IMDb > "Tales of the Gold Monkey" (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Tales of the Gold Monkey"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Tales of the Gold Monkey" More at IMDbPro »

They don't make them like this anymore

Author: NeoLeo from Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
30 August 2003

Contrary to popular consensus, TotGM was not an Indiana Jones knockoff, although the popularity of those movies was probably responsible for Gold Monkey getting its shot on television. No, Gold Monkey was much more in line with many older adventure movies, and creator Donald Bellisario insisted it was inspired mostly by the 1939 movie Only Angels Have Wings.

Regardless of where it came from, though, this was a very enjoyable series. As a boy of 9 at the time it originally aired, I was absolutely enamored with it (so much so, in fact, that my father still calls me "Jake" to this day). Now, as a man of 30, I have managed to find copies of all the episodes, and I find that I still love it. I may love it even more now that I'm older and more able to appreciate the historical references in the show, which is set in the Pacific in 1938. Spies and political intrigues abound in every single episode, and provide the perfect backdrop for an adventure story.

This series is clearly a product of early 80s American television, showing quite a bit of similarity in structure and production values with nearly every other series produced at the time. Gold Monkey, though, was far from formulaic, and very original. How many shows can you name that had an intelligent one-eyed dog that was regarded in every respect as an equal member of the cast?

I will never understand why it didn't last more than a single season, but at least I can enjoy what little there is. "Tales of the Gold Monkey" will always have a special place in my heart and on my video shelf.

Great Show

Author: mailrefuge from Los Angeles, CA
6 August 2005

I remember watching this show as a 10 year old. It was my favorite show. I was crushed when it got cancelled after only 1 season. I couldn't believe such a great show got cancelled while lousy Knight Rider ran on. How could a kid not like the adventure, the exotic locales, the Cutter's Goose? I looked for the show a few years ago online and couldn't find anything. I recently found a site doing a Google search. I purchase the DVD collection for old time sake, trying to relive the past. I figured it would never live up to my childhood memories.

So far I've gone through about 8 episodes and wow!!! I find myself enjoying it as much as ever. Who would have thought that after more than 20 years.

The casting as top notch, not like today where a pretty face is all that is required. Jake, Corky, Sara, Louie, Princess Koji, Jack and the Reverend were perfect. The chemistry between them is flawless. You can't help but like all the characters. The story lines are very 80's, simplistic but very enjoyable. The show has a subtle sense of humor I probably didn't appreciate as a youngster.

Give me a beaten old seaplane over Kitt any day of the week.

Drinks at the Monkey Bar are on me :)

The Gold Monkey . . .

Author: D Meyer from Chicago
31 May 2005

. . . was an absolutely fantastic show. I was only twelve when it aired, and given my age it holds the same place in my heart that movies like "Indiana Jones" hold (and yes, I know the former did not derive from the latter). It was fantastic in the true sense of the word. At the same time, it was light-hearted and fun and adventurous. I have ever since wanted to visit Boragora, and was disappointed to find that the place didn't exist.

I searched for hours on-line looking for the name of this show. For whatever reason, the image of it popped into my head a few months back, and I could not for the life of me remember it. Hours on-line cured that.

For all you Gold Monkey fans out there, you can now purchase the season on DVD.

I've seen them too.....wish I could see them again.

Author: bognorgravis from uk
30 December 2003

Yep I saw it when I was living abroad but never when I was in the United States strangely enough.

I was in my late teens I loved it, so did my family. I would love to see it again but for all the internet searches I have done over the years this is the first time I have ever got a reply to a search for it.

I would like to find out who has the tapes and see if they are going to release them on DVD. It is set in a very nostalgic era and I think it would go down well today even though it was a TV series.

If you find anywhere broadcasting it please let me know.

Not just a kid's show

Author: gdjobs from United States
17 June 2005

I noticed when looking up this show, that most of the reviewers were just kids when this show was out. I was about 30 when this came out, & granted I may have just been a big kid, but I liked this show quite a lot.

The broad natures of the characters was a nice use of clichés to set up a pretty cool little world. Evil Nazies, great side kick, beautiful babe, comic dog & iron jawed hero. I was always surprised when it went off after one season. Seemed like it had a nice world with lots of angles left to explore.

Eh, well, lots of shows I've liked were one season wonders. I guess I'm not a good demographic model for advertisers.

I'm looking forward to getting the DVD. The Web has been a wonderful thing for finding rare gems like this.

A Great Show Cancelled Before Its Time

Author: RedRaven from Arlington, VA
23 December 1998

"Tales of the Gold Monkey" was a fun romp of a show. Rather than being a rip-off of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," it was a show inspired by classic movies, such as "Only Angels Have Wings," with a great cast including Stephen Collins, Caitlin O'Heaney, Jeff MacKay, and the late Roddy McDowell. Running only one season, the show never made it into syndication, although the USA Network ran it in the late 80's.

Cool show!

Author: culwin
11 August 2001

This was a cool show! I'm surprised it didn't last longer, I mean this seems like perfect fare for the early '80s, with Indiana Jones and all. I guess it was a big hit with kids, but not so much with adults. It was awesome to me, but then I was only 9 at the time, so what did I know??

Excellent Adventure Tale

Author: Mork-4 from London, England
13 May 1999

A great programme that I remember watching in the early 80's on British TV. It was shown in England in about 1982 (I was 12, my brother 16). We both loved it, but it was only on for one series and then vanished into thin air. I would love to see this again!

Reminiscent of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but with a classier, darker feel to the stories. The characters were less one dimensional, but still appealed to the kid in me. I always loved the flying "boat plane"!

Jack the Dog

Author: Rich La Bonte (flatrich) from Hollywood CA
18 February 2011

I watched this show way back when it came out but only saw about a half a dozen episodes. Some of these also appeared as reruns a while later, but never the entire series. So I was delighted when the DVD box was announced at last and even paid the folks at Amazon in advance of its release. Now, don't get me wrong kids: this is a TV series by the guys who did Magnum p.i. and Quantum Leap (and J.A.G and N.C.I.S) and it is really a TV series from that Magnum period all the way. Studio sets, stock shots, very familiar character actors and that horny, brassy Mike Post music (again, like Magnum) screaming inappropriately everywhere. But this series is a gas, man! It's fun! It's silly! It's TV! AND it has Jack - undoubtedly the smartest dog in TV history! And Jack talks! Well, sort of. One bark for "no" and two barks for "yes" and he cracks me up in every episode. Rent it, buy it, I don't care. You'll thank me later. (Arf, arf!)

I would love to see this show again!

Author: Steffe (mrviolence@hotmail.com) from Motala, Sweden
9 July 2000

I was just a kid when this show was on TV, but I still remember it with a warm feeling. I was a real adventure show, with a lot of cool stories. I doubt that I would worship it if I saw it again, but it would be a great trip of nostalgia. Plus it can´t be all bad.