IMDb > Bloodtide (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bloodtide More at IMDbPro »Blood Tide (original title)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Luke, I sacrifice virgins...

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
6 December 2006

This is a totally unique movie! Yes…UNIQUE!! And why? Because it has the most promising and potentially great sounding plot, about the sacrifice of young female virgins to a hideous sea creature on a remote island community, and yet somehow it manages to be an extremely boring and totally uneventful film! Is that unique or what? I watched this movie less than 12 hours ago and I already have a hard time remembering what went on, actually. It has a bunch of uninteresting people, among them James Earl Jones, gathering on this peculiar island to search for a missing girl. She's there all right, but so is a freshly resurrected sea monster the natives are forced to feed virgins to! After that, I kind of lost track of the plot. Though that doesn't really matter, as nothing happens. The characters talk and talk and talk…and, occasionally, they throw around cats for some reason. There are no gory death sequences or cool sea monster designs, not even a bit of delightful sleaze. The monster is hardly shown on screen and when it is (for about 5 seconds) it looks like the most ugliest sock puppet ever. James Earl Jones' imposing voice is usually joy to listen to, expect when he exclusively talks nonsense like it is the case here. It must have been weird for those few unlucky people who saw "Blood Tide" at the cinema back in 1982. The Star Wars movies were hugely popular and Jones' powerful voice was automatically linked to the image of Darth Vader. Can you imagine Vader to jibber about the cheesy sea creatures, ancient Greek myths and virgin sacrifices? Do your brain a favor and skip this film...

The Sea Monster from the underwater cave

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
11 March 2005

**SPOILERS** Drawn to the Greek island of Synanon in the Aegean Sea young and pretty, as well as virgin, Madeline,Deborah Shelton, inadvertently with the help of Frye, James Earl Jones,and his girlfriend Barbara, Lydia Cornell, releases from a hidden underwater cave an ancient monster who goes on a bloody rampage. Killing islanders on the Island as well as those swimming off shore. Were told by the wise old men of the Island, from it's mayor on down, that the only way to stop the monster from it's deadly rounds is to offer up a young girl or woman virgin as a sacrifice to it.

Arriving on Synanon earlier in the movie is Nell,Martin Kove, Madeline's brother and Sherry,Mary Louise Weller, his wife who are going both on their honeymoon and looking for the elusive Madeline who hasn't been seen or heard from for almost four months. Thinking at first that the story of the Sea Monster is a lot of hogwash Nell Shelly and especially Fray become believers when a number of women end up missing,including Barbara, and later are found washed up on shore dead, and in pieces, as a result of the monster's actions.

Fray who was both cool and collective and very sure of himself flipped out when he later saw the monster devourer an Island woman who was trying to save her daughter, who fell into the water, and becomes a hopeless drunk. Seeing her call in life, by uncovering a hidden ancient painting, Madeline prepares to offer herself up to be killed and eaten by the Sea Monster in order to stop the slaughter. The monster went as far as attacking a church killing all the nuns except the Mother Superior Sister Anna, Llia Kedrova, who was badly injured. In the end Frye who released the ancient monster for it's cave destroyed it, as well as himself,by blowing it to shreds with modern explosives.

The acting in "Blood Tide"is far better then the story itself with top-notch actors James Earl Jones as the self-centered adventurer Frye. Jose Ferrer was very good as the Islands mayor Nerevs who knew more about what was going on then you at first would have thought. Besides the very good acting the scenic and breath-taking photography of the Greek Island and the surrounding Aegean Sea kept you awake and observant of what was happening on screen even though the very flimsy and mediocre story didn't.

Well...I guess it was worth a dollar?

Author: whammy666 from United States
15 March 2005

Wow, I got this movie at the dollar store on DVD. Not expecting much, I bought it along with some others. But this was by far the worst I bought. Yeah, monster is shown for 5 secs, maybe less. In some cases this is good...in this case bad. I had a hard time not falling asleep through this flick.It is boring. It is somewhat interesting but it just gets too boring. James Earl Jones is okay in his performance...I guess. SOme of the acting was okay. Special effects weren't great. Not much killing or gore, a little, but not much. It is not really that this film is low budget, no gore, shows no monster...just that it is seriously boring. lol. I'd stay away but what the heck, it is only a dollar. 3/10

THE MONSTER MOVIE THAT WASN'T

Author: Randall Phillip (monstermonkeyhead@yahoo.com) from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
22 January 2004

Decent plot and acting, but... if you're looking for a monster flick, this ain't it. The monster is in it for all of 4 seconds- literally. This is truly a shame, because this movie had all the earmarks of a great monster flick. So, I'd say pass on this one, unless you don't mind wasting your time.

Some classic horror ideas - ruined

Author: manicgecko from United States
17 October 2005

Ah, horror garbage at its finest, at least in parts. Young couple goes to Greece on their honeymoon looking for his sister. That's exactly what I wanted to do on my honeymoon. Meet up with JEJ and his hot blond on an island that they are unwelcome on and meet an ancient curse. I should be basking in the cheesiness, but somehow it doesn't deliver. Don't get me wrong there were some truly classic moments including the children sacrificing their friend in a game, the whole 5 SECONDS of the paper mache monster, and the village drunk was good for a laugh. I just found myself dozing in between. Good news though I found out who David Hasselhoff based his acting techniques off of.

run-of-the-mill

Author: KDWms from Pocono Summit, PA
29 September 2003

Newlyweds find the shirtless husband's sister on the Greek island which she went to two years ago. Also on the island are some inhospitable natives; a Shakespeare-quoting, sunken-treasure hunter and his voluptuous female companion; and a murderous, amphibious creature, which we don't see very much of. There you have the basics...and, there isn't a great deal more to spice things up. Oh...your enjoyment MIGHT be a LITTLE greater if you have a wet-shirt fetish. But other effects are virtually non-existent. With nothing, really, to bring it down, however, I sum it up as a passable yarn (or yawn, if you're a thrill-seeker).

"I kiss thee and I kill thee, no way but this."

Author: classicsoncall from United States
15 March 2006

Put Jose Ferrer and James Earl Jones together in a film and you would think you'd have the ingredients for a Shakespearean drama, but what you get in "Blood Tide" might pass for a made for TV horror flick with some X rated moments. Martin Kove and Mary Louise Weller portray newlyweds Neil and Sherry Grice, on the search for Neil's sister on a Greek island where she was last heard from. Madeline (Deborah Shelton) drifts between lucidity and a trance like state throughout the film with no explanation, maintaining a mysterious relationship with a nun who maintains a monastery on the island. Ferrer's character Nereus is a priest like figure who has the only reasonable advice to offer, both to the Grice's and the viewer - better leave now.

There are a few scenes that get your hopes up, like the underwater shots that portend Jaws like horror, but they never deliver. When one finally gets a glimpse of the creature, you better be quick about it because he's quicker than Houdini. The film probably could have gotten a bit more mileage out of the monster and the whole virgin sacrifice thing with better writing, but this was definitely a film on a budget. As for the monster, it seemed like a mutated version of the Creature From the Black Lagoon.

With clichéd lines like "Time is running out for all of us" and "You have seen your death Mr. Frye", you'll have to connect your own dots to make some sense out of the film. And am I the only one to notice, but after Neil saves Madeline from the underwater cave, wasn't that brother-sister kiss just a bit disturbing?

Nico Mastorakis Strikes Again

Author: Crap_Connoisseur from Australia
25 May 2006

Blood Tide is the brain child of Greek horror 'auteur' Nico Mastorakis. Nico probably has more films in IMDb's bottom 100 than any other director but this is more a reflection on the poor taste of most IMDb voters. Nico's films are generally pretty atrocious (with the exception of the great "Island Of Death") but at least his films won't induce insomnia like some of the movies populating the top 250. This film, directed by Richard Jefferies, is a good example of the Nico formula: blood, nudity and virgin sacrifice.

The plot of Blood Tide is pretty damn stupid. A treasure hunter, played by James Earl Jones, has awoken an evil demon that lies dormant under a Greek island. Unfortunately, this event coincides with Neil and Sherry's arrival on the island to search for Neil's missing sister, Madeline. Before too long, young women start disappearing and the villagers resort to sacrificial offerings in order to calm down the island demon. In other words, this is all a thinly veiled excuse for gratuitous nudity and cheap horror action - which is fine by me.

The strange thing about Blood Tide is that the film has quite a respectable cast for what is obviously a B-movie. James Earl Jones is always reliable and he doesn't disappoint with his turn as Frye. I'm convinced he only to took the role due to the character habit of incessantly reciting Othello, because the idea of playing a watermelon chomping stereotype could not have been all that appealing. Jose Ferrer is another great character actor and he makes his role count for more than it is worth. The same can be said for Lila Kedrova, who has to be the only Oscar winner to appear in a Mastorakis production. Genre fans will also be pleased to see Martin Kove, atypically playing a good guy.

Apart from the actors, the main reason to watch the film is to enjoy the gloriously inept creature effects. The demon is a plastic puppet that looks more like a sea horse than a monster. The rest of the special effects are equally as dubious. The film also strangely spends a significant amount of time 'paying homage' to (ie. shamelessly ripping off) "Exorcist II: The Heretic". Why anyone would want to take inspiration from that train wreck is beyond me, but someone was obviously a fan.

Blood Tide has many faults: crap special effects, a poor script and a lead actor who refuses to wear a shirt. However, it is also campy horror fun and contains one of the funniest displays of beach side aerobics that I can remember seeing. In any case, Blood Tide does not belong in the bottom 100.

A pretty dull, slow and forgettable horror washout

16 May 2006

Neil (Martin Kove, the evil martial arts instructor in the "Karate Kid" movies) and his hottie wife Sherry (the lovely Mary Louise Weller; Mandy Pepperidge in "Animal House") go to a remote Greek island to find Neil's kooky wayward sister Madeline (the gorgeous Deborah Shelton, who also sings the ending credits theme song). They not only find Madeline, but also shady fortune hunter Frye (a hale'n'hearty slice of fat, juicy ham from James Earl Jones) and his blonde bimbo girlfriend Barbara (the adorable Lydia Cornell). Frye awakens an ancient evil sea beast from its centuries of slumber. The creature proceeds to eat a few folks including Barbara while she's swimming topless. The superstitious villagers decide to sacrifice the virginal Madeline to the creature in order to placate it.

"Blood Tide" is a good example of a promising story let down by an extremely flat and uninspired execution. The cast is fine (besides the aforementioned folks, we also have Jose Ferror as the mayor and Lila Kedrova as a nun), the Greek locations are breathtakingly beautiful, the plot is fresh and interesting, Weller and Cornell look spectacular in skimpy bikinis, but alas Richard Jeffries' slack direction keeps the pace crawling along at a gruelingly sluggish clip and fails to create the necessary tension and creepy atmosphere required to make the premise work like it should (Jeffries later made amends for his bungling here by co-writing the script for the excellent "Scarecrows"). Moreover, we hardly get to see the monster and when we finally do it looks pretty hokey and unconvincing. The tedious surplus of drippy dialogue doesn't help matters any either. Only in the last ten minutes does the pace pick up and the suspense kick in, but by then it's way too little much too late to make this anything more than a might-have-been-something-better wasted opportunity.

Okay, if you're into 'B' movies.....

Author: Vince Zen (vincezen1971@yahoo.com) from United States
6 January 2006

No, it wasn't 'Jaws'. It was okay, though. You get to see a young, trim James Earl Jones, and he does a decent acting job for the most part. You get to see the bad guy from Karate Kid do a fair to good acting job as well. The rest of the cast includes veteran Jose Ferrer, Lila Kedrova, Lydia Cornell and Mary Weller. Lydia Cornell does a horrible acting job, but is fun to look at. The worst part is, there is no monster. I mean, yea, there IS, but, you never see him, except for about three seconds. What you DO see isn't that bad, just needs a little work. The location for shooting was awesome. Oh yea, there is one full frontal early on in the movie. Don't look for her again, or even another frontal. That's it. That's all you get. All in all, I'd say it's worth watching, if you're into 'B' horror like I am.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]