IMDb > Bloodtide (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bloodtide More at IMDbPro »Blood Tide (original title)

Danger! Deaf Foley Artists at Work!

Author: junk-monkey (liam@merriol.freeserve.co.uk) from Highlands of Scotland
17 October 2006

This review based on the DVD version in the Treeline '50 SF Classics' (Hah!) Box Set. Which is a real must have collection for total crap movie buffs.

Whatever its other faults, and there are way too many to mention them all, this piece of drek does deliver one moment of sheer movie genius. The sight of James Earl Jones delivering Shakespeare while wearing a snorkel has got to be one of the most unintentionally hilariously surreal ideas ever put onto film.

The rest of this movie is unwatchable rubbish with huge and obvious holes in the narrative, the most ludicrous cat in mid-air shot ever, and some terrible, terrible sound mixing. I think the Foley guys must have been on steroids when they were dubbing this one. Or deaf. There's an idea; a deaf Foley artist. Anyway, every footfall, every object moved, every movement in this movie is so wildly loud it half drowns out the dialogue. (In itself, is no bad thing.) It might be just the version I watched but the sound mix is awful. There is one scene in particular, set on a beach, where the sound of the gentle Mediterranian waves lapping on the sunny, sandy beach sound less like the romantic idyll it is meant to be but more like elephants having mad frantic sex in an indoor swimming pool. The acoustics of the cave sequences are even more painful.

Other delights include some really bad acting from Lydia Cornell and her incredible vanishing bra. (And I do mean really really bad.) And a couple of random and meaningless point of view shots which were obviously shot as "Well, everyone walks up this way at least once in the movie we'll do a generic POV to cover ourselves in the editing."

I guess the leads had a nice holiday in Greece out of it. Good for them.