IMDb > "Newhart" (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Newhart"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Newhart" More at IMDbPro »

Wonderful

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
9 January 2000

Newhart was a classic, smart and hilarious show. Bob Newhart is hilarious here. The humor, which was in no way directed at sexual issues, was great and refreshing. The series' quality never declined in quality and was great throughout it's entire run. The final episode probably being the best of all.

Hilarious

Author: goleafs84 from Seattle, Washington
18 November 2003

That's how I describe "Newhart" in one word. I've always enjoyed Bob Newhart's dry humor and wit.

I liked almost all of the characters on the show. The only one I wished stayed for the entire run was Kirk Devane (Steven Kampmann). He was hilarious the way he lies and the one episode that sticks out with me was when he produced and stared in his own commercial with Dick's wife Joanna for his diner. He does the commercial like the old Ronco ads from the 70s ("How much would you pay for this hamburger? Well don't answer yet...."). Then he says Joanna paid this outrageous price and the look on her face was priceless.

The other episode that sticks out with me was when Dick goes to a Boston Celtics game and has courtside seats. He apparently gets kicked out of the seat I believe because it was someone else's seats and he had to stand outside in the aisle area. Then I believe it was Larry Bird goes hobbling out of the game to the Celtic's team clubhouse, which became the perfect set up for the parody of the "Mean" Joe Greene Coke commercial from 1980. That was a classic.

The final episode was the best and ultimate way to end the show. One of the biggest "curve balls" was thrown. This was one ending you could never see coming.

A bit of trivia: Larry and the 2 Darryls were originally planned by the writers to appear in about 2-4 episodes and were to be written off shortly thereafter. Since "Newhart" was taped in front of a studio audience, the audience would cheer, applaud and holler when the trio walked in the door, then the introduction would follow: "Hi, I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl". That would then follow with more cheers and applause or laughs. It was said, that the studio audience kept the trio from being written off the show.

A Network sitcom of the highest caliber

Author: Dr Banzai from Vermont
27 April 2002

As a Vermonter myself, I loved this series, but add to this the fact that the outdoor shots were filmed in Middlebury Vermont where I grew up and I love it even more. Middlebury is even now a town of only about 8,500 permanent residents, and we had our own TV show!

The cast was one of the best. Everyone from Bob Newhart and Mary Frann to the supporting cast of Poston, Duffy, Kampmann and Scolari where not only hilarious, but portrayed perfectly some of the types of people you WILL find in Vermont.

If you love good comedy, this is some of the best. Watch it and then plan a vacation in Middlebury. Who knows, you may not want to leave either.

Newhart

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
19 July 1999

One of the most intelligent sitcoms of the 1980's. The brand of humor was and still is refreshing for the time and in many ways missed today.

We need more shows like this now!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
21 July 2003

Newhart was indeed a funny and brilliant show without being crude or vulgar. It was fun watching the late wonderful Mary Frann and the amazing genius of Bob Newhart as innkeepers in Vermont. Newhart had a wonderful supporting cast of interesting characters played by Tom Poston, Julia Duffy, and Peter Scolari, and more. It should have won Emmys rather than being nominated but it was a great cast and legacy to sitcom television. Too bad, they don't make them like they used to. Newhart is better known for his dry wit and humor. He is not a slapstick comedian at all. He knows how to tell a story and his facial expressions while similar always is worth watching. Mary Frann was a great actress who was taken from us too young. Julia Duffy and Peter Scolari were great together as a couple and their humor helped enhance this classic show. Tom Poston was always a joy to see and who could forget backwoods Larry and his brothers, Daryl and Darrell who never spoke.

They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Author: TW (tmwlk@aol.com) from Georgia
3 January 2004

I just came across the last episode of "Newhart" that I recorded. I watched the whole show and laughed just as if I was watching it for the first time. The last scene that had Dick Loudon waking up in Bob Hartley's bed next to Emily was sheer genius. This was truly a great show and should have been Bob Newhart's crescendo instead of his next two projects, "Bob" and "George & Leo". A true fan knows when they have witnessed a masterpiece and they also know that that greatness will probably not be witnessed again (i.e. "Seinfeld" was perfection, the other individual shows, which names escape me, with Jason Alexander, Julia Duffy and Michael Richards were dreadful and were thankfully cancelled).

This show was great

Author: Naeem Ahmad Sabir from Rabwah, Pakistan.
6 November 2003

I got to see this show in 1994 when Satellite TV arrived here in Pakistan and it was great. Simple clean humor and a cast that was all perfect I am surprised to learn that the show didn't get any awards just nominations ... it should have ... anyway a must see ...

"Vermont Today" on TNN!

Author: Patrick E. Abe from Wahiawa, HI
28 May 2001

Caught between the caustic humor of "Titus" and the bitter grumblings of "Becker," I wondered where TV comedy had gone. A chance scan of TNN's weekday programming brought forth a ray of light: Two episodes of "Newhart" from Monday through Friday! (Once again, that immortal greeting: "Hi, my name's Larry, and this is my brother Darryl, and my other brother Darryl.") The understated charm of Dick Loudon, as "Brains" of the Vermont former Youth Gang, the "Hooligals" getting ready to "West Side Story" with their rivals, the "Puffians. The "Gooney Walk" of George Utley, Joanna riding herd on Stephanie as both head into the kitchen to clean a mess of Perch. The "Little Stephanie" Super Material Girl nightmare of Michael Harris (and the Soup Kitchen non-materialist doppelganger.) I won't miss Summer reruns at all!

Brilliant.

Author: Pierre_D from Ottawa, Canada
14 January 2005

I wish there were still shows this good and this funny on television, where actors draw humour from their surroundings instead of the standard sex/race/male-female/politics pap.

Bob Newhart is the perfect straight man, he and his wife are regular folk surrounded by an eclectic cast of characters.

From Michael Harris as the self-centered overvitamined TV Producer to Chester the Mayor and his small-minded ilk, no one escapes Newhart's calm and steady gaze, and exasperated replies.

Of course, the finale for this show is legendary, from the waking up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette to the golf course brought forth by Japanese investors.

I remember this show fondly, and wish there were more like it.

Bob Newhart, my favorite comedian.

Still the Best Sitcom Series Finale Ever....

Author: veejmar from Long Island, NY
25 July 2005

Final episodes often gets lots of hype and rarely live up to it. The finale of MASH was awesome, but the finale for Seinfeld, for example, was a big disappointment. The same problem exists for sitcom's past their prime that have lost characters along the way. The finale is usually not memorable and very anti-climactic (i.e., Happy Days ran for a dozen years, and was number one for several of those years, but does anyone remember the finale?). Then, luckily, there's the finale of Newhart, to which all other sitcom finale's should be measured! The final scene revealing the entire series to be a dream of Bob Hartley's is brilliant. A great series during it's entire run, it ended on such a memorable, wonderful final scene. As for dramas, I would put the series finale of St. Elsewhere up there with the best, but that's for another posting...