IMDb > Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Piranha Part Two: The Spawning
Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Beaches, bikinis, babes and flying killer piranha - what more can you ask for?

Author: Wilbur-10 from Isle of Man
6 November 2000

This really isn't too bad a film, and is certainly a worthy sequel to the original. 'Piranha' worked because it was tongue-in-cheek, making fun of the films it was parodying. 'Piranha II' tries to be more serious, but is so cheesy that it manages, by default, to be just as effective.

This time round the Piranha have moved from the river and are in the sea, able to fly as a result of scientists crossing genes to make the ultimate killing machine. After the opening scene which is similar to the one in Jaws 2, (except here the two divers are lovers trying for some underwater coupling), the film introduces a variety of characters, most of which are surprisingly endearing in a 'B' movie kind of way; particularly two topless good-time girls who get provisions from a stuttering chef with the promise of a threesome.

Lance Henriksen, who continued a lucrative association with Cameron, plays the police chief, who is a hybrid of Brody from 'Jaws' and Colonel Kilgore from 'Apocalypse Now'. He valiantly plays a straight role as all around him descends into chaotic fun. The flying piranha attack like vampire bats, going for the throats of their luckless victims; whilst they also have Alien-like trends, one bursting out of a dead body to attack a nurse.

As can be gathered, I found this film great fun - most production values are of a reasonable standard, particularly the underwater photography. The piranha themselves are a disappointment, but they play second fiddle to the characters and storyline.

People who slate the film need to watch the likes of 'Barracuda' or 'Evil in the Deep', both of which are fathoms below 'Piranha II'. Any film with dialogue like "Do you dive on your first date?" gets the thumbs up from me.

"Guess who's coming to dinner?"

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
10 October 2005

If you guessed Sidney Poitier you'd be wrong. So begins James Cameron's fascination with water. And what humble beginnings they are. Cameron would probably like to forget this one, because it is sadly less perfect than Dante's original. In Piranha II: The Spawning you're no longer safe outside the water. This time they can fly. Now, with a premise like that you expect certain things. Evil, flying, man-eating fish just begs for comedy. But I assure you, this film is never played for laughs; and that's its downfall. Dante's Piranha had elements of comedy in it and this one should have followed suit (especially with flying fish!!!). Make-up legend Giannetto De Rossi did the effects for the film, however, the picture quality on the VHS I was watching was so muddled I couldn't appreciate them. The fish themselves are still accompanied by that menacing sound effect, so they still have that going for them. Unless you're a hardcore Lance Henriksen/James Cameron fan, I'd say you can miss this one.

The Ultimate Weapon

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 November 2007

In a Caribbean island, a couple is found dead inside a sunken ship. The scuba diving instructor of the local resort Anne Kimbrough (Tricia O'Neil) breaks in the morgue with her acquaintance Tyler Sherman (Steve Marachuk) and finds that the bodies have been eaten in many parts. They have one night stand and Tyler tells her that he is a biochemist that have developed a specimen of genetically modified piranha capable of flying to be the ultimate weapon. Unfortunately they had lost a cylinder full of the new breed in the water. During the fishing party promoted by the resort, the piranhas attack the guests. Anne and Tyler decide to explode the ship to destroy the nest of the predator.

This shameful rip-off of "Jaws" is simply awful. The saddest surprise is that this is practically the debut of director James Cameron, from "Terminator", "Aliens", "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and "Titanic". The cheesy "Piranha Part Two: The Spawning" has a terrible story associated to bad acting, using all the typical clichés of this type of B-Movie and caricatures instead of characters. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Piranha II – Assassinas Voadoras" ("Piranha II – Flying Assassins")

come on guys!!!

Author: johanwictorsson from Sweden
6 December 2005

sure it's not the best movie ever made,,but they don't do this kind of movies any more. it has a bit of that early 80's charm over it. And Lance Henriksen is never bad in a movie. sure the script blows but what a hell it's entertaining as hell. And the effects looks very cheesy at some times. mostly on the flying piranha effects they looks darn ugly. it had been better if the fishes stayed in the sea:-) those effects worked better. the music sounded like some Italian giallo film. maybe the reason for that was that the producer was Italian. iv'e got the DVD version of the film and it looks pretty good in widescreen. some scenes i wished they would have cut out, like some of the more comic characters,in a movie like this that aims for a serious story don't need unrealistic comic reliefs. like the scene when they chant *we want fish* what did the script makers think. if this was a comedy it would have been a blast,,but not when it's gonna be a horror movie. but if you ignore all the flaws in this movie and just see it for what is it's pretty OK. a forgotten little horror flick from the early 80's

Can't believe it happened...

Author: Insomniac_moviefan
20 July 2002

...the flying piranha special effect (is it a special effect?!), it has to be one of the worst moments in cinema history!.

Pros: it has hot girls in bikinis. That's it. Cons: a dumb plot, horrible special effects -the flying piranhas say it all-, a bad score, a bad cinematography, bad acting. It's even worse that the original "Piranha": This one didn't even try to be a good horror movie. I wonder what's James Cameron opinion about this movie, I'm sure he's not proud of it. Avoid this one, watch JAWS instead.

Muddled Mess...But Then There Was Gabby!

Author: horror7777 from New York
4 March 2001

Hard to believe it's Cameron, that's right. The directorial wizard who brought us such great films as "Terminator 2" produced this crap first time around. Well, not crap really. This film is okay. The piranhas looked OH! SO FAKE! And the storyline was average, which is BELOW AVERAGE for Cameron. But what kept this sinking ship afloat was Gabby. Gabby was the king of guy that would make you laugh on a rainy day. He's brave (standing up to Henriksen, for example), he's funny(without trying to be), and he's really, really wicked("I'm gonna kill 'em all, Anne!"). Gabby was a great addition to this barely average film. And if I ever watch it again. It would be just to see Gabby work his magic, in his very first film! However, unless you are a die hard Cameron fan, avoid this muddled mess! **out of****

Hard to believe it's Cameron

Author: PlotLuck from L.A.
14 September 1998

Cameron defends his first film opus as being, "without a doubt, the finest flying piranha movie ever made." I must agree with The King of the World on that one.

This movie just goes to show that none of us should take early knocks in our careers too hard. From here to Titanic in 17 years is pretty good.

on par with the original

Author: mcfly-31 from anaheim, ca
23 October 2000

This follow-up pretty much matches the first film for pacing and thrills, which isn't saying much. Seeing how the fishies are introduced in the opening scene (to devour a pair of underwater lovemakers!) but then disappear for 20 minutes to set up the bland characters. Despite what other IMDBers have said, I thought the cast looked fine. O'Neill is cute, the two cruel babes on the boat were NICE, and the busty, though never glimpsed, sea captain's daughter was good. She does the "dirty deed" with some dude in a waterfall, but the scene is so dark that you cant see squat. And there's actually a survivor so to speak of all these performers: veteran actor Henricksen, who went on to bigger and better, and is till working these days. As for the action, I liked the idea of the flying munchers. Though laughable, it gave them an extra dynamic to exploit on the victims. But even with that inventive idea, the effect of them taking flight is extremely cheap looking. Whenever they chew someone, its always done in close up, as if some stagehand was trying to stay out of the shot as he held the fish against the actors face/neck. I do have to give credit for the scene involving the nurse. If you don't get a jolt when that little sucker pops out of the dead body, I'd be surprised. As for superstar director Cameron, his first offering is what you'd expect out of a low budget horror film; cheaply made, dark and badly photographed nonsense. And that early "Titanic" influence is evident in a number of scenes that take place in the hulls of a sunken ship. But he manages to make you jump here and there, and I enjoyed the opening credits, that featured some good, creepy violin music and creatively done wavy, water-like effects as the names came on screen. As most have said, this may go into a lot of peoples "so bad, its funny" file, but it entertained me as much as the first film did, which was very little.

OK,but the first was a bit better

Author: James McKnight (tokuzaru@gmail.com) from United States
10 February 2016

I can remember first coming across the first piranha, as it was on a VHS tape in my mother collection that only bore the first title. I remember watching it as a kid and being absolutely terrified as a child because up until that point a kid could never comprehend the local terror of something invading a lake to kill children and counselors alike. I remember catching Piranhas II briefly when I was a bit older and had a very vague idea of what it was about. So I decided to revisit it and see if it had any of that classic quirky charm that made the first Film directed by Joe Dante, a rather charming knockoff with just a bit of its own magic that so many jaws rip offs lacked. I can say this film doesn't really have any of the charm or interest of the original,but still tries to up the ante in terms of creativity. The plot seems less connected to the first title as it really tries to shoehorn in the connection via a mention and it seems less than interesting. The cast is pretty standard as far as most 80s casts go(keep an eye out for a really young Lance Henriksen). I wouldn't recommend this as a first choice, or a last choice,but I would say that if you have braved more than a few average horrors and are craving some more aquatic terror than this one will more than easily fill that void since it is still heaps better than the rather dismal new films which lack the charm of being an 80s movie and try to replicate bad on purpose.

Flying Piranha

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
5 July 2014

This movie takes place near a small resort island in the Caribbean. Essentially, "Annie Kimbrough" (Tricia O'Neil) is a scuba instructor for the luxury hotel on the island and has been recently divorced from her husband "Chris Kimbrough" (Lance Henriksen) who happens to be the local sheriff. One day while teaching some tourists how to scuba dive one of the trainees is killed by some kind of fish that Annie is unable to identify due to the bite marks on the body which doesn't resemble any fish that she is familiar with. Neither does she realize just how dangerous these fish truly are. At any rate, rather than disclose the rest of the plot and risk spoiling the film for those who haven't seen it, I will just say that I enjoyed it. Now, make no mistake it clearly wasn't up to the level of "Jaws" or possibly even its predecessor "Piranha". But the scenery was nice and a couple of the actors, most notably the afore-mentioned Tricia O'Neil and Lance Henriksen, played their parts rather well. Along with that there were a couple of attractive ladies wearing either nothing or next to nothing in several different scenes. And while some of the scenes featuring the flying piranha were clearly absurd, whether intended or not, I found it to be quite hilarious. Now, that is not to say that I thought this was a movie that was "so bad it's good". Not at all. I just thought it was a fun movie and I enjoyed watching it. Obviously, there will be some who strongly disagree and I respect their opinion. Be that as it may, even though it certainly has its flaws I rate this movie as average.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]