IMDb > The White Lions (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The White Lions More at IMDbPro »

Great movie!!!

Author: orosky17 from United States
18 October 2005

I have been searching for this movie for years!

I remember watching it over and over again when I was little. The storyline and scenery were both just fascinating to me. Michael York was perfect. His accent is hard not to love! This movie contained both comedy and drama. I liked watching the family get use to their new living arrangements. It also taught children how awful poaching is. It is perfect for all ages. The lion cubs were too cute.

I could still sit here and remember scenes from the movie, and I haven't seen it in over 15 years. I would buy it in a heartbeat if they ever put it out on DVD!!!!

A superb film for kids and adults

Author: dlh2731 from United States
8 June 2005

I haven't seen this film in many years, but when it was released I recorded it off of HBO for my personal viewing. After my kids, then 2 and 4 watched it with me they were hooked. They loved the lions and asked me many questions about them. They watched the tape so many times, that I swear you could've seen through it.

As for me, I though Glynis OConnor was hot. She never looked more attractive than she did in this film. The story and the scenery were good too. I definitely recommend this film as a must see and if you can find it, and a video library addition. You never know when you'll have some kids over who have seen everything else worth watching.

Pleasant but innocuous outdoor flick.

Author: Jonathon Dabell (barnaby.rudge@hotmail.co.uk) from Todmorden, England
26 March 2006

The White Lions is based on a true story by Chris McBride entitled "The White Lions Of Timbavati". This pleasant outdoor story is brought to the screen by director Mel Stuart, who is probably best remembered for the 1971 classic Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory. Although I don't think the story was written primarily for youngsters, Stuart directs it with a juvenile audience very much in mind: there are countless cute wildlife shots, the child character played by Lauri Lynn Meyers is given a heck of a lot of screen time, and the film's more serious and adult themes are largely neglected. For example, there's a subplot featuring Donald Moffat as a poacher which remains sadly under-developed; and the McBride's strength as a family unit is clearly tested by their differences of opinion (Chris is an outdoors-fanatic, addicted to his research, while wife Jean longs for the safety and creature comforts of home) but this aspect of the plot is disappointingly half-baked throughout the film.

University lecturer Chris McBride (Michael York) wins a grant to conduct a lion study in the African wilderness. He takes his wife Jean (Glynnis O'Connor) and young daughter Laura (Lauri Lynn Meyers) to his old birthplace and home, the isolated wilderness retreat of Timbavati. Here they spend a year getting used to a totally new way of life, living off the land and coping with the various natural hazards that Mother Nature throws at them. Chris is proceeding nicely with his study of lion behaviour when he discovers that a pair of ultra rare white lions have been born into the litter of the pride he has been observing. The white lions are starving as their mother is a poor hunter; but Chris cannot intervene to help them, as it would compromise the integrity of his work and the ruthless course of nature's destiny. They endure further complications when a poacher (Donald Moffat) is repeatedly spotted on their land, as well as young Laura contracting life-threatening malaria.

Kids will undoubtedly enjoy following the adventures of this family, but older viewers might find less to occupy them. It's basically a very similar story to the one told in "Born Free", "Living Free", and all those other stories where a family reject the big city life to take off into the back of beyond. York is quite good as Chris McBride - he generates a convincing characterisation, both as a nature lover and a family man who is in danger of loving Africa more than his wife and child. O'Connor is OK as Jean, though the character seems to put up with hardship and discomfort too tolerantly at times, which makes her less than believable. The location photography is very nice, though, and the titular white lions are absolutely adorable. There are certainly worse ways to spend a rainy afternoon than watching The White Lions.

Loved the movie

Author: pepper942 from Grand Rapids, Michigan
16 April 2004

I was only 12 when I first saw The White Lions and immediately fell in love with it. I would love to see this movie again and know that my

daughter to see it. The White Lions is a touching movie

that is appropriate for adults and children to watch. This

movie needs to be put back into print. The movie was interesting from beginning to end. A must see for all animal lovers. The lion cubs are so adorable. I learned a lot about Africa from the movie and because

of it spent a lot of time studying some of the country.

Great Film

Author: Bill from Florida
12 June 2003

Cannot believe this film is rated so low. I really enjoyed it and would like to see it back in circulation.Glynnis O'Conner and Michael York do and excellent job. I liked this better than the real sappy Born Free. The Lion cubs are as cute as it gets.

loved the movie White Lions

Author: kellysuit from United States
26 April 2005

I loved the movie White Lions. I remember seeing it as a little kid, I was 9 years old. This movie had given me such a good feeling that I wanted to look it up the first time I got a computer, to see if it was available on VHS. It helped me to learn more about Africa and how the world should protect our wild animals! I would rate this movie an 8 on scale of 1-10. I wish this would come back in print! This needs to be shown to everyone! I would recommend this movie to the old and young! I remember the beautiful music playing my favorite was the end theme song by Maureen McGovern. If you like movie's with animals this is better than Born Free.

Vastly underrated and ignored movie: The White Lions

Author: k-a-eaton89 from Indiana USA
21 November 2011

This film, now some 30 years old, is timeless. It is an understatement to say that it needs to be released in DVD format. The movie preceded all the more recent interest in the white lions, and I think that it would be well received today.

Animal conservation, family relationships, endangered animals - all relevant issues today... the director was years ahead of his time in telling this story.

I watched it over and over on HBO, and may have even recorded it from there at one time. It has long been missing if I did so. It would be added to my DVD collection if it were released, and I would probably buy more than one copy so that I could give it to my grandsons and great-great nieces and nephew as well.