IMDb > Sharky's Machine (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sharky's Machine

Sharky's Machine More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Burts last big movie and I can see why?

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
7 May 2003

The beginning of this movie is great, and the last quarter that starts with the part where Sharky gets his thumb cut off is exciting. The middle is awful. Could it be script or director problem, I can not answer this. The film is destroyed with the middle, too slow for what should be a fast movie. It should have been one big build up until the climax with the office tower. This had the potential to be a classic. This project must of hurt the studio, along with the Canion Ball run, because Burt never got an A movie after these two. Watchable, but ruined 5 or 6 out of 10.

it's not as good as some say

Author: stimpy-13
6 February 2003

what are you viewers thinking? this movie is pure trash? i just got done watching it actually. the direction wasn't bad the acting wasn't bad either but as for story line it had so many holes in it that it's not even funny. i think his last great movie is best little Whorehouse in Texas. he's done some good ones after that i may add and some bad ones. but this one was pure trash i give it a 5\10

Real cool, reel tough!!!

Author: ColemanDerrick from Decatur, Georgia
13 July 2001

Sharky's Machine is easily one of Burt Reynolds best efforts. It also stands as one of the best contemporary crime dramas. Erotic and violent, the movie distinguishes itself by setting the story in Atlanta, and delivering a chaotic detective case, to you(the viewer), on a silver platter. Dedicated and determined, Sharky must stop the murder of Dominoe, a lovely lady of the night, who's clientel is anything but ordinary. Before long, Sharky's crimefighting Machine uncovers a conspiracy of the highest order, which threatens to corrupt the inner body of Atlanta. As a resident of Metro Atlanta, I recall the excitement in town during the movie's production. Sharky's Machine goes to great lengths to give an accurate portrayal of Atlanta. Twenty years removed and 2,000,000-more people later, the film stands the test of time. Trust me, Atlanta has not changed. One of the highlights of the picture is Dar Robinson's daring stunt(a classic, symbolic ending). It was even featured on That's Incredible, ABC's reality show of the period. It's just too bad that Hollywood does not make enough films like this one. Kick back, each your popcorn, and watch sterling silver cinema action.

classic cheese fest

Author: Mike from Chicago
15 February 2007

I enjoyed watching this movie somewhat but it had a ridiculous degree of corniness that can't be overlooked. Cars in this movie blow up with one shot from a "cannon" but the same gun can shoot a guy a couple of times and he lives or has a slow slow death. The script is pretty corny too and Burt Reynolds is really self serving in this making Sharky a hero by any definition but an asshole to boot with a cheesy mustache which makes him a funny character more so than a dramatic hero. Sharky's tough guy image is funny when he starts beating the hooker he is in love with. It also shines when that same hooker finds him in her apartment, then doesn't really question it but agrees to follow this plaid sporting lumberjack cop to his car and to his childhood home so she can be "safe". I think this movie is where Norm MacDonald got his "Fuck you I'm Burt Reynolds" impersonation.

Victor's Perspective

Author: WillDaBeeste from LONDON, ENGLAND
12 August 2005

Meester Sharky, you look so ... normal. You would never get a table in this fancy cocktail restaurant/bistro. I, on the other 'and eat grapes and pate 'ere every day. You like my fur coat with all the fine trimming? My enormous golden rings of gold? Or maybe you like these blonde, 'ow you say?, bombshells, who are all qualified in aerobics and naked petanques, who decorate my long, maroon velvety sofa like so many soft boiled larks on a plate of pan fried foie gras and figs. You like? You can't have! Zey are all mine.

You will never possess 'er as I possessed 'er. Domino was the best, apart from Maman. You do not understand the art of lovemaking. Just look at your inferior moustache. It is almost funny to me, non, to think of that ludicrous protuberance on your silly face, as you snuffle around Domino's love hillock like the piggy seeking the truffle in the forest, the forest heaving and swaying in the hot winds of desire! You lose again Sharky.

When I make love to the women zey know, Sharky, zey know. Zey learn, zey learn until zey become the teacher. Not nano-maths, the arts of love. Domino was the seedling which I watered. I watered her so very often. Everywhere Sharky. Her scented petals, her proud stalk, everywhere. She will wither under your ridiculous hose, like the soufflé removed from the oven five minute too soon.

I must go now Sharky, you bore me so with your disgraceful behaviour. It is you who will be flushed down le pissoir like the smelly thing.

Bon chance!

Sharky's Machine!

Author: Jay Salden from Canada
12 February 2008

I would give this one out of ten if not for the super amazing action packed unbelievable action sequences! They were so laugh out loud funny that I bumped it up to 2 out of 10.

It was also funny how there is a ton of swearing in the movie for no reason at all. Obviously they were just desperate to make the movie "tough" and get an R rating or trick people into going out to see the tough new action movie with... action superstar Burt Reynolds! I wondered why he'd be cast as an action superstar but then I saw in the credits he directed it so I guess that answers that question.

Then again this movie is 25 years old so what do you expect.

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]