IMDb > "Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo" More at IMDbPro »

Puppy Power!

Author: TheTVConnoisseur from TheFilmConnoisseur
1 July 2003

This is the show that finally killed the Scooby-Doo series. I'll be honest and say that I enjoyed the first season of the show. For one thing the addition of Scrappy was something new and fresh to the series and it was funny when Scrappy would say "da, da, da, daa, PUPPY POWER!" and run of to fight the villain. Forcing Scooby to go save him. The show was doing good with the gang still solving mysteries and all. The show had some major flaws in it's first season with the hidden jokes out the window and the villains being the worst in the series. Still I guess the familiarity with the characters made the show watchable and a bit enjoyable.

Then the unthinkable happened! The gang suddenly disappeared, there were no more solving mysteries and it was just Scooby, Shaggy, and Scrappy (The Three "S") just wandering around. That's when everything went downhill. The show became extremely lame and unwatchable, above all Scrappy became the certain of attention. Thus making him the most annoying character ever to be conceived.

He worked in the first season because like Scooby-Dum in The Scooby-Doo show he wasn't the focus but once Scrappy became the focus the series came to a sudden end.

What the F-word was this?

Author: Pimpin` Critic 69 from Your Critic of Critics
28 June 2002

Scrappy-Doo SUCKS! WHAT THE HECK WAS THIS?!?! The first season was alright because it had the gang solving mysteries like usual but the only difference was that they had Scrappy-Doo as there new member. Scrappy was okay at first and it was funny when he used to say "Puppy Power!" but that only lasted a year. After that year when all the characters except Fred, Velma, and sometimes Daphne were gone and there wasn't any more mysteries it just began to suck. Scrappy just got really annoying! I felt like sticking "Puppy Power" up his you know what.

Horrible show! PLEASE AVOID THIS PROGRAM!

The most dynamic series by far (with the exception of Scrappy)

Author: ajfhoward from Berkshire, England
2 November 2007

This was actually my favorite series of Scooby Doo when I was younger. I thought each episode had more of an edge to it and the villains had a lot of creative thought put into them (and even very scary and believable as well). Some of the best episodes were "I Left My Neck In San Francisco", "Twenty Thousand Screams Under The Sea", "The Ghoul, The Bat And The Ugly" and "When You Wish Upon A Star Creature". If you have never seen these episodes please do. This series was a bit of a mixed bag though as there were other episodes which didn't seem to have the same kind of edge to them such as "Rocky Mountain YIIII!" and "The Ransom Of Scooby Chief". As like the series before it, it was very well put together, interesting storyline and brilliantly drawn. As everyone says though, it would have been so much better without Scrappy Doo. The character was tiresome and distracting to the story that was being told.

First Season Watchable: Beyond That Deterioration: The Beginning of the End

Author: voicemaster71 from United States
5 January 2007

I am a purist fan of the original Scooby Doo formula. I felt the best shows were the classic Where Are You series and I also loved the Scooby Movies and his late 70's adventures that featured Scooby Dum, and even Blue Falcon and Dynomutt and I also loved the Laff a Lympics and even the movie, Scooby Doo Goes Hollywood, but then disaster struck in 1979. The introduction of Scrappy Doo!!

Now believe it or not Scooby fans, the only Scrappy shows I liked were: The first season in 1979 because the entire gang, Fred, Daphne, Velma, and Shaggy were still together solving mysteries and the two part episodes that reunited the full cast in the New Scooby Doo Mysteries of 1984. I'll never forget episodes that featured the Lady Vampire of the Bay and the Minotaur and even the final episode where Shaggy and Scooby are abducted and Scrappy gets two of his old neighborhood pup pals to help rescue them. The late Lennie Weinrib voiced over Scrappy in this one good season and his Scrappy was known for saying stuff like "Ruff and double ruff!" as well as his "Puppy Power" bugle call. Weinrib's Scrappy at least sounded like a tough pup from the Bronx. At least in this series, the gang had an even number and in split ups, it was simple, you had Fred and the girls and Shaggy and the dogs. It's also interesting to note that Velma's voice changed during this season. Pat Stevens had been doing her voice since 1976, but she ultimately got replaced by a lady named Maria Frumkin. This would probably be the only Scooby and Scrappy series I would buy if it makes it to DVD.

The second year was the start of the series slow gradual decay. In the second year, the series ran alongside Richie Rich cartoons and got blended in with them. There were three short episodes each week (The SuperFriends did the same thing that year). And at that point, the gang was disbanded. Only Shaggy, Scooby, and Scrappy Doo were in the series and all they did was travel all over and get into comical jams. No more mystery solving. This show was played strictly for laughs. Look for a similar review on the Richie Rich Scooby and Scrappy Doo page. If the show had to have a reduced cast, at least it was evenly divided. Unfortunately, Don Messick took over the Scrappy voice and did double duty as Scooby and Scrappy. Anything to save money I guess.

The third year was probably the most mediocre by having the three of them working for the Fearless Detective Agency owned by Shaggy's unseen Uncle Fearless, but their attempts at solving mysteries were just not the same without Fred, Daphne, and Velma in the picture.

In the final analysis, the only Scooby series with Scrappy I would recommend would be the 1979 year with the whole gang still together.

Good one!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
15 July 2005

When this show was on I watched it every time I could! I thought that the characters were really funny and all had great personalities. The animation in My opinion was crisp, clean, and really clear. Not to mention beautiful! Most of the characters in this show are like the hilarious Looney Tunes characters that we all love. in My opinion these characters are the funnies and talented ever seen. In fact, The things that goes on in this series' cartoons are in My opinion nuts which that is what makes them hilarious! There are so many to like and laugh at and the silly things they do! If you like the original Looney Tunes then I strongly recommend that you watch this show!

Scooby Doo *NOT* Scrappy Too!

Author: Jedi Clerk from Massachusetts, USA
3 December 2000

Well... Scoob & Shag and the gang were great. They're still as popular today with the kiddies as they were 20(!) years ago!

BUT... it is a fairly commonly-held perception that Scrappy Doo was the WORST thing that ever happened to saturday morning cartoons. Who at Hanna-Barbera decided that Scooby Doo needed a sidekick? And one with an annoying voice at well. Sure, his foolhardy bravado provided a counterpoint to Shaggy and Scooby's cowardice but for most people it was the end of an enjoyable series... and a premonition of the sludge that was soon to flood the Saturday morning airwaves.

A Good Show for Kids

Author: konway7 from United States
6 March 2008

This show started out with great mystery episodes. I think everyone is in the first 15 or 16 episodes. After that, the show started playing short episodes with Shaggy, Scooby doo, and Scrappy doo.

I think Hanna Barbera Productions had to change 20 minutes episodes into short episodes. Some of the voice actors became unavailable. After 15 or 16 episodes, Frank Welker (who played Fred) became unavailable. I believe the voice of Velma changes after first 11 episodes, because the first voice actress (Patricia Stevens)who played Velma was unavailable due to health reasons. So Marla Frumkin took over for the role of Velma. Lennie Weinrib who played Scrappy also became unavailable. I heard that this had to do with some of the voice actors being involved in the big 1980 strike. So Don Messick ended up playing both Scooby doo and Scrappy doo.

And the network ordered the Hanna Barbera studio to make more episodes. So they ended making shorts with Shaggy, Scooby doo, and Scrappy doo. I love the first 16 episodes, because these episodes had to do with mysteries. I liked other ones. But not as much as the first 16 episodes. But I cannot blame Hanna Barbera, because this happened due to the unavailability of voice actors and actresses who were involved in 1980 strike.

Scooby's longest show to date

Author: Stephen Holloway from United States
29 October 2005

From 1979-1983. Scooby was with Scrappy during the series. During the 79-80 season, the whole gang was there. From 80-83, the chickens were there with Scrappy. Lennie first voiced Scrappy again just for the 79-80 season. Then Don took over for the rest of the series. During the 82-83 season, Scrappy was with Yabba Doo for one segment during each episode. Then, in an partnership with Ruby Spears Enterprise the Pete the Pup series conclude the then hour long show. Today, the last season only has the first half with Yabba. Bommerang currently brodcasts the first and third years with the second and last seasons rarely seen. Overall, as of now, it's Scooby's longest show to date and it's not to bad. As an Scooby fan it's good but animation fans may not like it that much.

Final Scooby Score: 9 out of 10 Final Animation Score: 5 out of 10

Scooby and Scrappy-Doo

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
24 May 2005

After the success of Scooby-Doo, Where are You, they decided to give Scooby and Shaggy their own show. But unfortunately, they added a new character that spoilt Scooby-Doo success forever. They invented a new show with a new title, Scooby and Scrappy-Doo. It was Scrappy-Doo that made this show a complete failure, probably for both adults and kids together. Scrappy was the stupid brave puppy that always looked ready to beat someone up. Scooby and Shaggy were getting scared of the villain, and they were also trying to stop him. Scooby-Doo doesn't need any little annoying bastard puppy nephews. If they wanted Scooby-Doo to be more successful, they should have either killed or never thought up Scrappy. This was just poor, maybe your kids will prefer it!

Scooby and Scrappy-Poo

Author: FangsNL from Netherlands
5 June 2005

I've always loved (and I still do by the way) Scooby-Doo and his gang. The first series, which started in 1969, were funny and had interesting monsters. Of course all the monsters turned out to be criminals dressed up as monsters to scare people away, but... who cares? 'Scooby and Scrappy-Doo' began in 1979. Fred, Daphne and Velma were put aside for most of the adventures and Scrappy-Doo filled the gap. Scooby and Shaggy (the two best things of the entire series) remained.

Scooby, Scrappy and Shaggy's voices are very well done, but the voices of the additional characters aren't. For instance, the 'cat man' (episode 21, season 2) sounds terrible and annoying. Although made ten years later, the animation didn't improve. It actually got worse. The drawing is bad and irregular and the same goes for the animation itself. And there's even more to dislike. Especially if you don't like hearing "p-p-puppy p-p-power" and "i'll splat him" coming from Scrappy every two or three minutes.

A bigger part for Scrappy is probably one of the things which destroyed this series. But this is also the fault of the script writers. Most of the episodes (except the ones from season 1) haven't got anything to do with ghouls and ghosts, the jokes are bad and the characters constantly say basically the same.

So, to sum it all up: bad drawing and animation, bad jokes, Scrappy and bad episodes. Stay away from this! It's very unpleasant.

4 out of 10 / 1* out of 5*