IMDb > Endangered Species (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Endangered Species

Endangered Species More at IMDbPro »

excellent and unorthodox film about conspiracy theory-type stuff

Author: tbyrne4 from United States
16 February 2011

this is a fascinating film. I remember it vividly as my father took me to see it when I was about 12. Come to think of it, my parents took me to see some really odd films when I was growing up in the early 80s. Before I was even thirteen my parents took me to see such films as "Heavy Metal", "Eating Raoul", and "Blow Out". What the hell were they thinking? lol.

Anyways, this film is about cattle mutilation and delves into the world of conspiracy theories involving black helicopters, satanic underground networks, and all that other stuff people were starting to get worked up about in the early 80s.

Robert Urich plays an investigator from the big city who comes to the rural town where the mutilations are happening. With him is his delinquent teenage daughter (who is quite good. whatever happened to that young actress??). Urich also becomes romantically entangled with the local female sheriff played by JoBeth Williams.

I have to give special mention to a couple of things. This film (in my opinion) is easily the best that Alan Rudolph has ever done. He's always been somewhat of a cult director but I never found his films very impressive. But "Endangered Species" is just superb. If you're going to create a film about conspiracy theories, this is the way to do it, folks. By NOT spelling everything out for the audience. But suggesting a great deal. By NOT treating the audience as though they are idiots. The cinematography is also very impressive, as is the droning, disturbing score. A definite winner! I used to have a copy of this on VHS and I gave it away a few years back. I'm still kicking myself for doing that!

Thrilling Sci-Fi. Animal, mineral or alien?

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
27 March 2001

Robert Urich is a retired cop from New York City on vacation with his daughter. While traveling on vacation, a flat tire enables him to get involved investigating a series of mysterious cattle mutilations. JoBeth Williams is the local sheriff having trouble convincing authorities of her ideas about the cause of the killings. Gailard Sartain plays an anxious mayor. Visuals are not so graphic, but the suspense keeps you interested. Providing fine support are: Hoyt Axton, Peter Coyote and Harry Carey, Jr.

The late night TV elusive species

Author: jalstroemeria from Albany, CA
1 April 2004

I recall seeing Endangered Species on a late night movie channel when I was very young. Actually, it seemed to come on late night movie channels quite frequently from about 1985-1987. I remembered the film being mysterious, dark, and a little bit unsettling. I remembered strange parts of the film, especially the scene where germ warfare is put on a man's toothbrush, and the gruesome effects afterwards. Just recently I was remembering this film and could not recall the title. I asked numerous friends and co-workers and they offered no help. So, I spent about 2 hours, just for the sake of completion, trying to recall the name of this movie! I really had nothing to go on, because I could not remember any of the actors who were in it. Finally, thanks to the IMDB, I was able to do a complex search and eventually found the title to this elusive film. Of course I had to see it again. Trying to find this film to rent or buy was nearly impossible. I DID find a local video store who had an ancient copy. I rented it and was a little less than impressed. Still, Endangered Species seemed to retain its mysterious and disturbing effect on me. I think I over-hyped my expectations due to all the research I conducted. Anyway, The acting is sub-par, and the film quality is pretty bad. Robert Urich plays up his part pretty well, but comes off as a male chauvinist pig. Hey, this is the early 80's, they didn't give a S#*! about being "PC" then. Peter Coyote (from E.T. fame) is also in this movie. His plays a sneaky, sinister para-military type character. Endangered Species definitely conjures up some X-Files type conspiracy theories. The pacing is good, and it really does have a suspense ridden feel throughout. Supposedly Endangered Species is loosely based on real events. I kind of feel that I have wasted my time researching and re-watching this film. But like I said earlier, I just wanted to remember the title! I didn't think I would go so far as watching it again. Ah, well. At least now I can put it out of my head.

80's paranoia

Author: univibe from Canada
6 November 2006

It's almost impossible to find this movie nowadays. Too bad. Not because it's good but because it's one rare occurrence where you get a different explanation for the mysterious events than the standard " alien from outer space did it". For 1982, it's not bad. We are treated to cool silent helicopters, biological warfare and a Satanic cover-up in the making. Sure, all the soap opera with the NY cop in ranch country is quite lame but still, there is something fascinating here for the conspiracy buff. The all electronic score is weird too. The script relies on these typically 80's beliefs and scares: Abandoned Nike missile bases, cattle mutilations, secrets government (or else) paramilitary teams (looking south American) doing god knows what and for what purpose? Like some UFO buff once remarked: Why don't they make a deal with some slaugtherhouse to get the animals. In my opinion it is worth a look and is one good candidate for a modern remake. Be warned, the ending is a major disappointment.

fair conspiracy theory movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
17 February 2015

Ruben Castle (Robert Urich) is a rough alcoholic ex-NYC cop who quited under some suspicions. His delinquent daughter Mackenzie is released to him as they travel to Colorado. Mackenzie gets arrested for running into Harriet Purdue (JoBeth Williams). Harriet is the new sheriff in the small Colorado town. She's investigating suspicious cattle mutilation deaths. Ruben's friend Joe Hiatt (Paul Dooley) runs the local paper and has a conspiracy theory about the cattle. Cattle rancher Ben Morgan (Hoyt Axton) is the local big wig. There is a secret base out in an abandoned nuclear silo.

It take awhile before the movie settles down to its subject matter. Purdue should be much more of the lead character instead of Castle. That way the movie is solidly about the cattle mutilations. Instead it's too much about Castle's drinking and his failing father daughter relationship. The movie wants to hint at UFOs. The investigation feels like it's put on the backburner too much early on. The investigation has good spooky vibes at times and works well especially with the electronic music. The sound effects works well in opposition to the open space hinterland. The major drawback for me is that it never really explains everything to my satisfaction. It explains just enough for me to give it a pass.

Downright scary

Author: midge56 from Texas
16 November 2010

This movie is downright scary and well made. However, the main character could use some work, especially with the interaction between him and the female sheriff. Although the movie initially got off to a slow start and seemed like just another cattle mutilation story... it really took off and surprised you.

Once the real source of the mutilations is revealed, this movie really gets quite frightening. This is a quality movie which will give you nightmares. I would have given it a 10 if Urich's role had been written a little better and the beginning of the movie had gotten off to a better start.

But this isn't just any cattle mutilation movie... this is the gov't doing really frightening germ war experiments and killing people in the most gruesome ways. There's enough validity in the gov'ts role in this movie to compare with some real life issues ongoing in that region when this movie was made. They were actually doing germ warfare and chemical testing in that area and killing off livestock... so that was probably the catalyst to making this movie... which is why I said it would frighten you if you had sense about some of the terrible things they do without oversight.

Some of the effects in the latter part of the movie are downright graphic. The music and sound effects add so much scariness to the movie, it just rattles you to the bone. The background music and sound effects certainly earned a 10. That was the main key in the scary effects.

The care which went into choosing the gov't sites & vehicles was well thought out. It looked quite real and believable. Superb direction. Quality production. Excellent story. The latter third of the movie was fantastic. All fresh storyline. Once you got past the first third of the movie and slow beginning, it really took off and was great right to the end.

I've only had a couple other movies which were scary to me. This was one. The gov'ts biowarfare role in this movie will give you nightmares... even compared to current day films, this movie will stand up with the best of them.

Good direction. Excellent special effects. Believable props for the gov't sites and black helicopters. Someone really put some quality effort into this movie.

I found this movie while looking for "The Return" another cattle mutilation movie with Raymond Burr which was a totally different premise. It will surprise you and frighten you. It is available on DVD on Amazon.

I would not recommend this movie to children under 14 or anyone who scares easily. The cattle mutilations and character deaths are quite graphic. The cattle appeared to have been real and not props for the most part. I think some props were mixed in with the real cattle carcasses.

6 out of 10

Author: Bleeding-Skull from Review Land
15 October 2007

About a retired New York cop on Vacation in America's West who is drawn into a female sheriff's investigation of a mysterious series of cattle killings. Good movie, but does need some more acting. But, the character "Ruben Castle" was not bad and interesting. Visuals are so graphic, but the suspense keeps you interested. It's almost impossible to find this movie nowadays. Good beginning and middle but ending could have been better. I remembered the film being mysterious, dark, and a little bit unsettling. I liked the movie just because of this event in my life. I especially liked the part of the effects of the toothbrush. They should make an Endangered Species sequel! Now, that would take some time to relax.

Rated R for Graphic Violence, Nudity, Sexual Situations and Profanity.

Well-Made Sci-Fi Film

Author: Bob Forapples
14 September 2003

Robert Urich and Jobeth Williams star in this fairly competant issue. Urich plays a single dad who while on vacation with his daughter starts to investigate a series of cattle mutilations. Good beginning and middle but ending could have been better.

good movie

Author: (dmanddm@hotmail.com) from USA
12 December 2006

They filmed the part of the missile silos in Longmont. Colo and I got to go there and watch them film the segment where the father (Urich( and his daughter ran down this hallway. It took them all day to do it and in the movie the segment only took a few seconds.

I was pretty disappointed but I did get to shake hands with Jobeth Williams and Robert Urich and he gave me an Oreo cookie for a snack. Of course I kept it. ha ha

I liked the movie just because of this event in my life. I especially liked the part of the effects of the toothbrush. I would like to know where to get a copy of this movie.

TV-movie feel-spoilers ahead

Author: DrSatan from The Land of Mortis
23 December 2002

This film has a typical early-80's "crisis" TV-movie feel-the sort of TV-movie that ordinarily would deal with toxic waste dumping and a conspiracy to cover it up. Here its cattle mutilations and secret para-military biological weapons programs. Yep, that's right, a splinter group of right wing mercenaries is developing biological weapons and testing them on cows (only slight reasons are given as to why they don't just buy cows and use them on their own land). Robert Urich is the big city cop with domestic problems and a "cute" alcohol habit whom is the only one who can solve these mutilations-don't expect Jo-Beth Williams relatively competent country cop to pull it off. Its pretty by the numbers, and you can guess 90% of the plot from the opening on screen blurb about the Congress mandated end of biological and chemical weapons tests in 1969. The film has a good supporting cast-Hoyt Axton, Harrey Carrey Jr., Paul Dooley, and hey, even the leads do a good job of acting-too bad this is just a glorified tv-movie. Look for the evil trucks that have a soundtrack cue that sounds like it was stolen from Jon Carpenter.