IMDb > Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

a wacky, brilliant technical achievement

Author: Aaron Fuller from Ellicott City, MD
28 September 1998

This is a must for any fan of Hollywood film-noir of the 40s. This movie seemlessly blends scenes from great films like Hitchcock's Notorious and Billy Wilder's Double Indemnity with a very funny story that has Steve Martin and Rachel Ward actually interacting with the likes of Bette Davis, Cary Grant, Alan Ladd, and Jimmy Cagney. No Forrest Gump-like morphing or other compter generated tricks, just clever writing and perfect wardrobe and lighting that constantly amazes. This plays well even if you haven't seen the classic films that the clips were borrowed from, but the more familiar you are with the material, the more amazed and amused you will be. This is Carl Reiner's best, most inventive work and Steve Martin is perfect.

Strange text

Author: rfrenzel2002 from United States
9 August 2006

While watching DMDWP for the 13th time I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. When Steve Martin is about to chase Vincent Price through the streets of Carlotta, there appears the letters PEDR, all caps, on the upper right side of my screen. It's only there for a split second but it's definitely there. It actually flashes twice. The first appearance is when Carlos says "Don't worry about your pajamas, "señor" When he says "about", there it is. The second appearance coincides with the word, "señor". This thing has really got me baffled. Does anyone know what this means? Funny thing is, I've seen the movie over a dozen times but I never noticed until now.

Classically Classy

Author: Meg H from United States
19 May 2003

Being an old movie freak (I may be the only high schooler who can quote "Breakfast at Tiffany's word for word), this picture was a joy to watch! The film clips substituted into the film is a brilliant way to tell the story, although the cleaning lady was a little odd.... Very nice performance by Steve Martin! Recommended to all old movie fans, and lovers of great comedy!!

Great entertainment

Author: Jeff (Inthegoodlife@Aol.com) from Jacksonville, FL
26 February 2002

Dead Men don't Wear Plaid is a great idea that stands up as a very good execution of film noir, probably because it borrowed from some fantastic movies. The plot takes bits and pieces of some great film noir movies of the 30's and 40's and splices them into a new plot featuring Steve Martin as a detective who tries to solve the mystery surrounding the name Carlotta. The plot is excellent and could also have been done to great effect without the comedy. Steve Martin makes a nice detective and most of the spliced scenes work well. The movie drags in the middle as Martin recruits ex-girlfriends and a few other scenes seem to be added for padding. The music is fantastic and sets the mood perfectly as being thick and depressing, especially in scenes at the end. You really get the feeling that Martin is a down and nearly out personality and that the world is dark and sad. Great entertainment.

6.5/10

A truly unique comedy

Author: David Anderson from Toronto
11 June 2001

The interwoven footage from 1940s films noires are masterful. One of the few comedies I can watch over and over. Anticipating the gags just makes it funnier. Steve Martin and Rachel Ward are great in this movie

one of my favorite comedies

Author: scharms from Florida, USA
4 December 2000

This is one of my favorite comedies of all time. The one-liners are great, Steve Martin is at his best, and Rachel Ward is beautiful. You should be a fan of silly humor, otherwise you may not like it. I have seen this one many times and still enjoy it.

a feast of recognition...

Author: Rob Hendrikx from Tilburg, Netherlands
15 September 2000

This is an excellent movie. The makers have put a lot of time in research, gathering short fragments of a number of black and white so-called films noir, and adapting the main story so it fits perfectly with all these shots. Thus you see bit parts by famous actors of the past, like Humphrey Bogart, Burt Lancaster and Alan Ladd and by actresses like Barbara Stanwyck, Veronica Lake and Ava Gardner.

The reason why I think this movie, although still very good, is not quite as brilliant as it might have been, is that Steve Martin is terribly overacting. He is playing a tough guy private detective, in the Mickey Spillane tradition. And some comic things he does (like with the cigarette) really only enhance his performance, but there are other moments, like with the 'cleaning woman', that are totally ridiculous.

Rachel Ward plays his paying client, and does this excellently. Apart from being an extremely beautiful woman and a very capable drama actress, she proves to be a fine comedienne as well, at least a fine straight (wo-)man.

For film freaks this movie is a feast of recognition.

dead men live on in plaid

Author: richardskenneth (richardskenneth@optusnet.com.au) from brisbane, australia
14 April 2000

I found the movie an enjoyable viewing i am a great fan of the earlier movies like white heat, dial m for murder, the killers and how these were implanted into the plot was very clever. Mr Martin played a very convincing role in the unfolding of the movie his script blended well. I loved the scene in the prison where martin was the prisoners mother and how he was really getting to like dressing up. In all the movie ran very smooth and every scene linked to the next.Dead men don't wear plaid is a one of a kind.

Great flick!

Author: alliev82
5 March 2000

Steve Martin's portraying of Rigby Reardon was fabulous. Martin, who never ceases to amaze me, put on another fabulous show of talent. I loved how the film was interwoven with clips from vintage movies like Sorry Wrong Number, which was a classic radio show. I had a teacher who played a tape of the radio show for my 8th grade English class 3 yrs ago, and it was one of my fave parts in the film. The thing I thought was twisted is that if anyone said "Cleaning lady." in front of Reardon, he flipped out and attempted to strangle them. This film was cool because it's as old as I am, and looks about 50 years older. Martin looked much younger with dark hair. The screenplay was outstanding, and snaps to Carl Reiner, who did a great job of directing Steve Martin in another great film, just like the Jerk, and All of Me, which I loved! Be sure to read that review. Anyways, I highly recommend this film to anyone who enjoys detective films. Oh, and Steve, stay out of drag!!!

Very original, very enjoyable

Author: Marcus Opdam
9 January 1999

This movie is really an original. It filmed in black and white and tries to capture the mood of the crime movies of the 40's and 50's and succeeds in it. Blended into the story are loads of scenes with Hollywood greats (from their movies from the 40's and 50's) that sometimes don't blend in too well, but I can forgive that because the idea is so good.

There's also plenty of room for funny scenes with steve martin. If you like him, you should watch this. It takes a bit of effort to go watch a b/w movie, but it's worth it.

I give it a 9.