IMDb > Buddy Goes West (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Buddy Goes West More at IMDbPro »Occhio alla penna (original title)

Spencer goes solo

Author: srobi280 from Hungary
11 April 2006

This movie is a spaghetti western with a comic twist. Spencer goes solo in this film. He goes to the town of Yucca, where he pretends that he is a doctor. Watching him trying to cure people is simply a riot. He completely has no clue what he is doing, and he mixes up all kinds of crazy potions and does some awkward things. I watched the Hungarian version, and the dubbing is excellent. In Hungarian, the title translated is "Golden Rain in Yucca". I haven't seen this film in a while, but I pretty much laughed the entire time I watched it. Spencer kicks ass as usual in his unique style. I would recommend this movie to anyone who is looking for non-stop laughter and entertainment.

Entertaining and funny Spaghetti with the bouncing Spencer forming an odd couple

Author: ma-cortes
11 September 2011

This Spaghetti/Faglioli Western is starred by two outlaws : "The doctor" (Bud Spencer in his habitual role , as always , and this time without Terence Hill) and the Indian Gironamo (a likable Amidou ) . At the beginning Buddy posing as Indian rescues Gironamo and after that , they rob a train . Later on , they come to Yucca City , where the citizens believe he is a doctor . Meanwhile , they are helping townsfolk to fight a gang led by Colorado Slim (Riccardo Pizzuti who usually receives kick ass) who is ¨Wanted : Dead or alive¨ and a suspicious sheriff named Bronson ( Joe Bugner who worked in various films as Spencer nemesis ) has discovered gold below the little town . At the ending takes places an exciting showdown in Leone style and under Morricone backdrop musical score .

This entertaining , engaging movie is crammed of fist-fights, punches , kicks, overwhelming stunt-work and lots of humor . Bud Spencer is top-notch as one army man taking on a group of bandits and as always he makes his own stunts with comic touches , as usual . The lighting-paced storyline slows down at times , but frenetic fight-sequences make up for it . It's an amusing romp plenty of brawls , including amusing bounds and leaps . This is a nice and funny juvenile story for Bud Spencer fans , as he's delight and likable . It packs action, fist-play, slapdash, humor with tongue-in-cheek and is quite bemusing . This release has some cool and several hilarious moments ; however the Terence Hill-Bud Spencer duo films are much better . The film isn't always good , sometimes is fresh and diverting and on a couple of memorable occasions , it's frankly delicious. The movie displays innumerable laughters , jokes and slapstick . In the picture appears ordinary secondaries from B Italian series seen in several genres as Spaghetti Western and Peplum as Giovanni Cianfriglia , Roberto Dell'Acqua ,Octaviano Dell'Acqua , Nazzareno Zamperla , Romano Puppo and Riccardo Pizzuti who's usual in Hill-Spencer movies . Acceptable cinematography filmed on location in Incir De Paolis, Rome, Lazio, Italy and Poblado del Oeste,Tabernas, Almería, Andalucía, Spain . Very good musical score by the classic Ennio Morricone in his usual Spaghetti style . The motion picture originally written by Sergio Donati , screenwriter of multiple Western , being middlingly directed by Michele Lupo who also directed ¨Bulldozer¨ and ¨Supersheriff¨ with similar protagonist and technicians . This is a passable entertaining juvenile that will appeal to Italian comedy buffs. In the 70s and 80s Bud Spencer starred various movies without Terence Hill , as he made three kind of films : 1ª he performed pictures with a little boy as partner as ¨Banana Joe ¨ , ¨Aladino¨and ¨The Supersheriff¨ ; 2ª about cop named Flatfoot or Rizzo, also called Piedone, such as, ¨Flatfoot in Cairo , Flatfoot in Hong Kong, Flatfoot in Egypt , Flatfoot in Africa¨, furthermore the ¨Extralargo¨ series 3ª about diverse characters as a medieval knight as ¨Soldier of fortune¨ , a swindler as ¨Mr Charleston¨ or a fisherman , ex-player as ¨Bulldozer¨ and an outlaw in this one. Rating : Average , only for Bud Spencer fans

a great Italian western.extremely entertaining.

Author: sdell from United States
20 August 2005

bud spencer is back again without his usual buddy, Terence Hill this time. the movie is still very funny and entertaining. I've been watching Bud Spencer's movies since my childhood now, and this one is one of the best. it also has Riccardo Pizzuti playing Colorado Slim and he still gets his ass kicked by spencer. Even though it does not have Terence Hill. Great music and fight scenes. spencer's eating competition with the sheriff is hilarious. he's so charismatic and funny in everything he does. the dubbing isn't all that great. but the movie makes up for it. I remember laughing the whole time while watching it.

highly recommends for anyone.

Fun, Politically Incorrect Bud Spencer Vehicle

Author: FightingWesterner from The Lonesome Prairie
28 June 2014

Trying and failing to shake off his Indian sidekick, drifter Bud Spencer is mistaken for a doctor, thanks to a stolen physician's kit. Now the toast of the town in a place in desperate need of a doctor, he has to assume not just the role of healer, but it's protector against a gang of sadistic outlaws.

An amiable late spaghetti western comedy, Bud does what he does best, mainly breaking things, man-handling bad guys and putting down large amounts of food! In other words, if you like Bud Spencer movies (with or without frequent partner Terence Hill), you'll probably like this one as well. As his sidekick, Italian comedian Amidou is sometimes hilarious, but sometimes pretty embarrassing as well.

A neat score by Ennio Morricone has the maestro revisiting and parodying many of his best known western compositions, sometimes more than one in the same cue!

Observant viewers will also recognize Claudia Cardinale's house from Once Upon A Time In The West, being used as Bud's hiding place early on in the film.

Some great gags, a superb soundtrack and one very irritating sidekick

Author: Roel Haanen from Netherlands
4 April 2016

Bud Spencer wanders into a small town, gets mistaken for a doctor and winds up protecting the town folk from a gang of thugs and a corrupt sheriff.

Both Spencer and director Michele Lupo have done better, separately and together. But that is not to say that Buddy Goes West is a bad film. It has a couple of great gags and enjoyable moments (the food duel between Spencer and the sheriff is great fun) and the soundtrack by Ennio Morricone is absolutely superb (if only for the music, this late spaghetti western should be interesting for fans of the genre).

Now for the bad: I can watch Spencer do his grumpy comic persona is almost anything, to be perfectly honest, but when he's not with Terence Hill he sometimes falls back on irritating sidekicks (see also Jerry Calà in Bomber, made one year later). And in that respect, Buddy Goes West takes the cake. Morrocon actor Amidou (Sorcerer) plays a dim witted Indian who hops around like an idiot and mimics Native American speak by uttering words like 'Witchita' and 'Dakota' and plain old mumbo-jumbo in rapid succession. Of course it's politically incorrect, but I don't mind that. What I do mind is that Amidou is really tiresome in the role and not funny at all. I try to imagine Buddy Goes West with a less moronic sidekick. It would have been much better.

Buddy goes west was surprising pretty funny

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
12 October 2013

This movie is very interesting because it's one of the few Spaghetti Westerns, I have saw that seem to be parody of itself and had a comic twist. It's doesn't take itself serious. It's one of the few Spaghetti Westerns movies, without much of a death count. If I remember, no character died in this film. The humors works in the right places, and the soundtrack by Ennio Morricone is pretty catchy. The music does get a bit overplayed in the film, to the point, its get annoying. Song: "Vaohanana manitu" sung by Ferruccio Amendola was also pretty good. Buddy goes West is also known as 'A Feather in the Eye', A Fist Goes West, stars Carlos Pedersoli AKA Bud Spencer, known for his past roles in action-comedy films with his long time film partner Terence Hill, in particular for the 'Trinity' films. 1971's Trinity is still my name' is one of the highest grossing Spaghetti Western of all time. Due to the shear bulk of the man, his films often involve extended fist-fights, where he would fight off numerous attackers and finish them off with his trademark hammer-like blow to the top of the head with a clenched fist. The man looks like a bear. Buddy goes West has this type of a bar fight, and it's one of the highlight of the film. I like how the bar looks god awful after the 8 minute fight scene. Looking at him through this film, it's hard to believe that this man was once a successful Olympic swimmer representing Italy in the games of 1952, 1956, and 1960. After retiring from the sport, Carlos change his name to Bud to appeal to a large American audience and started in a lot of comedy bits in movies. This movie by director Michele Lupo is one of his better ones. Sadly, this movie doesn't have his film partner Terence Hill here. It would be nice to see them bounce jokes within each other. Instead of Terence Hill, we get an annoying 'Jar Jar Binks' type Indian character named Cocoa, played by French actor, Amidou. Due to language translations, some people might get confused by what the character's name is. In some versions, it's Cocoa, in others it's Girolamo AKA Eagle Eye. Then in the other language versions, he is known as Alder. Anyways, Amidou plays Cocoa, as a mindless idiot who goes around making sounds and noises kinda like a lame Harpo Marx. His character might seems kinda offended if watching with the Native American community. The saving grace of this movie has to be Bud Spencer, who plays an outlaw who befriended the Indian Cocoa, trying to escape from the law. He found his way out, when he rob a doctor of his medicine supplies and soon takes the doctor identify for himself. Nowhere in the movie, is the character true identify is mention. He just known as 'the doctor' or 'good doctor'. If I remember, the name 'Bud' doesn't even get mention as well. Watching him trying to cure people is simply hilarious. Soon, the good folks of the town of Yucca believe he is a real doctor, while the Sheriff Bronson (Joe Bugner) has doubts. I found the eating contest scene where the Sheriff Bronson and Bud challenge each other, funny and gross at the same time. Lot of gross out humor in this film. The onion soup bath water scene gets me. The humor has it hits and misses, but I did find it a bit juvenile. Bud finds himself, siding with the town folks and the sheriff, when a gang of thieves lead by Colorado Slim (Richard Pizzuti) continue to attack them in search for buried gold. Can Sheriff Bronson and Bud work together, or will the gang overrun the town? Watch the movie if you can. The picture quality is a bit gritty with all the dust of the location, but only 97 minutes, despite that problem, there is rarely any slow parts. It was fun B-movie level to watch.

Breezy fun

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
20 June 2013

This comic spaghetti western can't be called one of the greats. The script is kind of a mess - for example, not long after it's established that Bud Spencer's character is pretending to be someone he's not, the movie completely forgets this for the rest of the movie. The rest of the story is also somewhat draggy at times, enough that you'll wish they would get get right down to it Also, the goofy depiction of the Native American character may offend more sensitive viewers.

Still, despite these problems, the movie does offer a decent amount of entertainment. As usual, Bud Spencer gives a great comic performance with his trademark slow burn style. The various fights his character gets into are pretty funny as well. The production values are solid, including some elaborate (and amusing) sight gags. And Ennio Morricone, composing a rare score for a comedy, provides appropriate background music for the silliness. So if you are looking for a silly spaghetti western, check this one out.

Bud Spencer plays doctor in Yucca

Author: liperta from nordrand, Absurdistan
22 September 2006

This movie is a spaghetti western with a zero rating. Spencer goes without his usual partner in this film. He comes to Yucca, where they believe that he is a doctor. Watching him how he cures people is simply not a riot. He has no clue what he is doing, nor does the director - never mind the script (which script ?). I watched the German version, and text was hard to follow. In the German DVD , the title used was "eine FAUST geht nach WESTEN". I haven't seen this film before, and I regret that I wasted my time seeing such an awful film production because I pretty much could not laugh the entire time I watched it. Spencer does what he usual does when they ask him to hit people. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone , specially any Bud Spencer fan who are used to a better performance than in this movie.