IMDb > E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 48:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

~A Child's Fantasy, an Adult's Memory~

Author: Grey Gardens from United States
8 August 2010

Today when I was at my house alone, looking through my DVDs, trying to figure out which movie I should see for entertainment. I saw E.T and I hadn't seen it for nearly 3-4 years ago. I seen the film ever since I was 4 years old, so I wondering if I would still enjoy it when I'm an adult. As I was watching the film, I had this rush of nostalgia running through me, I was remembering the times when I was a kid with my family. The film didn't at all feel to childish to me, I was actually having a lot of fun, like I used to when I was a kid. This film has not aged at all since 30 years ago. This film is a truly timeless film, and will always be remembered. This is one of the best Steven Spielberg films. (And that is no easy task) A Timeless Classic 10/10

Still Blows Me Away to this Day

Author: squeezebox from United States
7 May 2004

E.T. is one of my all time favorite movies. This movie blew me out of my seat as a kid, and still kills me every time I watch it. Only four or five movies have made me cry, much less sob uncontrollably. When I returned from seeing E.T. for the first time, I couldn't talk for the rest of the day. I laid in my bed and cried for about five hours.

The movie still makes tears well up in my eyes and gives me a lump in my throat. I still find it profoundly moving. It's heart-breakingly sad, yet phenomenally uplifting at the same time. I had no idea a movie could be so powerful when I saw this in the movies for the first time when I was eleven.

What I think makes E.T. so powerful for me now is the heart-wrenching way it has of making me long to be a kid again. I refuse to ever completely grow up, and my memories are my own, but man does this movie make me wish I was eleven again, when riding my bike was a pleasure, Matchbox cars were the greatest thing in the world, Halloween was a night of mystery and creepy fun I looked forward to all year, going to the movies was an adventure, and looking up at the stars could be a mind-blowing experience.

E.T. keeps those feeling alive for me. So do a lot of other things, but E.T. is the champ. As much as my cynical adult side may want to slap Steven Spielberg around sometimes, I would happily give him a hug for his timeless gift to the world, E.T. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL.

Sheer Brilliance

Author: jenmac_85 from Glasgow, Scotland
10 January 2004

The first time I saw E.T was at the age of 12 and I cried. Really cried. Six years later, I still cry at it. The ability of this film to pull emotions out of you is unlike most films we see today.

As many of the users have said, this is a film made for children and it achieves this brilliantly.

I do feel as well that it targets adults, returnign them to their innocence. The time of our lives when mothing was impossible and everything had goodness in it. In modern times it is all too often seen that children are desperate to become adults and lose their innocence far too quickly. This story in which S.S developed helps adults to return to that time.

I would give this film 11/10. Anyone who feels that it is not heart warming and emotional, I think have been watching a totally different film!!!!!

One of the best films ever made and experienced

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
14 May 2002

Everyone gets lost in nostalgia from time to time. Many of us vividly recall the days when the most important thing you had to do that afternoon was find a place to stay cool or to make sure that all of your friends were willing to go on whatever adventure you wanted to embark on. For me, those days were the years between 1980 and 1987. At this time I was between the ages of 8 and 15. This was a time when some of the greatest movies were ever made for a teenaged boy. The genesis of film was started in my life with films like First Blood, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, The Goonies, Back To The Future and of course E.T.

Being that movies were such an intricate part of my young life and these experiences shaped me into the man that I am today, it is easy to recall with reverence the entire experience that went with those films. E.T. is a rare film however, because it is an experience that just gets better with age.

There was a theater in Windsor Ontario, where I spent my youth called the Vanity, located on Oullette Street, right near Wyandotte. This one theater was the place to be when the blockbsuters arrived. It was a one celled theater that managed to flourish in a time which pre-dated multi plexes with arcades and Pizza Hut's.

When the sequel to Star Wars arrived, the Vanity proudly played it. Same with Raiders and it's sequels and of course E.T. E.T. was a film that me and my best friend Gary had to see because it was Spielberg. Even though we were ten years old, we knew that Spielberg had given us great films like Jaws, Close Encounters and Raiders of the Lost Ark. I am not sure if it is normal at the age of ten but we rushed out to see E.T. because we knew who directed it. What a phenom this tiny film turned out to be and what a life changing experience the whole film was.

When you are ten and you see a movie with your best friend who watches the A-Team and Conan the Barbarian with you, you expect a certain reaction from him. After all, this same friend enjoys playing football at lunch and enjoys inflicting pain in a barbaric pasttime called the "The Tripping Game", therefore you don't expect a film to affect you and your macho friend the way E.T. did. When you are ten, you go to the movies to see things like lightsabre duels and heroes with bullwhips being lowered into the Well of the Souls and maybe the occasional breast shot. What you don't expect is a film to manipulate your emotional realm thh way E.T. did and still does. Most of my friends who saw E.T. bawled their eyes out at the age of ten. I, for some unexplainable reason did not. I loved the film but it wouldn't be for another six years that I cried in my first film. That was She's Having A Baby when Kate Bush sang Woman's Work and made me sob uncontrollably as I watched Kevin Bacon lose his unborn child. Some things can't be explained.

E.T. became one of my favourite films and I saw it again on its re-release in 1985, bought the poster, purchased the movie on VHS and told everyone who would listen that E.T. got robbed at the 82 Oscars when it lost every major category to (snicker snicker) Gandhi. There have been some Oscar travesties but this ( along with Annie Hall defeating Star Wars and Cuckoo's Nest beating Jaws ) had to be up there as one of the most ridiculous snubs ever. I was peeved. What a joke. But all of the cranky and derelict academy members seethed with contempt and jealousy because they couldn't accept the fact that a man this young could really be this much of a genius. In fact he made the rest of the folks in Hollywood look young compared to himself.

As the years passed I became a film lover, a movie buff and I tried to see any and every film out there. And I did. It's not that E.T. became an after-thought, it's just that it became one of those films that just sat it my collection and wasn't utilized often enough. When I made my revised top 25 list, E.T. would always hover around number 20. That is not an indictment of the quality of E.T., it's just that my tastes became more garnered to horror films and the sheer brilliance of E.T. was stored in the catacombs of my mind. That all changed on March 24th, 2002. This is ironic because my wife and I had the whole day planned. We were going to see E.T. at the theater and then come home and watch the 24 hour Oscar-a-thon. And in a year when an inferior film like A Beautiful Mind takes top honours from the much more ambitious and deserving Lord of the Rings, it reminded me of 20 years ago. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Seeing E.T. after a 17 year hiatus was nothing short of uplifting. My excitement was gushing and when John Williams' ever recognizable score reverberated over the sound system, I was hooked and it felt like I was ten all over again. I also noticed that the audience was an eclectic mix of young kids, 30 somethings like myself and the elderly. All of us were there because we either wanted to experience it for the first time or because we wanted to feel what it was like that first time we saw it 20 years ago.

I think I liked E.T. when I was ten but this time around I developed a deep level of respect for it. E.T. is simply one of the finest films ever made and if you have not seen the film in the theater then you have no idea what you are missing. Everything about this film is perfect, and there really aren't many films around I can say that about. Even some of my personal favourites have moments of weakness but not E.T. There has never really been another movie that has offered the experience that E.T. does. And when I said that I didn't shed a tear while watching E.T., that has all changed. I think there were about five moments in E.T. that had me holding back the tears. You can analyze the film, psychologically deconstruct it and tell me that the reason the film works so well is because of the feeling of loneliness and comradery and I will agree with you. But I don't really care about that. What it comes down to is that E.T. is a film that will touch you in a way that no other film before could do and no other film after it can. 1982 was a different time for film and it was a different time as a civilization. And E.T. encompassed all of that. If I had to make my revised top 25 list, E.T. would be number 2, right behind Jaws and ahead of JFK, Halloween, American Beauty and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

If you have not seen E.T. at the theaters since 1985, please I urge you, go see it again. It is a film experience that is indefeasible. It is also a film that should be looked upon as a paradigm for which all movies should try to emulate. There is a reason that films like E.T. and Star Wars and Raiders make the money they do. And there is also a reason they stay firmly planted in our memories. That is because they mean something and they stand for something. Those are the qualities in film that transcend time and they transcend the generations.

10 out of 10----What more can be said?

Very touching movie about a special friendship for all ages that will warm your heart and make you cry

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
21 December 2005

E.T. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL, in my opinion, is a very touching movie about a special friendship for all ages that will warm your heart and make you cry. I really loved the magic that E.T. performed. If I could have, I would have helped him get to safety myself. The only problem is how I would get him to safety, since I can't drive. The score was good, the costumes were perfectly designed, everyone was cast perfectly, and the direction was flawless. In conclusion, I highly recommend this very touching movie about a special friendship for all ages to anyone who hasn't seen it. You're in for a real treat and a good time, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with someone close to you, and watch it. I guarantee you you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

I love this film and believe that it is as timeless as it gets.

Author: TylerVanP from United States
12 December 2005

This is Spielberg at his best. That is all I can say about E.T. IT's gripping, intelligent story mixed with its incredible symbolism makes it one of the best films ever made. E.T. is a story about friendship, loyalty, and family. But most of all it is about love, and how powerful love is. The brilliantly innovative shots mixed with John William's epic score makes for a masterpiece, which E.T. certainly is. The underlying theme of science vs. religion is also what makes the film great. All of these things mesh together to form the film that "touched millions of people around the world." Everything about this film is great. Steven Spielberg pulls off some legendary shots, and the acting from the children is excellent. It makes the film truly real. Henry Thomas as Elliot is great. Drew Barrymoore is so cute throughout he whole film and she captures the audience every time she appears on screen. Peter Coyote does great with the minimal screen time they chose to give him. The relationship between E.T. and Elliot can be marked as one of the greatest friendships in Hollywood history, and if you have not seen this film I urge you to rent it or see it somehow as soon as possible. If you want to see why everyone raves about Spielberg being the greatest director of all time see this film. It truly shows him at his best. It will not only make you laugh and make you smile, but it will touch your heart deeper than any movie has touched you before. E.T. will go down as one of the greatest films as all time. Its timelessness is one of a kind. Forget what you hear about it being overrated. See it for yourself and understand why this film is apart of a small collection of films that will stay in our hearts forever and ever.

Powerful and unique

Author: JasonWest from Chicago, IL
16 June 1999

Spielberg's powerful and remarkable film about a boy and his unusual befriendment of an extra terrestrial. Possibly his finest film, E.T. captures a piece of childhood, and reminds the rest of us of a time long since past. It excites a story adults often forget, and a powerful remembrance of a childhood friendship during difficult periods of development. Adult criticism of the movie loses its youthful bond, and fails to appreciate growing up in the 80's. This is the pinnacle of Spielberg's childhood movies. Few other films capture as powerful a message of childhood emotion. Other films which attempt to do so dive so deep into childhood memories they lose their connection with adults, and degrade to brief interludes of "dumb" comic relief to keep grown ups from falling asleep. The closest runner up is likely Goonies (a film written by Spielberg). A very personal film for Spielberg; as he explores atypical friendships after the separation of his father; he should be commended for achieving such a remarkable success and for sharing it with the rest of us. I was five when I first saw the movie, and although it frightened me at the time, it still makes me cry. An unparalleled film in its class, it is easy to see why it remains the fourth all time grossing film (adjusted for inflation, third otherwise) seventeen years after its release. Cheers to Spielberg for not ruining the movie by attempting a sequel.

It's a Masterpiece

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
2 March 2006

There are those times when all the forces at work come together and you have a masterpiece. This, of course, is a kids' movie. Obviously, it is so much more. It is a story of love and heart and character. To begin with, as a middle school teacher, I can attest to the wonderful casting and writing. It doesn't insult us. It shows us how a person who knows the heart of humanity (and that extends to the alien nation) can transcend cliché and put forth a beautiful story--but not a lightweight one by any means. The adults make up the periphery. The childlike quality of the lovable alien could only be appreciated and cared for by those who have not become as jaded as they. As soon as those adult figures show up, everyone is in trouble. Yet, for the most part, they have good intentions. The government agents are another issue. They bring force and death.

Who hasn't seen this. There are series of episodes that have become part of our cultural landscape. Words have been brought into our language. We speak along with Elliot and ET. Halloween, phoning home, frogs all over the lab, hiding in the closet among the stuffed animals, the bike ride where the bikes suddenly leave the ground, the touching of the finger and the heart. It's just magical. Sometimes when one sees a movie, one begins to say, "If only they had done this or that." I can't think of anything in this film. Why write this review. Just to include my two cents' worth.

Fly him to the moon

Author: laholly from United States
19 May 2003

Back in 1982 when ET first came out a patron of the library I work at told me that I HAD TO SEE THIS MOVIE,and to take a box of tissues with me. Bear in mind that this gentleman was a very urbane,if somewhat cynical college professor. Not the type I would have expected to recommend a film so highly. I took his advise. THANK YOU HOWARD. Next to "The day the earth stood still" ET ranks as my favorite sci-fi film of all time. The newly inhanced version is excellent too. Henry Thomas is delightful and the middle child ,Elliott who find and befriends ET. He is not "too cute",but gives a terrific performance,especially when ET telepathically makes him drunk.The end of the movie still makes me cry,maybe not a whole box of tissues worth by now,but there is just something about ET and Elliott's good bye that tears me up.The two principle adults, Dee Wallace(Stone) and Peter Coyote are good too. Coyote, who is only known as "Keys" is in some respects almost as innocent as Elliott, and you wish that he had been able to have more contact with ET. Although the scenes where the house is being sealed off is frightening, it still works. The scene where Elliot and his brother steal the van is priceless when older brother comes out with the memorable line "I've never driven forward before!" I am planning to buy this on DVD as soon as possible. ET,you can phone my home or visit any time

E.T. = exceptionally tremendous

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
21 May 2002

If it wasn't for all of the babies crying in the theater, the reissue of this great movie would have been a better experience. While some will call ET nothing more than a sappy kid's movie, I feel this film brings much more to the table. The compassion, the acceptance, and the eventual paranoia surrounding ET made this film something to enjoy. With the remastered soundtrack, the experience proved to be even more breathtaking, adding more power and magistry to a film I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid. However, some of the remastered special effects were unnecessary, especially the guns- turned-walkie talkies effect Spielberg employed. I mean, what stubborn, rebellious kid is going to be afraid of walkie talkies? They should have just kept the guns. When this one comes out on DVD, I'll just pretend the special edition never happened.

Page 1 of 48:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]