IMDb > Early Frost (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Early Frost More at IMDbPro »

This is a producer's anecdote in response to viewer's comment

Author: hannay-1 from Australia
4 May 2005

It was actually my XJ6 Jaguar that was blown up in Early Frost (1982), not Terry's. But yes, Terry was a local Blacktown boy. The reason The late Guy Doleman was cast was because twenty years earlier he had been my mentor when I was a young actor. I didn't do him any favours unfortunately. Terry was not the original director, so as writer was not responsible for what went wrong. The original director was removed, and Geoff Brown (co-producer) and I did what we could to fix the picture. It is to this day the only Australian film to have no director's credit See David Stratton's book The Great Avacado Plantation for more detail.

David Hannay, Producer - Early Frost.

The rare lost film made and set in Blacktown, Australia?

Author: (aquarian_boy_102@hotmail.com) from Sydney, Australia
10 January 2003

I had almost forgotten that this film existed until I saw it pop up as the midday movie on TV in 1998. The storyline and stars seemed familar. I remember when this film was being made in Blacktown and there was an article in the local newspaper about this production at the time. It was my understanding that Terry O'Connor was a local who wrote and directed this low budget film.( I suspect that David Hannay salvaged and edited the film as curiously there doesn't appear to be a director's credit on the film.) It was Terry O'Connor's own Jaguar Car which was blown up in East Blacktown Hotel car park. I was surprised to see veteran actor Guy Doleman from the "Ipcress File" in the film and wondered how he came to be cast. David Franklin played a very campy killer, or was he? I was a bit confused as to whether young Joey was involved in the murders and why the spear gun? Was it me or was there a hint of incest between mother and son at the party. the film also starred Jon "Sonny" Blake who was tragically injured in a real life car accident and left permanently brain damaged. Joanne Samuels who played the girlfriend also played Mad Max's wife in the movie "Mad Max". Whatever happened to the kid who played Joey or Terry O'Connor?

Although the acting is terrible, my children and I got a kick out of watching this thriller set in and around Blacktown. Most of the actors were from prominent 1970's soap opera's such as the "Restless Years" and "The Young Doctors".

What the... ??? *spoilers*

Author: (ep.com@t-online.de) from Germany
14 September 2002

Thankfully, this was David Hannay's one and only try at directing a movie and it's pretty obvious why he never directed a second one (though he seems to be responsible for producing every awful Australian horror movie that ever graced the screen...). This one pretty much spells "S-U-C-K" from start to finish and has nothing, really NOTHING going for it, except maybe a fairly cool scene involving a severed head towards the end... oh, and what an ending it is! Is there anybody out there who understood it? I mean, I know who the killer is (I think I know it...), but I really didn't get how he was related to the goings on... and what's up with that spear gun ??? Please, if you've seen this mess and it made sense to you, MAIL ME !!! Boy, this movie makes me feel so stupid... :(