IMDb > "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Spider-Man and His Amazing Show

Author: Pimpin` Critic 69 from Your Critic of Critics
1 March 2003

As a kid I used to love this show. Unlike the Superfriends it balanced the humor with nice action sequences. Superfriends at times were a bit too silly but this show balanced it well. As well as having good plots. This was a very enjoyable show to watch and Iceman and firestar were amazing friends.

The only flaw this show has is that Frank Welker's Iceman sounds too much like Fred from Scooby-Doo.

I don't remember lasting as long as it says it did.

Author: Aaron1375
21 April 2003

I was thinking this cartoon was only on a couple of years, but according to imdb it was on for a good while. Well, I watched it when I was a kid and I remember it being one of my favorite cartoons...though when I started to collect the comics I realized it was a kind of weird team-up. Iceman being a member of the X-men and I am not sure how Firestar was used in the comics back then. I do know that it worked and I am not the only one who liked this series otherwise it wouldn't have been on for so long. One episode I remember had the three friends and some other marvel superheroes going to this house of some villain (it might have been Kraven), and the villain uses the superheroes weaknesses against them. He pitted Firestar and Iceman against each other, and the Submariner accidentally swam in a pool full of alcohol. In the end Spiderman saved the day, as he didn't have an apparent weakness.

GOOD FUN

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
8 March 2002

Spider-Man cartoons have always been great and I think this series was probably the best.

Spider-Man teamed up with Iceman and Firestar every week to battle all kinds of villains. It was great fun watching the three superheroes battling the likes of Dracula. The voice artists responsible for the cartoon characters really seemed to put some emotion into the characters.

To the best of my knowledge this show hasn't been repeated in the UK that often since it first aired. I would recommend it to anyone who likes Spider-Man cartoons. And what can I say about Iceman? Wow!

Try and hunt down some videos of this show if you can.

Ready, Spider-Friends? Go for it!

Author: Indyfan82
28 October 2001

This was one of my favorite Spider-Man cartoons I saw growing up. I also saw the other 80s Spider-Man cartoon where he's by himself, but I liked it better with Iceman and Firestar. There were more supervillians and more guest superheroes (like Captain America, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, and the X-Men) It was a very fun series which I very much enjoyed.

Spider-friends, Go for it!

Author: Mr_Garak from Cuba
29 June 2004

I loved this show as a kid, Spider-man, Iceman and Firestar all teaming up against the evil villains of new york city such as the Green Goblin, Kraven The Hunter and The Scorpion and many more.

I have a few of the episodes still on tape and I still love the show, even though the animation is seriously dated, the voice acting is superb for an 80's cartoon.

Frank Welker is easily recognisable as Bobby "Iceman" Drake in his Freddie "Scooby Doo" Jones voice as is Dan Gilvezan as Peter Parker/Spiderman voice as it's exactly the same voice he used for Bumblebee in Transformers.

I didn't recognize Linda Gary as Firestar though, guess that's what made her such a good voice actor.

But it was a classic show, alright it might not have the on-going storylines and spidey facing moral dilemmas as the 90's and MTV Spiderman shows have, but it was the 80's every kid back then who was a spider-fan loved these shows.

Bring on the DVD's of this show and the other Spider-man show of 1981 :)

Definitely worth checking out!

Author: (Nic_hse) from New York
3 November 2001

This was and is one of best Spider-Man cartoons ever made. Previous Spider-Man cartoons (there were two) didn't explain the origins of Spider-Man or his enemies. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends does this for Spider-Man, Ice-Man, Firestar and several of the villains. There were however some differences between the comics and the TV series. I must add that these differences will likely only be noticeable to Marvel comics fans.

First in the comics, Spider-Man and Ice-Man are much older than Firestar(10 years at least), so the idea of them all going to school together doesn't make any sense. Second the way Bobby Drake transforms into Ice-Man is way overblown, in the comics he merely wills the transformation and a coating of ice forms around his body. Lastly Ice-Man and Firestar were not members of the X-Men at the same time as shown in Firestar's origin story; when Firestar became a member of the X-Men, Ice-Man had long left the team.

Anyway these differences were probably done on purpose, the emphasis being on entertainment rather than realism. I enjoyed watching Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends twenty years ago and is definitely worth checking out!

Not too "serious series", but still enjoyable

Author: Rouge_19 from Hungary
14 July 2002

I loved this TV show as a kid, without having a problem with Spidey having friends.Firestar was my ideal, I loved Spidey, and Iceman had great sense of humour. Admire, emotions & laugh; I think these three things can get you totally attached to the main characters.

And here comes the big BUT. Knowing the original story, the "webisodes" of this series is like seeing Peter Parker's life in pink. His problems are always solved so easily, because his friends are always there to help him out, which of course they should do, but not having to face any bigger problems makes it less realistic. The other problem is that the series persists in ending every new adventure in 30 minutes. I personally hate it, when any kind of story is cut with a "To be continued..." sign, but from the point of view of the story, it can be useful if the writer has more time to work out the story, or add another great turn before the end.

All in all I think this series is like Peter Parker himself, before he had gotten his powers; a little odd, but loveable.

Great Show in My Opinion...

Author: ICEMANMUTANTX from New York
4 May 2002

I suppose most Spidey fans must despise this show because of it's rather small connection to the comics, but the main reason I liked it was because Spidey got Iceman (Bobby Drake) and Firestar (Angelica Jones) from the X-Men on his side, Iceman was mostly a neglected character in the Marvel Universe although he was one of the original 5 X-Men. Firestar didn't even exist until she was introduced into the show, but she later made her first comic appearance in Uncanny X-Men #193 . For the most part I watched the show because Iceman was my favorite superhero, Spider-Man still kicks ass though, Firestar was pretty cool..or should I say hot... I really enjoyed the show and you should check it out although by today's standards, this show is considered 80's trash to new fans, it is a guilty pleasure of mine and many other Spider-Man fans...

every thing spider-man did should be on DVD

Author: fish4spider-1 from United Kingdom
19 December 2005

this was good but not as good as the solo spider-man cartoons of the 80s these cartoons we never or hardly see the daily bugle why Ted Swartz never did do the voice of spider-man in this show is strange as this show was i think a follow up to the solo series of spider-man in the 80's though i did like the x-men as guests and seeing spider-man in the danger room other guest stars in show were the incredible hulk Dr strange prince namor captain America, x-men. some of the best shows here are the origin of the spider-friends the origin of firestar the origin of iceman. and my favourite along came a spider(spider-man's origin) for me tells spider-man origin the best out of all the spider-man cartoons

i hope these will be on DVD soon

fantastic

Author: ross robinson from england
6 January 2004

Spider Man and his amazing friends has given me the greatest memeories i had when i watched it. I remember this programme when i bought a video which contained some of the episodes, i remember the characters Iceman and the Firestar. I give this programme a great score 10 out of 10 because it is a programme that brings the memories back to you.