with his grandfather and a girl, who's just a friend according to Byron. Frederic Stockheinz (Klaus Kinski) is a businessman and owner of a multinational company, obviously a symbol of the bad capitalistic world. Mr. Stockheinz asks Byron to travel to Central America and talk to the president of Costa Salva (Costa Salva?), because he is afraid that Costa Salva is heading politically too far left, something that could cause a problem to his mining in the region. But wait, this is not all. Byron is also banging Mr. Stockheinzs' wife, a young and absolutely gorgeous woman (something that can be bought with money).

Mr. Stockheinz: "It's not 1949, nationalization belongs to history. In the future multinational companies will own the world."

Well... Probably true. But this movie isn't actually left-wing criticism against the rules (money) and idealists aren't always what they look like in the beginning. But I'm not convinced that all movies have a message and I'm not going to search for one here. When you try really hard, you'll probably find something deeper in it, maybe even something that never crossed the mind of the ones who made the film. I guess that is quite common in film-criticism.

To me the film is simply a black comedy, maybe a sign of perverted humour? Kinski is a lift to the film, and I admit that he was the reason why I went to see this film. I believe that "Love and Money" is something for Kinski-fans, not for any objective viewer.

Muddled

Author: JasparLamarCrabb from Boston, MA
20 February 2011

There are a lot of good ideas swimming around in this James Toback film, unfortunately very little comes together. Ray Sharkey is a banker, feeling lost in his dead end job. He is hired by creepy tycoon Klaus Kinski to "influence" his former college roommate (South American presidente Armand Assante) into allowing his country's rich silver ore to be mined out. Kinski's devious wife Ornella Muti literally seduces Sharkey into saying yes. Things do not work out...for anyone. Sharkey, a great actor who died too young, is dynamite and Muti is pretty seductive. Kinski is Kinski. Toback's ambitions do him in with this film. Instead of insight into love, money, loyalty and deception, we get a muddled expose of corruption. Legendary film director King Vidor plays Sharkey's sometimes senile, sometimes oddly wise grandfather.