IMDb > Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 81: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Another cultural scandal - Sub-merge controversy cut

Author: Zohnorg .
5 March 2017

Just watched this classic again after a long while. This time a blue-ray release. Some idiot has cut away the wonderful "submarine diving while Indy on deck" - scene. Somebody should rot in Hell... I'm not absolutely sure if anything else has been altered but I had some kind of weird feeling through the earlier stages of the movie that everything wasn't as it should have been. The submarine scene-cutting however was a dead giveaway. Isn't anything sacred in this world? Has Spielberg developed alzheimers? Shame! Shame! Shame!

The Standard For Action/Adventure

Author: zkonedog from United States
25 February 2017

I've probably seen "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" as many times as any other movie I've ever watched in my life. Each year or two from age 12 or so now to age 31, I've sat down and enjoyed this film. The amazing thing about it? It never seems to get old!

For a basic plot summary, "Raiders" sees archaeology professor Dr. Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) getting a tip that the Nazis are digging at the supposed place of the long-lost Ark of the Covenant. Armed with his trusty whip, adventurer's cap, leather jacket, and journal of clues, Indy rushes to Cairo for perhaps the greatest "find" of his life. Along the way, he meets up with old flame Marion (Karen Allen), as well as getting himself both in and out of numerous dramatic scrapes.

Almost without a doubt, "Raiders" set the standard to which action/adventure movies are now held. The music is eternal, the scale is large, and the action is always moving ahead despite still being able to support interesting characters/dialogue. Only helping matters is the fact that Ford is perfectly cast as Indy, creating what is at least in the conversation for most iconic film role of all-time. From the very first time you see Indy, you know that this guy is an adventurer through and through. It's tough to have such a visceral connection to a character without any background, but director Steven Spielberg makes it seem effortless.

I could go on and on about why "Raiders" is such a great film (both technically and culturally), but I'll suffice it to say that some 36 years after its initial theatrical release it still remains not only a classic in the "stuffy" sense, but also a movie that new viewers of today can appreciate just as much. People 36 years from now will be saying the same things...I'm sure of it!

Glaring Story Problem

Author: marcrhodes-79310 from United States
19 February 2017

Like Amy said in The Big Bang Theory, Indiana Jones had no affect on the outcome of the movie whatsoever. If he wasn't in the movie, the Nazis would've have found the arc, opened it, and died just like they did. Other than that, still one of my favorite movies of all. But Dr. Jones could've saved himself a lot of pain if he would've stayed home!

Captures the imagination

Author: tvlifeforever
7 February 2017

Watching this movie as a child filled me with awe and wonder. I was taken to another place and time filled with mystery, adventure and danger. I'd never seen anything like it.

The most thrilling part of the movie was how the scenes unfolded. A scene would start with slow tension; Harrison Ford making his way down a trail. The pace would pick up as he encountered a surprise. The scene would return to calm tension. Suddenly, with no warning, chaos! Ford running for his life. It was a roller-coaster of emotion and adrenaline.

Although this movie is much older now, as am I, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

The Greatest Film ever made

Author: sgmonarz from Melbourne, Australia
25 January 2017

I've given out 5 ratings of 10 - and this movie tops them all. From the 1st time I laid my eyes on this masterpiece of cinema at around age 7, I decided that this would be my benchmark for all films to follow. 25 years later and none have ever surpassed.

Many say Temple of Doom was the best of the Indy films although the original does it for me with it's constantly changing locations, complex characters and the impressively high level of entertainment in every scene. I feel that this is the shining light for young directors wanting to see how to make an action movie. Nothing needs to changed. At all.

NOTE: I'm a little biased on this one as I had the movie sticker book - and filled the whole thing up. (Mum forgets where she put it. I suspect worms are looking it right now)

Greatest action film ever?

Author: YourFamilyExpert
16 January 2017

What can one say about Raiders that hasn't been said? This is, in my opinion, one of the five best action movies ever made (the others? Die Hard, Terminator 2, The Matrix, and the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy). This movie has it all: a smart story (Hitler actually was looking for the Ark in the 1930's), rich characters, memorable villains, scares, amazing sets, iconic music, solid comedy, a likable and unsentimental romance, fascinating mythology, and some of the greatest stunt/action sequences ever filmed (the opening and the truck chase stand out in particular).

Raiders also benefits from the best leading lady in the series. As Marion Ravenwood, Karen Allen displays a tomboyish charm, spunk, and an unwillingness to simply be a damsel-in-distress. Case in point: when locked in the cockpit of a grounded bomber, she calls for Indiana's help for a few seconds, then decides to kill some time and some Nazis by manning the machine gun! The scene where she kisses Indy's wounds, which in another movie would be sexualized, is here very tender. Marion is resourceful, smart, and tough, making her the only love interest in the series who is Indy's perfect match.

As Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford completely inhabits the character, creating a man who is both an academic and an adventurer. He's a bit of a scoundrel but also cares about people. Most importantly, he was an action hero who was self-deprecating and imperfect. Up until that point the James Bonds, the John Waynes, and the Clint Eastwoods were all extremely macho "men's men," more prone to giving beatings than taking them. Even though Indiana Jones is tough and intelligent, he's constantly being outsmarted and out-punched. You know he'll win in the end, but usually he'll have to dig deep and use all of his ingenuity, physicality, and luck to to pull it out at the last second. Though John McClane and other heroes have followed the same template, Dr. Jones is the original and the best. * * * * * (out of five)

The first installment of the iconic explorer

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
7 January 2017

This was a very masterful, imaginative movie that will bring out the childlike hearts out of adults. The main protagonist Indiana Jones is played by Harrison Ford, I will just say that Ford is Indiana Jones. They first tried to cast Tom Selleck for this role but I am very glad that Harrison Ford played Indy instead. This is a film that inspired many filmmakers and video game creators by trying to recreate adventurous protagonists that goes on explorations. This film doesn't just have a iconic protagonist but many iconic scenes that is actually very memorable. Many kids tried to copy Indy and wanted to be Indy, because he is such a cool, charismatic, heroic and adventurous badass who is irresistible to women. He is more of a likable hero than James Bond and isn't a misogynist. Instead Indy is a true archaeologist at heart that loves history and does his best to preserve priceless artifacts for the future instead of personal gain. In another words, he is a role model that kids could look up to. So I couldn't help but root for the guy through his ordeals. The cinematography and set pieces is immersive and really does have the energy and pacing that will absorb audiences into the whole experience. It was even nominated for academy awards and actually won few of them. I will say again the set pieces really does elevate the action sequences. And the action is a blast to sit through and even adds the right amount of humor during certain parts. Films like this shows that the story doesn't have to be overly complex and has a lot of depth to it to make it classic. This is a solid entertainment blockbuster that excels in almost every area.

A great adventure movie

Author: Cameronius Explodius McMonius from Earth
10 December 2016

Indiana Jones was a great main character; he was charismatic, intelligent and quite a daredevil but also feels like a regular human and you do feel a sense of danger when he is doing dangerous things- you can clearly see that he gets quite wounded in multiple situations and he is in fact vulnerable and not like a superhero or anything. The action is amazing and incredibly well done and well shot. You can see how everything flows and the amount of tension is great as it is displayed clearly that every character is very vulnerable and can easily get hurt. All of the environments feel real and it really does feel like you're on the adventure with Indy. The practical effects are also amazing, examples include the ancient relics and also the infamous face-melting scene. Some of the special effects do look dated however (for example some of the green-screen isn't particularly great) but this was 35 years ago so I guess I can kind of forgive it and it's not too distracting but I guess if they were unable to use this technology that well then maybe they shouldn't have used it as much. This movie is rated PG and is pretty violent for a movie of that rating- there's quite a bit of blood and also the face-melting scene. They took it even further with the next instalment which resulted in a new rating needing to be created, PG-13. I can't make a review on this without mentioning the soundtrack; John Williams is just amazing. Overall, a great adventure movie with amazing action and a great main protagonist and a very fun ride. 8.3/10

"It's not the years, honey - it's the mileage."

Author: pyrocitor from Ontario, Canada
13 November 2016

Da da DA DA

Da da duhhh

There are countless instantly recognizable movie themes - many of them written by John Williams. But there are none quite as instantly transformative as those two sets of ascending four notes on the horn that instantly spell 'Indiana Jones.' Four notes, and we're skidding under a closing temple door, a juggernaut boulder crashing behind us, dodging blow darts, pausing only to retrieve our hat. Four notes, and we unconsciously stop to absently brush the spiders and cobwebs off us, so entranced are we by the thrill of our archaeological treasure hunt. Four notes, and we're off to the movies - Raiders of the Lost Ark alongside Doctor Jones. And there's nowhere we'd rather be.

You could rattle off Raiders' iconic moments for the duration of its run time ("throw me the whip!"/"Throw me the idol!"; 'Gun to a sword fight'; "Why'd it have to be snakes?!"), and still fall short of its iconic magic. But why Indy? Granted, the former Indiana Smith, the man all but christened James Bond's father (see part III for a cheeky wink at that) by his own 'parents,' the indomitable Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, is a fun character. He's a perfect foil to subject to all the action, intrigue, globetrotting, and treasure hunting joys that proliferated the matinée adventure serials of his pappy's boyhoods. And we have him (and them) for forever cementing archaeology as THE COOLEST profession shy of a firefighting superhero astronaut in the eyes of generations of youth.

Spielberg clearly knew they were onto something here, and reciprocates by being on the top of his game, delivering the quintessence of a robust, brawny, populist cinematic adventure as only he can. His opening act - again, a 007 homage - is immediately unforgettable, introducing the titular hero as a dramatic silhouette, easily outmaneuvering his cowering guide (the exquisitely weaselly Alfred Molina) as he's beset by a franchise's worth of booby traps. It's a slow build from there, toeing the line of leisurely, despite an explosive bar brawl in the Himalayas (including another unforgettable introduction for Karen Allen's tough-as-nails, exceptionally charismatic Marion Ravenwood) to tide us by. But soon enough, we're thrust into the thick of snake-filled antiquity ruins, besieged by Nazis (who else?), and from then on, the film is unstoppable. Crisp editing, flawlessly dusty cinematography, and the magnificently grandiose archaeological sets ignite the film with a rambunctious, sand-etched enthusiasm, while the action sequences bristle with breathtaking intensity (remember to return from the edge of your seat after watching Jones sucked under a moving truck, or ducking under a plane propeller mid-fistfight) coupled with disarming matinée silliness. And that climax - probably the most literal 'Deus Ex Machina' in cinema history? 'Exhilarating' is the understatement of a thousand lifetimes.

But the real joy, the real 'je ne sais quoi' of Raiders of the Lost Ark lives in its tiny, throwaway moments - many buoyed by Spielberg's savagely cheeky sense of humour, or flair for unexpectedly iconic character beats. "Love You" on a student's eyelids flustering Jones mid-lesson. Indiana interrupting Marcus Brody (the delightful Denholm Elliot)'s line - clearly unscripted - because he's so excited about archaeology. John Rhys-Davies' bombastically lovable Sallah bursting into Gilbert and Sullivan because he's "so pleased you're not dead!" Arch-rival Belloq (perfectly preening yet oddly dignified Paul Freeman) bursting into laughter when drunkenly threatened by a knife. Insidious, scar-handed Nazi stooge Toht (unforgettably grotesque Ronald Lacey) giggling nervously when the Ark of the Covenant is revealed to be full of dust. Indiana falling asleep amidst what should be a passionate love scene. And, of course, the unforgettable 'brought a gun to a sword fight' standoff. These are what elevate the movie from good, spirited fun to the level of unforgettable movie magic. These are what make it truly special.

Still, there are two indisputable MVPs for Raiders' rampant success: John Williams, and Harrison Ford. Never before have music and actor fused into such an unforgettable driving force of a character - a hero who really sweats, bleeds, grunts, cusses, undercuts his triumphant introduction by whining about snakes, and cements his place at the forefront of thirty-five years worth of audiences' hearts. It's easy to overlook Ford's razor-sharp comedic timing amidst his brimming, crusty charisma, but watch for his exasperated, exhausted grimaces when confronted by a superfluously sword-swinging adversary, fumbling aboard a descending Nazi submarine, or challenged to bareknuckle boxing mid-plane hijack, and the film reaches a level of sublime, almost peerless character comedy. It's this crystalline grounding of impossible feats within the characterization of a man who risks his life for museum artifacts that sells the inherent ridiculousness of Indiana Jones, taking him from self-parody to genre-defining, and spawning innumerable, inherently inferior knock-offs. Freeman's Belloq's villainous jeers prove prophetic: Jones is now an unshakable, invaluable part of modern cultural history. And he doesn't even have to be quarantined to a museum.

There's an argument to be made that The Last Crusade peps up the already nearly airtight formula with more comedy and action for your buck, and Temple of Doom, while clumsy and flawed, delves into some intriguingly grim terrain (what's a Crystal Skull? You must've been dreaming). Still, the word classic isn't used lightly, and Raiders of the Lost Ark remains just that: a game-changing, fundamental force in escapist cinematic perfection. So forget about your pesky real world problems! Because you are at the MOVIES, with Spielberg, Johnny Williams, and the perennially grimacing Indiana Jones. And here, everything is going to be okay. You're in good hands. Whose good hands? Top. Men.

Duh duh DA da duh DA da

Duh DA DA da dahhhh

-10/10

Adventure, Action

Author: mjr-63593 from Alby
16 October 2016

Harrison Ford, "Indiana Jones" and his friends are searching for treasure, that can save the world from evil. If evil people find this treasure, the world will become ruled by evil and darkness. Indiana Jones realize that his friends are not quite good fellows as he thought. This movie contains lot of action and humor and bit of romantic scenes. Indiana Jones cant trust nobody, only His hat, whip and his revolver. This movie contains also few some scary scenes, dinner sacrificing etc. This movie suites for all movie categories, cause it's so allround. This movie also was a box office at the cinemas world wide.