IMDb > Airplane II: The Sequel (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

More of the same

Author: mjw2305 from England
4 February 2006

Airplane II - The sequel is quite literally more of the same, same cast (I'm glad to say) except Leslie Nielson (shame that) same jokes (Most of which still work well) same plot (Only this time we are in space) and the same hero.

Given all of the above, you may wonder why bother? Put simply - it's still funny, it's still better than a lot of spoof movies and OH YES! why change a winning formula.

Aiplane 2 is inferior to its predecessor in every way, but if you enjoyed the first film, you'll be entertained by the sequel (Just not quite as much) 8/10

Oveur was over Unger, and I was under Dunn.

Author: pleiades10 from woodbridge, VA
30 August 2000

Another hilarious spoof of disaster films, this one takes most of the cast of the original "Airplane!" and puts them in the future where space shuttle travel is the hot new thing. Robert Hayes and Julie Hagerty reprise their roles as Ted Stryker and Elaine Dickinson, two bumbling and likeable characters who fall in love (like so many times before...) during the inevitable breakdown of... well... EVERYTHING on the Mayflower 1's maiden voyage to the moon. Some of the jokes are tired retreads of the earlier film's efforts, but most are rapid fire gags that hit the mark every time.

I'm still surprised that NBC didn't develop a sitcom based on Stephen Stucker's character of Johnny...

"Tell me everything that's happened so far, Johnny."

"Well, first the Earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they died and turned to oil. And then the Arabs started buying Mercedes Benzes. And then Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes, I couldn't believe it..."

I know that it was silly, but for some reason I enjoyed it

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
4 August 2006

Now, I know that this was the same thing and same jokes as the very first Airplane. But for some reason, I think because I was just in such a good mood that day, I really did enjoy this funny sequel. True, despite it being set in the future, they used the same characters, and you could totally tell that it was still set in the 80's, it was still a fun movie to watch. The only thing I really missed was Leslie Neilson.

I know this also has a lower rating than the original, but I think everyone just needs to have fun with it. Yes, it was an unnecessary sequel, but it still had a few good laughs you have to admit. They brought back all the jokes we loved, and yes, it's unoriginal, but at least it's what makes the movie work. So, I know as silly as it may sound, I think you'll get a kick out of Airplane II: The Sequel. Like I said, just have fun with it!

Lukewarm sequel

Author: Superunknovvn from Austria, Vienna
15 July 2003

The makers of "Airplane II: The Sequel" simply took every joke from the first one and made it again. This gets boring after a while. People taking things too literally is so overused in this movie it's getting painful (like the "trip" scene - ouch!). There are one or two good moments, though (some William Shatner scenes and the 2001 waltz spoof) and it's a good thing that the main cast (excluding Leslie Nielsen & Robert Stack) from "Airplane!" returned for this one. All in all, "Airplane II: The Sequel" is watchable but I'm glad that they never made a third part. It only could have gone downhill from the original, anyway.

Airplane II: The Sequel 8/10

Author: movieguy1021 (Movieguy1021@comcast.net) from Anywhere, USA
23 October 2002

In case we couldn't tell, Ken Finkleman decided to put "The Sequel" in the title. Why, I have no idea, but it gives it somewhat of a muddles sound. Or maybe saying that most of the jokes are repeated from the first movie.

Robert Hays yet again plays Ted Striker, but he doesn't have Elaine (Julie Hagerty). Instead, Simon (Chad Everett) is going to get married to her as soon as they get back from the first commercial flight to the moon, where Elaine is stewerdassing. And what does Ted do? Buy a ticket. And what happens? He has to fly it.

But the controls are out of human hands. A computer, ROK, is driving the ship. It's a not-so-subliminal parody of 2001: A Space Odyseey. And what happens to ROK? He becomes drunk with power and becomes demented. Oh yeah, and there's a crazy person (Sonny Bono) who brought a time bomb onto the ship. And there's a horse.

Hays strikes right on as Striker, and cheery Hagerty outplays everyone. Unfourtanetly, as you watch, you'll be waiting in vain for Leslie Nielsen. Where is he when you need him?

A2TS is still very funny, even though the jokes are used over from the first one (Austin Powers, anyone?). They're played in different ways. More "what is it" and "war is hell" jokes are here, but they're still funny. One setback is the numerous flashbacks which hinder the course of the "plot". I'm not saying they're not funny, but in a run of jokes, it's not necessary. And, it seems like a comedy where they don't know they're in a comedy (the jokes are always funnier that way).

Luckily, Lloyd Bridges reprises his role as Steve McCroskey, the vice-driven commander. And Rip Torn makes a miniscule appearance. How could we forget Stephen Stucket, the delightfully quirky Jacobs (Johnny in the first) who can lighten up any dank situation.

So, it's still funny (even if it reuses jokes), it's got Sonny Bono, and it's got Raymond Burr on the other side of the courtroom in a flashback.

My rating: 8/10

Rated PG for nudity, language, and comic violence.

Sequel To Spoof!

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
28 September 2013

More-of-the-same sequel sees Robert Hays, Julie Haggerty, and Lloyd Bridges(among a few others) return as they are now involved with the first lunar space shuttle that is accidentally sent into a collision course with the sun after a computer malfunction. Once again only Ted Striker can land the ship, and save their lives, with help from the airport crew(this time William Shatner as Buck Murdoch).

Sequel tries awfully hard for laughs but comes up short; most are either recycled from the first, or outright fail, though William Shatner is the highlight here, successfully spoofing his "Star Trek" action hero persona well(Watch out for the Enterprise...) Promises a Part III that never materialized, so we'll likely never know if that was a good or bad thing!

More Of The Same

Author: ShadeGrenade from Ambrosia
17 June 2009

'Airplane!', the funniest film Mel Brooks never made, came out in 1980, and became one of the year's biggest hits. This wild spoof of '70's disaster movies did not, as some believe, kill the genre ( it had burned itself out well before then ), but certainly made a fitting headstone.

Interviewed at the time, Jim Abrahams said a sequel was in the offing, to be provisionally entitled 'The 747 Strikes Back'. But when it finally appeared two years later, it was called 'Airplane 2: The Sequel' and neither Abrahams nor Jerry and David Zucker had anything to do with it. Ken Finkleman, writer of 'Grease 2', served in the dual capacity of writer and director. He retained most of the original's characters ( except for Leslie Nielsen's 'Dr.Rumack' ).

After the events of the original film, Ted Stryker ( Robert Hays ) became a moon pilot, but got incarcerated in a lunatic asylum ( named after Ronald Reagan ) following a major screw-up, while the love of his life, the beautiful Elaine ( Julie Hagerty ) is stewardess aboard the maiden commercial space shuttle flight to the Moon. A faulty computer sends the craft hurtling towards the Sun. Luckily a passenger ( Sonny Bono ) had the foresight to bring along a bomb in a briefcase. But who can bring the craft down? Guess who?

The problem is that 'Airplane!' did not need a sequel. The original's freshness was bound to be lost - and was. I would imagine that the people who found this really funny in 1982 were those who never saw the first. Many gags are recycled; the hysterical woman being slapped by a long line of people, the 'what is it?' exchanges, MacCroskey ( Lloyd Bridges ) leaning on his desk and mimicking the pose on the picture behind him, someone throwing away a cigarette and causing an explosion etc.

Some gags are lame - when someone says 'this panel is so hot you could fry eggs on it', we next see just that!

But there are absolute corkers; the poster on the in-flight movie is 'Rocky 38' starring an elderly Sly Stallone in boxing gloves, a topical gag has E.T. trying to phone home and getting trouble from the operator, an elevator plays 'MacArthur Park' incredibly loudly, Stryker escapes from the asylum, and a searchlight picks out Jack Jones singing the theme from 'The Love Boat', a dog-owning family is told that 'Scraps' must have his shots, and then the customs officer pulls out a gun and shoots the animal, and a boy plays with a computer navigation system thinking it to be a game and almost kills a plane's passengers.

William Shatner hams it up wonderfully as the Commander of 'Moonbase Alpha Beta' ( a reference to 'Space: 1999' ), and the presence of Peter Graves ( once more 'Captain Oveur' ) allows for a dig at 'Mission: Impossible'.

Despite the over-familiarity of the material, 'Airplane 2' manages to outclass dismal recent attempts at spoof movies, most notably the 'Scary Movie' series.

Funniest moment - MacCroskey shouts Stryker's surname and a man, misunderstanding him, punches out a woman. I do not endorse brutality towards women but it creases me up each time!

'Airplane 3', touted at the time, went unmade.

Made for a quick buck. (SPOILERS!)

Author: zardoz12 from Somewher in So-Cal.
1 January 2003

From what I can tell, "Airplane!" was the little film that could, a small picture that made loads of money. For whatever reason, the "Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker" comedy team was not connected to the sequel; instead film non-entity Ken Finkleman was given the task of writing and directing. What he delivered was the same motion picture, with most of the original gags, though now the focus was on spoofing the Space Shuttle and science fiction movies. What kills "Airplane II" is the bad comic timing, the feeling of deja vu (most of the orginal cast reprise their old roles,) and the self-conscious chintziness. A good example of the latter is the footage used in Stryker's flashback of the experimental space shuttle crash; it's the same Boeing 747 crash test footage used as a joke in-flight movie in "Airplane!" An even better example is the film's use of the "Battlestar Galactica" theme. It's like they built this film with off the shelf parts! Watchable only if you never saw the orginal, or never read "Mad Magazine."

Mostly funny.

Author: gridoon
20 April 2002

Yes, many of the gags do seem to have come out of the recycling bin. It's still a fairly funny film anyway. It's literally jam-packed with jokes (sometimes two or three are running on simultaneously, in the same frame) and if you don't like one, chances are it will be followed by a better one after only a few seconds. And the acting by almost everyone is very good; they never slip out of their characters. (**1/2)

What went wrong?

Author: kdryan from about 2 feet in front of your face...
16 June 2003

I find it hard to understand how someone can take a classic like 'Airplane!' and follow it up with this crap. Basically a rehash of the first genius film, 'Airplane II' recycles the same old jokes over and the few new ones that are there fall flat on their face. If you don't want to taint your enjoyment of Airplane! then skip this turkey.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]