"American Playhouse" The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters (TV Episode 1982) Poster

13 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Disney Channel Version
c_weitkamp1 July 2002
The Disney Channel broadcast this movie in the mid 80's. They added an introduction that features Jean Shepherd driving to South of the Border, a fireworks store in South Carolina, in a Rolls Royce. My father recorded the movie from the Disney Channel, so we are fortunate to be able to watch it every year. I haven't tried this, but you might want to contact the Disney Channel and see if they still have a copy. What a great film! Good luck.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Funny, very similar to 'A Christmas Story'
richard.fuller128 January 2002
Very funny program dealing with Matt Dillon as a teen in small town America. It is the fourth of July and what appears to be the town drunk staggers into town and sets off an enormous fire cracker that proceeds to chase a small band of children like in a Wile E. Coyote cartoon. Mother is on a chain list to receive wash rags through the mail. Dillon must endure a blind date to the movies and the high school band's pride and joy, the band leader who knows how to throw the baton, has his day as well. I only saw this once and that has been nearly twenty years ago now, when it aired on PBS. What a funny show this was. Would love to see it again.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Greatest Jean Shepherd Flick of All !!!
slawking12 December 2005
Yes, Jean Shepherd fans will easily recognize the familiar characters established warmly in the classic movie "A Christmas Story". Ralph and his brother Randy have survived grade school, living with Mom and "The Old Man" and hurdling the obstacles of 1930's Teenagerhood in Hohman Indiana.

This is the definitive Fourth of July movie, an encapsulation of several of Sheps fondest stories from his days on the radio. The movie climaxes with the "Ballad of Ludlow Kissel" sung and performed by Sheps late wife and co-writer, Leigh Brown. If you can find it on DVD, or VHS, it is worth the effort.

This is a gem that deserves to be reintroduced to the American Public. Thanks Shep for the stories, and Exclesior, You Fatheads!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another classic about mid-century America by the writer of A Christmas Story, Jean Shepard
sbs5cats30 January 2002
Another classic story about mid-century America by the writer of A Christmas Story, Jean Shepard. This time Ralphie is a teenager, played by a young Matt Dillon. The story is a tapestry of hillarious episodes woven as only Ralphie/Jean Shepard can tell them. James Broderick, Matthew's late father, plays the "old man" again. Ralphie has a wacky blind date with Flick and two unsuspecting girls. Watch out for Ludlow Kissel, the "extra board" switchman, and his passion for inventing new fireworks, and the classic Shepard running gag about the "Washrag Chain Letter". Last seen on PBS in the 1980s, if you can find a copy anywhere, it's a must see.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Family Fun from Shep
RNMorton19 December 2000
Good family fun from the late Jean Shepherd, better known as writer/narrator of "A Christmas Story". This story comes from the same book, "In God We Trust", and focuses on Jean as a midwestern teen (played by a young Matt Dillon). Best moments are the blind date and the 4th of July spectacular. Catch it when it's played, as it's rarely if ever shown on TV.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is one of the all-time, greatest short films ever made!
esther36894 July 2004
From start to finish Jean Shepherd's voice carries us through a marvelously nostalgic and hilarious remembrance of one small-town, American Fourth of July that lives in his memory. Matt Dillon plays the young Shepherd brilliantly and the momentum of the story gathers and builds to a completely marvelous ending which resonates in your mind for hours. This is the best kind of humor, rooted in reality but viewed with the skewed perspective of a true humanist who is totally aware of and who thoroughly enjoys the folly and foibles of human nature...in this case, the nature of American citizens out to enjoy themselves. James Broderick (Matthew's father) is truly wonderful as the father and is an actor I sorely miss. I wish he had had a longer career or that I had started watching him sooner. (Watch for the "face cloths" and the "lamp"...you'll have a real good time.) This one is a winner! It may be hard to find as it doesn't play on TV much, if at all.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really Should be Released ASAP
paulaapodaca5 April 2007
This is a gem, a real piece of Americana. It should be released as DVD in single film format and then it should also be released as at least a 2 or 3 movie set. The purely American character of each of the films is touching, and for those of us who lived in the United States in the immediate post-war years, it is specific to our experiences as we watched our parents try to adapt to that life. It has been 25 years since I have seen this movie---it has become a fond memory of mine and each time I see A Christmas Story, I am regretful that its companion stories have been left on the shelf. The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters needs to be offered to us now---our thirst for it is overwhelming.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very clever quasi-documentary about teenager's life in Indiana.
pvdandt6 November 2000
I have not seen this since I stumbled upon it almost 20 years ago at age 11. A very clever film highlighting major events in a few months of a teenager's life in Indiana (as i remember it). I think the self-narration and exaggerated dream/narration sequences were groundbreaking humor at the time, used now by everything from The Wonder Years to Ally McBeal. No clue where I could get a copy of this now. Perhaps PBS will show it again.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Christmas Story in July
billonfoot23 December 2003
It has been a long time since I've seen this. Follows much of the same format as "A Christmas Story".

Most memorable is the lag lamp scene. It is just like in "A Christmas Story". There is even a reference to it in the 1983 Christmas movie. As the father is admiring his major award, he says "It's like the fourth of July". If that isn't a reference back to this show, I'll eat my shoe.

I'm told this is not available for purchase which is really too bad.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Comic fireworks display.
st-shot25 December 2011
This follow-up to the achingly funny Phantom of the Open Hearth does not disappoint in the least with its subversively good natured look at the Fourth of July according to Jean Shephard. Shephard again narrates a story of growing up in his Midwestern Indiana home around the oppressive presence of fire eating, smoke belching steel mills with nostalgic comic resignation. As in the last film the story centers around an American rite of passage along with a variety of funny subplots involving the devious or otherwise machinations of a drunk and a drum major, a blind date of life changing proportion and an infinite amount of wash clothes.

Director Richard Bartlett follow much of the same style that infused Hearth with a combination of comic hyperbole and bittersweet existence all tempered by the teen glee of Jean Shephard's narration. James Broderick and Mary Bolton as the parents are back giving superbly understated performances while newcomer Matt Dillon shines as the narrator in his youth botching his blind date with cringing results.

A Christmas Story by Shephard was turned into a minor film by a Hollywood studio in 83 and has since attained an amazing cult status and justly so. But for my money 4th of July along with Hearth do Shephard and his story more justice because they are more subtle, less in a hurry to get the big laugh and have James Broderick.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this