IMDb > "Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Scooby's worst show ever.

Author: IrockGswift (IrockGswift@aol.com) from east orange, new jersey
11 February 2003

Scooby's laff-a-lympics had enter it's third season and along with another Scooby Doo cartoon. I enjoyed Scooby up into his annoying nephew came in the picture. Since his brave-hearted nephew came on the scene the chase scenes died down. I loved the chase scenes in the Scooby Doo cartoons especially when Scoob and Shaggy disguise themselves to get away from the villains. Till this day I wonder how this little pup became so popular that Hanna-Barbera took Fred,Daphne,and Velma off the show. In 1983 this mutt had his own show (puppy new adventures) supposedly a spin-off. Then the rest of the gang returned a year later with the show titled "Scooby's New Mysteries". I wonder how this mutt kept five years of popularity without the whole Scooby mysteries inc. gang.

Decent entertainment for kids, disappointing for fans

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
28 January 2010

I grew up on Scooby Doo Where Are You, and I still love it. It is one of my favourite cartoons along with Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Peter Pan and the Pirates and Tom and Jerry. This show though is good for kids, the voices are good(Don Messick and Casey Kasem are perfect as Scooby and Shaggy), the theme tune is tolerable and it has some nice animation in the first season. However it is rather disappointing. I normally don't mind Scrappy, but when he appears to be like the main character, it gets annoying fast. Complete with the over-used catchphrase Puppy Power and ear-grating voice, Scrappy is more annoying than usual. Also half the gang are missing after the first year, somehow it didn't feel like Scooby Doo. And the jokes and the story lines after that point were in general lame and unoriginal(though the first season did have some tired jokes and could have had more edge, not much atmosphere here though somewhat fun), very little chasing monsters or unmasking the baddies. As for the villains in the season where all the gang were present, only Lady Vampire and Night Ghoul are the ones I deem memorable, others were either forgettable(Ghost of Jeremiah Pratt and Sky Skeleton) or too obvious(Alien and Blue Scarab) and most while not particularly inspired are acceptable. All in all, not as bad as Shaggy and Scooby Doo:Get a Clue, but this show is disappointing. 4/10 for the animation, voices, theme tune and the fact it is nice for kids. Bethany Cox

excruciating to watch unless you are very young or very stupid

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
17 June 2006

While I have never been a fan of the original Scooby-Doo (due to its horrid production values), it appears like Shakespeare compared to this pile of crap brought to us by Hanna-Barbera! Without a doubt, Scrappy-Doo is about the most annoying and awful character created for children (and this includes the Teletubbies as well as Tommy the Tapeworm). Whose bright idea was it to create some sort of short mutant dog and enable it to speak and then saddle the Scooby-Doo characters with it?! Whoever it is deserves to die or watch this show (I think death is preferable). The bottom line is that the little dog is simply unfunny, annoying and grates on the nerves--and this is only in the BETTER episodes!! After many years, it would have been better to just end the franchise than create this mess! I can see why in the live-action Scooby-Doo movie they made the villain Scrappy-Doo--since practically everyone hates him!

The end of the Scooby era.............

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2 December 2003

What really killed off the Scooby and Shaggy franchise? SCRAPPY!!!

By the time the series switched networks and went from CBS to ABC in the late 1970's and really into the 1980's,the show suffered a severe puncture wound from which it will never recover from thus ending the beloved franchise of Scooby Doo and the gang. I have read all the comments about this and they're 100% right! Scrappy Doo was the most annoyingest character imaginable and if you really watch the episodes you'll see why this is very so. Also,the producers killed off the rest of the gang and basically leaving Scooby,Scrappy and Shaggy in there own show which was a total bore,but in my opinion it was total bull**** from the get go and from there the end of the Scooby era. This was in the 1980's,when Hanna-Barbera cranked out a sea of dull ass cartoons and sorry characters thus using the same format in each of the episodes and a prime example of this was during the 1980's which featured shows like "The Flintstones Mysteries","The Smurfs","The Incredible Shmoo" and not to even mention "The New Adventures Of Peebles and Bamm-Bamm" "A Pup Named Scrappy Doo","The Thirteen Ghosts Of Scooby Doo","Godzilla" to name a few.

There was one episode in particular where they put Vincent Price in as one of the lead characters,and by the end of the decade,Hanna-Barbera decided it was time to kill off the show since it became dull and boring.

Scrappy rescues Scooby-Doo!

Author: cardinal1 from United States
22 December 2004

This series is most noted for the introduction of Scrappy-Doo, Scooby's nephew. Some say that this is what killed off the long-running series, but they're wrong; Scrappy actually *saved* the show from oblivion.

By the late 1970s, the run of Scooby-Doo shows was losing steam and needed something to revitalize it; an injection of "Puppy Power" did the trick. Even when the show went through various format changes (which would've happened with or without Scrappy), people kept watching and kept the ratings high because of that precocious pup. Indeed, that was why he stuck around season after season for almost a decade. Had he never come along, Scooby might now be as obscure and forgotten as Goober or Dinky.

"The Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show" marks the beginning of a long, strong run for Scooby-Doo, and for that reason alone deserves a special place in Hanna-Barbera history.

A great team! Scooby Dooby Doo and Scrappy Dappy Doo!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
6 July 2004

This was another one of the Scooby-Doo cartoons I liked especially that was when Scrappy-Doo made his debut! I thought he and Scooby-Doo are a great team. This was an updated version of Scooby-Doo Where Are You? and this time in this cartoon Scrappy-Doo was the newest member of the group. In this updated version we had some of the original voice actors from the other series Scooby-Doo Where Are You? including Don Messick who returned as Scooby-Doo and Casey Kasem as Shaggy and Frank Welker returned as Fred, Heather North as Daphne and Patricia Stevens as Velma and Lennie Weinrib did the voice of Scrappy-Doo. But in the other Scooby-Doo cartoons Don Messick did Scrappy-Doo. Scrappy-Doo is funny and a cute little character! I was glad he was in most of the Hanna-Barbera Super Star Scooby-Doo Movies like Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers, The Ghoul School and The Reluctant Werewolf.

User Rating: 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: SCOOBY DOOBY DOO AND SCRAPPY DAPPY DOO TOO!

Scrappy's the Best!

Author: Cylex from England
29 September 2001

Scrappy is my favourite character in this series. He's cute, brave, funny, loyal, enthusiastic, articulate & modest. He adores his Uncle Scooby and gives him the credit for everything. Although Scrappy often gets Scooby & Shaggy into trouble they're still fond of him. I don't care what people say. With Scrappy the show got better, not worse. And if he really was unpopular, surely they would have written him out? Thank you, Hanna Barbera for creating him.

Scrappy Doo, saturday morning's answer to Oliver Brady.

Author: dootuss from PA
23 October 2001

That's right! That's what i said. Saturday morning's answer to Oliver Brady! How dare those guys over at Hanna Barbera make such an annoying waste of time like Scrappy Doo! And make an all time great on saturday morning turn into a horrible piece of dog poo in a 30 minute span! Scrappy, always respect your elders especially your uncle Scooby. But what did he do? He came to the show, and screwed it up! Making Scooby look bad in an instant! The end of a great cartoon was foreshadowed when this little mutt wandered along! Where's his parents when you need them? Probably couldn't stand putting up with the little runt, and possibly blackmailed Scooby into taking care of him. The show's plots weren't scary anymore when this little twit came along. He probably made the dork in the costume laugh until he died! Really, Scooby must be ashamed of his nephew. The poor dog must have suffered a cardiac arrest after he did an episode with his show killing nephew. Bottom line: Scrappy Doo killed Scooby Doo, and killed Saturday morning cartoons forever!

Please please please watch classic Scooby-Doo instead!

Author: Ghetto_superstar1989 from Some place wondering what the producers of Scooby-Doo were think
7 November 2002

Who thought of this?

This show is annoying and I'm saying this about a classic cartoon (meaning that it's old). I dunno who thought of the idea of Scooby having a side kick.

First of all, Scrappy's voice is annoying. He sounds just like Meowth from pokemon and believe me, that's annoying! Not to mention that he looks stupid saying "da da da da, PUPPY POWER!"

Dootuss was right, Scooby MUST be ashamed for having a nephew like that.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]