IMDb > Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 82: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The gold standard

Author: Parker Lewis from United States
5 October 2017

It's hard to believe Raiders was released nearly four decades ago, and it certainly doesn't age. It's one of Spielberg's best (in my humble opinion I think Duel was excellent and 1941 was grossly underrated). Anyway, buckle yourself in when you watch Raiders and be prepared to be enthralled big time. John Williams' score does the movie proud.

What's fascinating is Raiders deals with themes of God and the ten commandments vs. the Nazis. Interestingly, I don't think any Germans played the Nazis, a similar pattern to Hogan's Heroes and Valkyrie, where Americans played the Nazis, and in Allo' Allo' where British actors played the Nazis.

Raiders is quite riveting and suspenseful at the end.

Classic Spielberg

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
30 September 2017

A very famous action film from the early Eighties. Harrison Ford looks so young in this film now. This was one of his iconic roles, and he chews the scenery with the best of them. The action is relentless, and despite a few plot holes, is immensely satisfying. Karen Allen looked great, and played her tough-girl role with relish. This being a Spielberg film, it is a visual spectacle, with high production values, outstanding photography, and lots of stunts and effects. Everyone should see this film.

A Spielberg Classic

Author: advancrs
26 September 2017

Raiders of The Lost Ark is a 1981 film directed by Steven Spielberg and stars Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, and John Rhys-Davies. It was distributed by Paramount, being labeled as an Action Adventure film. I have seen the film many times before and would gladly give you my opinions and observations to you.

The film is set during the 1930's where professor/archaeologist Indiana Jones (Ford) has almost went away with a valuable golden idol from South America. He then finds out at the Nazis are trying find the biblical "Ark of the Covenant" and unleash it's power to give their regime an extra edge. It is up to Indiana to find it first with the help of Marion Ravenwood (Allen) and stop the Nazis in their tracks.

I liked most of the main characters in Raiders, Harrison definitely steals the spotlight as Indiana in most of the scenes he's in. But the film doesn't make him overpowered or less relatable (which is a good thing). He has to fight off against seemingly impossible odds and strong brutes that give Indie a real challenge. Marion serves as a great companion to him and is more likable than the other two female leads in the next films. I'd even go far as to say the Egyptian Monkey was a good actor.

There's a lot to like about this film and the IJ trilogy in general. The cinematography is great, grand, and in-camera. John William's musical score is still memorable to this day. From my point of view, this film is a lot "ballsier" than most PG-13 films today with people melting and exploding fantastically. My only gripe with Raiders is that Indiana survives death by a pretty big amount, really hindering on my suspension of disbelief.

Raiders has a lot of Christian imagery, the "macguffin" of the film (Ark of The Covenant) is a reference to the Bible. And the attempt to summon it's spirits contains a Jewish ritual. But that's all I can think of in terms of themes and such. The film is just a really great action adventure film.

After learning about the film for years, this film was widely known for decades and was a critical and commercial success. Young kids could be traumatized, but that would prevent them watching a great film, heck I've watched Robocop since I was 8. Adults will really like this, teens will also. I actually don't know anybody who doesn't at least appreciates Indiana Jones. No matter what your opinion on the film is, I will respect it.

Overall, I give Raiders of The Lost Ark a… 9/10

OMG, stone carving!

Author: A from Santa Clara, CA
9 September 2017

What a good idea... tasting poison. Just like police tasting for drugs.

He didn't see Harrison throw back the whip? He had an enormous amount of time to shoot.

All Indiana Jones movies MUST have cobweb curtains.

Love the shredded pant leg cuffs.

The dust flying off his jacket as they galavant over the rolling hills is a good touch.

How did they fit everyone in that plane there? More importantly how did he not notice the snake on the way in? How does Jock have no accent? Funny meaningless eye lid stunt. I guess it sets up Dr. Jones as a popular professor? Love the tome with latches.

Caustiouly throwing a pistol into a suitcase.

There's Death reading Life.

I'm sure you could get more than $3k for the prop nowadays.

Who picks up anything in that manner? Why is this guy still fighting after his buddies tried to kill him? It's a date.

Desert pirate! I love when Salla breaks into needless song.

"Bad dates" :) That must have been an unplanned tumble.

No reason for the diggers to hold back other than Indy wanted to take a moment? He shouldn't discard his costume while providing a nice silhouette.

Watch your toes! Heels in the sand. Very practical.

Be a man and drink.

Greatest hanger scene ever... "what shoulder talk about".... super creepy.

Creep-o is a bitter kid who never got laid.

Wrench fighter is terrible. The pilot is oblivious.

Marion is no joke. Progressive for now and very progressive for then (when this was released) let alone the time of the setting.

That fuel trust was bursting with fuel. No fuel container is going to pop like that when he cap comes off.

Great punch sounds.

Iconic sprint.

"I'm so pleased you're not dead" :) Why do angry at the truck? Slack-jawed local on the hood.

Bumped off into a painting... Ahh! Good German boots.

German's hate fruit.

Something very official about the course plotter.

The classic Indy spin.

Of course.

Poor Marion, always dragged around in a white dress.

Do they really need standard bearers? It is an all Nazi island.

Belloq eats a fly.

Another Indy staple... melting wax.

Top men.

The first and best of the Indy films

Author: adamonfilm from England, United Kingdom
1 September 2017

'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is the first and, in my opinion, the best of the Indiana Jones films. This film is almost 40 years old but remains today one of the best and most iconic action/adventure movies of all time. For sheer entertainment value, there aren't many films that have come close to 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' since its 1981 release.

What makes 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' stand out from the rest of the Indy films is the story. It's fast-paced, exciting, tense and hugely enjoyable. There are some memorable individual action scenes that put any modern day CGI dominated action sequences to shame. 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is an iconic action movie that has stood the test of time. Definitely a classic of the genre.

Indie!

Author: Samuel-Shovel
23 August 2017

The pinnacle of what you want out of a summer blockbuster, the Lost Ark has everything you're looking for in an adventure romp: action, suspense, daring stunts, comedy, romance, witty dialogue. This movie hits all the check marks and leaves the viewer feeling cinematically sated. The pacing is perfect and there's very very very rarely a dull moment to be had as Indie and company globetrot their way to an unforgettable climax.

Some have criticized the movie for its ending, our hero doesn't save the day but instead stands tied up as we watch the Nazis become responsible for their own undoing. I see this as more of a pro than a con. This isn't the only IJ movie where the villain's thirst for power has been their downfall. I think it's meant to teach us that we need to be careful with our lusts for wealth, fame, and power. Stay humble y'all.

Highly Overrated

Author: Niaz Islam Arif from Bangladesh
9 August 2017

I watched this famous film expecting it will so much more but I was disappointed instead.

The story is beyond absurd, the plot is weak and there was hardly any logic present. Indiana Jones was doing a lot of things in the film: explaining, exploring, running, fighting but what he was not doing is thinking. Often there was no rational explanations for his actions which made the film uninteresting. Every time he is in trouble, he gets out of it is the most absurd and unrealistic way possible.

The performance of the actors and actresses was mediocre. As the story was not that good there was nothing much to be done by them either. On top of that the action scenes were not well crafted, in fact they were pretty clumsy. Also the editing of those scenes was less than good.

If you are expecting an amazing movie then I will not recommend it but if you are seeking an average type action film to watch then you can watch this.

Timeless adventure masterpiece still as good today as it was in the 80's

Author: one-nine-eighty from United Kingdom
9 August 2017

An iconic movie so good it will stand the test of time and has spawned sequels, video games, merchandise and all sorts.

Harrison Ford plays Indiana Jones (well, Henry Jones actually but he borrowed his dog's name of Indiana because he preferred that), he's a professor archaeologist who dabbles in the occasional adventure for the US Government and wealthy benefactors. It's 1936 and the Nazi scourge is a real threat. Jones is hired to retrieve the Arc of the Covenant before the Nazi's get their evil grubby paws on it. Opposing him is Dr Rene Belloq played by Paul Freeman. Who will win the race to get the find the covenant and what will it mean for life as we know it?

Directed by Steven Spielberg this is one of those movies which made him a cinematic master. With writing credits to George Lucas, off the back of Star Wars, and a John Williams musical score you are surely going to be entertained.

This is a movie I can watch and re-watch, it never fails to entertain me. The musical score pushes a fantastic pace for the movie and delivers some iconic tunes too - I can still hum the theme tunes without any problems remembering how it went. It's a no holds barred adventure with fun, humour, romance, thrills, spills, horror and suspense. Harrison Ford delivers a fantastic performance as the archaeologist turned adventurer, I'd suggest his performance is the benchmark against which any other adventure film is measured against. This is slightly darker than other Indiana Jones films but in fairness it was the start of a dynasty so audiences were only just learning about him, character development in later films would make him more family friendly but this film was rightly a PG at the time as there is the occasional tense horrifying moment and occasional bloodshed. By today's standards that is nothing though, and you can still safely watch this with young children without fear.

I love this film, just look at the other reviews to see that practically everyone else loves this film too. You can't go wrong with this at all. Get the popcorn, close the curtains and crank the volume up to 10. You are in for a treat whether you have seen this a billion times or you are experiencing it a new!

Decent!

Author: shellylin from Virginia
6 August 2017

Nowadays we keep forgetting how beautiful blockbusters can be. Too much CGI makes everything possible and therefore very often also arbitrary. In Raiders you actually seem to feel the physical pain some of the actors/stuntmen had to go through to provide 2 hours of pure entertainment.

Of course the story isn't waterproof, the Nazi weren't that present in Egypt in 1936 and how did Indy survive that ride on the submarine again? But lots of good and variable action scenes are accompanied by a story that develops fast and excitingly and is always close to being implausible but luckily never is.

Spielberg, Lucas and most of all Harrison Ford created a hero that is nowadays iconic. With their attempt to make an homage to adventure comics of the 1930's they created their own legend.

It's funny, exiting, thrilling and romantic. What more can you ask for?

Raiders of the lost ark review

Author: jerobalalva from Mexico
5 August 2017

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a unique film like no other. This film like the other three films gives you the adventure feels that our main character Indy does. The thing that works very well is the companionship between the director Spielberg and Lucas they created a wonderful adventurous world. The story is so well structured, from the setup to the confrontation, it keeps us at the edge of our seats without a single yawn. Let's talk about Harrison Ford and Karen Allen, their companionship in the movie is amazing Marion (Karen Allen) is not that girl that always needs to be saved by Indy (Harrison Ford), in some occasions she saves Indy's life. Our hero Indy (Harrison Ford) has the word iconic written on his forehead, he is the perfect hero he is charming, bad ass, smart everything a hero needs. The movie has an exceptional movie score by Academy award winning John Williams, his score is tense and brilliant. The movie has incredible shots the cinematography is quite amazing, as well as those visual effects, and nails a perfect editing. The direction from Steven Spielberg is fantastic we can see he really did put effort into the movie. Overall this is one of the best films of all time (My favorite movie) it has action, romance, suspense, and it is for the whole family, the kids will love this film. Seek this film out!