IMDb > Under the Rainbow (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Camp Classic

Author: delbruk
25 November 2003

It does amaze me at times to see what are considered camp classics and then see how so many people can miss an obvious one. This is one film that truly has it all...drunken midgets, nazi spies, princess leia, and a host of off-colour jokes sure to offend ALL. Seriously, if your a member of the PC thought police this film will give you reason to write your congressman (or is it congressperson?) but if you are intelligent enough to realize that when everyone is being poked fun at no one is stigmatized then you might just enjoy this comedic spoof which is as frantic and disjointed as the plot.

One last point regarding the "munchkins": although it might be easy to see this film as taking liberty with the rumors (and some were true) that the midgets who acted in the Wizard of Oz were wild drinking partiers, it should be noted that this notion goes just as far to show how normal this population is; just as interested in getting drunk, laid, and having a good time as the rest of society. A very human face which has not always been offered to actors who are seen primarily in fantasy films (Oz, Willy Wonka, Time Bandits, and even Tiny Town). I do know that the actors on this film were paid better than those on Oz and certainly had no problem with the script in giving their enjoyable performances.

A fun ride

A Magnificent Comedy of Errors

Author: Darguz from Battle Creek, MI
24 May 2001

With a bit of dark humor thrown in. This is one of my top favorite movies. Mistaken identities and foiled evil plots abound. Those concerned with its lack of "political correctness" should relax and not be so serious. One reviewer said that, if there was anyone they missed making fun of, it must have been only because they ran out of film stock. Exactly! This film has equal opportunity humor. A Japanese friend of mine, personally not known for his tremendous sense of humor, thought the film was hilarious, and has watched it several times, laughing hardest at the Japanese caricatures.

I highly recommend this overlooked gem. Get it, watch it, loosen up and laugh.

Like A Seinfeld episode

Author: mcguffin-7 from Does it matter?
1 March 2002

That's right...this movie is as campy and goofy as you can get and one almost wonders why the stars that were in it (at the time) decided that THIS was a film that they wanted to be in...but...to watch it again...it's almost like a precursor to a Seinfeld episode whereas the many plots all come together at the end to make a very funny and often overlooked film...come on...if Rocky Horror is regarded as a classic, why can't this film?...it has a plethora of midgets, Japanese tourists and spies...Chevy Chase in his prime...and is a takeoff of the Wizard of Oz?...how much more odd can you get...a definite rental that grows on you!

What a great underrated movie...

Author: Jason (jason@pcgate.net) from United States
10 November 2005

What a great underrated movie. Everywhere I look it gets awful reviews, but they don't seem to take into account the campiness of the movie. It doesn't make fun on little people, or at least it doesn't poke more fun at them than anyone else! It makes fun of everyone! If you can find it, at least rent it and give it a try. If you watch it, you'll want to buy it... I did.

My whole family enjoyed the movie, and I believe yours will to... Wholesome fun for anyone who enjoys spoofs of spy movies or comedies in general.

Chevy Chase is at his prime and best in this movie, sure the script isn't great, but what movie in this genre is? The slap-stick of the movie is incredible and the acting is above most in the category!

I have several friends that happen to be little people, and they all enjoyed the movie, and didn't find it offensive in the least. The writers make fun of everyone, while not belittling anyone (except Nazi war criminals, give it a chance!)...

It's a Funny Movie

Author: clarkpark from Syracuse, NY
24 July 2005

Chevy Chase, Carrie Fisher, Pat McCormack, Billy Barty, Eve Arden, Joseph Maher, Adam Arkin, Cork Hubbard, Robert Donner – how could it not be good. The temporary manager (Arkin) of the Culver Hotel, across from MGM in 1939, changes its name to Hotel Rainbow to take advantage of the publicity surrounding the soon-to-be shot Wizard of Oz. It works as the studio's talent agent (Fisher) books rooms for all of their wouldbe munchkins. So, we start with hundreds of partying little people who make a Shriners convention look like a religious retreat. Throw in an FBI agent (Chase) protecting a traveling Duke (Maher) and Duchess (Arden) from a crazed assassin (Donner), and then a couple of dozen photo- snapping Japanese tourists whose bus breaks down in front of the hotel. Finally, sift in a Japanese agent (Mako) and a dwarf Nazi spy (Barty) who are looking for each other in a hotel full of Japanese and dwarfs. The plot is decent without getting in the way of the comedy, the acting is great, and the dialogue is often superb (What floor do you want? Ballroom. Oh' I'm sorry, I didn't know I was crowding you.) All in all, it's a great way to spend an afternoon.

Give it a chance

Author: Woody-110
17 May 2001

I remember this film film as among my favorites growing up. Forget the fact that it is absolutely politically incorrect. Of all my friends growing up (Japanese, African-American, and yes event a "little person") we all have found it hysterical over the years. The movie excited my imagination beyond most other films. While no jewel of the cinema, it will always hold a spot in my psychological toy chest, with Fletch, Foul Play, Time Bandits, and other movies too busy entertaining than to think about oversensativities.

It was a spoof

Author: alive_still from United States
23 March 2005

But it was supposed to be a spoof. I could not stop laughing as the movie was so much of a farce I found it to keep me laughing all the time. I would not recommend it for theater view but if you have never seen the movie I would say its worth watching as a rental as the cost of it is so little now. You could rent something much more costly and worse like Dead Calm. I found that all the dumb things that happened such as trying to keep the suicidal dog in the picture just more then my sides could take at times. When that dog jumped out of the window for the ball I lost it. How could you not think something as this movie which I assume was to be as "B" a movie as anyone could possibly make not be funny? I found it much better then the Vacation movies by far. I would say that this review has a spoiler but this movie cant be spoiled as there is no real plot.

A funny satire of stereotypes

Author: james-429 from Denver, USA
14 June 2004

This is a great movie that satirizes Hollywood stereotypes in a fun filled slapstick romp. Sadly, many people miss the point of satire, and will only see the stereotypes. They will not enjoy the movie, but then why do people with no sense of humor even pick up a comedy??

The main character is led through an unbelievable sequence of events while staying at a hotel awaiting a tryout for "The Wizard of Oz". The hotel is filled with hopefuls for the Munchkin parts, and has been chosen as a supposedly quiet meeting place for a Japanese and German spy to exchange info.

The German is a midget, and the addition of a Japanese tour bus stopping at the hotel makes the meeting of these two spies quite a mess.

toss in lots of slapstick, satire, and chase fun, and you have a comedy romp that the whole family can belly laugh to.

Enjoyable film

Author: peacham from Pa.
11 October 1999

I know I will be in the minority but I love this film! ( you are probably even more confused by that statement if you see the films I like most in my review postings.) I found the film fun and light hearted. Chevy Chase is at his best,Carrie Fisher is amusing, gutsy and quite fetching. Joseph Maher and eve Arden almost steal the film as the Duke and Dutchess and A pre-Chicago Hope Adam ARKIN shines as the hotel manager. Yes, I give you the fact that some of the jokes may seem very un-p.c. today but they are not malicous,its all in fun. (OH, and did I mention that this film gave the great Billy Barty his best role in years? )

Strange but True... sort of.

Author: moifee from Los Angeles
12 October 2005

This movie is a farce. It's big, broad humor... or little broad humor, to be accurate because most of the actors are little people.

The Culver Hotel played host to all of the actors who played munchkins during the filming of The Wizard of Oz. Apparently, it was a debacle. The actors partied, drank, and wreaked havoc on the hotel during a stay that has become legendary in Los Angeles.

While the specific events of this film are fictional, most of the movie is indeed based on a true event.

Now, of course a great story doesn't always make for a good movie. This is indeed a broad, goofy, slapstick comedy. Whatever your level of offense at ethnic and physical stereotypes, some of the humor is groan-worthy.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]