IMDb > "D'Artacan y los tres mosqueperros" (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"D'Artacan y los tres mosqueperros"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

strong start...........weak finish

Author: bigwig_thalyi from United Kingdom
4 July 2005

this is the sort of cartoon that you love as a child but when you see it through adult eyes you realise that while you may still be fond of it,it should remain in the rosy land of childhood memories

The animation is good but it's nothing special.The characters are more cuddly than daring,as they were in the books.Dogtanian is still feisty and headstrong but as this is a children's cartoon they had to remove his amourous nature. For most of the series the cartoon stays amazingly close to the books and it's only in the concluding episodes that it strays a little This cartoon starts off strongly but towards the end of it's mammoth 26 episodes it starts to get weaker and you are willing it to finish. In conclusion, watch it if you are heavily into childhood nostalgia or you want to show it to your kids ,otherwise leave it to the memories of childhood.Only for the very young. 6out of 10 rating.

SO much better than the one with Charlie Sheen and Chris O'Donnell.

Author: Victor Field from London, England
23 January 2003

If you've ever seen "Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds," Guido and Maurizio De Angelis' theme song will be stuck on your memory for the rest of your life. The show itself, from the same Spanish folks that gave us "Around the World with Willy Fog," was - once you get past the fact that all the characters are animals (mostly canine, with some exceptions - Milady was a cat for instance) - a pretty straight-faced adaptation; like "Muppet Treasure Island," it didn't make fun of its source, and all the better for it.

You do wonder why D'Artagnan was renamed Dogtanian (all the other Dumas characters kept their names), but the spirit of the story was retained and the message of friendship and loyalty came through true and clear - without any need to spell it out for the audience, DIC and Filmation please note. The animation wouldn't win any prizes, but neither was it as bad as some higher-profile companies (yes, that means Filmation again... now out of business, by the way). No one will rate this above the beloved 1970s version with Chamberlain, Reed and Co., but "The Musketeer" is likely to be less effective than this. The 1993 version, on the other hand, IS less effective than this.

Footnote: Although the English-language title and the theme song refer to "Muskehounds," Athos, Porthos and Aramis are referred to throughout the entire series as "Musketeers." I've heard of something getting lost in the translation, but this is ridiculous.

Lengthy but Good Recreation of the Book

Author: mygreatness321 from London, England
20 October 2004

I have fond memories of this show, the animation was a bit patchy but that never seemed to matter too much. The theme tune was superb and was accompanied by dogs barking to it in the background! Obviously the idea of using Dogs as characters wore a little thin on the creators as only 'Dogtanian' got a doggy name while the rest of the characters got the names they had in the Dumas book. They also extended every aspect of the book as far as they could go, I don't know how many episodes there were but it was a lot and when you consider that the film faithfully reproduced the book in 2 hours this was perhaps overkill. Anyway, still a lot of fun.

Masterpice

Author: Steffu from United Kingdom
22 February 2009

Despite the manipulation into Twenty Six episodes, DATTM was a true classic, I loved the series, I was given the DVDs as a present and I just love it to death, my real favourite cartoon of the 80s. The only thing that put me off it was the fact that Dogtanian had a doggy name and of course, he never even saw his parents or school friends again and Juliette, been given a name like in Disney films, where the heroine is named (eg.The LIttle Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast etc.) well that was a few years before that happened. Pip tough was the most annoying and the episodes focusing on a jungle, just put the cartoon off a little.

Overall, still a brilliant masterpiece in the making.

Timeless Cartoon

Author: Marcin Kukuczka from Cieszyn, Poland
19 April 2009

Having seen lots of movies and having gained a wide experience in watching various stories on screen, I tend to ask myself "what is, in fact, a timeless work?" Is it something deeply hidden within your memory, a cinematic work that you re-watch with pleasure many times? Yet, wouldn't that be too subjective? Or is "timeless", perhaps, something popular that many movie buffs see and praise? Wouldn't that be, to the contrary, too statistical? Or we'd better not dwell in definitions but just decide to see one. DOGTANIAN AND THE THREE MUSKEHOUNDS, a cartoon I saw as a 6 year-old kid and which I have just re-watched almost 25 years later seems to give the answer...

The first aspect which makes this cartoon worthy the name "timeless" is its uniqueness in the genre. Being the faithful adaptation of the famous novel by Alexandre Dumas, it is, at the same time, a work on its own. Why? Because of its nature. It is a cartoon addressed to children, teenagers and adults alike. An animation like no other! Everyone may find something for themselves here seeing the story together in a family. Since the content appears to be executed chronologically in the order of 26 episodes, each single episode offers new adventures, new thrills. Just to name a few: from "Dogtanian's Journey", "Paris City of Dreams", "Juliette Kidnapped", "The Impostor" to "Dogtanian's Dream Comes True"... they are all filled with some serious plots based on the novel, flawless action based on modern movies, wit going with clever script and fun so much desired by kids and teenagers. Some moments in certain episodes are truly unforgettable (consider, for instance, the adventure in the jungle...)

Another aspect worth considering are the characters of the story. These are animals, perhaps sometimes based on stereotypically cultural views on their features, yet, very clear to children. For older viewers, they are also easily identified with since most of the characters have the same names as in the novel. So we have goodies as dogs, including three noble musketeers Athos, Porthos and Aramis; lovely Juliet with whom Dogtanian is head over heels in love and lots of supporting, yet memorable characters that appear from time to time. Here, I would mention the lovely mouse - funny Pip who appears in the second half of the story and whose ideas and voice make lots of kids split their sides and Queen Anne, a clever, smart and noble fox. We have wicked cardinal Richelieu, a wolf with his pet raven who notoriously plans to ridicule and destroy the musketeers in the eyes of King Louis (of course historical travesty though forgotten...it's a cartoon after all). We have his aid handsome Count Rochefort nicknamed "The Black Moustache" whose loyalty to cardinal's wretched plans seems to never cease. Finally, we have memorable spicy Milady, a clever yet plotting cat who appears to be a mysterious object of interest and conspiracy. And in all this comes our hero, Dogtanian, an adorable dog whose loyalty condenses in musketeer motto "One for All and All for One"

Finally, the aspect that makes this cartoon timeless is the theme song that so many reviewers have mentioned before me. The song is truly unforgettable with its pace, its rhythm, its melody and special atmosphere. I remember watching it as a kid on TV on Sunday evenings and i recall the moments the song began with the credits to bring me into a specific mood I was in till the end of an episode. Some kids cried when the series ended...

I would recommend everyone to see this adorable cartoon of long ago, it is, as I've mentioned, accurate for both the younger and the older ones. For me, it is a sentimental memory of labels I collected in the 1980s, a nostalgic return to my childhood years like for many other people who reviewed the cartoon underneath. That's the main reason we like it. Nevertheless, who says it has to be the reason of yours...

A nice animated TV show

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
21 August 2007

Also known as "Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds", this animated TV series was memorable in the lives of many people when they were children, including me.

Basically it is the legendary story of D'Artagnan and the three musketeers, but because this is an animated version, it has a charm of its own and a certain nostalgia feeling I can't explain. Being an animated version, this one is naturally a version with anthropomorphic animals, in this case dogs (as you can see by its title).

This is a classic animated TV series perfectly suitable for children, being charming, sweet and timeless, unlike most today's cartoons which are ugly, uninteresting, pretty violent, almost painfully noisy and often contain destructive humor. This animated TV show is from another time, a gold generation which was the very best to be a child and when everything was totally different.

The opening song is absolutely adorable and timeless. Put it this way, it is a lovely song. So memorable that once you hear it, you'll never forget it for as long as you live.

Although the popular story of D'Artagnan and his three musketeers is french, this is actually a Spanish production, which manages to be loyal to the french story yet has a characteristic Latin enchant, resulting in a great combination of both.

D'Artacan (or Dogtanian) lives many adventures with his partners and friends (the 3 muskehounds), but he has also an original and humorous little friend: a very talkative and energetic anthropomorphic mouse that speaks with a strong Latin accent. But I can't remember the mouse's name...

I always found Milady (an anthropomorphic cat) to be a strange character: very mysterious and enigmatic. She's the kind of character that at times seems to be a brief friend, but is also a troublemaker for Dogtanian as she often hypnotizes him.

In conclusion: this is a cartoon to have fond memories of.

Average Cartoon Show

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
22 September 2002

Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds (as it was called in the UK) was a decent show. The animation may not have been the best ever and it wasn't the most memorable show but it had it's moments.

Dogtanian was a puppy who came to Paris to join the Kings Own Guard. He manages to fall in love with Juliette and teams with three swordsters by the name of Athos, Porthos and Aramis to engage in battle. It was one for all and all for one.

I wouldn't call the show a classic cartoon show but the characters were quite interesting and it is certainly worth a look.

Inspiring cartoon

Author: m-ozfirat from United Kingdom
16 March 2017

I remember watching this fondly on ITV in the UK when it originally aired on the Children's hour on television. During that time not knowing it was originally a book by Alexander Dumas I found the show entertaining with the characters being interesting along with the story lines intertwined with good chemistry and animation. The series remains sincere to the works of Dumas to which this series introduced me to as it captivated me and was educational for children. Instead of making a spin off later in 1990 they could of made an entire series of the Dumas works with a little more episodes.

The faults are few in the series. I understand the series is aimed at children but the characters could of been slightly more formal as in the classic works better represented by human characters and Juliette should of been cast as Constance because the other characters have their original names. instead of doing another season of the series they should of concluded with another Dumas classic The Count of Monte Cristo as a good successor a little later after this was completed.

great theme tune!

Author: MrLister from london, england
10 June 2003

This show has one of the greatest theme tunes ever! It's a pretty good show otherwise, and is available in the UK on DVD (budget).It follows the adventures of cocky young pup Dogtanian in his quest to become one of the Royal Musketeers. Created as a joint collaboration between France and Japan, it retains many of the qualities that make anime so popular.

I think it should be made into a live action film starring Jack Nicholson as Dogtanian. That'd be worth seeing...