This is an animated movie based on the book by Peter Dickinson. In this movie the realm of magic is being threatened by the realm of logic, so Carolinus, the green wizard decides to shield it for all time. Ommedon, the evil red wizard, stands in his way. Carolinus then calls for a quest that is to be led by a man named Peter Dickinson, who is the first man of both the realms of science and magic. It is Peter's job to defeat Ommedon. Written by
The ultimate war between magic and science is about to begin.
See more »
Did You Know?
The theories Peter recites are:
- "A body in motion tends to stay in motion." - Newton's First Law of Motion
- "Protons have 1832 times the mass of electrons." - 30 years later, more precise measurements say 1836
- "All light is bent or refracted as it goes from one medium to another, save in a direction perpendicular to the interface between the two mediums."
- "...new species may result from the selective action of external conditions upon the variations from their specific type which individuals present...." - T. H. Huxley, to Darwin on Origin of Species
- "Gravity varies as to the inverse square of the distance."
- "The velocity of light is equal to the wavelength times the frequency of vibration." - This is actually true of anything that propagates as a wave as it's the definition of the phase velocity of the wave.
- "The geometrical properties of the space-time continuum are determined by the masses present in space and time."
Also Peter's naming of the different sciences was done in alphabetical order: algebra, anatomy, astronomy, biology, chemistry, geology, geometry, mathematics, meteorology, mineralogy, oceanography, paleontology, physics, psychology, sociology, trigonometry and zoology. See more
Giles of the Treetops
[in the soup pot
I'm part boiled to a fethiwell, but i'd sooner be cooked than crushed by that thing!
Referenced in The Dragon Prince
The Flight of Dragons
Written by Jules Bass
and Maury Laws
Performed by Don McLean See more