IMDb > The Draughtsman's Contract (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]

Fondly remembered classic

Author: Mike Whittaker (mike_whittaker@ntlworld.com) from Nottingham, England
6 March 2001

I haven't seen this for ages, but I remember it fondly as one of my favorites. One of the best Greenaway films, also check out The Cook the Thief ..... As usual from the Director, superb cinematography. If you want to escape Hollywood clap trap look no further.

Beautiful but Boring

Author: kenjha
28 April 2006

An artist is hired by a rich woman to create a series of paintings while her husband is missing in action. The contract also includes some language about sexual favors. The settings are beautifully photographed but the movie is full of talking heads. They talk and talk and talk without saying anything interesting. Reflecting Greenaway's obsession with male nudity, there is an inexplicable running gag about a naked guy who turns up all over the estate posing as statues. Somewhere along the way, a dead body turns up. For those who manage to say awake until then, the ending will make no sense but who cares, as most of the film makes little sense.

pretty boring and pretentious

Author: fred-83 from Sweden
9 April 2000

I have problems with Greenaway, but I usually give him the benefit of a doubt, since I find some of his movies intriguing and atmospheric, like Pillow Book and The cook..., and some, like this one, is pretty boring and pretentious. It didn´t help that the old rental copy I watched was grainy and with faded colours, I´m sure the cinematography is better, but the painting-like framing of the scenes becomes boring after a while, I wanted more close-ups. The idea is promising but the end result is disappointing. Nymans music is mostly annoying. Granted, it´s Greenaways trademark style (or was back then), but it doesn´t work for me.

What in the world?

Author: kdearing from New Orleans, LA
10 March 2004

I had to watch this movie for my film class. It was terrible. The film quality was terrible, perhaps because we viewed it on VHS. This is what I got from the movie:

1. There was a draftsmen who got alot of action from the 2 women of the house 2. There was a mysterious naked man painted like a statue; who knows what his purpose was. 3. There is alot of wig usage.

Maybe I'm not as 'deep' as some of you film buffs, but frankly, this movie was terrible and was a bore. I had to promise myself Ben and Jerry's if I sat through the whole thing.

In conclusion, if you want British film, go get Monty Python.

Drivel

Author: David Farmbrough (dfarmbrough@cix.co.uk) from London
18 January 2001

This is probably the worst film I have seen, narrowly beating George Of The Jungle. The design is beautiful, with the sets and costumes serving a dull dull story, bereft of plot, characters, and interesting dialogue. Why Greenaway tried to write this himself, instead of employing a writer is beyond me. Michael Nyman makes a good stab at the music, but it is too dominant in the sound mix, and not subtle enough to complement the occasionally good photography. Add to the mix unnecessary music, actors who barely move when speaking their lines, many characters who look alike due to identical make-up or masks, and a pretentious pseudo-restoration English, and the result is an unintelligible mess.

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]