IMDb > Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Fast Times at Ridgemont High More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Teen cult film classic: Learn it, know it, watch it

Author: dckennedy
20 April 2006

This film has been called one of the better of a disreputable genre, which is exactly right. No one (at least no healthy male :) should miss Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh's famous nude scenes, or Sean Penn's unforgettable performance as stoner Spicoli, with his classic one-line summary of Thomas Jefferson. Cameron Crowe made up the characters based on real teens from his year as an undercover high school senior. His script shows a rare ear for teen dialog and absurd situations. The film launched Sean Penn's long (some would say too long) and Phoebe Cates' short (some would say too short) careers.

Fast Times is an early classic of the film genre best represented by the John Hughes flicks of the late 80s (Molly Ringwald, Ferris Bueller). Unlike the gross-out Porky's or later slick ripoffs like Scream and American Pie, this movie is both funny and bittersweet. The whole teen-twenties category captured the late Boomers/Gen-X-er's struggling into adulthood without adult guidance, which is the subtext of Crowe's "fast times" - kids growing up too fast. Neither Crowe nor director Amy Heckerling offer explicit morals here, but the standard question of postwar American life - where *are* your parents? - floats in the background. As in Almost Famous, Crowe delivers devastating judgments without being the least preachy. Fast Times was released in 1982, at just the moment when American culture was leaving behind the decadent 70s and the Boomers were starting to have their own kids. Definitely a funny-sad snapshot of a bygone time.

80's Timeless Time Capsule

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
12 April 2005

Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold and Phoebe Cates star in one of the great 80's coming of age comedies. Fast Times at Ridgemont High is Clueless meets Valley Girl. Timeless throughout the generations, this is still a popular movie with the youth market. The typical storyline of drugs, music, sex, friendship, school work and part time jobs is real and emotional for this "high school" cast. Most teen movies fail to capture the truth of growing up under the giant umbrella of peer pressure. Unlike most of the pop-culture junk that was produced in the 1990's, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is real. From the amazing 80's soundtrack to the wardrobe that the cast dresses in, this movie is like a time capsule. People of this generation can still relate to what it was like growing up in the early 80's in small town / California esq. society. Last but not least, Phoebe Cates will live for a thousand years with her innocent, yet provocative swimming pool / dream sequence. What teenage boy can't help but love this scene!

A shame I was 10 years too late.

Author: down2cabo2000 from USA
14 April 2004

My older sister rented this for us to watch one night and I had heard about it, but was not too excited to see it. I laughed my pony-tail off and watched it again as soon as it was over. I wish to God that I was around when this film was popular, I can only imagine the effect that it had on young viewers starting their high school lives with sex, drugs and rock and roll. Great that it was based off of Cameron Crowe's book, which Fast Times, obviously was a BIG push for him. The characters were all likable and I could still relate to so many of the things that happened on screen, hit home - even almost twenty years after the fact, (and three for me). This will go down as one of my all time favorites and I look forward to having children of my own so I can share this one day with them. Heck, the day before they START high school.

Excellent movie

Author: hattiehathat from Texas, USA
13 February 2004

I grew up in the 80's and I feel that this movie is just a Classic. I recently purchased it on DVD and have been extremely satisfied with it. The cast is great, with so many big names. The casting director did an excellent job. It's not unusual for me and my significant other to go to bed at night with the DVD on and fall asleep watching it, then wake up in the middle of the night to find myself playing it again. My DVD has probably had more plays than a rental one. It just puts me back into the 80's with the music and environment and so on. If you haven't seen this movie it's a MUST.

awesome!!

Author: luckylibrastar03 from Kentucky
7 February 2004

I watched this movie a year ago, and I love it. It is so great. Not only is it funny, it tells the teen life the way it is and I could relate with most of the characters, and it has a great soundtrack. I recommend this movie to all teenagers who haven't seen it because, Fast Times At Ridgemont High still rocks even though its over 20 years old. 5/5 POINTS FOR THIS MOVIE.. "You d*ck!"-Jeff Spicoli lol..

Awesome, totally awesome!

Author: justinsane527 from St. Louis
19 December 2003

Simply the greatest teen Movie ever made. Cameron Crowe did the research by going under cover in a high school and obviously got the real scoop on what high school life was all about in the mid eighties. I know cause I lived it. The actors were great choices as is evidenced by looking at the careers that followed for many of them.

Whoah, wont that give me brain damage?

Author: Shippmeister from Australia
27 September 2002

Totally awesome movie with a totally awesome cast, putting this entire cast together again today would not be possible, there arent enough $$$ around, so it is pure luck that most of the cast had not yet reached their "commanding figure" stage of their career. I wrote the review for this a Fast Rewind so I'm not gonna write it again, I am going to simply say that it is well worth your $$$ for the DVD or VHS if you can get it (out of print as of 31st March 2002). Many funny moments which occasionally allude to a deep plot about what its really like out there, as I just graduated year 12, I can vouch for this movies validity, it all really does go on, except we dont look as good when we do it and we cant command sex the way these people can, and we tend to be prosecuted for having a bootfull or weed and so on and so forth. VERDICT= you cant make a time machine, make yourself younger and go back to the early 80's (although if we did I doubt it would be as we remember it or as it appears in these vids) but you can watch this video in a dimly lit white room on your big screen TV wearing a tight Rusty shirt with tight black jeans and a Marlboro in the mouth and feel like you are at the theatre all those years ago. Watch this and Secret Admirer (also highly recommended by me) one after the other and you'll see it works. 11.5/10 stars

Number #2 in my list of teen movies

Author: DunnDeeDaGreat from Woodbridge, VA
14 January 2002

You can't call yourself a teenager if you haven't see Fast Times at Ridgemont High . The film is required viewing for teens of the eighties, nineties, seventies or any time period. Cameron Crowe made a film that teens can relate that still stands the test of time. I would love to go to Ridgemont and hang out with Spocolit, Brad Hamltion & Mike Damone. I would also love to get Linda Barret and Stacy Hamltion in the sack. For their nude scenes the film gets a 10.

COOL!!!!

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
12 March 2001

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) tells about a bunch of high schoolers who are having the best times of their lives.This is a movie with lots of today's stars.Sean Penn plays a surfer dude called Jeff Spicoli who gives headache to his teacher Mr Hand who Ray Walston performs.Sadly Mr Walston passed away last January at the age of 86.Jennifer Jason Leigh is Stacy Hamilton and Phoebe Cates plays her friend Linda Barrett.They're both hot chicks.Mark Ratner (Brian Backer) is a little shy and he's interested in Stacy.He gets some help from his buddy Mike Damone (Robert Romanus).Judge Reinhold plays Stacy's brother Brad Hamilton who tries to make it in life.Forest Whitaker plays Charles Jefferson.Eric Stolz, Anthony Edwards and Nicolas Coppola who was later known as Nicolas Cage can be seen in this movie.Lots of these people became big stars after this movie.Fast Times at Ridgemont High is totally awesome teen comedy from Amy Heckerling.This movie doesn't have a real plot.It just shows these teens hanging out.But it kept me interested through the movie.Fast Times is one of the coolest movies of the 80's.I was born in 1981 so I didn't get to be a teen ager in that decade.In this movie the 80's seems like a cool decade to be a teen at.My school time wasn't that cool.Compared to this movie it sucked.This was made long before American Pie and many other teen movies of the 90's.They're good movies but this is a classic.There are lots of hilarious scenes in this movie.I recommend it for everybody.There ain't no dull moment at Ridgemont High.

This is a great movie

Author: Chris(Runner) from NJ, USA
31 July 2000

This is a great high school movie. I haven't seen a lot of the other ones, like "Sixteen Candles" or "The Breakfast Club," but I have seen this one, and it is doesn't look like it could be matched. It shows just about every class of people in high school in each person. There are the druggies who don't care (Spicoli[Sean Penn]), and the people who are just trying to look for a break in life (B. Hamilton[Judge Reinhold]). There are also some others that are depicted, like all the football superstars (Jefferson[Forrest Whitaker]). Then, it's cool, if you think about it, there is like a male duo that has a female counterpart. You probably don't understand what I'm saying. I'm talking about Mike Damone and Mark Ratner (Robert Romanus and Brian Backer). Mark is looking for a date and has to turn to Mike for help. Mike tries to act cool like he's the expert. Then you have Stacy and Linda in the same position (Jennifer Jason Leigh and Phoebe Cates). Stacy has to go to Linda for help. It's just cool how they set it up. Anyway, This movie depicts all classes of high school life, and many aspects of it as well. I have seen a situation much like the one where spicoli walks in late and says the line was too long at the vending machine. "I just couldn't make it on time." This is movie, unlike a lot of the other strictly-for-laughs comedies, that you would want to sit down with a friend, eat doritos, and enjoy. I just wanted to say that this is a great high school movie. So, if you're in high school and haven't seen it, see it.