IMDb > "We'll Meet Again" (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"We'll Meet Again" More at IMDbPro »

Age cannot wither it, nor custom stale...

Author: unclepete from Liverpool, England
11 March 2001

As a TV series that is nearly twenty years old, "We'll Meet Again" should be looking a little rough around the edges now. It is, however, a timeless classic worthy of inclusion in anybody's collection.

The story describes the effect on a small British village when an American Bomber Division lands during World War Two.

The feeling of 'old England' is captured beautifully, not least in the fabulous portrayal of stalwart shop keeper Albert Mundy by Ray Smith.

The series is long, weighing in at 690 minutes, but is very compelling as you are absorbed into the intricate history of the residents of the village and their interaction with the 'Yanks'.

The success of this show was phenomenal when first aired in the UK, and its conclusion brought about a national press campaign for a sequel, which was eventually commissioned for serialisation by a UK National Paper.

If you were there the first time, then I strongly urge you to invest in the beautiful DVD set available only on region 1 DVD.

If you love romance, nostalgia, or B-17s then this is for you!

My favourite ever TV series

Author: Kathy Richards (richardsk@supanet.com)
23 January 2002

I loved this series and have watched it several times. A well made, well acted production which was very evocative of the WWII period. My favourite actor, Joris Stuyck, played M/Sgt Chuck Ericson. I highly recommend this for anyone who enjoys a good romantic story. Beautifully filmed - it's such a pity there was no follow-up series.

Best Movie Ever !

Author: WeeNook from USA
27 June 2002

I purchased this series three years ago; and, I have watched it, at least, 20 times ! It is wonderful ! The direction is splendid ! The acting is superb ! Recently, I purchased the DVD so that I have a more 'permanent' copy. I have loaned it to people; and, they have thanked me profusely. It is simply WONDERFUL ! Superlatives fail me, I don't know what else to say ! I continually thank my lucky stars that prompted me to purchase it (I knew nothing about it) ! It is that good !

I rate this a 7.5 and highly recommend it

Author: Honda Seller
8 October 2014

I've seen enough war shows to last me a few lifetimes so I am definitely not a fan of war shows, however, this was well done and I enjoyed it.

I thought it was realistic and well acted. Too bad it only ran for one season. I'd have given it an 8 but for the ending not being complete.

I thought they did a decent job in tying up a couple of main relationships, having Sally and Mac get back together and Chuck return after having been missing but oh come on - couldn't they have at least let us see Chuck and Vi hug??! I think of the mindless footage wasted on Himey being petty or the strange yet rather meaningless storyline wherein Letty goes a bit crazy in the last episode.

The main relationship through the entire series was the affair of major Kiley and the Dr... and yet, how could they leave it up in the air in the end and not give us any sense either way who she chooses?! Sigh :\

Any way, a better ending than many series I've seen so I still highly recommend this show. I was able to view the entire series on youtube.

My uncle and aunt's romance was the real-life story of this series!

Author: Joni Linville from Ohio, USA
10 May 2014

I saw this TV show while I was doing overseas student teaching in the spring of 1982. There are 2 reasons why it has stuck with me - 1) it was really good, and 2) my uncle, in whose home I was staying while I taught in the UK, was the US military adviser for the show and his name appeared in the credits at the end of each episode!! I was so proud! His name was Lt. Col. Donald W. Brewer. He and my British-born Aunt Beryl's wartime romance was the real love story that was mirrored in the TV series. I have a full-page article/interview entitled "The real "We'll Meet Again"love story", from the newspaper they received at the time. It recounts the details of their whirlwind WWII romance and marriage and how it was that he was asked to read the script and give his opinion on the accuracy of the language, dress, and similar details of the US soldiers portrayed in the series.

Classic 80's TV series

Author: Karen Bywater (kazb_uk2002) from United Kingdom
18 January 2014

I remember watching this first time around. I have always had a fascination with anything from World War II. Anyone watching this now will think it's a bit lame. but I loved it. The theme tune sets the scene (a big band playing 'We'll meet again'). It tells the story of a small market town being invaded by a US Air Force crew and the effect it has on their lives. Some bits are a bit naff but on the whole it's a good series. Just remember, it's 80's drama...nothing compared to Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, but a good representation of what life may have been like during the early part of the forties, when the yanks were 'over here, over paid and over sexed' as it was so delicately put :)

Some satisfying elements if you ignore the screaming incongruities.

Author: jehaccess6 from United States
21 June 2012

I suppose I approached the material from the angle of a WW2 buff instead of a romance/drama. The script would flow along well enough for a while and then some ridiculous plot development came along and spoiled the whole process.

The attack on the Yank airfield was ridiculous. The ME110 that roared in dropped its bombs on a shed instead of hitting some far more lucrative target such as a fuel depot or ammunition dump. Then the pilot proceeds to attack a lone cyclist and a group of women farmworkers. The Yanks seem remarkably unconcerned by the attack and no attempt to intercept the intruder is even considered. A wandering Yank in a Jeep blunders on to the farmland attack scene with no apparent reason why he should be wandering about on remote farmland except to allow him to meet his future wife.

The remarkable stupidity of the Letty character really stood out. She was so eager to get away from her stifling home life that she deliberately got pregnant with her Yank boyfriend to lock in his commitment. When the first boyfriend died, she latched onto the first new Yank that showed any interest.

The romance between the Yank major and the British doctor really lacked any force. Especially considering the risk the Yank was taking in his pursuit of a locally prominent married woman. The quite attractive daughter of the doctor would have eagerly welcomed any interest on the major's part. Her rejection in order to allow the major to concentrate on her mother would have likely led to her drawing the attention of the Major's commanding officer to the sordid conduct of the major.

The invincible composure of the injured husband of the doctor was astounding. He was content to allow another man to break up his family in order to avoid a confrontation. His wife's betrayal was not worthy of challenge.

The fact that Susannah York was about 50 years old in this production was too much to overlook. She was too far past her prime to be convincing as a woman who could arouse such passion in a much younger man. In all the closeups, we see that all the foundation is loosing the battle with the set lighting.

Well, this is not the worst historical drama ever, but it will never take top honors in my book.

A missed opportunity, a major disappointment

Author: hjmsia49 from United States
25 September 2011

I looked forward to this series with great anticipation as I like intelligent interchange between Americans and Brits. I found too many of the characters so stereotypical and lacking in believability. I enjoyed seeing some old pros like June Barry (Forsyte Saga) and Stuart Wilson (Anna Kerenina)again trying to raise level of the performances. The lead characters, the British doctor and the American Major lacked any chemistry in their vain attempt to bring some conviction to their relationship. The doctor's invalid husband raised the level of British stiff upper lip stoicism to absurd levels. Americans Mario, Hymie and Elmer were little more than cartoon characters. The series was further burdened by plot twists that strained credulity. It is obvious they borrowed a post war B-17 as their major prop. The problem was that their B-17, named Ginger Rogers, was an unpainted silver version, totally different than the brown versions used by the 8th Air Force. It stood out like a sore thumb alongside the actual bombers used during the war. It had a chin turret lacking in machine guns. Every time the silver streak returned to its base, you could anticipate the "wounded aboard flare" as it landed and you waited to see which of Lettie's boy friends would expire. In addition, can you believe that a German Me 110, with an inviting American base close by, would bother to strafe a farm girl in a field and a lonely cyclist on a country road? Can you believe an American airman, who bails out over Belgium and manages to stroll through German occupied France, cross the Pyranees into Spain and Portugal where he hops a British planes to return to his base? Can you believe a 15 year old American tail gunner who shoots down two German fighters on his first mission? While June Barry was excellent as the poor anxious mother and shopkeeper, her hairdo was the best of the entire female cast. She always looked like she just returned from the beauty parlor. If any series required a sequel, this one certainly did with so many plots left hanging. We can only ponder the final fate of the doctor and her two Majors, the Mundy siblings, the flirtatious Rosie and if the crew of the Ginger Rogers 2 would survive the war? We'll never know? Finally, "We'll Meet Again" was a very popular song during WWII by British songstress Vera Lynn. It would have added to this production.

You can't borrow mine.......get your own !!

Author: Michele from United Kingdom
22 April 2011

Love it, love it some more.....c'mon now - my favourite TV series ever!! Last saw it in the 80's when it aired, caught it again on digital rerun (just finished).

Great cast, Michael J Shannon and Susannah York are great, as are June Barry and Ray Smith.

Corny, soft focus filming, romantic, funny and sometimes a little reflective......as is the subject matter.

Just wish I had not seen it on the telly and still had it to watch as if new......go on - dare you to enjoy it.

oh, have bought the DVD set and both books.....no you can't borrow them!!

Nothing but stereotypes

Author: drbetteridge from England
30 March 2011

I have somehow managed to sit through many of the episodes while my husband watched, and I can say that this is probably the worst bit of television I have seen. The American accents are horrendous, the acting insufferable, and the whole mood of the show nothing but largely untrue stereotypes and intolerance. What a complete waste of time. I can't understand any positive reviews of this show. Americans are portrayed as loud and obnoxious, given dialogue comprised entirely of the few characteristic "yankee-isms." It becomes very tiresome, very quickly. The British are all portrayed as small minded, backward yokels who have never travelled farther than the end of their road. I know it was not all peaches and cream at the time, but this is more like a cartoon... exaggerated to the point of pain.