IMDb > The Flight of Dragons (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Flight of Dragons

The Flight of Dragons More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

THIS is how to make an animated feature!

Author: Baroque
1 March 2001

When I saw this film at a local cinema, I was expecting a simple child's fare. What I got was a most profound experience.

A land ruled by magic is brought to a perilous crossroads, and an evil wizard (voiced magnificently by James Earl Jones) seeks to bring about war and chaos. The good wizard Carolinus (voiced by Harry Morgan) seeks help and finds a most unusual ally...a young fantasy game designer in 20th century North America.

The diologue is intelligent, the action is well-paced, the plot is believable, and the ending will touch your heart. Kids will be drawn by the storyline and the animation. Adults will enjoy the jokes about science and aeronautics of dragons' wings.

Strongly recommended for the fact that it shows the link between science and spirit. That and the fact that you don't normally hear Larry Storch, Henry Morgan, John Ritter and Victor Buono doing voices for animated films.

A Lasting Part of my childhood

Author: CrystalBlueSilver (popeme@clearlake.k12.ia.us) from Iowa, where we do have civilization...
5 April 2004

The Flight of Dragons. To this day, I still get excited when I hear that title. I remember when I was first introduced to this exceptional cinema work. I wasn't more than 7 or so. For the first time, my family had the pleasure of having cable. It was one of those ancient cable boxes (I'm 17 now, if that clues you in on anything), but it was cable. I was watching the Disney Channel, and my mother was taping The Flight of Dragons. I liked it, but as with many other obsessions of mine, I didn't grow to love this movie until years later. I don't know what it is about this movie that keeps me coming back, time and time again. Is it the storyline? A man, with "one foot in the realm of magic, the other in the realm of science". It must have enthralled me, in some way. Dragons, warriors, mythical battles? There's nothing to turn me off there.

The characters. The plot. I can't put a finger on what turns me on to this movie. However, I believe this is a timeless classic that I will most certainly be showing my kids one day. I hope they will get as much out of it as I did.

Awesome fantasy movie

Author: Mario Rodgers from San Antonio, TX
24 September 2000

I've seen quite only quite a few fantasy movies and only one involving a dragon. Not one of those movies have the magic that this animated movie has. This isn't just a simple hack and slash adventure that fantasy is too often stereotyped as. This is a deep, mature animated movie, and the characters are well developed. They speak and act naturally, and the knight has one of the better monologues I've ever seen in a movie. There is a deep philosophy hidden in this movie, too. Should Man stay with magic or move on to science? That is the dilemma facing the main character, a scientist who is fighting to save the realm of magic. And there is more than one scene that will touch your heart. This is an excellent animated movie that is mature enough for adults, yet kids of all ages can enjoy it. Rent it or buy it. Just watch it.

Exciting animated fantasy movie

Author: Balto-2 from US
2 January 1999

Flight of dragons is perhaps one of the most unique animated pictures produced. Kids will enjoy watching the dragons and creatures of fantasy while the adults will appreciate the deep story and philosophy portrayed in this film. If the story isn't enough for you to watch this, the animation will attract your eyes to the screen. This is a great animated fantasy good for just about everyone. Whether you're a player of role-playing games or just looking for a good film, this is it.

Absolutely Dragontastic!!!

Author: LovefilmsALOT from United Kingdom
12 January 2006

Not much for animation usually but this film changed all that. I first watched it when I was younger and until recently hadn't watched it for a while. But after seeing it again it gave me a hunger again and again. If you're into the mystical, fantasy escapism in films and if you love dragons and wizards then this is a definite must see. It has beautifully designed beasts (dragons, ogres, worms etc) not just in design but in naming and essence which is definitely worthy of the book by Peter Dickinson. I'm a complete dragon lover now and love nothing more than watching a film that drops you into a fantasy pool through narrative and colour. And if you're the kind of person who likes a good musical soundtrack to go with, then this is a definite yes. This should be seen by children and adults alike. It's definitely one of my favourites and after you've seen it I'm sure it'll be yours too!

A great fantasy...

Author: wwjd1983ad from Green Bay, WI
29 December 2003

This movie was great. I watched it over and over and over again as a kid, and it basically introduced me to fantasy. The voices are so talented, including the late John Ritter and James Earl Jones. And the story is so creative! A great movie for children and adults alike.

DVD Version?

Author: arickrol from Dedham, Ma
29 January 2006

I really enjoyed this film as a child. I had forgotten the name for many years, which was unfortunate. Recently, my mother recalled the title in order to show this film to her class. She had requested it from the library and was surprised that it doesn't exist in a DVD format.

I happened to find it laying about and watched it again. All the childhood memories poured back. It isn't often an adult will sit through a children's' film and enjoy what they see but I did.

I still searched online for a DVD format so I could make a purchase but no dice. I wish it would be put on DVD.

Not a bad movie at all!

Author: xoid24 from United States
21 February 2003

An animated science-fiction movie that the whole family can probably enjoy. Wizards, dragons, and ogres are just a few of the many creatures you can find in this movie. I first watched this when I was a little kid, and I still enjoy digging it out from time to time and watching it again (some parts used to scare me bad!). Reminds me a lot of the Lord of the Rings. If you liked those books/movies, you'll probably like this too.

Awesome dragon tail (er, tale)

Author: filmbuff-36 from Houston, TX
9 July 1999

Good story and characters team up with good animation to bring an excellent tale of a group of heroes joining forces to fight off an evil sorcerer in the world of magic. John Ritter excels as the voice of Peter Dickenson, the modern day scientist who is transformed into a dragon and forced to go along on the journey. Great action all around, and likeable characters.

Terrific fantasy, sad, action-packed and clever!

Author: The Yeti from Mt Everest
3 March 2002

Like a lot of people, I first saw this movie when I was about 5 and couldn't stop watching it. It was smashing! I recently found another copy after 12 years and found it hadn't lost its touch. The animation is great and the voices are well chosen. James Earl Jones and John Ritter are superb! The movie is about 4 wizards losing their magic powers and suggest they build a new magical realm. The evil wizard Ommadon (JEJ) doesn't like the idea and threatens to destroy mankind. The green wizard Carolinus (voiced by 'M.a.s.h' Harry Morgan) inspires a quest to kill Ommadon and steal his powerful red crown. Soon enough he manages to round up Peter Dickenson (The guy who wrote the book) from the 20th century. A knight named Sir Orin Neville Smythe, Arak the wolf, Danielle of the woodlands, Smrgol the old dragon, Giles the Elf and soon its Lord of the Rings all over again. This has tons to offer. The science and philosophical side to the story is really clever and makes perfect sense. The action and story is fantastic with the quest involving Sand Mirks (Horrid little creatures who attack by the million!) Giant Worms, More dragons and the ultimate Ogre of Gormley Keep. He used to scare me to death. The nice kind of direction where you can only see his shadow and his face for a second until someone screams. Its frightening! I also found that Smrgol dying made me cry. Still, Smrgol and the Ogres castle-top fight scene is brill! Even if you aren't a fan of this stuff you will enjoy. I'd love to see you find a copy of this too. Well, 10 out of 10 anyway. I hear the call of my comrades. Ha ha ha!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]